Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Woolie Wool posted:

Your pathetic attempts to attack one of PC gaming's greatest classics is the joke here. Quake is good and anyone who does not think Quake is good is wrong.

C'mon dude, Quake is good but it's reputation of being Brown: The Game is very well deserved and those pictures do not oppose that in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Woolie Wool posted:

Your pathetic attempts to attack one of PC gaming's greatest classics is the joke here. Quake is good and anyone who does not think Quake is good is wrong.
Of course Quake is good. It's also fairly ugly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quake looks pretty fine to me. (e2m2 Ogre Citadel)

Geight posted:

I do kinda wish someone would take a swing at Quake's art style using modern-day graphical technology, because it was a really cool mishmash of gothic/tech/interdimensional horror stuff.
Agreed, would be fun to see id make a new crazy Lovecraftian madness Quake game after the new Doom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I watched Term's video with my girlfriend in the room and she kept saying "God it sounds like he actually has a boner for this loving shotgun."

So I told her yes. Yes he does.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Woolie Wool posted:

Quake is a great game but the notion that those screenshots show off a varied color palette is pretty ridiculous. It's a monochromatic game, that's a core aspect of its aesthetic, there's no reason to try and deny it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Woolie Wool posted:

Will UT4 always be using the awful UT3 assets?

They've been replacing stuff, but it's partially a community project so you get rather slow progress.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

IronicDongz posted:

that anyone would use these screenshots
as examples of color versatility is a really good unintentional joke

Well, the top on has some grey.

If you bump up the brightness a couple notches from the bottom it's a lot beter I guess. And, ironically, Gloom Keep is a lot less gloomy than previous levels.

Edit: Oh, regarding Term's video... the other weapons I always found satisfying in Doom are the BFG (the underwhelming shot for such a big gun followed by the GIANT GREEN DEATH BALL works brilliantly) and the plasma gun (which while it doesn't feel that powerful, does make you feel like you're just utterly filling the room with big balls of death)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 30, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Despite how plain they are, I'm a big fan of Quake 1's arsenel. They weapons are simple, but almost all of them have a defined and useful role. Here's how I see each of them:

Shotgun: Good for ranged shots. With enough patience, you can even take down a Shambler with ease using it.

Super Shotgun: Your workhorse. It's useful against any enemy type and uses the most common type in maps. I find it's quite good for very close quarters work; I break it out when I enter a tight corridor so I have a safe but effective weapon in case I get a Knight or Ogre surprise.

Nailgun: Nice for early-level crowd control. I used to be an SSG whore early on in a map, but the NG makes taking out groups so much easier. Oftentimes your best weapon in base maps.

Super Nailgun: It's oftentimes the most powerful weapon for serious crowd control and taking down the big nasties quickly because of a lack of Lightning Gun. It's power is balanced by the sheer amount of ammo it eats up, so I usually reserve it for very dangerous situations.

Grenade Launcher: Its bouncing projectiles make it great for probing an area for any enemies very close to a room's entrance and to clear out small rooms without actually entering them.

Rocket Launcher: IMO, the best overall weapon in the game for the amount of damage it does, it's good firing rate, fast projectiles, and how much ammo it can hold. Unfortuantly, custom map makers tend to be stringy with rocket ammo, so the Rocket Launcher is more of a special occasion weapon in them instead of being the all-rounder it is in the ID maps.

Lighnting Gun: The ultimate panic weapon and Shamber/Vore buster. It's a straightforward super-weapon; no weird gimmicks (like the BFG 9000), but has the power to shred anything to pieces. It's plain on paper, but it kicks serious rear end.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

lmao

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I place Quake 1 as one of my top 5 games of all time and I'm one of the few people that rates Quake 1 higher than Doom, but even I admit that Q1's brown pallete could get pretty bad at times.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

For comparison:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all i want to do is play quake again now

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

all i want to do is play quake again now

Grab Quakespasm and go to town buddy.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Geight posted:

I do kinda wish someone would take a swing at Quake's art style using modern-day graphical technology, because it was a really cool mishmash of gothic/tech/interdimensional horror stuff.

Minus the tech stuff; That's Bloodborne!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

czg posted:

Minus the tech stuff; That's Bloodborne!

It's really not. I get that you could describe Bloodborne as gothic/inter dimensional but there's no way that translates into it being aesthetically similar to Quake. If anything Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are probably more similar in terms of what they try to accomplish with their environments - really forbidding dark grimy dungeons and castles where you never know what is going to jump you next - even though they don't really have the occult/scifi themes. I can imagine getting bombarded by Ogres and Vores as I descend 5-1 without too much trouble. Still that's kind of loose similarity, they both have scary dark medieval maps. I'd have a really hard time thinking of anything modern that is similar to Quake's art style actually.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Quake by the nature of its age is very simple when it comes to its architecture, I think it isn't replicated a lot nowadays because people expect way more. Bloodborne is the closest thing I can think of.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

It's really not. I get that you could describe Bloodborne as gothic/inter dimensional but there's no way that translates into it being aesthetically similar to Quake. If anything Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are probably more similar in terms of what they try to accomplish with their environments - really forbidding dark grimy dungeons and castles where you never know what is going to jump you next - even though they don't really have the occult/scifi themes. I can imagine getting bombarded by Ogres and Vores as I descend 5-1 without too much trouble. Still that's kind of loose similarity, they both have scary dark medieval maps. I'd have a really hard time thinking of anything modern that is similar to Quake's art style actually.

So, you didn't finish Bloodborne then.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Heavy Metal posted:

Why do we do this to ourselves. :wal: I'm sure it only gets worse. :stat:

I died at least once during every big dust up in Surface Tension. Somebody on the BMS team runs off player tears.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Quake by the nature of its age is very simple when it comes to its architecture, I think it isn't replicated a lot nowadays because people expect way more. Bloodborne is the closest thing I can think of.

I'm actually kinda curious at how Quake would look if it was made with modern graphics capabilities in mind. Still the same 1996 gameplay and all, but with a modern take on its iconic architecture and aesthetics.

If nothing else, just to see the shamblers in full blood-soaked furry scariness.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 30, 2015

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So I just tried Duke Nukem 3D XBLA out of curiosity in the Xenia emulator and it works perfectly! This is gonna be interesting playthrough! :)

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 30, 2015

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Bloodborne environment is Quake as hell, but so is Dark Souls!?!? Maybe the truth is out there in the middle somewhere?? :butt:

And to go off on a dumb tangent:
The beasts in Nightmare Frontier are basically shamblers without lightning. The angry kitties in the Darkwood garden are fiends. Alvina makes zombie noises. Knights are knights I guess? Uuh..

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

I've heard an explanation that broshooters' use of brown comes from the technology of the PS360 era being unable to handle vibrantly colored environments without looking unnatural due to lighting limitations, but I don't buy it

Yeah this is completely bogus, not least because the trend started on the PS2/Original Xbox/GameCube.

Nokiaman posted:

So I just tried Duke Nukem 3D XBLA out of curiosity in the Xenia emulator and it works perfectly! This is gonna be interesting playthrough! :)

How fast does Xenia run on your system and what hardware you got? Last I tried it it could only do like 15 fps on the Frogger XBLA release.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

How fast does Xenia run on your system and what hardware you got? Last I tried it it could only do like 15 fps on the Frogger XBLA release.

Well none of my 3D games work so dunno on that part.

Here are my specs:
Intel Core i7-3770S 3.1 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

DN3D runs fullspeed with no drops at all.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I found another bug in super8--the game does not account for the reduced size of the game window when using the status bar background and stretches the whole screen horizontally. Since I set the status bar to be exactly the same size as it is in 320x240, with some simple math I was able to correct this by telling super8 to render in the aspect ratio 2.01:1...except that Makaqu, QuakeSpasm, and the ZDoom family do this on the fly and don't need me to input a corrected aspect ratio.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

KozmoNaut posted:

If nothing else, just to see the shamblers in full blood-soaked furry scariness.

In the Quake community whether shamblers have fur or not is hotly disputed...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm pretty sure John Romero confirmed it.

(also "full blood-soaked furry scariness" makes me imagine a fursuit with the Shambler's blood stain pattern charging a lightning attack)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm pretty sure John Romero confirmed it.
Romero says yes, Adrian Carmack says no.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well I'll never except anything except the Shambler looking like a walking shag carpet with claws and teeth. :colbert:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lol

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I decided to actually play with that idea for mech doom. scribbles!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

czg posted:

Bloodborne environment is Quake as hell, but so is Dark Souls!?!? Maybe the truth is out there in the middle somewhere?? :butt:

And to go off on a dumb tangent:
The beasts in Nightmare Frontier are basically shamblers without lightning. The angry kitties in the Darkwood garden are fiends. Alvina makes zombie noises. Knights are knights I guess? Uuh..

I would absolutely love a fps in Lordran. Jesus christ, just give me Quake guns in Dark Souls and it's the best game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would absolutely love a fps in Lordran. Jesus christ, just give me Quake guns in Dark Souls and it's the best game.

Do a lot to lower the blood pressure of Dark Souls players as a whole. :laugh:

Also I found this.

some black mesa workshop page posted:

sk_human_commander_health "40" was "70"
sk_human_grenadier_health "30" was "60"
sk_human_grunt_health "25" was "60"
sk_human_medic_health "20" was "50"
sk_barnacle_blunt_dmg_scale "999" was "1"

Compared to the original half life.

some HL page posted:

Health: 50/50/80
Damage: Shotgun: 3/5/6
Damage: Assault Rifle: 3/4/5
Damage: Kick: 5/10/10

:ughh:

I feel that when enemy numbers go up, individual enemy heath should go down, but that's just me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

I decided to actually play with that idea for mech doom. scribbles!

This is good and I hope it goes far. :ohdear:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Some say Quake is a monochrome brown game, but in the map lfdm12...it's monochrome YELLOW.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's Jericho, which is the probably also the brownest game this side of Quake.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tippis posted:

For comparison:

What makes that one fuchsia so much more wrong than the other almost-identical fuchsia?

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm actually kinda curious at how Quake would look if it was made with modern graphics capabilities in mind. Still the same 1996 gameplay and all, but with a modern take on its iconic architecture and aesthetics.

(I almost want somebody to plug that palette in for a laugh.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

What makes that one fuchsia so much more wrong than the other almost-identical fuchsia?

(I almost want somebody to plug that palette in for a laugh.)

At a guess, one of them is the masking color for transparency effects?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

The "correct" one is transparency. The "wrong" one I'm pretty sure is fullbright, glow-in-the-dark fuchsia.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Elliotw2 posted:

There's Jericho, which is the probably also the brownest game this side of Quake.

Goddamn that game could have been awesome :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Some more Quake 1 map mini-reviews:

The Elektra Complex: A fun map that is very inspired by ID's E2M5. The biggest issue is that there is way too much ammo and health in the map. That, combined with the low enemy count and basic enemy placement, makes it way too easy.

One thing I did like was how interconnected the map is; you can oftentimes see a path long before you can use it and you can easily go form one area to another if you want. I also liked how, early on, you can see slime pits, but the Enviro Suit needed to hop into them only appeared much later in the map, where by that point, the slime pit serves as an optional but useful goodie room.

I'm not sure how the author did it, but he made the map very easy to follow and understand, despite most of the map looking the same. Kudos to him.

It sounds like I dislike the map, but I think it's actually pretty good.

Epoch: A mine-themed map that is actually pretty good! Combat can be tense because you don't have a lot of room to move around, but the author gives you plenty of firepower to compensate for the somewhat cramped map design.

Item placement is pretty good most of the map. I felt that I had too much ammo by the end, but in most of the map, it was just right.

Enemy layout is pretty standard for a 1997 map, so don't expect a lot of challenge for the most part. There are a decent amount of enemies, though, so be ready.

Graphically, the map is heavily inspired by E1M3. You start off in a rocky area, then enter a brown castle, just like in E1M3. The author tried to mix things up by having the castle part briefly become a base, but it's weird; it appears the castle is being built over a base that has a few Grunts and Enforcers roaming around in it. I think a better idea would've been to have the base theme appear as some sort of anceint ruin underneath the castle, like you'd see in an old RPG. That would make more sense than a castle being built over a base for some strange reason.

Epoch is a pretty solid map, especially for one made in 1997. It doesn't really do anything extrodinary in terms of graphics or enemy layout, like you'd see in modern maps, but it does what it does well, which is just fine to me.

DM3 Remix: An awesome SP version of DM3. It takes DM3's basic layout and makes it into a great SP map filled with cool architecture and devious enemy placement. It's a base-themed map, but it makes good use of Grunts and Enforcers in a way that's challenging instead of having slowly picking them off one-by-one while they pose no threat to you, like in some other base-themed maps. There are several Enforcers placed above you, so you'll need to snipe them with the Shotgun while avoiding shots from other Enforcers. It's a fun twist on an otherwise simple enemy type.

The map does a great job with altering DM3's layout to be a great SP map. The Megahealth room is now a hub for the rest of the map that also serves as a Shambler trap, the Super Nailgun room is a brief but fun switchhunt that ends with you getting the Lightning Gun, and the Pentagram room is filled with Enforcers raining down lasers from above. You can clearly see thatm ost of the mpa is DM3, but it's altered in such a way that it feels like it was built from the ground up for SP instead of being a modified DM3.

Architecture is very nice; it has the trappings of modern Base maps, but also has cool technology bits, like brush-based computers laying around and neat machines. Good texture use gives a lot of details to the map. It's a treat to look at for a Quake 1 Base map.

The parts that stick out the most are the Shamber traps. Occasionally, Shamblers will spawn in, and they're placed in a way that you really need to think when dealing with them. It adds a really nice challenge to a typical base map because you have no idea when they're coming and they're placed in a way that you're going to be in serious trouble, no matter how well-prepared you think you are beforehand. Later on in the map, Vores and Fiends enter the fray to make things even more difficult. Thankfully, the map designer gives you all of Q1's weapons in the map, so you're not plinking every Shambler to death with the Nailgun or Shotgun.

Props to the map designer for actually including a Lighting Gun in a map filled with Enforcers. The huge Cell surplus you usually have in a Base map is finally put to use!

I'd say this and DM7 Remix are my favorite in the DMx remix series. Even if you're not familiar with the DM map it is based on, you really should play this.

DM5 Remix: It's a sewer map that doesn't suck! Seriously! Objectiles are placed close enoguh that there's no wandering around like an idiot, like in most sewer maps in games, the architecture is different enough from sewer maps that you don't get the "been there, done that" feel you get in most sewers, and the combat is fun instead of a drag.

The map has far fewer enemies than DM3 Remix, but they're used in a way that they're just as challenging as the enemies in Dm3 Remix are. The big issue is that the map is a lot more cramped than DM3 Remix is, so you need to be creative when taking enemies on. I've found that retreting and keeping your distance between you and the enemies is a great way to make encounters easier.

Compared to most maps, you don't get the Super Shotgun for a while. The map maker takes advantage of this, so you'll have to do things like take on tough enemies, from Ogres to two Shamblers at once, with the Nailgun and Shotgun. Considering how cramped the maps are, retreating is a must. I've found that Shotgun sniping makes the Shamblers a lot more managable.

The architecture is plain, but there are some pipes here and there to make it look more like a sewer area.

Ammo and health are placed welll there's enough that you can feel confident taking enemies on, but not enough where you're swimming in ammo and feel invincible because of all the health in the map.

Unlike DM3 Remix, I don't see how this map is inspired by DM5. Not that is a bad thing, mind you.

Shoutout to the final batle, which is basically a shooting range with Death Knights, Ogres, and Vores that features you as the target. In-fighting is a huge help when dealing with this. The Red Armor pickup given to you beforehand is a must-have.

The only part I didn't like was an underwater path early on that had two Spawns in it. The Spawns are almost impossible to deal with without taking huge damage unless you know they're there beforehand.

DM7 Remix: On paper, this is a remix of the unused DM7 map. However, in practice, it's a really cool vertical map themed on E1M5. The idea is that you need to ascend to the top of a tower in order to grab a key to unlock the exit. The map itself doesn't occupy a lot of space, but the map flows in a way that makes it feel like a decent-sized journey. The emphasis on going up instead of forward gives the map a unique feel compared to other ones I've been playing recently.

Combat is challenging; around the halfway point, Vores start showing up on the roofs of some buildings, so you'll really be putting your SNG to use dealing with them. There are also some encounters with Shamblers in tight spaces, so be ready for some melee-baiting and using small pillars as cover. Hordes occasionally pop up as well.

Architecture is quite nice; it really seels the idea of an abandonded and creepy industrial tower in the middle of a mountain. Like other DMx Remix maps, it doens't get in the way when fighting.

Like the other DMx Remix maps; item placement is just right. I never found myself wishing I had more of a certain ammo type, but at the same time, I never felt like I had way too much of it.

One part I thought was interesting is that you get the Super Nailgun at the start of the map, but the Super Shotgun is obtained much later. It's a curious design decision that works pretty well; you can use it to blow away Death Knights early on with ease, but you could use the Shotgun against Death Knights and keep the Super Nailgun for large hordes.

This map has a cool twist at the end of it. I won't spoil it, but be prepared.

It rivals DM Remix as my favorite DM map remix and, like the rest of the series, is a must-play.