Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GuavaMoment posted:

I prefer to believe the more realistic scenario in that the writers of Drakengard 3 never played the first two, so they went to the first place they found online to read an LP of them - the Dark Id's LPs. These people then failed to understand that Dark Id was inserting his own dialog at times, and assumed Drakengard was a weird fourth-wall breaking meta sort of odd game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GuavaMoment posted:

I prefer to believe the more realistic scenario in that the writers of Drakengard 3 never played the first two, so they went to the first place they found online to read an LP of them - the Dark Id's LPs. These people then failed to understand that Dark Id was inserting his own dialog at times, and assumed Drakengard was a weird fourth-wall breaking meta sort of odd game.

This is not impossible. Stranger things have happened.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speedball posted:

This is not impossible. Stranger things have happened.

Drakengard 3 was written primarily by the same guy that wrote and directed 1, though.

Yoko Taro is amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Drakengard 3 was written primarily by the same guy that wrote and directed 1, though.

Yoko Taro is amazing.

Oh, hahaha. Then since Yoko Taro does indeed know who TDI is maybe he just really, REALLY liked the LPs. That is also not impossible, just ask Guava Moment about his Otto Zander reference.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GuavaMoment posted:

Oh ok so it's like if Mission J. Frog appeared in Metal Gear Solid 5 then.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

RatHat posted:

This would please me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

It's more like if Drake discovered Sully's incredibly extensive list of diseases despite being immune to all of them.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

RatHat posted:

What did Dark Id do with Drakengard?
I was more talking about how that Taro Yoko, the creator of Drakengard, actually sent him a package with the Drakengard poster signed by cavia inc, and basically thanked Dark Id for increasing sales of his games calling him "his ambassador to the West".

THAT'S what I meant and it is awesome...but yeah I forget how incredibly self-aware to a disturbing context the third game got cuz jesus.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FinalGamer posted:

I was more talking about how that Taro Yoko, the creator of Drakengard, actually sent him a package with the Drakengard poster signed by cavia inc, and basically thanked Dark Id for increasing sales of his games calling him "his ambassador to the West".
Wait what? Didn't TDI mercilessly mock the poo poo out of that game? It increased sales?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

anilEhilated posted:

Wait what? Didn't TDI mercilessly mock the poo poo out of that game? It increased sales?
It actually got people's attention because while Drakengard 1's gameplay is poo poo, the plot, setting, and characters are batshit insane and it endeared itself to people.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
It seemed pretty obvious that the game hated everyone and the player in particular and the devs were probably happy to have someone get it and engage in mutual animosity with the game. And while I never played Drakengard, it put Cavia on my radar so that when I heard that Nier was a sequel to Drakengard's batshit final ending with gameplay that wasn't awful I had to go and get it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, it also didn't hurt that Nier is a legit great game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

anilEhilated posted:

This was during the Nier drakengard 2 lp, my bad. Not saying he didn't mock Nier, but he also praised it for the characters and poo poo. Plenty of people bought the game because of that lp. Later on he mentioned how in a drunken stupor he'd emailed Taro Yoko a link to the lp alongside like some sales statistics. Big surprise was when he got a reply and some neat swag.

It was pretty cool.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 30, 2015

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, it also didn't hurt that Nier is a legit great game.

Drakengard is also kind of a great game, or at least an eminently interesting one. Taro Yoko is a really thoughtful director whose games have a very direct thematic throughline, and the thing about Drakengard that gets lost in all of the talk about "oh this game is so weird and bad and crazy isn't it hilarious" is it's actually an extremely pointed work of satire deconstructing the action game/movie premise that you can somehow be a hero and make the world a better place by running around murdering people. It's an abrasive, unpleasant, and unsettling experience by design, which is why it's so fascinating and unique even though you probably don't actually want to play it. It's also part of why Nier ends up being such a genuinely great game, because while Drakengard's satire is arguably sort of hamfisted it lays the thematic groundwork for Nier to tackle most of the same questions in a way that's a lot more nuanced and subtle and emotionally engaging.

I don't know what happens in Drakengard 3--I have some vague intention of playing it myself eventually so I haven't read the LP, though I may end up just sitting down and doing that anyway--but it doesn't surprise me that it gets really weird and meta in an apparently unsettling way. Yoko's games have always had a strong reflexive impulse running through them (Drakengard is basically an extremely dark parody of Dynasty Warriors, and Nier is a giant takedown of the video game standard "you have to kill all the monsters to save the world!" story) and one of their big thematic goals is to examine the relationship video games have to violence. Here's a video where the man, or at least his sock puppet, says as much himself. I can't speak to how exactly Drakengard 3 builds on the theme, but going meta with it makes sense as a next step in that progression.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 31, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yoko Taro is basically the polar opposite of the kind of stuff that produced Watch_Dogs, to bring it back. His games have a strong thematic idea to them and while they're insane and the gameplay is weird, they are dedicated to communicating it.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Aiden's as deep as the ocean blue..........

Episode 17: Deep Blue.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why doesn't Aiden use the Batcave to find the Riddler and save his sisterwife, again?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
DragGramma is my favourite character

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Aiden's sister is taking the whole kidnapping by Aiden's former friend/partner and finding out he's a criminal hacker pretty well in that phone call at the beginning. Damien's trying to be so menacing and threatening to Aiden, but his sister seems so calm and sarcastic by comparison. I was having trouble believing they were even supposed to be in the same room during that conversation.

And I just noticed this, the guy named Damien turns out to be a bad guy. Surprise.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Chip Cheezum posted:

Note: the ocean is technically not blue

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
For the record the song that plays is C.R.E.A.M. and it's performed by Wu-Tang Clan, not NWA.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Ahem, that's Wu Tang Clan, not NWA.

E: Beaten

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
Rest in peace ODB

Edit: I would totally wear Bedbug's hoodie.

Demonbait fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 31, 2015

Antikythera
Jan 27, 2011

Just like clockwork.
This whole game is so full of things that would have been so cool, but it's just bogged down by a bunch of crummy Ubisoft tropes.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Why does Jordi work for/with Aiden? Aiden just acts like a dick to him, doesn't help Jordi out, point blank refusing to repay any of the favors we've seen Jordi perform for Aiden. Unless this gets elaborated on later, to me it just seems like Jordi should stop taking Aiden's calls after a while. "Aiden? gently caress, now I'm gonna come up with the explosives he wants, or snipe people to protect him, or kill a bunch of gang members to hide him kidnapping someone. gently caress, Maurice is still crying in my apartment. And I'm not even getting paid? Not even a 'Thank you'?"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wow, that phone call with Nicky was awful. She seriously sounds like she's just chilling at a friend's house as opposed to HAVING BEEN KIDNAPPED AND HAVING HAD THUGS SENT AFTER HER SON. Jesus christ.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Garrand posted:

Wow, that phone call with Nicky was awful. She seriously sounds like she's just chilling at a friend's house as opposed to HAVING BEEN KIDNAPPED AND HAVING HAD THUGS SENT AFTER HER SON. Jesus christ.

It would fit in a game that had some ounce of fun in it, you know someone get's kidnapped and are just trying to be chatty and jovial but in the grimdark cyberfuture it really stands out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"How dare you ask me to mix these two already dead guys in with the dozen men I'm going to murder tonight" -Aiden Pierce

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Desfore posted:

Why does Jordi work for/with Aiden? Aiden just acts like a dick to him, doesn't help Jordi out, point blank refusing to repay any of the favors we've seen Jordi perform for Aiden. Unless this gets elaborated on later, to me it just seems like Jordi should stop taking Aiden's calls after a while. "Aiden? gently caress, now I'm gonna come up with the explosives he wants, or snipe people to protect him, or kill a bunch of gang members to hide him kidnapping someone. gently caress, Maurice is still crying in my apartment. And I'm not even getting paid? Not even a 'Thank you'?"

Money.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Why doesn't Aiden use the Batcave to find the Riddler and save his sisterwife, again?

The Batcave hardly does anything in the game.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, the game's only made passing reference to it and it's easy to overlook but Jordi is on Aiden's payroll. I imagine Aiden's essentially paying Jordi a salary (out of some offshore bank account independent from whatever money the player has) to be on-call for any dirty doings he might need done.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 31, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...did Ed Asner come in to voice Bedbug's Gramma or was that someone else? Also, yes Chip, I would gladly play a game involving stuff like Jordi described in the ice cream truck. That would have been a lot better than the crap we've been going through so far.

Garrand posted:

Chip (and other people here) have mentioned that dialogue got recorded in separate groups. Phone conversations were done as their own group, and apparently nobody thought to do simple Q/A on the calls to make sure they lined up with their location in the game. Which results in a recently kidnapped woman talking to her brotherhusband like it's a regular normal day when she is actually being held against her will by a crazy man in a place she more than likely does not know about.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, the game's only made passing reference to it and it's easy to overlook but Jordi is on Aiden's payroll. Presumably Aiden's paying him an ongoing fee (presumably out of some offshore bank account independent from whatever money the player has) to have Jordi on-call to take care of anything that might come up.

Oh, okay. I completely missed that.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Things that stuck out to me in just the first conversation of the video: Damien apparently still reads a plain ol' newspaper despite the setting and his role of hacker villain and, as Ironicus pointed out, Aiden wearing his heart on his sleeve in regards to his definite sister and not wife. More than both of those, why is Nicky so chill while kidnapped? She's just laughing and having a good time on the phone with her brotherhusband. Did this game have three different directors fighting each other the whole time?

E: Bedbug's grandma is my favorite character in this so far.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 31, 2015

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Desfore posted:

Oh, okay. I completely missed that.

You'd be forgiven for thinking Jordi is working pro bono, since he might as well be both mechanically and in the storyline, but there's a couple of lines (I think mostly in the opening scenes) where he says some "this is what you pay me for"-type stuff.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 31, 2015

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

yes, ubisoft, we know

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like Jordi's stories a lot better than the actual game story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Midnight Voyager posted:

I like Jordi's stories a lot better than the actual game story.
Audio Log Iraq should have been the MC and Jordi should have been his lovable sidekick.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The setup to fend off the horde thing has been tried in Bioshock 2 and gamers apparently hate fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

Episode 17: Deep Blue.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

I was 100% sure that Jeordi was going to kill Aiden with the look he gave him when he said no.

Aiden is the loving worst.

• Locked thread