Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Marmadouche posted:

I know there are many more pressing questions, but why did the Dornia have tentacles? I thought she couldn't exist in this dimension of matter.

Could have been a probe or a drone of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

RIP Marty: you were truly the hero that this show deserved, even though you... didn't actually do anything. :patriot:

RIP Anne: you died like a total chump at literally the last second by being a stubborn idiot. ( Too bad it didn't stick. :argh: )

RIP Pope: just loving die already, holy poo poo are you even human

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

what a steaming pile of horseshit, just like I thought. goddamn

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
drat it, the show couldn't even kill off one Mason to take the edge off the suck.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It was a whole lot like the finale of Star Trek: Enterprise, minus Fat Riker.

Tom helped to found a Space UN and then gave a rousing speech.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I've had wet farts more exciting than that, jesus.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
:barf:

At least we got the happy, super-duper-One-World-Government ending that nobody wanted. (Humans are terrible, global unity wont last 15 years... Actually, that would be a really good spinoff, watching it all fall apart into sectarian violence, with the Volm having to pick a side.)

Edit: The Queen's lovely cave painting animation that laid out the yshveni/Human history was so loving terrible it almost wrapped around to being good, for all the wrong reasons.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 31, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MullardEL34 posted:

:barf:

At least we got the happy, super-duper-One-World-Government ending that nobody wanted. (Humans are terrible, global unity wont last 15 years... Actually, that would be a really good spinoff, watching it all fall apart into sectarian violence, with the Volm having to pick a side.)

Edit: The Queen's lovely cave painting animation that laid out the yshveni/Human history was so loving terrible it almost wrapped around to being good, for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, those cave paintings made 1500 years ago by primitive humans lol that made zero sense

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I'm going to remember the moment when I finished the pilot and was excited about where this show could go. I'm going to remember that and forget the last 5 years of Sundays I wasted to Falling Skies. I'm going to fondly recall that one-episode pilot with a fantastic setup and be vaguely upset it never got picked up for 5 seasons. It's better that way.

gently caress you, Tom Mason.

e- the moment when pope just expires and tom just casually looks over with a half smirk and goes back to staring at the ocean waiting for jesusanne to appear. christ.

Caedus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 31, 2015

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't catch the end so what was the war about? And what was the alien at the end of season 3

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

"The only habitable planet in the galaxy", 'immense stragetic value', somehow humans from 500 ad managed to overpower some overloads and the queens daughter.

THEN WHERE DID YOU EVOLVE? ISN'T EVERY OVERLOAD YOUR KIN? holy gently caress the more i think about this the angrier i get.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

At least we didnt get president crossing the Delaware but I refuse to believe they didn't film it.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Caedus posted:

"The only habitable planet in the galaxy", 'immense stragetic value', somehow humans from 500 ad managed to overpower some overloads and the queens daughter.

THEN WHERE DID YOU EVOLVE? ISN'T EVERY OVERLOAD YOUR KIN? holy gently caress the more i think about this the angrier i get.

I assume a different galaxy?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

At least we didnt get president crossing the Delaware but I refuse to believe they didn't film it.

biggest disappointment of 2015

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
For the last show of the series they spent like fifteen minutes wandering around the Espheni egg room

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

max4me posted:

Couldn't catch the end so what was the war about? And what was the alien at the end of season 3

Apparently humans in 500 AD killed this queen's daughter and nobody bothered to write that down or pass it on in oral history and all the signs of war were lost to the ages because sure why not.

I love that Pope was alive, barely, and telepathically knew where Tom Mason would be and dragged his half dead rear end to him just to call him an rear end in a top hat one final time. THAT is quality writing.

I'm going to miss this show, there's always a place in my heart for profoundly terrible sci-fi and man oh man did Falling Skies fit the bill.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So was the 500AD thing supposed to coincide with anything in actual history? Maybe they showed up in Central America? Who from that era would be all like, let's eat the alien flesh, it'll give us strength! I remember a few weeks ago on the "previously on" bit, there was some comment about how the aliens had been here before, but the payoff was a joke. Why 500AD? At least go with the pyramids thing or something. Oldest Son proposing right as they were detonating explosives in an underground tunnel full of alien horrors was pretty eye rolling as well. All the flying aliens turning into fireworks to celebrate to victory of Tom Mason was ....a thing that occurred.

Overall it was about what I expected.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Iowa Snow King posted:

For the last show of the series they spent like fifteen minutes wandering around the Espheni egg room

"Don't disturb the eggs, a highly trained and technology advanced alien combat team was massacred once"

*shines loving torch at the egg like a tool*

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Thanks for keeping with my expectations till the very end, Falling Skies.

They spent 30 minutes introducing new characters and bringing them up to speed. We didn't even get to see any grand battles, but no we had to spend time following these idiots in an underground egg room. They could have literally just said "Don't disturb these eggs, let's just move past them quickly and quietly" but no there is always some bullshit that has to go on with even the simplest task.

Why didn't the Queen notice Tom reaching for the glowing dildo ex-machina? She cannot perceive he had a plan of some kind and wasn't coming to just talk to her?

Good bye, show.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I dunno. The egg room felt like a nice D-grade Aliens knockoff.

The cave paintings from 500AD was . . . odd.

Pretty terrible but what can you do.

Edit: I really appreciated the mumbling during the cave painting bit. You could tell the writers didn't really have much to work with so just kinda stumbled along to see what would happen.

Edit 2: I also really appreciate how they took the time at the end to thank everyone who watched all 5 seasons. I'm sure it took some coordination with the NSA, but it was for a good cause. Going the extra mile like that really leaves a positive impression.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 31, 2015

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

JohnCrichton posted:

I'm hoping for Pope to show up in the last 5 minutes of the finale.

Did I call it or what!

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
For some reason, Anne being resurrected at the end pissed me off the most. At least her dying would have made Pope and Mason even, but gently caress that I guess. Mason has it all and Pope loses everything. gently caress this poo poo, I'm glad it's dead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It's finally over.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Tailored Sauce posted:

They could have literally just said "Don't disturb these eggs, let's just move past them quickly and quietly" but no there is always some bullshit that has to go on with even the simplest task.

Haha that's basically the heart of Falling Skies, something exciting is always theoretically around the corner but entire scenes, episodes, and seasons go by before they get there because they have to sit around jacking off some alien eggs, and then the show ends.

For a second I thought that Mason wasn't going to be able to get to the death dildo and that maybe the Dornia had infected him with space AIDS or something, knowing that he would find a way to get to the queen and knowing that the queen wanted to suck his blood (for reasons?!) and that it was all a sneaky way of killing the queen, who would naturally be way too fast to actually get killed by the space dildo... but nope, he just grabbed it with Magic Reach and killed her.

Also laughing at all the stuff they made up along the way that clashes with what the queen said. If she just wanted to kill all the humans why did the Aspheni spend years making children carry around scrap metal?! What in the loving... What was with those space nazi children camps? Why not just kill them? What was the point of Lexi?!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

Or...they just do what the pilot episode did and have kids drawings depict all the battle scenes.

Nailed it.

See you later Falling Skies. You will be mildly remembered as that stupid show I used to watch.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

so when they cut to Ben writing a book about the "last world war" or whatever it was, I started laughing because I thought they were doing the whole "it was all just a story!!" thing

but then the only light was candles so I was like oh thank god, it only mostly sucked instead of being entirely made up

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

so when they cut to Ben writing a book about the "last world war" or whatever it was, I started laughing because I thought they were doing the whole "it was all just a story!!" thing

but then the only light was candles so I was like oh thank god, it only mostly sucked instead of being entirely made up

In a way that may have been a better ending. At least that way, all the terrible decisions on both sides could have been chalked up to a twelve year old with no writing skills.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Also laughing at all the stuff they made up along the way that clashes with what the queen said. If she just wanted to kill all the humans why did the Aspheni spend years making children carry around scrap metal?! What in the loving... What was with those space nazi children camps? Why not just kill them? What was the point of Lexi?!

They pretty much forget every established plot point a few episodes later.

For instance, in the very first episode they established that the aliens did something to gently caress all modern electronics on Earth, but in this last season they stumbled upon some radios that still worked somehow just because it was convenient for the plot to have Mason and Pope doing voice chat.

Earth was also long-established as a backwater that wasn't worth devoting large quantities of resources towards fully subjugating, and the Volm showed up just because they happened to be in the neighbourhood. This contradicts everything that the Queen was saying, along with what you had said.

I could probably go on for a while but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Edit: That said I'm going to miss this drat show, it was bad but there was something fun and charming about it, and I actually liked some of the characters like Pope and Weaver

Edit 2: The only thing I can think of for the awful pacing these last few episodes (introducing characters and then having them die to literal "rocks fall, everyone dies" a minute later) is if they had plans for one more season and it was cancelled but I'm not sure if that was really the case

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 1, 2015

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

BattleMaster posted:

Earth was also long-established as a backwater that wasn't worth devoting large quantities of resources towards fully subjugating, and the Volm showed up just because they happened to be in the neighbourhood. This contradicts everything that the Queen was saying, along with what you had said.

Oh man, I forgot about all that. Good call. I think if you went back and looked at everything Evil Blonde Girl said you'd also find a bunch more stuff that's inconsistent with how the show started and how it ended... It's so Falling Skies for the final villainous reveal to somehow make the entire show make even less sense. Well done writers!

SimpleAnarchy
May 9, 2002

Those are some nice headphones

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's finally over.

Amen brother.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

gently caress this show. are you seriously telling me that inejcting space aids worked.

Tom mason gets it all. gently caress you falling skies

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey it worked for will smith, savior of humanity.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My favorite part was when Biker Lapedus point blank asks Cochise "why can't you just bomb Washington with your giant alien spaceship?" and Cochise is like "...um...no....um...HEY LOOK OVER THERE!"

They also never explained the helpful Volm "resettlement" of humans to South America...

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Series should've ended with Pope riding a nuke all the way to the alien Queen's nest.

But nope, we got this weak rear end puppy poo poo. From the series that brought us stupid poo poo like "the master plan to defeat the aliens is putting a canon on some floating pieces of plywood and then cruise all the way downstream, since they'll never see us coming this way", I'm severely disappointed.

Also, not nearly god drat enough explosion. What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Batham fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 14, 2015

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

BattleMaster posted:

They pretty much forget every established plot point a few episodes later.

For instance, in the very first episode they established that the aliens did something to gently caress all modern electronics on Earth, but in this last season they stumbled upon some radios that still worked somehow just because it was convenient for the plot to have Mason and Pope doing voice chat.

I could probably go on for a while but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Edit: That said I'm going to miss this drat show, it was bad but there was something fun and charming about it, and I actually liked some of the characters like Pope and Weaver

Edit 2: The only thing I can think of for the awful pacing these last few episodes (introducing characters and then having them die to literal "rocks fall, everyone dies" a minute later) is if they had plans for one more season and it was cancelled but I'm not sure if that was really the case

Weaver should get his own prequel series about his service in the Iraq war. He was the only character that wasn't pants on head retarded/ I ever consistently liked.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

MullardEL34 posted:

Weaver should get his own prequel series about his service in the Iraq war. He was the only character that wasn't pants on head retarded/ I ever consistently liked.

Maybe you would like The Postman.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Anyone else get the feeling that the money ran out and they just slapped some stuff together. I started laughing the second they showed the Queen. Lets see the Aspheni overlords are bipedal with endoskeletons but the Queen has an exoskeleton and 8 legs?

And what happened to the tease about something bigger and badder coming from somewhere far away for the Ashpheni also the idea that this star fairing galaxy spanning empire that has wiped out and or enslaved countless technologically advanced civilizations getting their asses kicked by stone age humans.

It's kind of sad, the show had so much potential and did so many smart things early on, enslaving humans (for what ever reason) to explain why they didn't simply eradicate them introduction of another alien race (to make the premise of defeating an advanced space faring galaxy conquering race not entirely ridiculous) characters mostly doing the smart thing (save for Pope Mason should have killed Pope the first chance he got I would have).

I laughed so hard when the queen was revealed (and not just because of the quality herb I was partaking of) I was like, seriously this is what they come up with? A giant spider? After all the impressive aliens they came up with for the show this is what we get?

I suppose we should be thankful that they actually ended it rather than just leaving it hanging with no resolution but I honestly think that might have been better than the rushed garbage they came up with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Skex posted:

Anyone else get the feeling that the money ran out and they just slapped some stuff together. I started laughing the second they showed the Queen. Lets see the Aspheni overlords are bipedal with endoskeletons but the Queen has an exoskeleton and 8 legs?

And what happened to the tease about something bigger and badder coming from somewhere far away for the Ashpheni also the idea that this star fairing galaxy spanning empire that has wiped out and or enslaved countless technologically advanced civilizations getting their asses kicked by stone age humans.

It's kind of sad, the show had so much potential and did so many smart things early on, enslaving humans (for what ever reason) to explain why they didn't simply eradicate them introduction of another alien race (to make the premise of defeating an advanced space faring galaxy conquering race not entirely ridiculous) characters mostly doing the smart thing (save for Pope Mason should have killed Pope the first chance he got I would have).

I laughed so hard when the queen was revealed (and not just because of the quality herb I was partaking of) I was like, seriously this is what they come up with? A giant spider? After all the impressive aliens they came up with for the show this is what we get?

I suppose we should be thankful that they actually ended it rather than just leaving it hanging with no resolution but I honestly think that might have been better than the rushed garbage they came up with.

Yes. I got that feeling about midway through season 1.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yes. I got that feeling about midway through season 1.

I wouldn't say that they ran out of budget, but rather that they ran out of idea's of what the gently caress to do at the start of season 4. Season 5 is just a clusterfuck of "this is going no where and now this happens".

Pope was just completely wasted as a character this season. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Has anyone on the internet done an analysis of the writers on this show? I have to imagine that they cycled through them like crazy. Something was clearly going on that led to the "Introduce plot 1" -> "Introduce plot 2 (at best ignoring plot 1 but likely contradicting it)" -> "Introduce plot 3 (at best ignoring plots 1 and 2 but likely contradicting them)" .... right up to the Finale, where you had "Introduce plot N (at best ignoring all plots less than N but contradicting most of them)".

It's a wonderful recursive shitstorm.

• Locked thread