Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It seems the upgrades are equipment/character cards that go into slots and are persistent but they need to be charged. So I guess you keep a card forever but need to charge it to use it. Which is even worse, have a cool thing and grind/pay to be able to use it.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also for the ducking and iron sights, you sure that wasn't just a thing from the old Battlefront games? Have to bear in mind this is Battlefront, not Battlefield in Space.

Note sure what you mean, that this is normal in Battelfront games? I never played the old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
*derp*

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of this bad game

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I feel like EA has a real winner on their hands. By making the game as shallow and stripped down as possible, it's much cheaper to make. And unlike previous Battlefield games it doesn't need to rely on things like being "fun" or having "content" since it has the words STAR WARS on the box so people will buy it just for that.

It's like what Activision's been doin with Call of Duty but taken to the next level. It owns.

I don't think you've played the previous two battlefield games, because they definitely didn't have fun as one of their requirements on launch either. BF4 was broken and unplayable for what:.. 6 months?

This game could have been amazing, but instead looks pretty bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

cargohills posted:

I know nobody with two monitors and have been in no offices where computers have two monitors.

How loving poor is the area you live in?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Megasabin posted:

I don't think you've played the previous two battlefield games, because they definitely didn't have fun as one of their requirements on launch either. BF4 was broken and unplayable for what:.. 6 months?

This game could have been amazing, but instead looks pretty bad.

yea i heard that doctor strangelove has never played battlefield

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

How loving poor is the area you live in?

the community college i went to right out of high school has like 6000 people living in it and all poor as hell and the college still had two monitors for everyone

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Eonwe posted:

the community college i went to right out of high school has like 6000 people living in it and all poor as hell and the college still had two monitors for everyone

That's my point man.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea i was trying to emphasize your point

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh fair

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would still play Battlefront 2 if the game didn't die along with Gamespy.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would still play Battlefront 2 if the game didn't die along with Gamespy.

I would still play it if it didn't bug out and crash on modern systems if you don't plug something into the headphone jack on the front of the computer... which doesn't even exist on my computer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is this a game yet

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eonwe posted:

Is this a game yet

Not yet, citizen.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Beta incoming:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce?utm_campaign

Continue with the operation. You may fire when ready.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sith Happens posted:

Beta incoming:

quote:

the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience features the strategic card game Base Command, and lets you earn in-game Credits that unlock Star Cards, weapons, and more in Star Wars Battlefront.

Ehhhh. :flaccid:

So this confirms there are going to be micro-transactions up the rear end then, because anything that "unlocks" in a game these days means you can also buy them with real money. This is pretty disappointing news, I mean I know people already said there were micro-transactions but I don't know if anyone knew the extent. "Star Cards, weapons, and more" means there will be a lot of opportunities to nickle and dime us.

Plus these Star Cards must be the things that need recharging to be of any actual use, what a shame.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Open up your wallets gentlemen!

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

So this confirms there are going to be micro-transactions up the rear end then, because anything that "unlocks" in a game these days means you can also buy them with real money. This is pretty disappointing news, I mean I know people already said there were micro-transactions but I don't know if anyone knew the extent. "Star Cards, weapons, and more" means there will be a lot of opportunities to nickle and dime us.

Plus these Star Cards must be the things that need recharging to be of any actual use, what a shame.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's played a game developed by :dice:, or EA for that matter. You can straight up buy all of the unlocks in the battlefield games for a nominal fee.

(I might have bought the ultimate shortcut pack for BF4 when it was $10 :ssh:)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think Hardline had a similar-ish system where you could straight-up buy equipment with ingame money, too, instead of linearly unlocking it. IIRC that wasn't all too bad or grindy, at least during beta.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Welp it's worse than I thought. However, I will still buy this game. Just not sure when. Pre-order is not an option.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I know I'm gonna buy this so why not pre-order it? I'll probably get a camo or weapon skin that I'll never use for preordering and you're insane if you think I'll pass that up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It seems all pre-ordering gets you is early unlock of stuff.

http://gamepreorders.com/star-wars-battlefront

quote:

Pre-order bonuses

Pre-order Star Wars: Battlefront at any participating retailer to get access to the Battle of Jakku DLC one week before the public release on December 8. This free downloadable content includes two maps on the desert planet of Jakku, which is featured in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens movie.

As for exclusive bonuses, GameStop is offering a double-sided poster with all editions of the game (according to the website, quantities are very limited).
Deluxe Edition

The $69.99 Deluxe Edition grants instant access to DL-44 blaster, Ion Grenade, and Ion Torpedo in-game items. The player also gains Ion Shock and Victory exclusive emotes. Available on all platforms (PC version is exclusive to Origin).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So there's no server browser just skill based matchmaking.

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol

ahahaha

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Hopper posted:

It seems all pre-ordering gets you is early unlock of stuff.

http://gamepreorders.com/star-wars-battlefront

DONT Pre-order!!!!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol

yeah but did you see the gif of vader walking towards you

omg so intimidating

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol

Please tell me this is a cruel joke

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RCarr posted:

Please tell me this is a cruel joke

The joke is on us.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

DONT Pre-order!!!!

I know, I was just telling the guy above me who said he wants camo armor or whatever he thought he would get that he won't so no use in preordering.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol

For pc too? 20vs20 and "skill" based? Micro transactions? What else? Does the game only run on windows 10?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

afkmacro posted:

For pc too? 20vs20 and "skill" based? Micro transactions? What else? Does the game only run on windows 10?

I suppose Origin is as close as you can get to the old Games for Windows

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We should all make a pact to only buy this once it costs 20€/$ or less. :tinfoil:

Actually can't we just set up a Battlefront 2 server?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol

Fwiw, the matchmaking was solid, and fast. When you hit join game, you're inside of a game, with zero lag, in a matter of seconds. I understand that's not entirely forgivable, but it's definitely serviceable.

As far as micro transactions, I couldn't care less, it'll have no effect on the game. During alpha, there was no server browsing, no extras, no accuracy while zoomed, and I still put in 19 hours of Walker Assault without growing tired of it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

drunkill posted:

E: note the super star destroyer crashing in the background.

That's a regular star destroyer :cmon:

Super Star Destroyers have red engines on the bottom half of the ship

Did you even have a childhood?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hadlock posted:

That's a regular star destroyer :cmon:

Super Star Destroyers have red engines on the bottom half of the ship

Did you even have a childhood?

When he says "background", he means BACKground.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Need a new perscription, grandpa.

behind the Corvette on the right

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lol

game of the year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Welp, I stand corrected :wookie:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
You come at the king, you best not miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Remote User posted:

Fwiw, the matchmaking was solid, and fast. When you hit join game, you're inside of a game, with zero lag, in a matter of seconds. I understand that's not entirely forgivable, but it's definitely serviceable.

As far as micro transactions, I couldn't care less, it'll have no effect on the game. During alpha, there was no server browsing, no extras, no accuracy while zoomed, and I still put in 19 hours of Walker Assault without growing tired of it.

There won't be more accuracy from crouching or zooming in the final game either. This seems to be a pro-tier "casual" game.

• Locked thread