Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Boosh! posted:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/zoom-hyperrev-2015-basketball-shoe/pid-1607480/pgid-10977356

on sale plus if you use "BACK2SPORT" you get an additional 20% off for a total of $71.

Those shoes are cool as gently caress

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Awesome, they look good. Thanks.

Online I'm seeing them around 55-65, but I got mine for $35 on sale at Academy, maybe check them out?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I never thought I'd like lowtop basketball shoes, but I got some Kobe X lows and they are DOPE. The grip is so good and I haven't felt like I'm going to sprain my ankle once (knock on wood).

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

JRizzle posted:

I never thought I'd like lowtop basketball shoes, but I got some Kobe X lows and they are DOPE. The grip is so good and I haven't felt like I'm going to sprain my ankle once (knock on wood).

I'm playing in these now and I hurt my knee, but that's likely coincidence. I liked the Kobe 6s a lot more than anything that has come after. The 7s were ok. The 10s feel a bit more like a shoe and less like a sock which is what appealed to me about the 6s in the first place.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

havelock posted:

I'm playing in these now and I hurt my knee, but that's likely coincidence. I liked the Kobe 6s a lot more than anything that has come after. The 7s were ok. The 10s feel a bit more like a shoe and less like a sock which is what appealed to me about the 6s in the first place.

The first time I played in them my knee felt weirdly strained, but since then it's been fine.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I prefer the Nike Air Zoom Soldier VII They're an old version that you should be able to grab for the higher end of the spectrum. A little heavy, but very safe if you're worried about your ankles.

Kyrie 1's are sweet if you can grab a pair and I love them more than any other basketball shoe i've ever worn, but they're a much pricier shoe.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Contact on a contested rebound tonight and my neck got wrenched now there's a throbbing pain from the back of my neck down my spine to the small of my back. Anyone have advice on what I can do? Or just rest?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JRizzle posted:

I really, really hate lowtops. Seems like it's so easy to roll your ankle in them.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Doltos posted:

I really, really hate lowtops. Seems like it's so easy to roll your ankle in them.

My Kobe experience is the opposite, partly because the 6s had a thinner sole, so it felt like I was standing on the ground rather than on a big tall cushion with a side edge you can catch. I also feel like it helped me build up strength. It's obviously tough to be in any way scientific though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Contact on a contested rebound tonight and my neck got wrenched now there's a throbbing pain from the back of my neck down my spine to the small of my back. Anyone have advice on what I can do? Or just rest?

Ice and rest.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

RCarr posted:

Ice and rest.

Light stretching eventually but yeah.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Doltos posted:

Trust me, I am terrified of rolling my ankles because I used to have Steph Curry problems with mine before I started wearing actual basketball shoes. I feel like the Kobes being lower to the ground helps prevent that somehow or something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Went to bed last night with a little bit of a tweak in my knee, woke up with swelling and pain and I can't bend it more than 45 degrees or so without shooting pain

gently caress

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just bought a pair of the LeBron 12's. I'm going to attempt to play tonight without wearing them in at all. Pray for my feet goons. I will report back.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Probably the last week of outdoor bball for my group. Need to find an indoor spot. And pneu kicks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

Went to bed last night with a little bit of a tweak in my knee, woke up with swelling and pain and I can't bend it more than 45 degrees or so without shooting pain

gently caress

That's probably normal swelling from a little sprain or strain, just ice it and stay off it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

Just bought a pair of the LeBron 12's. I'm going to attempt to play tonight without wearing them in at all. Pray for my feet goons. I will report back.

Gotta say I love them. They are extremely comfortable. I played for 2 hours straight and have zero blisters, aches, or pains. I even came down on someones foot a few times and the support is solid. I'm not letting them touch concrete, so hopefully they last a while. A+ would recommend.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's probably normal swelling from a little sprain or strain, just ice it and stay off it

Eh I dunno. I'd get a doctor to look at any joint pain that leads to decreased flexion and extension.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

RCarr posted:

Gotta say I love them. They are extremely comfortable. I played for 2 hours straight and have zero blisters, aches, or pains. I even came down on someones foot a few times and the support is solid. I'm not letting them touch concrete, so hopefully they last a while. A+ would recommend.

They look like such massive bricks... did they feel heavy or overly large at all?

(Compared to KD7 / Clutchfit)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That was my main concern. Believe it or not they don't feel heavy or clunky at all. They fit my feet really well and are flexible enough that I never really had to think about them. They probably aren't as light as my last pair of shoes (Adidas D-Rose's), but I honestly didn't notice a difference.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just had the most fun game of my life yesterday.

We were running 4's and had the rec center to ourselves somehow. All eight players were really good at defense and we were getting crazy blocks/strips everywhere even though people seemed generally competent on offense. I started the game by picking this dude's pocket on the arc, spinning around and accidentally firing it directly to the opposite team's post player, who spun around with a sweet hook shot that was blocked from behind by the shortest guy on our team. It just felt like every possession was like that. By mid game everyone was just loving laughing at each other. The game winning shot was on a mid-range turn around jumper that got barely grazed enough to block it, then tip drilled in by our own guy for the loss.

Oh this game also took like forty-five minutes and by the time we were done half the rec center was full and waiting on the court. I wanted to puke I was so exhausted.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Since this thread got bumped, I would just like to add that i've lost 45 lbs on account of basketball. I am now 180 pounds down from 225 in about a year and 4 months. I feel absolutely amazing and can only thank hoops and this thread for spurning me back into it.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

thompson posted:

Since this thread got bumped, I would just like to add that i've lost 45 lbs on account of basketball. I am now 180 pounds down from 225 in about a year and 4 months. I feel absolutely amazing and can only thank hoops and this thread for spurning me back into it.

Yeah that's the great thing about hoops, it's so much fun that it doesn't feel like you're working out. I can't stand 10 minutes on an elliptical or treadmill but can play basketball for hours.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
this thread's title is incredibly accurate wrt my experience playing hometown basketball. one person used to always to get away with taking like four steps in the paint and he complained about how it was "totally legal dude" to the point where people just stopped arguing and started stuffing him every chance they got.

I actually played in a league at the YMCA for a couple years and it was pretty fun. I'd do it again, but now I'd be bumped up an age group and playing with people way out of my league, dudes that look like they could've played in the NBA in the 80s. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm going to play a little more pick up before I go into something like that. Playing over this past summer has improved my ball handling and shooting a ton, so I'm gonna do that as soon as it starts getting a little warmer out in the spring.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
You guys have any good tips on how to improve handling? I can dribble both hands, do cross overs, but I lose the ball way more than I'd like when I'm pressured.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

danucleus posted:

You guys have any good tips on how to improve handling? I can dribble both hands, do cross overs, but I lose the ball way more than I'd like when I'm pressured.

If you think you want to be a handles god you should probably work on your agility and hesitation. The ability to change directions while maintaining your velocity is how you're going to get around people in the gym. Like if you can cross over, try crossing over while changing your momentum to the opposite direction. That's how you start shaking people. All the guys I can't cover in the gym are the jitterbugs who can get behind me faster than I can swipe or move laterally. They're the ones who have all the head fakes and shoulder hesitations that make you guess they're going one spot but they go the other. Also don't be afraid to put your head down if your handles aren't there yet. It's better that you see where people are swiping or standing then to try to keep your head up and find people when you don't have the moves yet. Like the first may lead you into a lovely situation but the latter will pretty much guarantee you to get pick pocketed.

But the issues probably your playstyle. Learn to give up the ball when you're pressured. The more willing you are to pass or shoot before your man closes in on you the more he'll play off you over time.

I try to be the handle guy because I suck at shooting but I can run for days. I started out trying to pull fancy moves but everyone knew I couldn't shoot and I wasn't good enough to handle the ball securely. So I started putting my head down until I got the hang of the first or second dribble off my man. I figured out that a basketball court isn't that big and most people, regardless of height, can get into the paint in three strides. If you understand that the game becomes less intimidating and you can find spots to be a threat in easier. Once I could dribble without looking down I started keeping my head up and finding guys on the corners or in the paint. I don't have the most insane handles but I can find spots where I can pass into the paint, find a cutter, hit an easy layup, or kick out to the arc. That cut my turnovers from every time I dribbled to only a couple a times a game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't imagine being so mad about fantasy football that I'd buy a big red title for someone about it

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Great advice. I'll be working on this on the gym.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm by no means a spectacular ball handler or fastest runner, but I think in addition to what Doltos already said, if you have a buddy who's willing to practice with you, it'd be worthwhile to run some dribbling drills and push each other to get better.

Also, I've played against a ton of young people who try to own you on every possession with some crazy crossovers when all they really accomplish is a lot of wasted movements and overdribbling. Even very talented dribblers aren't especially tough to defend in straight one on one situations if you know what you're doing as a defender. The ones who "get" me the most tend to do it in combination with a solid pick or a really good shot fake.

Basically what I'm saying is that while it's useful to improve your handles, knowing when to pick your spots is far more valuable. Be careful not to fall in love with your own dribble. Not that you're actually guilty of all of this.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The guy I play with who's probably the best at taking it to the basket combines being a good enough outside shooter to headfake you off balance, a quick first step, good body control, and the tendency to call foul if you so much as breath on him

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd say a good shot is the best compliment to good handles(or any other basketball skill really). You could be the best ball handler ever, but if you can't shoot I will just play 2 or 3 feet off you to compensate. It's when you HAVE to stay in someone's face because if you don't they will drill a jumper that allows those guys to get to the rim at will.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

I can't imagine being so mad about fantasy football that I'd buy a big red title for someone about it

That's describes like at least 1 in 10 people who play fantasy sports

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

I'd say a good shot is the best compliment to good handles(or any other basketball skill really). You could be the best ball handler ever, but if you can't shoot I will just play 2 or 3 feet off you to compensate. It's when you HAVE to stay in someone's face because if you don't they will drill a jumper that allows those guys to get to the rim at will.

I got this one guy who's two inches taller than me and has insane handles with a great three point shot. I'm by no means a super athlete but I was able to stick on him through a bunch of dribble drives, head fakes, spins, and an eventual pull up at the top of the arc where I fouled him jumping into his zone. Like even though he got the possession back just being able to stick in front of him prevented the drive but gave up a missed three point shot.

There's also little stuff that knocks a bunch of great handle guys off balance. Forcing them to the outside/baseline, making them dribble with their offhand, crowding them near their favorite spots to shoot. The players who I know are really good are the ones who give up the ball when I do this or head fake the poo poo out of me expecting me to do one of those tactics, or are just incredibly athletic/tall/great shooter and destroy me anyway.

Intruder posted:

The guy I play with who's probably the best at taking it to the basket combines being a good enough outside shooter to headfake you off balance, a quick first step, good body control, and the tendency to call foul if you so much as breath on him

The best guy I play with has insane passes and a great quick first step layup. He looks great because the gym at my university are full of guys who all know how to cut and a bunch of them can dunk.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As a 5'6, 31 year old, slow Asian guy with bad knees, I can say that iso-break down dribbles are generally very ineffective offensive plays because I rarely ever get blown by, especially without a good (uncalled) pick. It's not that hard to stay with someone if you pay attention to their hips/core moreso than their head or ball. I think I focus a lot more on my defense than a lot of younger people though, especially as I transition into a more old man game.

Aside from serious height disparity matchups where I get owned inside, the most effective offense I generally face is from relentless cutting or guys who are just really good at catch and shoots from range. Still, I pride myself on never really being an easy matchup for most people. I've respectably guarded players up to 6'3, though admittedly I'm probably just being really physical in those games. However, as Doltos says, sometimes you face some really good players, and you get destroyed regardless.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yes or no to these bad boys for indoor league play

http://www.kicksonfire.com/bold-colors-for-the-nike-kobe-10-elite-what-the/

I'm afraid these shoes are too dope for my game tho

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Obviously make sure you try them on first. I tried out a pair of sneakers with the super high ankle support like that earlier in the year and they were probably the most uncomfortable piece of footwear I have ever worn. If you're worried about ankle support you're probably better wearing low/medium tops with ankle braces.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Gorman Thomas posted:

I have lowtop Kobe Xs and they're probably my favorite basketball shoe I've ever worn. I haven't tried out the high tops, but the super high top seems weird to me.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

danucleus posted:

Watch some Andre Miller. He's a master at using his body to shield the ball from a defender. He's not fast or quick, and doesn't have a great outside shot, but he's crafty as hell and good luck trying to take the ball from him.

If you're dribbling and someone comes up with pressure, you can protect the ball while keeping your dribble live while surveying your options by turning your body so your feet are basically perpendicular to the defender's feet. Being able to make a move one way and quickly reverse pivot is a good way for those without elite moves/quickness to shake a defender and create openings for driving or passing as the other defenders rotate to help.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Just remember that the "high"part is pretty much cloth and offers no stability.

Look sweet though, get 'em!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

danucleus posted:

Like socketwrench said, being perpendicular to your opponent's feet helps immensely. I tend to keep the elbow of the arm closest to him away from my body to prevent him from pushing closer and swiping the ball away. Ideally, out of that position you should be making a double or triple move out of coverage and dishing the ball out, or if you juke your guy sufficiently even put a shot up. Are you typically a point guard player? If not, then the best dribbles are short and sweet and work to complete a play rather than being the play in itself.

In general, practice dribbling without looking at your hands and doing a combo stutter step/dribble type drill so that you're dribbling while also attempting to move away from an (imaginary) opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
Kobe 10s are great, but the elite highs are ugly (opinion) and just feel really weird. It's like wearing really really thick socks- not that comfortable and not protective/supportive.

If you like Kobes you should definitely check the Venomenon 5, you can get them for around 60-80 now and it's a hell of a shoe. Better traction than the 10s (especially if your gym isn't perfectly swept) and the zoom is decent for not being full length. It's mesh so your feet get to breathe. The only thing I don't like is they have a weird spikey thing on the heel sort of like the Kyrie 1s that is hard and ugly. My school has a sponsorship so I have a ton of shoes and the Venoms are what I wear for everyday gym use and work shoe. I freakin love them. I've never seen another person wearing them so I guess they don't sell because of their release price point @$120 which is too expensive for a mid-tier shoe I suppose? Same problem as the Kyrie 1s and the Hardenchases I guess. If you don't slap a $200 price tag on a signature shoe, people assume it's cheap/lovely. Which it sometimes is, like the Kyries.

tl;dr Try the venoms before you drop $250 on those X highs.

Anyone have something new from the school of how to beat a giant 2-3 team with a 4 guard set that isn't "baseline pick"?

• Locked thread