Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

Where do you turn on easy research, and what does easy research change?

What do the upgraded scribing tools do anyway?

If you're trying to change the game to make research less painful, consider just visiting the cheat area on the top floor of the jaded. It's vaguely visible from the hallway but requires you to break blocks to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Thyrork posted:

<snip>
The Bloody Path - You become the chosen of a god, and upon perfecting and repeating a similar path it took to ascension, the two of you purify the world by covering it in Eerie. This is a legitimate win and you have saved the day, but the colonists are left wondering where their hero vanished, and why their new world is so dark. As for you and your newfound companion, the stars await...

This one would be really cool.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I don't really get how the crucible works, I finally got a cheap looking recipe, thaumite, which requires 4 magic aspect and then an iron ingot. I put a fire beneath the crucible, I threw four silverwood logs in (only cheap thing i know of that has a magic aspect on it) and then threw an iron bar in. It ate all the items and.. nothing happened except colored bubbles. What'd I do wrong? I tried it twice, and nada. That's a lot of wasted silverwood :(

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 3, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

So I don't really get how the crucible works, I finally got a cheap looking recipe, thaumite, which requires 4 magic aspect and then an iron ingot. I put a fire beneath the crucible, I threw four silverwood logs in (only cheap thing i know of that has a magic aspect on it) and then threw an iron bar in. It ate all the items and.. nothing happened except colored bubbles. What'd I do wrong?

Crucibles sometimes randomly boil away points of aspects when there's a lot of stuff in the cauldron. You didn't do anything wrong (though I'd use Greatwood logs over Silverwood, because Greatwood is much easier to get). Crucibles just kind of suck miserable rear end :shrug:

Your best long-term option is to research Essentia Distillation, run down that path, then make the Thaumatorium - it's an upgraded crucible where you directly feed it essentia from jars and it produces items without loss. Alchemy without an alchemical furnace and a Thaumatorium really, really isn't worth doing.

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 3, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I play on a laptop and do sometimes get chunk loading errors, but disconnecting & reconnecting fixes it for me so idk what's up. Are you playing on windows 10 because windows 10's drive autoupdate has updated a lot of people to intel driver versions that don't really work properly. If you can switch over minecraft to run on your discrete video.

Nope, I'm on Windows 7, though the laptop has dual ati video cards, a high-power discrete and a power-saving onboard. But since I'm on AC powered, it's using the discrete card.

Edit, unrelated: I just manually installed the newest version of Cooking for Blockheads, looks like it's supposed to be a full multiblock kitchen now, with a fridge to store food in, racks to put your pans on, and a sink for getting water for recipes. It looks pretty cool.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 3, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

So I don't really get how the crucible works, I finally got a cheap looking recipe, thaumite, which requires 4 magic aspect and then an iron ingot. I put a fire beneath the crucible, I threw four silverwood logs in (only cheap thing i know of that has a magic aspect on it) and then threw an iron bar in. It ate all the items and.. nothing happened except colored bubbles. What'd I do wrong? I tried it twice, and nada. That's a lot of wasted silverwood :(

You have to make sure it's bubbling before throwing anything into it. I'm guessing the first time it tried to eat all the items at once and ate them out of order, ruining it. The second time, I'm guessing you left the crucible alone for a while, and some of the essentia in it decayed.

You have to use the crucible quickly, and preferably without wasted essentia, because there's a limit on how much essentia the crucible can hold at once. Probably 64.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: nm

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

What are you doing for mana generation? I've been considering switching things up from my tree farm -> endoflame build but can't think of a better way to do it, and 20 endoflames can't even begin to keep up with how much mana it takes to charge a dreamwood staff.

(post pics, build pics are the best)

Earlier I was just doing munchdews and endoflames on a treefarm (cooking the logs to charcoal) until someone mentioned using formation planes. It's REALLY GOOD. Now I have 3 munchdews going 100% of the time without ever going on cooldown, and they produce so much mana that a single one will nearly max out a gaia spreader with a potency lens. Putting two on one spreader overflows and puts at least one flower on cooldown.

http://gfycat.com/DarlingColorfulFrilledlizard

God bless sound mufflers.

Basically I have one big tree farm shearing leaves, and another small one just working normally, to supply saplings to both. They both have agricarnations on them.

The wood from that farm is all cooked in an upgraded furnace, and shoved straight into a crafty crate to turn the charcoal into blocks.

That all goes downstairs into a farm of 36 endoflames, timed using the basic hopper/pressure plate setup someone posted a while back.

I also have a gourmaryllis setup, but it's mostly obsolete since I expanded my setup. I shove a bunch of 1 food type into this chest, set the timer to an appropriate length on the PRC, and walk away. (there's an itemduct behind the chest, of course)

And this is what my mana storage looks like:

I've only half made it look nice, so don't mind the ceiling. :v:

I also just finished setting up botania rune autocrafting. It's simpler than you might think. Put an open crate above your runic altar, then set up itemducts on it like so:

This may seem redundant, but it's important. The first duct pulls all the basic ingredients but blacklists the livingstone which you finish runes off with, while the longer duct pulls *only* the livingstone, so that it arrives when the altar has gotten enough mana, to prevent it being picked up by the hopperhock or something else before the altar is charged.

Also, you need an autonomous activator adjacent to the altar, with a wand of the forest in it. I'm powering it with a p2p tunnel here. Then a hopperhock with an adjacent chest to grab the final result, and finally an import bus on the chest to stick it back in the system. The interface on the underside of the supply chest holds the rune recipes.

You can also filter the hopperhock to prevent it picking up the living wood instead of my two duct solution, a matter of taste.

Magres posted:

Good call! And with a Gaia Spreader I can finally move my drat generation setup to someplace more convenient, my base has become increasingly awful in its layout because in the beginning everything was just jammed in wherever I could find blight-free places to put stuff, and I've just added things willy nilly instead of having any kind of thought-out layout.

Use sparks and/or upgraded mana rings. Sparks will transfer one full pool into another in a few seconds. Mana rings are slower but you can hold multiple pools worth of mana and take it wherever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

^^^^ a dispenser with a dedicated wand of the forest will also work to activate the altar, that might save you some power

A warning to those mining: efficiency 5 on a pick makes it able to speedily mine things that are above its mining level. However, this destroys the ore block instead of dropping it :v:

I burned through two sanguinite ore before I figured that out. :argh:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

taiyoko posted:

Nope, I'm on Windows 7, though the laptop has dual ati video cards, a high-power discrete and a power-saving onboard. But since I'm on AC powered, it's using the discrete card.

Edit, unrelated: I just manually installed the newest version of Cooking for Blockheads, looks like it's supposed to be a full multiblock kitchen now, with a fridge to store food in, racks to put your pans on, and a sink for getting water for recipes. It looks pretty cool.

That's pretty sweet, but while the most important bugfixes I made were PR'd back into C4BH, I wasn't really happy with the fix that made it work properly with minetweaker so I never turned in my homework on that one.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How are you guys teching up so fast? Am I doing it wrong focussing on mining in different places? I've finally gotten my 1 enderium pick and 1 pearl, and I just can't imagine how you guys manage to have such a large amount of awesome poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

^^^^ a dispenser with a dedicated wand of the forest will also work to activate the altar, that might save you some power

Nice, didn't realize dispensers could do that.

Turtlicious posted:

How are you guys teching up so fast? Am I doing it wrong focussing on mining in different places? I've finally gotten my 1 enderium pick and 1 pearl, and I just can't imagine how you guys manage to have such a large amount of awesome poo poo.

I've been playing for weeks with 3 other people. :v: Although I'm just starting on Thaumcraft now - they were doing it but got burned out. Luckily that means I get to skip the most heinous aspects of it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

God you are a loving wizard.

gently caress I hate you now I really have to do AE2. I've procrastinated on finally learning AE2 for so long because it just looks like there's so much tedious bullshit to deal with before you get to the good stuff. At least with Thaumcraft I didn't know it was filled with tedious bullshit before I had already learned how to skip most of it :v:

Also I take back what I said earlier, you'll love the Elementium Capped Dreamwood Staff (do the staff, it adds a level of potency) because you have the mana to support it. If you make a couple of them you'll have the recharge rates to support pretty heavy use, too

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 3, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So is there method to make your breath last longer or something, because I stopped over biodome omega and I pretty much am drowning the instant i hit the seafloor to try and dig my way under the glass. I wanted to snag the teleport point without flooding the dome.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

So is there method to make your breath last longer or something, because I stopped over biodome omega and I pretty much am drowning the instant i hit the seafloor to try and dig my way under the glass. I wanted to snag the teleport point without flooding the dome.

Ring of Chordata, Respiration Enchants, and I think one of the potions gives water breathing too. The Ring of Chordata is really easy to make though, and really really good.

Also if you place torches it creates a short-lived bubble of air you can catch your breath in, which is what I did before I had magic stuff to help

E: Anyone know what a gray colored port on Thermal Expansion machines does?

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 3, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Wolpertinger posted:

Just dig through the glass, you can put down some slabs so that the water isn't getting any further into the dome.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Place 2 glass panes stacked on top of each other on the ocean floor to make places where you can refresh your air.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

God you are a loving wizard.

gently caress I hate you now I really have to do AE2. I've procrastinated on finally learning AE2 for so long because it just looks like there's so much tedious bullshit to deal with before you get to the good stuff. At least with Thaumcraft I didn't know it was filled with tedious bullshit before I had already learned how to skip most of it :v:

Also I take back what I said earlier, you'll love the Elementium Capped Dreamwood Staff (do the staff, it adds a level of potency) because you have the mana to support it. If you make a couple of them you'll have the recharge rates to support pretty heavy use, too

AE2 is far less tedious than it first seems with it's stupid first-level crafting bullshit. Use the recipes I posted in the main thread a while back.

Taffer posted:

Here's some hassle-free AE recipes. As usual there is a slight convenience tax and of course you can still make them the old way if you're material starved. Save these into a file ending in .zs (e.g. ae.zs) and put it your scripts folder. Either restart MC or use /mt reload. Enjoy.

code:
//aliases
val iron = <minecraft:iron_ingot>;
val gold = <minecraft:gold_ingot>;
val redstone = <minecraft:redstone>;
val nether_quartz = <minecraft:quartz>;
val diamond = <minecraft:diamond>;
val silicon = <ore:itemSilicon>;

val certus_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:0>;
val charged_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:1>;
val fluix_crystal = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:7>;

val proc_gold = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:22>;
val proc_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:23>;
val proc_diamond = <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:24>;

////////////////////////////
//  Alternate AE Recipes  //
////////////////////////////

//circuit recipes
recipes.addShaped(proc_gold,
   [[redstone, silicon, null],
	[  iron,    gold, 	null],
	[redstone, silicon, null]]);

recipes.addShaped(proc_diamond,
   [[redstone, silicon, null],
	[  iron,   diamond, null 	],

recipes.addShaped(proc_quartz,
   [[redstone, silicon, 	null],
	[ iron, charged_quartz, null],

//fluix crystal
recipes.addShapeless(fluix_crystal * 2, [charged_quartz, nether_quartz, redstone]);
e: fixed

You will have to wrap your head around channels, but it's not near as complex as you probably guessed based on how hard you're avoiding it, just remember you can run cables side-by-side without them connecting by using cable anchors, and make judicious use of sub-networks. A network with less than 8 channels needs no controller, and a quartz fiber connection gives a cable power without passing channels. So you can run cable from your main network, connect quartz fiber, and do some other small task in that sub-network, all with 0 channels from your main network. For example, that formation plane setup I showed in that previous post is a subnetwork miles away from my main one with no channel interaction. I have an interface that the itemducts dump leaves into, 5 formation planes, a drive to hold cells for leaves, and a terminal because I like to see how many I have. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Magres posted:

E: Anyone know what a gray colored port on Thermal Expansion machines does?

From some wiki:

quote:

No color: - Slots configured to have no color will act as a regular inventory, allowing items to be extracted or inserted without restriction. Slots that would normally be outputs will not automatically eject items if it is un-colored.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

The recharge rate is a little disappointing, I have the mana to use it quite a bit but the wait times make it a little frustrating. But yeah I'll probably make two (or three :v: ) to use it like wild. It's definitely pretty expensive though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

At least before getting into the crazies, it does give you a one-stop storage solution where you can search and craft from your complete collection of stuff in one place. When transitioning to autocrafting, the first thing everybody automates is making all the AE2 stuff itself. Like, the first pattern people create is the pattern for making blank patterns. Then they get into autocrafting the drives and autocrafting autocrafting components. After this, you're just bolting AE2 stuff on everything and running the show from a little control room somewhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

right now i am pretty happy with my controller-less ad-hoc network, though I did dedicate 4 channels of the 7 i'm using to importing/exporting herba essentia for my farms :v:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is there no way to get additional primordial pearls since there's only one obelisk?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

Is there no way to get additional primordial pearls since there's only one obelisk?

There's a bunch of obelisks I thought? There's one on obelisk island, and I swore I saw a few others.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

taiyoko posted:

Thanks updating seems to have fixed a lot of the weird jankiness also

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

There's a bunch of obelisks I thought? There's one on obelisk island, and I swore I saw a few others.

One on the iceberg, dark tower island and island lab I believe

is Obelisk Island really named that just for the one obelisk on it? Seems like an opportunity for a massive sky-high obsidian spire. Activate it properly and the whole island becomes an eerie biome. Free from taint, but in a rather offputting way.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I just put in the updated version of cooking for blockheads.
it is SO MUCH MORE NOW!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Thaumacraft is already pretty decently complex, all the machines you can build with AE/botania just look terrifying, going to have to learn them from scratch in Blightfall too.

Also, I think I accidentally burnt out one of the aspects on my main biodome node (I swear wands speed up and slow down the drain rate at random), is there any way I can get it back? I've got almost no order nodes for some reason, and of course every item i make needs them. I only really know of a couple nodes and i can barely touch them for a second before one aspect starts running out.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 3, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

Thaumacraft is already pretty decently complex, all the machines you can build with AE/botania just look terrifying, going to have to learn them from scratch in Blightfall too.

Also, I think I accidentally burnt out one of the aspects on my main biodome node (I swear wands speed up and slow down the drain rate at random), is there any way I can get it back? I've got almost no order nodes for some reason, and of course every item i make needs them. I only really know of a couple nodes and i can barely touch them for a second before one aspect starts running out.

Don't drain nodes past 1. A node with 0 in an aspect has a chance to lose that aspect or otherwise become damaged (turn pale or fading or change types into a less desirable type). Wands do drain nodes randomly-ish. They swap between aspects as they drain nodes.
My advice is to make a greatwood scepter, then go jar a good compound node to energize. Then you won't have to worry about vis so much.

Taffer posted:

The recharge rate is a little disappointing, I have the mana to use it quite a bit but the wait times make it a little frustrating. But yeah I'll probably make two (or three :v: ) to use it like wild. It's definitely pretty expensive though.

This is more of a general reply, but uh, if you want infinite vis on the go isn't the blood magic staff what you're looking for? Make a Well of Suffering with cursed earth or witches in it+ slap your orb in the altar and chunkload it= infinite LP to fuel whatever you drat well please.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Don't drain nodes past 1. A node with 0 in an aspect has a chance to lose that aspect or otherwise become damaged (turn pale or fading or change types into a less desirable type). Wands do drain nodes randomly-ish. They swap between aspects as they drain nodes.
My advice is to make a greatwood scepter, then go jar a good compound node to energize. Then you won't have to worry about vis so much.

Yeah I was collecting vis to make the goggles of revealing, so I was swapping back and forth between the thaumometer and the wand and oops 0 order and then it vanished.

How do compound aspects work on nodes anyway? I've noticed that it seems like compound aspects don't drain at all since the wand can't store em.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious, are there any further content updates planned for blightfall? like, beyond just things such as bugfixes?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
A while back someone was saying that slimes are hard to get, pink slime balls work the same way as green ones, so if you have a farm use the slaughterhouse to get meat ingots and pink slimes...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah I was collecting vis to make the goggles of revealing, so I was swapping back and forth between the thaumometer and the wand and oops 0 order and then it vanished.

How do compound aspects work on nodes anyway? I've noticed that it seems like compound aspects don't drain at all since the wand can't store em.

Compound aspect vis can only be used in two ways: 1: put down a recharge station with a compound recharge focus on it, and recharge staves/wands with it. 2: jar the node, then turn it into an energized node back at base, which will break down the compound aspect into primal CV.

TheresaJayne posted:

A while back someone was saying that slimes are hard to get, pink slime balls work the same way as green ones, so if you have a farm use the slaughterhouse to get meat ingots and pink slimes...

I just wound up killing all the blue slimes that spawn during half-moon nights.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Minor question - does the xp rate on the 'main' tool part determine how fast that tool gains xp, or is it an average of all the parts?

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

That was me, and the actual problem I was having is that the thaumcaft jar label recipe doesn't use the oredict slime - it specifically requires green slime.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Place 2 glass panes stacked on top of each other on the ocean floor to make places where you can refresh your air.

I just use a wooden door.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Seatox posted:

That was me, and the actual problem I was having is that the thaumcaft jar label recipe doesn't use the oredict slime - it specifically requires green slime.

A unifier can turn pink and blue slime to green, also tar and those red blood balls. You may have to get a green slime once to filter it first, I'm not sure.

spoiler? the floating city has a bucket filled with a green slime in it, i think it was in the crates near the airship

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

This is more of a general reply, but uh, if you want infinite vis on the go isn't the blood magic staff what you're looking for? Make a Well of Suffering with cursed earth or witches in it+ slap your orb in the altar and chunkload it= infinite LP to fuel whatever you drat well please.

It recharges just as slowly as the mana staves. Except it only holds 50 instead of 250.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

It recharges just as slowly as the mana staves. Except it only holds 50 instead of 250.

Really? That's exceptionally disappointing, the flavor text made me feel like it would recharge muuuch faster.

In my own news, thank you for finally giving me what amounts to the kick in the pants I needed to finally get going on AE2. This isn't actually that bad - it benefits dramatically from an economy of scale - I have 5 inscribers (one for each press, one for end product assembly) and it helps a ton in terms of the "this is all tedious bullshit" factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah the channels crap isn't really that bad i found

also (at least on a map with less scarcity than blightfall) it's pretty trivial to automate the inscribers

when I get some time I will build my crystal growth chamber idea and post about it, I found a way to do it with six accelerators surrounding the same water source block

• Locked thread