Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I have a 10 gallon CPD tank, and I just noticed fry in there tonight. It's been a few years since I had any fry, so I don't have anything on hand to feed them. What are the odds they will do ok on finely ground spirulina until I can grab some first bite or make some insuforia?

I transferred about half of them into a breeder box, the other half eluded me for long enough that I decided 'screw it, we'll see if a few free swimmers do better than the ones in the breeder box'. I expect they will get eaten, but at the same time, they will probably have better access to micro food sources in the tank than the boxed ones, so maybe it sort of balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Well my little turtle passed away peacefully in his sleep a little while ago. It's just really hard to believe that he could go from looking around and moving to being dead so quickly and quietly. Rest in peace little baby turtle.

republicant fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 4, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
RIP little guy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

That sucks, sorry to hear. I think maybe part of it is animals are so good at hiding injury/illness for survival reasons.

E: At least you made a big part of his/her life better and that counts for a lot.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
It does make me feel better to know that he spent his last days and final moments of life basking under a warm lamp instead of dying unnoticed in some cold dark dirty tank at the pet store. When he died he was on my bed next to me, in a basket filled with clean warm towels. I know that turtles have no understanding of the concept of "love" but he was very loved.

I'm going to pour all my energy into preparing for the 50 cherry shrimp that'll be arriving tomorrow, if I stay busy then I won't have time to be sad.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

republicant posted:

Well my little turtle passed away peacefully in his sleep a little while ago. It's just really hard to believe that he could go from looking around and moving to being dead so quickly and quietly. Rest in peace little baby turtle.

republicant posted:

It does make me feel better to know that he spent his last days and final moments of life basking under a warm lamp instead of dying unnoticed in some cold dark dirty tank at the pet store. When he died he was on my bed next to me, in a basket filled with clean warm towels. I know that turtles have no understanding of the concept of "love" but he was very loved.

I'm going to pour all my energy into preparing for the 50 cherry shrimp that'll be arriving tomorrow, if I stay busy then I won't have time to be sad.

Your SO is a monster.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Neither of us had any idea that it was going to happen, I didn't know if the turtle was going to make it but I never thought that it was going to die so soon. If anything the monster here is the pet store employee(s) who can't be bothered to take care of their baby turtles. I have asked him to stop bringing home any more animals though because I don't want to have to watch anything else die. Fish dying is usually to be expected, especially the more fragile and naturally short-lived ones, but turtles are supposed to live 20+ years, it's just wrong for a baby to die. Although I have heard that hatchlings have a pretty high mortality rate and turtles lay a ton of eggs to make sure that at least a few will survive. I've had to watch two be sick and die but the one I still have we've raised from a tiny 1.5" baby to the healthy lively little juvenile he is today, so I'll just be thankful that he somehow made it when the others haven't. Mother Nature is a cruel bitch.

republicant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 4, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah- you're still the best hope those animals could have. Thanks for caring so much.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Argh, what a bummer the past few pages have been! :( Thank you for sharing though, the process of rehabilitating very sick animals regrettably is not always successful.

Now, for something a bit different....

"WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!?!?!"

I won't let the suspense build, so....

There's water, bags, styrofoam, newspaper, rubberbands in this box...

And fish!

One of the interesting things about shipping large fish is that you really should not drip acclimate them. They excrete a lot of ammonia (and uric acid) during overnight shipping. The pH drops from the uric acid and the CO2 they exhale, which makes the ammonia (relatively) non-toxic. As soon as the bag is opened up, the CO2 is flushed, and this raises the pH back to levels where the ammonia can begin burning fish. This process is accelerated by dripping, as well, since the pH would be raised by the water you're adding in. So, drip acclimation for bigger fish is a bad idea.

These kiddos are rarely imported -- Brazil has pretty good conservation laws for the rivers that they don't dam up, which means the importer I got them from is properly licensed. They also immediately deworm and QT the fish for at least a week prior to offering them for sale. My husband knows how much they cost (I will not speak of it to my coworkers or family), and the saving grace for me is that 1.) I'm the breadwinner, and 2.) I have been wanting these for years. These are wild juvenile Cichla kelberi from the Rio Araguaia. They will be beautiful once they get a bit older!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I just picked up a 20 gal glass, rectangle fish tank and the stand I have laying around was designed for a bow front style tank. Now the 20 gal tanks hangs over the right and left hand sides by about a inch each, is this going to be a safety issue or should I be good to go?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Rythe posted:

I just picked up a 20 gal glass, rectangle fish tank and the stand I have laying around was designed for a bow front style tank. Now the 20 gal tanks hangs over the right and left hand sides by about a inch each, is this going to be a safety issue or should I be good to go?

As long as the stand is sturdy enough to hold the weight + water and the weight is centered on the stand I wouldn't worry too much. More experienced people feel free to correct me.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Glass tanks should have full support along the perimeter and especially the corners. If the tank hangs over on the ends, you are only supporting the front and back glass panels which will cause stress at the corner joints. This is regardless of whether the tank has plastic trim or not since that stuff is mostly decorative to hide the silicone.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Wandering Orange posted:

Glass tanks should have full support along the perimeter and especially the corners. If the tank hangs over on the ends, you are only supporting the front and back glass panels which will cause stress at the corner joints. This is regardless of whether the tank has plastic trim or not since that stuff is mostly decorative to hide the silicone.

I figured as much and went out and got a stand to fully support the new tank. On the plus side the movers broke my old 16 gal tank and they reimbursed me enough to get a new stand plus 20 gal tank, decorations and plants. Not a bad deal at all there.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Amazing! Love your posts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

May be time to put my old betta down. He cant see the food anymore even when I'm putting it right in front of his face for the last few days. He can smell it but he cant eat it being blind. :smith:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That is sad. :(

I'm considering moving my betta out of the big tank into a small one because all the guppie fry/younglings eat the food literally out of his mouth, and he's too nice to murder them like he was supposed to.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

I envy you people with so much space, I guess that is a 100+ gal tank ? I would have trouble fitting a 40gal in my current apartment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

McGiggins posted:

That is sad. :(

He had about the average home betta lifespan at least. Got him two and a half years ago now. gently caress metallic pigments though.

Once he goes I'll just be left with the rear end in a top hat chain loaches that ate the cories. Their tank is looking like a loving mess because while they are eating the pest snails, they're also devouring any helpful cleanup crew critters as well. Ugh. I dont know if I've the patience... might try sell/donate em off, then redo the tank, hopefully pest free this time and just go with shrimp/verts.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Psst, hey buddy

quote:

gently caress you

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS

Tahirovic posted:

I envy you people with so much space, I guess that is a 100+ gal tank ? I would have trouble fitting a 40gal in my current apartment.

This is their growout tank. It's a bit cramped at 55 gallons, but once they start eating regularly and get closer to 8 inches, it's off to the 300 gallon (which I have on a concrete slab foundation). Pbass aren't that difficult if you have the space and and the filtration and the water change schedule for them. Once you can get them past that baby stage of 1-3 inches, they are rock solid against parasites and disease, smart as the dickens, and a lot of fun.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Fusillade posted:

This is their growout tank. It's a bit cramped at 55 gallons, but once they start eating regularly and get closer to 8 inches, it's off to the 300 gallon (which I have on a concrete slab foundation). Pbass aren't that difficult if you have the space and and the filtration and the water change schedule for them. Once you can get them past that baby stage of 1-3 inches, they are rock solid against parasites and disease, smart as the dickens, and a lot of fun.

Mind posting pics of your 300 gallon setup?

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
No problem. I name each of my fish and tend to understock the tank though, so it's not as impressive as most 300 gallon setups I've seen before. I credit the understocking to my creatures' size, longevity, and in the case of the jags, lack of other fish murder when they're spawning. There's all of 8 fish in this picture. 2 peacock bass (one hybrid, one orinocensis), 2 severums (one gold, one green), 2 jags, 1 ginormous raphael cat, and 1 saddleback bichir. The male jag (closer to the center) is about a foot long.

As far as filtration goes, I don't have anything particularly fancy. Two Fluval FX5s running in parallel (one for each corner overflow). Two titanium rod heaters attached to an external thermostat, one 1000 watt, one 300 watt. 1 of the FX5s, the 300 watt heater, and a pump with airstone are attached to a UPS that will last the tank for about an hour and a half, which is enough time for me to get the house switched over to gas generator power if it should go out (this has happened for longer than two days, twice in the past five years during ice storms). Once the tank gets replaced (it is used, and won't last forever), I will likely switch to black sand substrate, and find some way to plumb either a wet/dry sump, or a sand bed pool filter to improve the biofiltration.

Fusillade fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 7, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Always love your tank updates Fusillade! I'm still preparing myself for the jump up to an either 180 or 240 soon.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Fusillade posted:

Awesome tank

That looks great! I live in a tiny house at the moment so all I can do is stare in awe at you guys with lots of space for big tanks. Thanks for sharing!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I want driftwood in a tank am I better off just buying some? It sounds like a super time consuming process to make my own.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You dont really make driftwood.. Find it, yes. Boil it, yes. But usually the stuff already waterlogged in a store can be fine.

I want some garra! And some electric blue acara and I have no drat tank space left.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

You dont really make driftwood.. Find it, yes. Boil it, yes. But usually the stuff already waterlogged in a store can be fine.

I want some garra! And some electric blue acara and I have no drat tank space left.

Cool. My job situation has turned around and I'm finally able to start thinking about my shrimp tank. Any good tips for those? I'm thinking drift wood, sand, plants and one of those sponge filters but other than that I'm not sure what to do.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Len posted:

Cool. My job situation has turned around and I'm finally able to start thinking about my shrimp tank. Any good tips for those? I'm thinking drift wood, sand, plants and one of those sponge filters but other than that I'm not sure what to do.

What kind of shrimp are you wanting to get? Dwarf? Filter feeders?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rallos posted:

What kind of shrimp are you wanting to get? Dwarf? Filter feeders?

Im thinking cherry red because they look pretty. But I dont know the differences between types. Is there a better one to pick?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

I love my electric blue acara, Ted. She is my dog.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Len posted:

Im thinking cherry red because they look pretty. But I dont know the differences between types. Is there a better one to pick?

Cherries are good starter shrimp. Just make sure that if you get different colors that they are different species or they will interbreed and the offspring will be really ugly. Like you can keep cherries and bee shrimp. Or cherries and bamboo shrimp (filter feeders). I'm considering adding a vampire shrimp to my nano cherry tank at work. They are filter feeders and get quite a bit bigger than cherries. I've had my cherries for about 4 months now and they have bred twice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started with 6 and ended up with nearly a 100 at their peak. Then inbreeding and loaches got them all :v:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Finally getting around to re starting my tank after losing my figure 8s. A thirty gallon should be fine for a black moor and an apple snail right?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Driftwood chat.. I had this in my 55 as a centerpiece. I had to remove it because once planted and grown in there was too much going on. It was hidden by the plants which does no justice to the piece. Those are 24" monitors for reference.

Anyone in central Florida with a 55 or larger looking for a really sexy piece of driftwood PM me. Looking to get $75 for it, paid a little over $100 before shipping which cost me a lot to ship it out to me so I am not even entertaining that option.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Going to be moving across town, what's the best way to move our betta? Would he be ok just riding in his 5 gal tank (properly secured) with the rocks and half or so of the water removed or should we be moving him into a smaller container for the car ride?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Drain the tank and move him into a smaller container. Leave just enough water to keep the substrate wet, and move your filter media in tank water as well.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So my assassin snails appear to be quite prolific breeders. I counted at least 11 juveniles in the tank just now not counting any that are hiding or the three original adults. If any of you goons live in/near Chicago and can come downtown between 8 and 4 you can have a few for your tank if you want em. I'm happy to keep them but I had a hard time finding them when I needed em so if you want some shoot me a PM.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Two questions

I am upgrading to an aquaclear 70 from a tetra ex30 for my 30 gallon. The tetra has this plastic board with brushes and such that supposedly serves as a biofilter. I have a weird setup that prevents me from running both filters at the same time. Would putting the tetra board into the aquaclear along with some sort of decent media work out? If so, how long should I leave it in there?

Next question is, I have 7 neon tetras, a mystery snail, and a single female guppy (accidentally got in my tetra bag as a fry). I wanted to add a couple more guppies and some gouramis but apparently gouramis like still water which this tank won't have. I was stuck on the gouramis for a while since they are a decent size, colorful, and compatible with all conditions beyond the current. What else should I look at?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Drain the tank and move him into a smaller container. Leave just enough water to keep the substrate wet, and move your filter media in tank water as well.

FYI there is mulm that builds up in the substrate and disturbing it will cause an ammonia spike so be sure to have Prime so you can nuke the tank with it and have something to monitor the ammonia levels with for a couple of days. I say this from past experiences myself and friends who have moved aquariums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Enos Cabell posted:

To clarify on this: drain the tank with enough water to keep the substrate wet (1 inch or so). Put your filter media in a baggie with juuuust enough water to keep the thing soggy.

I keep clean, fish-only 5 gallon buckets (with lid) around just in case I ever need to move fish in a hurry. For a lone betta you can probably get away with a large mason jar 3/4 full of the old tank water and take the lid off every now and then for fresh air. Make sure he doesn't try to jump out...