Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No its drain. Morons used silicon to fix a pipe....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

No its drain. Morons used silicon to fix a pipe....

Hahaha. We need pictures of that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh Roadkill how I missed you. :allears:

EDIT: Random but hoping someone can help me out. All the Android devices in my home are slow as balls on the WiFi. We have 3 different Android phones with 3 different OS versions and they all operate at a snails pace. The one iPhone works fine. The PS3 and my PC on WiFi run fine as well as a Kindle tablet, 3 Windows laptops and a Macbook. Super annoying.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 6, 2015

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

BBC News posted:

Police said that the car had been going too fast.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

What kind of car? If it's a common car and a common color, just getting a junkyard trunk lid might be cheaper than trying to have it refinished. If it's down to primer there's not much you can do but that.

2014 Toyota Corolla and what seems like the most common color. No idea how many junkyard lids are out there yet.

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, no real repair short of a respray, but the scratches would mostly come out. I'd probably use Dr. Colorchip and it'd be almost unnoticeable after a few applications build up.

Tell me more about this Dr. Colorchip. Is it easy to use? And how expensive is it? Her car has acquired quite a few scratches.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

Get quotes from the indie merchants as they are often cheaper than tp/jewson/buildbase.

Indie merchants also usually have better quality inventory. I called up all the big places looking for Baltic birch ply sheets and all they had was garbage tier 3 ply poo poo with veneer faces.

Found this one local place that had the real poo poo, 10 ply, no voids and only the odd jigsaw patch. It was soooooo much nicer to work with than the stuff from the bigger places, so straight and true. Heavy as gently caress too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was going to post the exact same thing, Race car was going too fast, go figure.

It sucks that those people got killed, but honestly it was a risk they were willing to take.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

the claims of "4G" on the box refer to HSPA+.

Honestly H+ should be plenty fast for anything you typically do on a phone. I was in a similar situation back in May, the hand me down Note 3 I was using decided to have its sim tray fail and I had to have a phone because I was unemployed and spamming my resume. Ended up with a LG L90 (basically their version of the Moto G), which has no LTE modem. IIRC average download speeds were above 8 megabit up & down, although tower support for H+ in your area/on your carrier may be worse.

e: just powered the phone on and checked my speedtest logs from June, looks like it averaged between 8-10 down and 2-4 up.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 6, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
IIRC there's no standard for 4g so hspa+ and Lte can both be considered 4g.

Theoretically, hpspa+ can be just as fast.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh Roadkill how I missed you. :allears:

EDIT: Random but hoping someone can help me out. All the Android devices in my home are slow as balls on the WiFi. We have 3 different Android phones with 3 different OS versions and they all operate at a snails pace. The one iPhone works fine. The PS3 and my PC on WiFi run fine as well as a Kindle tablet, 3 Windows laptops and a Macbook. Super annoying.

gently caress around with DNS server settings on the slow devices and see if you hit one that speeds it up. My ISP has been having issues all summer and swapping DNS to google (8.8.8.8) helped quite a bit.

Also, reset your network hardware hurf durf

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nodoze posted:

Just get an s2000

There's no question that the Spyder outhandles and outhustles the S2000. The grunt in that flat-6 is nice. Is it worth a 30k premium? Not objectively. Also, I've already had an AP1. Downgrading to a manual top with plastic rear window is what it's all about.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Downgrading to a manual top with plastic rear window is what it's all about.

So you're getting a NA Miata?

:v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

(Anybody wanna buy some fancy fishing reel oil? :v: )
At least you're not the guy who ordered a half-amillion-dollar heat treatment furnace that was technically too big for the space it was meant to go into.

If you got the stuff at bulk pricing, why not try hawking the box to a fishing shop, or putting it on ebay?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, they are actually completely different blocks, it was actually a rumor that they were based on gas motors.
The Land Rover 2-1/4 petrol and diesel engines are effectively the same bottom end (the petrols are damned tough as a result of it). They also had the idea of dieselising the Rover V8 (project Iceberg), which never made it into production, and I'm assuming went exactly as well as you'd expect.

leica posted:

It sucks that those people got killed, but honestly it was a risk they were willing to take.
Yeah, especially with rallying. At a circuit, you generally expect that the runoffs, walls and fences should make it unlikely that a car can hit spectators, but that's a world away from "If it looks a bit sketchy, I'll jump behind that tree real quick like, and try not to drop my scotch egg".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. So hungover. Got trashed on super cheap beer last night and definitely paying for it today.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Tell me more about this Dr. Colorchip. Is it easy to use? And how expensive is it? Her car has acquired quite a few scratches.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

There are also some chains that specialize in small paint repair, such as Micropaint.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What the gently caress: an opened, but closed in a cool/covered space, jug of oil just leaked all over my garage. Ughhhh

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

leica posted:

I love BGs too and have owned a bunch of them. Check out clubprotege.com, pretty good community with lots of good info and a wealth of parts if you need something that's hard to find.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Most of the places I've come across are eerily quiet now. You know what I'd love? Canadian seat belts. Especially since the drivers one gets stuck halfway on the track.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Most of the places I've come across are eerily quiet now. You know what I'd love? Canadian seat belts. Especially since the drivers one gets stuck halfway on the track.

poo poo, I wish you had told me last weekend. There was a nice BF 323 in the local yard that we walked by while pulling seatbelts for a different car.

After 50% off day it will probably be picked clean even though it's about to get snowed on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Honestly H+ should be plenty fast for anything you typically do on a phone. I was in a similar situation back in May, the hand me down Note 3 I was using decided to have its sim tray fail and I had to have a phone because I was unemployed and spamming my resume. Ended up with a LG L90 (basically their version of the Moto G), which has no LTE modem. IIRC average download speeds were above 8 megabit up & down, although tower support for H+ in your area/on your carrier may be worse.

e: just powered the phone on and checked my speedtest logs from June, looks like it averaged between 8-10 down and 2-4 up.

Can be. It's apparently either saturated in my area, or they stole some bandwidth from the HSPA+ radios for LTE. I'm only getting 1-2 up and down.

I've hit about 25mbit on HSPA+ before, but that was a couple of years ago.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Half-assed $20 bedliner job turned out decent:

Masking and painting the tops of the bed really finished off the look. Little bit of seepage under the tape but I'm happy enough with how it turned out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, especially with rallying. At a circuit, you generally expect that the runoffs, walls and fences should make it unlikely that a car can hit spectators, but that's a world away from "If it looks a bit sketchy, I'll jump behind that tree real quick like, and try not to drop my scotch egg".

I had to google what a scotch egg was, looks.......interesting.

mafoose posted:

Once you post enough one of the Canadian guys would probably find some at a yard and send them to you, or just keep an eye on ebay, they pop up from time to time. But yeah gently caress those automatic seat belts they are the worst. One of the reasons i want a BF and not a BG :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Sidenote: They aren't really anything to do with Scotland, despite the "what is the most unhealthy way we can prepare this healthy food?" nature of them making it seem that way.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
another great weekend at the cabin. the boys caught there first macrells and we picked 75l of blueberries. i am dead tired. but i guess thats part of parenting.

we really need a truck tho. we could drive a mile closer and shave off 50% off the walk with some more ground clearance. will be checking out some amaroks and hiluxes the next week, and also a forrester.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

leica posted:

I never contemplated that you guys in the US might not have scotch eggs. You poor people.

On my way to work tomorrow morning I will be stopping at the best motorway services in the UK (Gloucester services - run by the same people as Tebay but at a new site) where they sell these. I will probably eat scotch eggs for breakfast and lunch tomorrow and probably also on Tuesday. Decent ones are amazing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wow what a productive day...

Helped my mom pick up a new treadmill for their house. Returned all our empty cans a bottles and got a 12 pack from it. Then I took a nap. Then I woke up and... took another nap.

Edit: Holy poo poo, The Martian looks awesome.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fjelltorsk posted:

another great weekend at the cabin. the boys caught there first macrells and we picked 75l of blueberries. i am dead tired. but i guess thats part of parenting.

we really need a truck tho. we could drive a mile closer and shave off 50% off the walk with some more ground clearance. will be checking out some amaroks and hiluxes the next week, and also a forrester.

Please buy an Amarok.

I really want one. They look soooooo nice.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

fjelltorsk posted:

You know my vw bus is high enough off the ground I have never used a jack, even when changing the brake lines and pushrod tubes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fjelltorsk posted:

When's the Tesla SUV out?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

if the trail to the cabin is narrow get a hilux- The amarok is a BIG ute- they dwarf my landcruiser parked side by side!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Ferremit posted:

if the trail to the cabin is narrow get a hilux- The amarok is a BIG ute- they dwarf my landcruiser parked side by side!

Yeah but they're so nice. Hiluxes just feel cheap.:(

I'm thinking about running away and living in Spain. I don't speak Spanish. (but have spent a significant amount of my life there.)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Didnt know you cant let Audi/VW CV's pop out of joint while doing struts. Cost the shop some money and myself some dignity... :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

Didnt know you cant let Audi/VW CV's pop out of joint while doing struts. Cost the shop some money and myself some dignity... :(
Do all the balls fall out or something?

My friend and I have been in no way careful when working on his A3, and didn't have any issues.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Preoptopus posted:

Do you mean in the inner spider (sliding 3-roller) ones?

Yeah, they can drop a bearing and either vibrate or just shake to death. It's not unusual to happen, but you can pop the boot and put it back together if you catch it before you drive it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

InitialDave posted:

Do all the balls fall out or something?

My friend and I have been in no way careful when working on his A3, and didn't have any issues.

It was an A3 actually and yea the ball fell out of passenger side i found out after the test drive. Parts a week out. The worst part was the guy wanted to replace his S-Line suspension with Koni struts and H&R springs which he bought himself so I only got labor for the whole thing.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Preoptopus posted:

It was an A3 actually and yea the ball fell out of passenger side i found out after the test drive. Parts a week out. The worst part was the guy wanted to replace his S-Line suspension with Koni struts and H&R springs which he bought himself so I only got labor for the whole thing.

Eh? Outer joint?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mooseykins posted:

Eh? Outer joint?

inner. looking back on Alldata it explicitly says DO NOT LET THE CV DROP AS WILL RESULT IN INNER JOINT DAMAGE. Who the gently caress looks up Alldata for struts?!Ive had CVs pop out on plenty other applications and have always just popped them back in. Live and learn i guess.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Had a canoe trip today for the first time in forever. Highlights include falling out of the canoe in the middle of the lake without losing anything more than a flip-flop and my galpal/lifemate seeing a 1950s pontiac station wagon and saying "I WANT ONE."

:cool:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Do you mean in the inner spider (sliding 3-roller) ones?

Yeah, they can drop a bearing and either vibrate or just shake to death. It's not unusual to happen, but you can pop the boot and put it back together if you catch it before you drive it.
No, I think VAG use regular type CVs for inners, not the "tripod" joints.

I had a tripod joint come apart in a Panda. The joint is internal to the diff itself. loving needle bearings everywhere.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea it was all sorts of cracked chipped and hosed when we pulled it apart. I work right next to a highway, (dual carriageway for you brits) figured out the problem well on the on ramp.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Preoptopus posted:

inner. looking back on Alldata it explicitly says DO NOT LET THE CV DROP AS WILL RESULT IN INNER JOINT DAMAGE. Who the gently caress looks up Alldata for struts?!Ive had CVs pop out on plenty other applications and have always just popped them back in. Live and learn i guess.

Yeah, thought so.

If they do come apart you can pop the boot, and just reassemble. Stupid that the bearings aren't fixed onto the spider like some are though. Had it happen myself a number of times.

InitialDave posted:

No, I think VAG use regular type CVs for inners, not the "tripod" joints.

Some VAG autos use inner spiders, i think all manuals use a regular CV on both ends.

InitialDave posted:

I had a tripod joint come apart in a Panda. The joint is internal to the diff itself. loving needle bearings everywhere.

/Fiat. Usually the ring gear parts company with the diff before the CVs need work. Shitheaps.

• Locked thread