Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

OTOH not only are these solutions expensive, but there will be violence and crime associated with the refugee communities. There would be violence and crime in any area full of displaced people whatever their race, and to be frank Levant Arab culture is notorious for its toxic ideas of masculinity, rampant misogyny, and a weak sense of rule of law. Not lumping it in with Pashto or Gulf Arab culture which is inarguably worse in many respects but it's a reality. Acting like bending over backwards to be welcoming, lavishing money on model communities, and scrupulous political correctness will eliminate those problems is a mistake is the only salient point these blood-and-fatherland people make. Even with good policy, this is a humanitarian crisis that is going to leave everybody materially worse off than they were at least in the short term, because it is a disaster and requires resources to manage. Except for the people in states that close their borders.

So these arguments that "we can just do X Y and very-expensive Z and it will be better" are all very nice but this is best looked at as a disaster-response situation. There are going to be costs, and everybody's going to be worse off for it in the short term. Those costs whether they are first-order resource-distribution or second-order law order and assimilation costs are real and won't simply disappear in a blinding flash of liberal policy.

On the other hand, most things worth doing are expensive, states exist for the purpose of spending collective money on collective endeavors of worth, regardless of what their leaders may believe. That is their only justifiable purpose. People are already dying to violence and crime, and it does not become more acceptable because it's happening to other people. The goal must be to reduce that suffering, and to secure a good life for as many as possible. That is more achievable through integration than shooting everyone who turns up at the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

This is an excellent post. Unfortunately I do not think either side will believe you, and the world will be worse off for it.

What?

Huh?

Actually, I've always thought that if the goal is reducing human suffering, surely swift death is the most efficacious policy?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 6, 2015

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

OTOH not only are these solutions expensive, but there will be violence and crime associated with the refugee communities. There would be violence and crime in any area full of displaced people whatever their race, and to be frank Levant Arab culture is notorious for its toxic ideas of masculinity, rampant misogyny, and a weak sense of rule of law. Not lumping it in with Pashto or Gulf Arab culture which is inarguably worse in many respects but it's a reality. Acting like bending over backwards to be welcoming, lavishing money on model communities, and scrupulous political correctness will eliminate those problems is a mistake is the only salient point these blood-and-fatherland people make. Even with good policy, this is a humanitarian crisis that is going to leave everybody materially worse off than they were at least in the short term, because it is a disaster and requires resources to manage. Except for the people in states that close their borders.

So these arguments that "we can just do X Y and very-expensive Z and it will be better" are all very nice but this is best looked at as a disaster-response situation. There are going to be costs, and everybody's going to be worse off for it in the short term. Those costs whether they are first-order resource-distribution or second-order law order and assimilation costs are real and won't simply disappear in a blinding flash of liberal policy.

It is a fair point, I don't doubt that there will be some crime coming out of traumatized marginalized people. It will require patience, not allowing the entire group to be tarred with the same brush if a few knuckleheads start poo poo, and continued efforts to include people from those communities in societies while allowing them to also express their uniqueness. It shouldn't be that big a deal if their culture influences another. That is the sensation of ignorance fading away.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh?

Actually, I've always thought that if the goal is reducing human suffering, surely swift death is the most efficacious policy?

If something happened to your government or your society collapsed, would you feel it was fair for another government to kill you for the sake of not inconveniencing nationalistic jerks with authoritarian personalities?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

One side will continue to be against all changes in policy, other will continue to be naive. Certainly we could do better than that?

e: or to write it out more clearly, I thought the post was a good insight into the current divide we have. One side is against letting people come at all, one is willing to do the humane thing but seems so very blue-eyed about it. I don't think these two groups are willing to budge from their trenches, though.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 6, 2015

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
RE: segregation and insular communities. It's a huge thing in the Twin Cities between Hmong communities back in the day, Somalis now, and whomever might be next. I guess our Karen population is growing. Frankly, it stinks to hear the attitudes of people towards the Somali people. I'm sure it hasn't helped with the recruiting for ISIS that's been happening, especially in the lower-class neighborhoods.

Anyway, don't be dicks to people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Well yes but you would need to be able to wipe out all life on the planet with that, otherwise the social impact would probably be more deleterious than letting people live.

If you reach the point where it's OK to machinegun refugees on the basis that it will serve greater utility, while you are correct in a vacuum, it will probably swiftly become OK to machinegun a lot of other people until you have a fascist dictatorship.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
In related news, the EU announces a new forest fire management policy using lessons learned from the current migrant crisis; citizens mandated to strap burning logs to their vehicle roofs, and bring them home to their usually empty fireplaces.

The policy was fast tracked after photos of a singed squirrel made the rounds on social media.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stop the Squirrels. - Tony Abbot Prime Minister of Kuwait.

Unknown Dyne
Aug 23, 2010
Dead kids must be re-positioned for maximum emotional impact. Who do you think could be behind such manipulation?

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Unknown Dyne posted:

Dead kids must be re-positioned for maximum emotional impact. Who do you think could be behind such manipulation?

I fail to see the relevance.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
That's his brother, I believe.

Edit: grammar, tone

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 6, 2015

Unknown Dyne
Aug 23, 2010

MothraAttack posted:

god forbid you have a harsh tone on the forums that released tribute.avi to rave reviews 3 days after 9/11

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Unknown Dyne posted:

god forbid you have a harsh tone on the forums that released tribute.avi to rave reviews 3 days after 9/11

actually this is consistent with SA's longstanding "kill whitey" policy

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MothraAttack posted:

Yep.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34150364

quote:

Speaking at the burial for his wife and sons, Alan Kurdi's father Abdullah said: "I have no future any more. My future is gone."

The bodies of drowned Syrian boy Alan Kurdi and members of his family have been buried in Kobane in Syria after being transported there from Turkey.

Alan's father crossed into Kurdish-controlled Kobane with the coffins.

Three-year-old Alan, his brother Galip, five, and his mother Rehan died trying to reach the Greek island of Kos.
So no, Alan Kurdi's body wasn't re-positioned, that was the body of his brother Galip Kurdi.

Wow, debunking that bullshit was really loving easy, wasn't it?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 6, 2015

Unknown Dyne
Aug 23, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c4Rvz5stHE

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

drat look at all em darkies about to soil our women.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

RIP Europe

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Kyle Reese Terminator speech, really?

I favor the now out of fashion idea of a 'melting pot' but come the gently caress on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes but you would need to be able to wipe out all life on the planet with that, otherwise the social impact would probably be more deleterious than letting people live.

If you reach the point where it's OK to machinegun refugees on the basis that it will serve greater utility, while you are correct in a vacuum, it will probably swiftly become OK to machinegun a lot of other people until you have a fascist dictatorship.

I'm not seeing a hole in my logic here.

Unknown Dyne
Aug 23, 2010
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

This is basically neonazi propaganda meant to demonize people of color as savage rioters

Guess they have never seen white college kids after their team loses.

If you want barbarism, you need look no further than European and American actions in the middle east. These people are knocking over some cars. Europeans and Americans blow up cities, destroy entire economies, act as economic hitmen so that they can loot the resources of less powerful or less organized states. Western capitalism loves dictatorships because they are easy to work with and are good at imposing repugnant working conditions on people, and violent tactics against unions that western workers will no longer tolerate. Europe is the real predator.

Mandy Thompson fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 7, 2015

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:rolleyes:

Sweden has a broad definition of what constitutes rape, which means crimes that would be reported as lesser sexual crimes in other countries get reported as rape. Additionally, Police in Sweden have to record each instance of rape as a separate case, which means that if somebody comes to the police and says their husband raped them every day for 100 days, that's 100 separate cases of rape reported vs somewhere like the US where it would be reported as one case & one instance of rape. Swedish police are also much better at identifying & reporting rape than other police forces, and it's been shown in studies that when you improve gender equality, more people feel comfortable coming forward about sexual violence towards them.

Sweden's number of rapes per capita appears so large because they're one of the few countries - if not arguably the only country - that reports actual occurrences of rape & sexual violence so well.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Might aswell have post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNS-bIYcJR0

Surprisingly good voice on that nazi. (nazess???)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drat, thats some neonazi/pol/ poo poo right there. did this kind of outrage happen during all those disporias in the 19th century.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a little bit amazing that some people on the left will leap to defend rape as long as it's committed by the right people.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a little bit amazing that some people on the left will leap to defend rape as long as it's committed by the right people.

Do you think somebody defended rape in this thread?

Or maybe examined the evidence beyond screaming headlines?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

huh? Where?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

One side will continue to be against all changes in policy, other will continue to be naive. Certainly we could do better than that?

e: or to write it out more clearly, I thought the post was a good insight into the current divide we have. One side is against letting people come at all, one is willing to do the humane thing but seems so very blue-eyed about it. I don't think these two groups are willing to budge from their trenches, though.

I think you are wrong. I feel like the current argument is between "ignore/kill them all" and "this requires a humanitarian response" with no room left over for minutiae at the moment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

:rolleyes:

Sweden has a broad definition of what constitutes rape, which means crimes that would be reported as lesser sexual crimes in other countries get reported as rape. Additionally, Police in Sweden have to record each instance of rape as a separate case, which means that if somebody comes to the police and says their husband raped them every day for 100 days, that's 100 separate cases of rape reported vs somewhere like the US where it would be reported as one case & one instance of rape. Swedish police are also much better at identifying & reporting rape than other police forces, and it's been shown in studies that when you improve gender equality, more people feel comfortable coming forward about sexual violence towards them.

Sweden's number of rapes per capita appears so large because they're one of the few countries - if not arguably the only country - that reports actual occurrences of rape & sexual violence so well.

khwarezm posted:

Do you think somebody defended rape in this thread?

Or maybe examined the evidence beyond screaming headlines?

Tell me this is not an argument that rape isn't a very big deal, and we shouldn't worry about rape or how many women are raped in/by migrant communities. "Look, there will be some growing pains as these communities adjust and your rape really, well, I don't want to say it doesn't matter but it's been overreported, see? :rolleyes: Look, white nationalists are expressing concern over your rape, and that really tells you all you need to know, doesn't it?" How far away is this from "legitimate rape"?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arglebargle III posted:

Tell me this is not an argument that rape isn't a very big deal, and we shouldn't worry about rape or how many women are raped in/by migrant communities. "Look, there will be some growing pains as these communities adjust and your rape really, well, I don't want to say it doesn't matter but it's been overreported, see? :rolleyes: Look, white nationalists are expressing concern over your rape, and that really tells you all you need to know, doesn't it?" How far away is this from "legitimate rape"?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're right, my pointing out that factors leading to an environment that makes women more comfortable with reporting rape to the police & Sweden's differing statistical gathering methods for reporting rape cause Sweden to appear to have many more rapes when compared side by side to other nations is me jumping to the defense of rape. Bravo, you've thrown the veil of my scheme to allow a storm of refugees to flood Europe and rape its women aside. My hat's off to you, sir!

Here's another one: Rape is the most under reported crime in the United States, only 36% of rapes are reported to the police. Sweden doesn't actually have more rapes than other developed countries - as you'd have seen if you'd read any of what you replied to - the improved gender equality in Sweden leads to women feeling more comfortable with approaching the police about actual or attempted rape. Yes, rape is absolutely horrible in all situations, but you can't compare Sweden's numbers straight to another countries and claim that it's proof that some sea of immigrants are raping their way through Sweden when their reporting rates, stats gathering, and (thankfully!) broader definition of what actually constitutes rape are different from others.

Since you apparently have the reading comprehension of a seven year old and I fully expect to be called a rape apologist again for your no doubt stellar counter argument, let me spell this out for you: rape is one of those special kinds of evil that is wrong in all circumstances. Period. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Rape is always wrong, in all circumstances.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arglebargle III posted:

More reported rapes does not necessarily equal more rapes. I have other friends/acquaintances who were sexually harassed and threatened with rape (and in some cases, I'm pretty sure literally raped, too, but I didn't feel like prying on a rather unpleasant subject). One of these incidents actually happened during an international student contest in Hungary and was never reported to the police. There is no statistic anywhere showing what happened to her (just like there's no statistic saying that my friend who visited Sweden was threatened with rape). If this were reported, it would have made either Serbia or Hungary (depending whether you go by location or by nationality) look more rapey, despite the fact that it not being reported is a rather bad thing.

I believe the friend who was in Sweden, and her experience means that something went horribly wrong somewhere, and the underlyign reason needs to be figured out and dealt with, but holy poo poo, the refugees are not a big pile of rapists charging in to grab the womenfolk. And this is running into my personal pet peeve of dudes using discrimination against women, which they rarely fully understand, as a political weapon in an unrelated fight (And I fully admit the :ironicat: here. But at least I try to talk to friends who experienced it in order to learn more about it, and the things I hear and the things people protesting about rapey immigrants say are very different). The best comparison to this would be how US D&D goons feel when Republicans use Vilerat's death to further their aims in a political debate.

Yes, there is gonna be a heckuva lot of misogyny coming from a statistically larger number of refugees compared to the locals. But you know who's going to suffer from it the most, by far? Women refugees. Punishing all the refugees for misogyny of some refugees is literally the worst thing you could do to deal with it.

my dad fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 7, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

Since you apparently have the reading comprehension of a seven year old and I fully expect to be called a rape apologist again for your no doubt stellar counter argument, let me spell this out for you: rape is one of those special kinds of evil that is wrong in all circumstances. Period. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Rape is always wrong, in all circumstances.

Counter argument to what?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

my dad posted:

I believe the friend who was in Sweden, and her experience means that something went horribly wrong somewhere

Unverifiable, anecdotal evidence usually mean poo poo all, actually.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Unverifiable, anecdotal evidence usually mean poo poo all, actually.

To you, person on the internet, yes. To me, someone who actually knows her, no.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
I don't think Europe or England understand what true Diversity, Tolerance, or Common Sense means anymore and that this whole endeavor is going to fail miserably.

But not that I care. I'm a American. gently caress the pissant little Europeons. Seen so many people compare this event to the growth in France from immigrants and people pointing to that failure as a reason it can never worked all while ignoring how loving insular French society is in the first place and how loving xenephobic their culture is from the outset.

Diversity sure as gently caress isn't going to mean accepting every little cultural standard or tradition - these things are supposed to meld: the best traits of one, the best traits of another, into a overall national identity.

Europeans like to treat it completely differently. They are so drat insular and cling so much to their antiquated meaningless kings, queens, old rulers, tea time, lovely languages, nude broads in their loving newspapers, sports traditions, food, drink, and so on that they'd never give a chance for that to happen. So things will be segregated from the get-go. Which means it simply will not work.

I mean I'd love this to happen for all the refugees to settle down, integrate into society, the national identity and culture to meld to where Hummus, Tabbouleh, and Shawarma became part of the standard national cuisine. But the rise of the european right means there is only going to be violence, discrimination, hate, and hate crimes for the far forseeable future and the effects of those people, and their political policies will ensure any kind of proper cultural fusion is impossible. Any Muslim thinking of going to Europe in this day and age should think twice about the likelihood of having his whole family hacked down with an axe by a neo-nazi crazy.

I don't understand why we can't just do massive airlifts of refugees to the richer arab states and laugh at them if they try to stop us.

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 7, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Also the United States biggest mistake in Syria was their failure to commit to Assad and propup one of the few remaining Secular states in the Middle East. Secular Democracy which in 90s seemed inevitable in the middle east is now a pipe dream. They committed the same mistake in taking out Saddam Hussein. The only hope for secular states in the Middle East post-bush is via dictatorship whether you like that or not. The final result of the Syrian war will be a Secular Dictatorship or Sharia law of some form. There is zero hope for secular democracy in the Middle East.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
8/10

Taking 2 point off because your second post made the troll too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

But not that I care. I'm a American. gently caress the pissant little Europeons. Seen so many people compare this event to the growth in France from immigrants and people pointing to that failure as a reason it can never worked all while ignoring how loving insular French society is in the first place and how loving xenephobic their culture is from the outset.

Weren't you pretending to be Colombian just like a day ago in the Venezuelan thread?

• Locked thread