Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Friar Zucchini posted:

Well I guess not enough people are trying hard enough cause I got it :shrug:

yeah I was surprised by how relatively effortless it was to get the GOL once I decided to actually try to get it.

MP7 on the other hand? Thank god I got that back before every anti-air option got nerfed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

I've never played a BF game before but I just picked this up on a whim because someone was selling a key in SA-Mart for a fiver, is there still active goon play in Euro time zones?

EU goons are not too active anymore. A few of us play semi-regularly. Join the platoon.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Aces High posted:

yeah I was surprised by how relatively effortless it was to get the GOL once I decided to actually try to get it.
MP7 on the other hand? Thank god I got that back before every anti-air option got nerfed :v:
I'm such an achievement whore, I had to go back and look at the challenges to see how you're supposed to unlock stuff cause I finished unlocking all the weapons ages ago. :v: At this point pretty much every achievement I haven't gotten is because it's a stupid pain in the rear end (Jump Master) or involves a game mode that isn't Conquest. My main aim right now is to get 500 kills with whatever weapons I feel like. The highest number of kills I have with any weapon is 507 with the Mk11 and M249, and that's just because I finished up early in a round and got too busy mid-game to use something else.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 6, 2015

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone else having issues with firefox? It's somehow managing to use 50% of my CPU power. I'm on 40.0.3.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Euro goons had a full squad running this Sunday. Log into mumble and join the platoon, if we play we will be on the mumble.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can someone explain to me how "skill" is computed in the Battlelog? Because I literally have no idea.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone explain to me how "skill" is computed in the Battlelog? Because I literally have no idea.

I think it's a kind of Elo rating based on who you kill and who kills you. So basically if you kill somebody with a higher skill-rating than you then your skill goes up a bunch, if you kill somebody with much lower skill it doesn't go up as much or at all. If you're killed by somebody with a lower skill-rating your own skill is reduced by a lot, if you're killed by somebody with a higher skill it won't reduce all that much. So in the context of objective-based gamemodes it's pretty much completely meaningless.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Perestroika posted:

I think it's a kind of Elo rating based on who you kill and who kills you. So basically if you kill somebody with a higher skill-rating than you then your skill goes up a bunch, if you kill somebody with much lower skill it doesn't go up as much or at all. If you're killed by somebody with a lower skill-rating your own skill is reduced by a lot, if you're killed by somebody with a higher skill it won't reduce all that much. So in the context of objective-based gamemodes it's pretty much completely meaningless.

Also I'm pretty sure SPM includes boosts and so is likewise fairly pointless to track.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
SPM does not include boosts I am reasonably sure.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Skill is a worthless stat, don't worry about it. Once I joined a server, saw that it was a terrible game mode on a terrible map so I left without spawning in, the game gave me -61 skill for that.

Flag caps/defends is the only worthwhile stat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

And resupplies. Always rocking dual ammo box because I love to spread brass love.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SKill is used for matchmaking as well, I believe.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Sandweed posted:

Skill is a worthless stat, don't worry about it. Once I joined a server, saw that it was a terrible game mode on a terrible map so I left without spawning in, the game gave me -61 skill for that.

Flag caps/defends is the only worthwhile stat.
Skill was a good snapshot of how consistently someone played effectively in BF3, in BF4 it's basically a happy meal 'dora the explorer' compass that can literally hemorrhage points for not playing the game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Skill was a good snapshot of how consistently someone played effectively in BF3, in BF4 it's basically a happy meal 'dora the explorer' compass that can literally hemorrhage points for not playing the game.

And this is why the phrase "Skill Based Matchmaking" is scaring people away from Battlefront.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Skill was and is the easiest gamed stat in both bf3 and bf4. Bf3 all it took was a few metro rounds to up the skill stat by 200 or more points. Game modes and map choice were the only defining factor in the skill stat due to it being based only on kills and the skill stat of the other person. Seriously stop with the loving bf3 bullshit it was old when bf4 came out and its old now. Yeah you liked bf3 better we all get it now hop off the cross and use the wood to build a bridge and get the gently caress over it. Or you know at least have a loving clue what your talking about for once.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Raphus C posted:

EU goons are not too active anymore. A few of us play semi-regularly. Join the platoon.

Ok I must be a retard, but how exactly do I do this? Clicking on platoons jsut gives me a button to create one, no other options.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Ok I must be a retard, but how exactly do I do this? Clicking on platoons jsut gives me a button to create one, no other options.

What is your origin name I think we can send you an invite.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Pharnakes, I think.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

And this is why the phrase "Skill Based Matchmaking" is scaring people away from Battlefront.

There's no winning really. Either it goes to skill based matchmaking or we could have servers but 99% of them broadcast "DONATE $10 FOR ADMIN/TEAMSWITCH" as one team is horrendously teamstacking.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
24x7 SPACE METRO/JEDI LOCKERS NO THERMAL DETONATORS 10K TICKETS

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Pharnakes, I think.

I have sent a friend request, once you accept I can invite you. The platoon is invite only.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sitchelin posted:

There's no winning really. Either it goes to skill based matchmaking or we could have servers but 99% of them broadcast "DONATE $10 FOR ADMIN/TEAMSWITCH" as one team is horrendously teamstacking.

It's true that allowing custom servers means loads of them are poo poo, but it also means that you can consistently join only the ones that are good.

And they could have made a lot of the shittiest servers disappear by having 100% vehicle respawn time and sensible ticket counts as requirements for ranked status.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

And they could have made a lot of the shittiest servers disappear by having 100% vehicle respawn time and sensible ticket counts as requirements for ranked status.

This. A lot of people complain about instant spawn vehicles, which is 100 percent terrible and they are not wrong to bitch. Everyone does, however, forget or have not experienced the misery that is 200 percent vehicle spawn, which is somehow a zillion times worse than instant.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DA PANET EARF posted:

This. A lot of people complain about instant spawn vehicles, which is 100 percent terrible and they are not wrong to bitch. Everyone does, however, forget or have not experienced the misery that is 200 percent vehicle spawn, which is somehow a zillion times worse than instant.

I remember a while back we found some server with like 500% spawn time increase on vehicles and the admins couldn't understand why people thought it was bad when one team ended up having to run everywhere due to the crazy delayed vehicle spawns. They took it personally that people didn't like not having vehicles on like loving Caspian Border.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lazyfire posted:

I remember a while back we found some server with like 500% spawn time increase on vehicles and the admins couldn't understand why people thought it was bad when one team ended up having to run everywhere due to the crazy delayed vehicle spawns. They took it personally that people didn't like not having vehicles on like loving Caspian Border.

Golmud made for some lovely hiking. It was the sec8 server.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Lazyfire posted:

I played a lot on one of these in BF3 and it was loving awesome, but you really gotta pick a good map for it. Like Karkand :getin:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I could see that being alright on conquest small where the maps are resized to concentrate infantry close to each other. But conquest large? No way, that's dumb as poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Really it speaks to another problem. There's plenty of attack vehicles (jets, helicopters, tanks, lavs, etc) by default, but a ridiculous shortage of jeeps and motorbikes.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
We can change that.

SOUND THE HORN OF GOONDOR!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
battlefield has too much lockon poo poo for my taste

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id like less lockons and higher damage taken on vehicles from regular rockets

that would mean positioning is more important for not taking rocket fire and not "you stuck out a little bit and 3 people are immediately locking on to you"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I can't remember the last time a lock on weapon killed me in a vehicle.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sandweed posted:

:agreed:

They can't lock a javelin on the jihad jeeps fast enough.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Not sure why you be afraid of most lock-on weapons.

It's far more scary if there's couple of competent engineers in any area with some cover. A pair of simultaneous RPGs will ruin your day.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Lazyfire posted:

What server did we find that had Rush no vehicles and still included poo poo like Paracel Storm? Don't Camp? Jesus that was worse than instant vehicle even.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

The worst part of 200+ percent vehicles servers isn't the lack of transport (even though that poo poo does suck rear end), it's the fact that people seem to think it cuts down on vehicle whoring, when in reality it makes it so much worse. On a round when you have Chronojam in an AA and he kills your tanks, well have fun avoiding him for a long rear end time, because you gotta wait for a tank to counter him/keep him down. Usually the best counter to a vehicle is a vehicle, and when you gotta wait forever it sucks.

Also less jihading.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sandweed posted:

Its not about being killed by them, I don't think lockons are fun. I just don't like the meta of a bunch of engineers keeping a heli/tank up and all that is interesting. I can ride around in a heli for a whole match and not die as I'm repairing for a sky god, but it doesn't mean it makes for good gameplay for the pilots, for the engineers, etc.

I just think the game would be more fun the launchers that required aiming were a bit more center stage

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BTW all you need to delete all Jihad Jeeps from a map is just run a MAV and blow them all up yourself. Plus it's hilarious to see the MAV show up in the killfeed.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Sorry but jihad jeeps are the best and should be used as much as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I think I've gotten killed by one, like, once so far in BF4. I got them up the rear end all the drat time in BC2 but just not at all here. And I see them a lot, so I guess people are just bad at jihad jeeping? Maybe I should just tank more, then they'd kill me more often. For a long time I figured they'd gotten a huge nerf or something cause they just never gently caress with me but from what you all are saying maybe not?

• Locked thread