Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Video of Corbyn and Cameron today here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTHW30ppIs

warning: contains David Cameron

edit: 2024: Ireland is reunited, according to Star Trek. Also World War IV starts, according to Doctor Who, which is hopefully not related

Angepain fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

There's not even a good rationale for this, it's just evil.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Today Jeremy Corbyn attended a conference that claimed Jeremy Corbyn was a 'friend' to terrorist organisations Hamas and Hezbollah, the BBC's Panorama programme has learned.

Mr Corbyn, who is tipped to be the next Labour leader, attended the event on behalf of the constituency of Islington North.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh for gently caress's sake again with the 'friends' thing.

What the hell is he supposed to do when GIVING THE PLENARY AT A loving CONFERENCE?

'I'd like to welcome our friends from Israel and those terrorist cunts from Hezbollah and Hamas'?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It is clear that he's an Islamic terrorist just look at his beard

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

edit: 2024: Ireland is reunited, according to Star Trek. Also World War IV starts, according to Doctor Who, which is hopefully not related
I bet it is. It makes more sense that it is than it isn't. Maybe the British government becomes so hyperbolic by 2024 that the peaceful reunification of Ireland followed by a binfleg being set on fire is enough to count as a world war. Or maybe the reunification happens the other way around and a lot of people get mad at the UK.

Noxville posted:

They're full independent adults at 18. Now let me tell you why 18 year olds shouldn't get benefits.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Noxville posted:

I refuse to believe that's true, it's comic book level supervillainry.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake again with the 'friends' thing.

What the hell is he supposed to do when GIVING THE PLENARY AT A loving CONFERENCE?

'I'd like to welcome our friends from Israel and those terrorist cunts from Hezbollah and Hamas'?

"I'd like to welcome you all here today" would do the job without leaving you open to attack from the right-wing press.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Noxville posted:

"I want no more photos of dead kids. But ffs find someway to be cruel about it."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thehustler posted:

"I'd like to welcome you all here today" would do the job without leaving you open to attack from the right-wing press.

This is true.

But, given that everyone, including the prime minister and the reporters, knows and understands the context, why oh why do they have to be cocks about it?

I know the answer to that, but... it still loving infuriates me. Chasing the headline rather than the story is why we wind up with triangulating non-statements from every goddamn carbon-copy Blairbot and Cambot. Feeling you have to guard your tongue against saying words which can be prefaced and/or followed by '...' (or even not directly quoted but paraphrased) is the cause of people spending all their time saying nothing and not answering the question they're asked. And yet, the media as a whole gets pissed when people turn up to interviews and resolutely stick to the line they came in with without even thinking about what they're being asked.

Ugh, I wish there was a real solution to this, but I just can't see one. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I dread to think what politics will look like in 10 years when the candidates every ill-thought-out tweet from 15 years ago when they were in college will be laid bare for the world to see and take out of context.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There is literally no practical explanation for that kind of scheme; the UK pays for these refugees' entire upbringing, then sends them away before they can be productive members of society. There is literally no justification for it outside of the obvious "these people aren't likely to vote Tory" political one.

It will be sickening if they manage to get away with this with 0 outcry.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gonzo McFee posted:

Top quality New Labour crying from a moaning baked bean.

Instead of scrapping trident we should sell it off to a bunch of African PMCs :shepface: (why we don't have any METAL GEAR smilies I can't imagine)

Noxville posted:

I hope you're all aware we already do this. 18 year old kids raised by English foster parents wandering around Afghanistan without any local connections or language skills is a real thing that actually happens right now.

e/ here we go.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 7, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thankfully I spent the last 8 years of my time in Britain in Brighton, which was like a multi-cultural heaven-on-earth compared to literally everywhere else I've lived in the UK.

Why do you think it's so different? I mean I'd call Birmingham or Manchester multicultural, but that doesn't mean they aren't full of racist fucks. Maybe it's all the sunshine

Noxville posted:

Funny I thought this government was trying to prevent young people going to Syria

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Noxville posted:

This is already what happens to most of them. Instead of assessing refugee status on arrival children are given leave to remain until they are 17.5, at which point they are deported (when it's safe to land because the airport isnt in the middle of a running battle).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

This is already what happens to most of them. Instead of assessing refugee status on arrival children are given leave to remain until they are 17.5, at which point they are deported (when it's safe to land because the airport isnt in the middle of a running battle).

I'm shocked that this is already the case. It makes literally no sense whatsoever from any perspective you can think of (outside of the obvious political sadist perspective).

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Angepain posted:

What do people make of Cameron's strategy? Putting aside the question of numbers, where it's clear we're woefully not pulling our weight, there is a certain logic to taking refugees directly from the conflict zone so that they don't see the dangerous crossing as their only option.

quote:

The High Ground is actually a great TNG episode incidentally. It was banned in the UK for many years because of its "there are two sides" portrayal of a terrorist struggle.

Kokoro Wish posted:

As a person of semi-filipino descent who grew up in a small market town in the NE, British casual racism is rampant. For the first 15 years of life I was called everything under the sun. Lived there for 30 years in various regions from small towns all the way up to large cities and it was still just as bad almost everywhere. Worst was probably in Birmingham where a gang of youth followed me around spitting on my trousers and chanting "Paki, paki paki. Out, out, out.". That's closely followed by Newcastle where on an average week, after working at a bar I'd have someone come literally right up to my face and call me a paki, chink, gook or whatever they could think of.

Thankfully I spent the last 8 years of my time in Britain in Brighton, which was like a multi-cultural heaven-on-earth compared to literally everywhere else I've lived in the UK.

I don't even know what to say about this, other than try and make some pointless apology for my terrible country. :o: poo poo.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

What do people make of Cameron's strategy? Putting aside the question of numbers, where it's clear we're woefully not pulling our weight, there is a certain logic to taking refugees directly from the conflict zone so that they don't see the dangerous crossing as their only option.

Also it means that more vulnerable people who are not capable of travelling across the continent have more of a chance. I know people go on about the refugees in Europe being predominantly young men as though it makes them more threatening (which I obviously don't agree with) but it also means that there's a shitload of women/people with disabilities/children/old people who presumably aren't staying put because life is dandy for them but because they just can't make it. I don't know what the answer is but it did cross my mind that concentrating all the attention on those who had made the journey meant that people who couldn't even try were kind of being ignored.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Angepain posted:

What the the gently caress is that oval office gideon having a great laugh about just as the PM starts speaking?

e: 1 min in

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kegluneq posted:

She's had a higher profile with regards to the refugee crisis, it might just be a case of increased media coverage.

As with all Cooper positions, it's basically seeing the way the wind blows and adjusting accordingly:

XMNN posted:

I refuse to believe that's true, it's comic book level supervillainry.

This is the party that famously snatched the milk of children in the 70s and is now gearing up for a repeat, so you know...

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 7, 2015

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Seaside Loafer posted:

What the the gently caress is that oval office gideon having a great laugh about just as the PM starts speaking?

e: 1 min in

Someone brought up syrian refugees and well, it just tickled him

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

baka kaba posted:

Why do you think it's so different? I mean I'd call Birmingham or Manchester multicultural, but that doesn't mean they aren't full of racist fucks. Maybe it's all the sunshine

I have no loving clue. Just from general observation it basically that the place is just eccentric as gently caress and all races and nationalities seem to mingle with little segregation going on. Wander the area known as the Lanes and you get Japanese tea shops next to Turkish cafes with Hookas and all, next to a juice bar with a goofy pun name run by a weird bearded white guy wearing a bowler hat.

At least that's in the middle of town, the more you move out of the center, the more suburban and white it gets. Lots of upper-middle t upper class peeps. Lots of money, but more left thinking, liberal people than I have ever come across in concentration anywhere else in the UK. Sure, there are pockets of conservatism, but they had a Green party council for a number of years before they hosed over meeting their pledges, now I believe it's Labour and there's a very strong backing for Corbyn.

Still, all the while I was there I didn't encounter a single instance of overt racism, which was almost baffling to me. A homeless guy did call me fat this one time.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 7, 2015

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Wander the area known as the Lanes and you get japanese tea shops next to Turkish cafes with Hookas and all, next to a juice bar with a goofy pun name run by a weird bearded white guy wearing a bowler hat.

Huh, you appear to have made a carbon copy of north London and added some japanese tea shops

Might have to give that a go

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

You would have thought he could at least attempt to represent the very important position he holds with some sort of dignity and gravitas but there he giggling like a schoolgirl at god knows what in front of the whole country while a serious matter is being brought up. The young woman who works mornings at the newsagent i go to in the morning is more professional.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hope you're all aware we already do this. 18 year old kids raised by English foster parents wandering around Afghanistan without any local connections or language skills is a real thing that actually happens right now.

e/ here we go.
Jesus loving christ we are an evil, selfish and miserable country.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Instead of scrapping trident we should sell it off to a bunch of African PMCs :shepface: (why we don't have any METAL GEAR smilies I can't imagine)

e/ here we go.

Lol. Light this garbage country on fire.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

thehustler posted:

The thing about Jeremy is that he well remembers 1987, when said press spent plenty of time squealing about him personally on very similar grounds to today (he's in CND! he wears a kaftan sometimes! he talks to the IRA! he defended Bernie Grant after Broadwater Farm!) and he doubled his majority. It didn't stick that time, so why should it now? Possibly this is too simplistic a view, but not giving a shite worked fine for Ken Livingstone until Boris Johnson appeared.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

baka kaba posted:

Who, Corbyn or Cameron?

Corbyn. As soon as Corbyn'd stopped talking he was laughing. How we can enforce the "right honourable" thing while letting openly laughing in people's faces pass I don't know.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I'm shocked that this is already the case. It makes literally no sense whatsoever from any perspective you can think of (outside of the obvious political sadist perspective).

It makes no sense from a Nationalist perspective even- we've invested time and money on healthcare and education for these people, and now we send them off just as they get ready to enter the workforce and start paying taxes.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

The thing about Jeremy is that he well remembers 1987, when said press spent plenty of time squealing about him personally on very similar grounds to today (he's in CND! he wears a kaftan sometimes! he talks to the IRA! he defended Bernie Grant after Broadwater Farm!) and he doubled his majority. It didn't stick that time, so why should it now? Possibly this is too simplistic a view, but not giving a shite worked fine for Ken Livingstone until Boris Johnson appeared.

Judging from what's come out about his mayoral term, BoJo only apparently succeeded by summiting new heights of giving zero shits.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Renfield posted:

It makes no sense from a Nationalist perspective even- we've invested time and money on healthcare and education for these people, and now we send them off just as they get ready to enter the workforce and start paying taxes.

.....but they're brown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phoon posted:

thats what video game press has always been though, same as all hobby press, theres no process of dismantling the once effective old system like we're seeing with journalism - i suppose you could say a press as compliant as a hobby press is the end goal of the very wealthy but it just seems a weird parallel to draw

In a sense the youtuber boom is probably the most journalistic you get with enthusiast press, people will rip the piss out of stuff they think is poo poo, but of course as it's amateur you don't get any guarantee of impartiality or quality.

Still better than actual game journalism though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Kegluneq posted:

Bit nervous about the news that half of those eligible to vote in the Labour leadership election have yet to do so, I hope we don't see a repeat of that Simpsons episode and everyone is complacent about a Corbyn win. I did like this snippet at the end though:

"Cooper pointed out that by last week half of the party’s members had yet to vote."

So that stat was a week-ish old and (unless I'm being too pedantic) it says members - not trade union affiliates or supporters where Corbyn's support is strongest.

Edit: I'm guessing that a lot of people whose "hearts" are with Corbyn but "heads" are with Cooper/Burnham make up the last minute voting bloc.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 7, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

.....but they're brown.

Judging by my neighbors attitudes, this really is the reason.

Also,

XMNN posted:

Jesus loving christ we are an evil, selfish and miserable country.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Renfield posted:

It makes no sense from a Nationalist perspective even- we've invested time and money on healthcare and education for these people, and now we send them off just as they get ready to steal a job and start paying taxes.

Surely we have to get rid of them before they steal a job tho???

That's MY job and those are MY taxes to moan about paying

And if we didn't invest in them we wouldn't have any taxes because they're stealing them all so really the problem solves itself if we just had the guts to pull up the drawbridge at fortress Engl i mean Britain

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 7, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think you can get away with murdering somebody just because it happened in the 80s.

Unless you're a government minister :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renfield posted:

It's the exact same poo poo pro-lifers pull with demanding all foetuses be born but not giving a drat about them after that.

You save the children by not dropping them into a warzone, then bolster your deportation figures to sate the racists by kicking them out as soon as they're not kids anymore. It's a numbers game like every other bloody thing in politics.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I suspect this panorama will be awful but I just saw a woman in a lil sebastian t shirt

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

KKKlean Energy posted:

Surely we have to get rid of them before they steal a job tho???

That's MY job and those are MY taxes to moan about paying

And if we didn't invest in them we wouldn't have any taxes because they're stealing them all so really the problem solves itself if we just had the guts to pull up the drawbridge at fortress Engl i mean Britain

I'd have gone for

Ready to spend a life scrounging on benefits watching Sky on Flat-Screen TVs

personally :P

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This is incredible they're massively playing up the sinister unions angle

e: "unfashionable causes" cuts to the thing about his clothes, no mention of apartheid

Phoon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
I think this is basically the biggest endorsement for Brighton being great that you can get

• Locked thread