Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

Fuuuck. Rear knock sensor in beatertruck ('00 GMC 4.8) is not removable- the hex just went crunch and started spinning. There's too much mud and crap around to safely pull the valley pan, there's not really enough room to get any fun extraction tools in there, Google says I have to hammer and chisel it out fuel-sender-lock-ring-style but I'm not sure the stud is going to take much of that. Anyone know a trick for these?

The knock sensors thread into a boss in the block, not the valley pan, anyway. You'd have to destroy the valley pan to get it off with a knock sensor in place. So yeah, destroying the knock sensor sounds like a better plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

OK that makes sense. I'll head to work tomorrow and grab a couple chisels.
Pretty sure I'm going to be snapping the sensor and drilling that stud out though, please tell me that's a blind hole :ohdear:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
If there's any sense to how the engine's designed, it should be a blind hole, yes. It may even be necessary for it to be a blind hole for the knock sensing to work, i think? GM, though...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

Ok, fair enough.

Those front bars are often flimsy as hell, and do nothing but trash your bumper/grille in a bump that would otherwise have just been paint scratches.

thats fixable...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tommychu posted:

OK that makes sense. I'll head to work tomorrow and grab a couple chisels.
Pretty sure I'm going to be snapping the sensor and drilling that stud out though, please tell me that's a blind hole :ohdear:

It is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Mmm, I wasn't sure when I started watching it, but it was really good.

Besides, they killed his dog. Kill 'em all.

It was a lot better than expected. Honestly, the female assassin being killed out of hand was kind of anticlimactic, and the final fight was nothing to write home about but otherwise it was excellent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn. Mini rant here. Boss knew it was Memorial Day when he wrote the schedule - knew it well enough that he took the week off. But didn't know it well enough to know he should schedule extra staff. We got demolished, and it was just me as a driver, and a fresh-out-of-training shift manager who was in tears at one point from all the angry customers calling and demanding to know why it's taking so long.

23 deliveries in 5.5 hours, and those deliveries covered portions of 4 different cities. :stonk: The only bit of my normal morning prep I got done was taking out the trash (usually I also make all the pastas for the day, make pizza sauce, and prep wings), then the poo poo hit the fan. I got the gently caress out of there once the evening drivers showed up, no way in hell was I staying for more of that (I stayed late as it is, and I wasn't about to tell the closing manager I didn't have IOP due to the holiday). Made some decent coin, but I was already feeling like poo poo from not eating all day.

Can't wait for my new phone to show up. This phone did somewhat redeem its shittiness a little though - the battery was only down to 28% when I left work, after using Google Maps all day. Nearly 3 hours of screen-on time, that's pretty impressive (then again, I guess it doesn't take much to power a 3.5" LCD). The N5 would have been recharged at least once and already almost dead again after that much use. I left work an hour and a half ago, and made a few calls since then, and it's only down to 25% now. It has an adorable little 1500 mAh battery in it...

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, but that's with a cup of tea (six sugars) in one hand and a bacon buttie in the other, yelling "ORRIGHT LUV" at a female corner marshal as you swerve to stop that minicab wanker behind you from overtaking.

This is just so stereotypically British that I can't stop giggling.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Risking opening a 55-gallon drum of worms here with oilchat, but which filters should I be using? (directed to the thread in general) Wix/OEM/anything-but-Fram? They're all within a few $ of each other.

I generally use OEM or Purolator, whichever happens to be on the shelf at WalMart.

Since my car uses a cartridge filter instead of a spin-on canister, I thought I'd try Fram - there's nowhere for cardboard in my filter, and no drainback valve for them to gently caress up, so I thought it was worth a shot. When I pulled it out during the next oil change, the filter had collapsed in on itself. :stare:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

88h88 posted:

Watched John Wick with the sound way up. He drove about in an old Mustang and played with it a bit on an airfield. Sounded so good. Also Keanu Reeves playing a part really well? What's going on here?? Greatly enjoyed that film.
John Wick was loving awesome, and they really need to develop it into a full franchise. Not using cuts every half second is the best film technique ever (gently caress you modern action movies).

Best line of the whole movie is the simple "Oh." Nice mix of "OH poo poo!" and utter dread rolled into one word.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 8, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn. Mini rant here. Boss knew it was Memorial Day when he wrote the schedule

drat, I didn't realize they made schedules that far in advance. :v:

(im sorry)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Risking opening a 55-gallon drum of worms here with oilchat, but which filters should I be using? (directed to the thread in general) Wix/OEM/anything-but-Fram? They're all within a few $ of each other.

Wix are p. good for the price. O'reilly's house brand is actually made by wix at the same plant and is a few bucks cheaper normally (disclaimer, I work for the green monster so my preference is biased. I still use wix over our house brand though). Bosch, Mobil 1 and the like are all a small step up in quality, K&N is shiny poo poo for magpie minds and not worth the price despite the nut on base of the regular filters being a p. awesome thing. There are some royal purple filters if you just wanna toss your money into the trash.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

John Wick was loving awesome, and they really need to develop it into a full franchise. Not using cuts every half second is the best film technique ever (gently caress you modern action movies).

Best line of the whole movie is the simple "Oh." Nice mix of "OH poo poo!" and utter dread rolled into one word.

I want to watch that movie so bad,because I hear nothing but good.

But the dog dies, and I'm a giant loving baby, so I still haven't.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay so the previous owner on my bus thought duct tape was the right way to go for wiring. Also he directly wired 12v to the antenna line (intentionally, used a spade connector and homemade adapter and everything), which explains why the radio didn't work anyway. This is getting interesting.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

Okay so the previous owner on my bus thought duct tape was the right way to go for wiring. Also he directly wired 12v to the antenna line (intentionally, used a spade connector and homemade adapter and everything), which explains why the radio didn't work anyway. This is getting interesting.

:allears:

maybe he was trying to amplify the signal reception

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

It's worth to see exactly what Wick does to take revenge.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Jesus Christ, yes. John gets his.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Can't wait for my new phone to show up. This phone did somewhat redeem its shittiness a little though - the battery was only down to 28% when I left work, after using Google Maps all day. Nearly 3 hours of screen-on time, that's pretty impressive (then again, I guess it doesn't take much to power a 3.5" LCD). The N5 would have been recharged at least once and already almost dead again after that much use. I left work an hour and a half ago, and made a few calls since then, and it's only down to 25% now. It has an adorable little 1500 mAh battery in it...

Do you not have a car charger? I like to keep a power bank like this on hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...nker+power+bank

They've saved my rear end a few times before.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

If someone killed my dog I would probably go on a similar rampage. I miss my Anna Banana stinky butt every drat day. Her leash and collar are hanging from my window blinds.

Trip report. Been over a week since I stopped smoking weed. Weekday nights and all day on the weekends are boring as poo poo. Luckily my Xanax script and booze helps me fall asleep. Emailed my resume to a few local companies today that do what I do. I'm just sick of making literally half of what my old job paid with no bennies at all. Give me $20/hr, a service van, a 401K and health bennies and I will bust my rear end everyday. So depressing.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 8, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If someone killed my dog I would probably go on a similar rampage. I miss my Anna Banana stinky butt every drat day. Her leash and collar are hanging from my window blinds.

Trip report. Been over a week since I stopped smoking weed. Weekday nights and all day on the weekends are boring as poo poo. Luckily my Xanax script and booze helps me fall asleep. Emailed my resume to a few local companies today that do what I do. I'm just sick of making literally half of what my old job paid with no bennies at all. Give me $20/hr, a service van, a 401K and health bennies and I will bust my rear end everyday. So depressing.

that's... that's not better than weed...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Except I have a script for it so I can't fail a piss test because of it. Trust me, I rather hit the bong a few times instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

drat, I didn't realize they made schedules that far in advance. :v:

(im sorry)

:haw::hf::downsgun:

They're :airquote: supposed :airquote: to be written at least a week in advance, and posted by Thursday (our workweek ends on Monday night). In reality, they usually get written Thursday or Friday, and posted Friday or Saturday.

Still a serious fuckup on his part, and he's going to have to answer to both his boss and the owner. Unfortunately, the opening manager will also have to answer to them, as I took two triples today (that's a huge no-no). Both of them meant the 3rd customer got their order a good 20-30 minutes earlier than they would have if I had to drive all the way back to the store, since I was already in their area, but the orders were still late as poo poo. I'll probably have to answer to them as well, since one of them was dispatched using my password. We have a huge delivery area, so when I took triples, it just so happened that the first 3 orders were going the same direction, and were all lined up along one road (... just split across 2 cities).

Since our delivery area is so big, we're budgeted labor for 1 driver for 3 deliveries per hour (corporate owned stores tend to have denser areas, and budget for 1 driver/4 deliveries per hour). I whacked 6 deliveries in an hour at least once today (according to the computer), and averaged 4 per hour through my entire shift, including the time I was in the store. I've hit 7 per hour once at this store, which had both the owner and area coach asking my boss "how the hell did he do that?".

mariooncrack posted:

Do you not have a car charger? I like to keep a power bank like this on hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...nker+power+bank

They've saved my rear end a few times before.

I did have one, but it crapped out. My head unit has a USB connection, but it only puts out something like 250mA. Something so silly that it can't even get the lovely ZTE phone to charge.

And the battery pack I was talking about is very similar to that - it's also Anker. http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mAh-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B009USAJCC/ I don't leave home without either that or a smaller ~2500 mAh no-name version.

Is this where I take a picture of a picture that stretches across 3 monitors? Because that's loving huge.

And take better care of your feet. :cripes:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 8, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hey, I found a chisel!

With another look at the position of this thing there's no fuckin' way I can drill it straight (even if it broke with something resembling a flat face, which it didn't) so off to the shop it goes.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sorry STR I uploaded it right from my phone. I'lk edit it to thumbnails. Actually my feet are dead sexy minus the corns on my big toes. It's just all the IG filters.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I whacked 6 deliveries in an hour at least once today (according to the computer), and averaged 4 per hour through my entire shift, including the time I was in the store. I've hit 7 per hour once at this store, which had both the owner and area coach asking my boss "how the hell did he do that?".

I've done 30+ deliveries in 6 hours of work twice in the last month with 8 done in an hour. Get on my level scrub. :P

(5 of these were done in a single stop, I'm not as awesome as I pretend)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Also eating all my roommate's food who's been gone for 2 weeks now on vacation >>>>>>>>>>>>>

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

I've done 30+ deliveries in 6 hours of work twice in the last month with 8 done in an hour. Get on my level scrub. :P

(5 of these were done in a single stop, I'm not as awesome as I pretend)

My delivery area covers (parts of) 4 cities. :colbert:

(I've done 11 in an hour before at another store, but all on one trip)

Normally with the 'Hut, triples = writeup, anything more than a triple = termination of a manager, unless there's no way around them. Two of the triples I saw as "has to be done, otherwise everything else gets kicked back at least 30 minutes". The third I had lined up because I knew it would work, but we were caught up enough that the opening manager was like "no, hell no, I'm already going to get an rear end chewing as it is". Worked out for the best, they hosed up the order badly enough that it took TWO remakes to get it right (the 3rd try was coming out of the oven as I walked in the door).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 8, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My delivery area covers (parts of) 4 cities. :colbert:

(I've done 11 in an hour before at another store, but all on one trip)

Mine covers parts of 5 cities/communities. Spring Hill, Brooksville, Bayport, Hernando Beach and Weeki Wachi.

(Your delivery area is probably is just as built up as mine. I should take a video of the run out to one of our far shops. 15 minute drive, but down an awesome little bit of road lined with pine forests in the state park on both sides.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Your area sounds like it's a lot nicer. Mine is about half 70s starter homes, the rest is really wide spread out stuff. Lots of former farmland (and current farmland). Covers primarily east Allen, part of Lucas, most of Parker, and a tiny tiny part of Plano.

We're giving serious thoughts to actually moving the store - the current store is old as hell (closing in on 30 years old), and poo poo is constantly breaking. It's also at the far western edge of our delivery area. We'd love to build a new store right in the center, once they finish some roads nearby. That will also allow us to serve all of Parker and most, if not all, of Lucas, instead of parts. I'd say 90% of our orders are east of the store anyway, very very little goes north or west (and the western boundary of our delivery area is less than 1 mile away). If it does move, it'll probably be in a year or so.

I really do like the orders way out to the eastern border of our area, even though it's a long drive - it's all flat here, but it gets me out of the city and into a half step above rural stuff. 2 lane roads with lots of curves, get a good look at the lakes while I'm driving on those roads too.

e: if I remember, I'll do a west to east video tomorrow when I go to pick up my paycheck. It goes from suburban to "burger stand in front of a ranch that also sells fresh steaks" to "hey cletus, you want some worms for that there fishin line? I got some chikin fried steak from yesterday too" pretty quick. I've never seen a street go from 2M+ houses to 30+ year old mobile homes in a block before working here :stare:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 8, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Your area sounds like it's a lot nicer. Mine is about half 70s starter homes, the rest is really wide spread out stuff. Lots of former farmland (and current farmland). Covers primarily east Allen, part of Lucas, most of Parker, and a tiny tiny part of Plano.

Not really, most of the area was first laid down in the 70's and 80's with a bit more construction in the 90's. Farther north of here is where most of the recent construction has been. Once you cross north of county line, it gets kinda desolate until you hit the crystal river area, then it just turns into farmland once you pass SR 44. SR 50 is basically the northern limit of the tampa/st pete sprawl. Its kinda terrifying how quickly it goes from fairly developed suburbs to ranchettes and dirt roads.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Wick was passable. The constant cgi was really distracting to me and the plot was a bit generic (oh noes! Pissed off assassin kills everyone!), still worth a watch though.

My eldest turned three today. Wtf.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I hate movies that have Russian characters who dont speak real Russian.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Continually falling prices written in paint pen are a good sign, right?

Final price: Ten O'clock

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've done a ton of deliveries in a short amount of time before, but I'm not sure what my delivery per hour rate is. I do know that there are days where I'm not in the store more than 30 minutes out of an 8 hour shift.

AI: Content - I deliver parts :v:

More AI: Started watching Narcos. I'm pretty sure there's a 83-86ish Ford in a parking garage in a scene that takes place in 1979. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

I hate movies that have Russian characters who dont speak real Russian.

How did you feel about enemy at the gates

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

The dog dying is sad. You'll get over it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Woke up at 6:30, worked from 7:15 am until 11 pm. My body is in hurting mode.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

The dog dying is sad. You'll get over it.

I can't watch Road Warrior as an adult and Jurassic Bark turns me into an infant. Not as bad as those?

Also, nailed my hand twice in twenty minutes yesterday with a 3lb hammer at full swing. Pretty sure I have a couple fractures but eh gently caress it, hand still works.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

I can't watch Road Warrior as an adult and Jurassic Bark turns me into an infant. Not as bad as those?

Yes, but about 5 minutes later you're cheering for the hellish shitfest Wick rains down and it doesnt matter anymore. TBH it's the basest of audience manipulation and normally that's stupid. Not in this case - in John Wick it's simple and it puts you square in Wicks corner in lusting for bullet flying revenge.

There's simple and then there's well executed. Wick is one of the truly rare examples of when both happen.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I personally felt that they didn't really need to spend that whole twelve minute scene waterboarding the dog, then beating it tied to a chair, hooking it up to live current, before finally holding it face to face with John Wick so that he could stare directly into the camera's eyes when they finally put a bullet through the back of its little puppy head

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, nailed my hand twice in twenty minutes yesterday with a 3lb hammer at full swing. Pretty sure I have a couple fractures but eh gently caress it, hand still works.
Then....um....grow a pair? WTF is jurassic park is an issue?
Watch John Wick, and get your hand fixed.

14 INCH DICK posted:

I personally felt that they didn't really need to spend that whole twelve minute scene waterboarding the dog, then beating it tied to a chair, hooking it up to live current, before finally holding it face to face with John Wick so that he could stare directly into the camera's eyes when they finally put a bullet through the back of its little puppy head
You're just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
He's talking about Jurassic Bark, an episode of Futurama:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Bark

• Locked thread