Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

One backbencher told the ABC the message being sent to the Prime Minister by some in the Coalition was clear: "No more Muslim men".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jonah Galtberg posted:

One backbencher told the ABC the message being sent to the Prime Minister by some in the Coalition was clear: "No more Muslim men".

Yes, lets separate all the men from their families and leave them in a heavily militarised region that promotes extremism. What could possibly go wrong.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

After the lid was blown on systemic wage fraud known as the "half pay scam" across the 7-Eleven convenience store empire, a new more insidious scam has emerged known as the "cash scam".

discussing variations on the "cash scam" theme.

loving hell, what sleazebags. Glad to hear people are already trying to bust them at least.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How do you test for Christianity? Bible quiz?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Shibboleth.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Give them some bacon?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Greek island of Lesbos is "on the verge of explosion" with the arrival of more than 15,000 mainly Syrian asylum seekers pushing local resources to the limit, the immigration minister says.

:quagmire:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

norp posted:

Give them some bacon?

Pretty much, under the supervision of an appropriately credentialed Inquisitor.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The Christians first position is also incredibly disingenuous because Shiite Muslims are by far the most persecuted group as far as ISIS is concerned. Christians are relatively safe as long as they pay their religious tax and don't rock the boat.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
at least Bill Shorten's soundbite at the end had some compassion to it

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Trade union royal commission delivers Kathy Jackson heads-up

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...227516994990?sv

quote:

Lawyers working for the trade union royal commission personally gave union whistleblower-turned-fraudster Kathy Jackson detailed advance knowledge of the issues to be covered during her appearances at the inquiry, including tips on the topics to prepare and suggestions that she use her time on the stand to ­tackle media critics.

Evidence of the friendly ­approach to Ms Jackson will doubtless be used by Labor to argue that the commission is ­institutionally biased given the less-accommodating treatment given to others, including Bill Shorten.
The opposition is today ­expected to move a motion calling on the Governor-General to dismiss commissioner Dyson Heydon following revelations last month that he had agreed to ­address a Liberal Party event.

A document produced last year by commission legal officer Matthew Ashworth detailing a phone conversation between himself, junior counsel Fiona Roughley and Ms Jackson showed the extent of information provided to Ms Jackson for her own preparation, including narrowing the matters she needed to think about. The note of the conversation conveyed what seemed a cosy tone.
The file note of a phone call — on July 25, 2014 — shows that Ms Roughley and Mr Ashworth informed Ms Jackson that the commission planned to hold a hearing five days later, on July 30. They asked if she were available to attend to continue previous evidence from June 19.
According to Mr Ashworth’s records, Ms Roughley gave Ms Jackson a clear outline of what to prepare and the precise subject to expect counsel assisting, Jeremy Stoljar, to examine.

The file note, which appears on the royal commission website, reads: “Fiona … explained to Kathy that the commission ­intended to hold the hearing and the focus was to be the NHDA. Fiona also said Jeremy expected the hearing would take half the day.”
The conversation with Ms Jackson continued: “Fiona said this was being done for a number of reasons: the commission has since the last hearing obtained additional material relating to the NHDA; the commission intends to hold the hearing as there is a good chance the material will come out in the media shortly; to give Kathy the chance to ­respond to the evidence and to some of the claims being made in the media regarding the NHDA.”
Mr Ashworth’s file records continued: “Kathy indicated that she understood and agreed this was probably a good idea.”

The NHDA, or National Health Development Account, was a union-related fund that had been the subject of media reporting after another union whistleblower and factional foe of Ms Jackson alleged she had rorted the money.

Ms Jackson proceeded to lambaste journalists who had reported on her and singled out a story published in The Age that morning as an example. The file note records that the conversation continued, with Ms Roughley advising Ms Jackson of explicit “matters to prepare for and gave her advice on thinking of specific examples to use in her defence”.
“Fiona then asked Kathy if she recalled being asked after the last hearing (on June 19, 2014) to think about some of the payments made from the NHDA and then told Kathy that she should think about some of those transactions before the hearing on Wednesday. In particular, Fiona told Kathy that she should try and remember some examples of who the cash withdrawals from the NHDA were given to.”

Ms Roughley promised to email a new summons to Ms Jackson and asked Ms Jackson if it could be served at her address. Ms Jackson responded that she would come in to pick it up in person, possibly the following Monday.
In his interim report, Mr Heydon later made no references to Ms Jackson, nor to her role in withdrawing hundreds of thousands of dollars from the NHDA.

The astonishing accommo­dation accorded to Ms Jackson by commission lawyers as they prepared to question her on matters that went to her alleged misappropriation of $250,000 of union member’s money stands in sharp contrast to others in the union movement, and in particular to a prominent target, the Opposition Leader.
In Mr Shorten’s case, there was no personal guidance provided of any kind on how to handle his examination. Six days before the hearing, on Friday, July 3, the commission made available almost 2000 pages of documents to him.

An avalanche of further documents was added on the following Monday, and more over the next two days. On Wednesday, July 8, Mr Shorten took the stand. No ­information had been provided by commission lawyers regarding any particular subject to focus on, or telephone guidance on useful evidence to prepare.

Yesterday, a spokeswoman for the commission said Mr Shorten’s lawyers had received almost all of the documents in advance of his appearance, arranged by topic.

This had enabled him to prepare properly for his ­examination.

She said Ms Jackson had been given notice from June 6, 2014, that the NHDA was a topic of interest to the commission. “This is an example of the commission providing procedural fairness to an affected person,” she said. Ms Jackson later furiously claimed that things had not gone according to her expectations and she had been ambushed on July 30, 2014, when questions rotated around the NHDA. Yet she had been given a clear heads-up by commission staff in the weeks beforehand of what to expect, areas to study and prepare, as well as advice to come up with examples of cash transactions from the union ­account in question.

In a later submission made on her behalf on November 14, 2014, signed by her solicitor, Ms Jackson made it clear she believed a plan had always been in place for her evidence. “Counsel assisting initially foreshadowed a thematic approach to hearings involving Ms Jackson,” the statement said. “That initial plan however was not adhered to … this change in approach gave rise to a degree of unfairness in relation to Ms Jackson.”

On April 11, 2014, Ms Jackson and her partner, Fair Work vice-president Michael Lawler, had met with Mr Stoljar to outline the case against Ms Jackson’s foes at the HSU. On June 13, commission senior associate Amy Southwell emailed Ms Jackson to thank both her and Mr Lawler for their assistance that day. She wished them a “lovely weekend”.
After Ms Jackson had given evidence on June 19, Ms Southwell emailed on July 11, referring to a conversation with Mr Lawler regarding fresh preparations for evidence on the NHDA. “Hi Kathy,” she wrote, “I spoke with Michael a little while ago and he mentioned that he was going to send me further information (a table) in relation to NHDA. Please let me know if you would still like to send any further information.”

In another phone conversation on July 29, 2014, between commission legal officer Mr Ashworth and Mr Lawler, the two men displayed a familiarity as they discussed Ms Jackson’s forthcoming statement that Mr Lawler was working on ahead of her reappearance on the stand. Mr Ashworth’s subsequent file note related: “I told Michael that was fine and that if Jeremy and Fiona wanted to put the statement on as evidence, Kathy may be able to sign it on 30 July, 2014 — and that there was no need to rush and get it done on 29 July, 2014. Michael said that if Jeremy and Fiona did not want any of it, then they could just discard it, or they could cut parts out, or ask Kathy to elaborate on any other parts.”

On the witness stand the next day — July 30, 2014 — Ms Jackson was enraged by what she saw as an unexpected attack by Mr Stoljar that ran against her expectations after conversations with commission staff. “I just want to say to the commissioner that I had no notice that I was going to be attacked today by senior counsel.”
The commission spokeswoman yesterday defended the exceptional support given by the commission to Ms Jackson, saying the commission often identified in advance relevant topics or issues to prospective witnesses. She said giving advance notice of topics or issues might be fairer and more ­efficient in hearings.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It is not uncommon for churches to hold records of births/deaths/baptisms/marriages... It was one method Germany used to determine the 'good' poles from the 'bad'. Whether they do it in Syria, and if Australian immigration can get a hold of them is another question.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Halo14 posted:

Trade union royal commission delivers Kathy Jackson heads-up

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...227516994990?sv

:allears:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tokamak posted:

It is not uncommon for churches to hold records of births/deaths/baptisms/marriages... It was one method Germany used to determine the 'good' poles from the 'bad'. Whether they do it in Syria, and if Australian immigration can get a hold of them is another question.

I think there might be a slight archives gap in certain regions of Syria

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It can be pretty easy (if a huge broad-stroke) to tell heritage (which is linked to belief) based on names.

Doubt that would be rigorous enough for a large scale humanitarian effort though.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
First a message of hope.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2015/s4307975.htm

quote:

MICHAEL BRISSENDEN: Tens of thousands of people across the country have taken part in rallies calling on the Government here to open its heart to Syrian refugees. Candlelight vigils were held in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin and Hobart last night to remember Aylan Kurdi, the three year old Syrian refugee whose lifeless body washed up on a Turkish beach last week. Lindy Kerin was at the Sydney rally and prepared this story.

LINDY KERIN: It was a sombre mood in Sydney's Hyde Park where thousands turned out to deliver a simple message.

GETUP ORGANISER: We should be so proud of ourselves standing here tonight with courage and compassion to say welcome. One… two… three.

CROWD (shouting): Welcome!

We talk about dog whistles a lot in this thread and they certainly have played a role in the ongoing campaign of xenophobia and bigoted fear from both parties over the last couple of decades but who is hearing them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Nation_(Australia)

One nation got a frightening 23% of the vote at one time in Queensland. If those are the people you are energising to move their vote your way then, if power at any cost is your motive, you can understand perhaps why these people are being courted. That was however an anomaly and even at the height of hansomism they couldn't even scrape 10% in main stream Australia. It actually says something quite nasty about JWH and Co. that they were so quick to stop the leaking of hard right support from their hallowed ranks. These votes were never going to go anywhere other than the LNP warchest. It was about maintaining a direct power base that JWH debased the political currency of Australia so effectively. I guess it could be argued that a One Nation faction in parliament could have sided inconveniently with the 'wrong' policies ala Katter but really Katter has held the LNP line religiously when it most mattered.

Hang on you Bozo this was supposed to be a feel good piece. One Nation? WTF?

Well those demonstrations in support of refugees seem to be showing our political masters that pandering to the far right hillbilly faction might come at a more significant cost than any possible gain. The numbers and the impact of their voices is gaining momentum in a way that even bigger numbers against the Iraq War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_the_Iraq_War did not. Watching NTATA backtrack furiously from his dogwhistle infested 'more Syrians but no more overall' to what ever his position is this half hour has made me vicariously happy. The sheer cognitive dissonance that is now being carried around by every mandatory detention STOP THE BOATS loon must be threatening to implode their very vacuous cranial cavities.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-07/tony-abbott-pledges-syrian-refugees-will-get-refuge/6755280

quote:

"When the world is in trouble, Australia responds," *laugh track* Mr Abbott said. "I can inform the House that it is the Government's firm intention to take a significant number of people from Syria this year.*laugh track* We will give people refuge.*laugh track* There will be more money, because we must assist the High Commissioner for Refugees to do its job, *laugh track* as well as can be done in these very difficult circumstances."

We always extend the hand of rape/death camps to those who seek our aid.

I can almost see the creaky gears in the faceless backrooms of the ALP turning as the abacus of power without glory comtemplate for the first time in twenty years throwing the White Australia policy under the bus. Oh my God I let the hope atom in again didn't I? :smith:

Meanwhile in North Australia industry hope news:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-08/opposition-demands-apology-over-proposed-shipping-laws/6756760

quote:

Controversial Flag Acquisition Program Gains Backers By political reporter Melissa Clarke Updated about 2 hours ago

Government officials have announced a new 'Jobs and hope creation' program in far North West Australia. At a press conference in picturesque Wyndam Secretary of the Department of Transport and Infrastructure Mr Mike Mrdak "We need a reliable source of flags for our media conference backdrops and rather than source them direct from overseas manufacturers it was felt that slightly used ones that reflect the true nature of our Australian culture would better service our messaging needs. As a result we have completed a selective competitive tender process that has selected North Star Cruises to re-flag and provide these essential standards to the media rooms in Canberra."

The Coalition has a bill before Parliament to energise the industry, paving the way for many more Australian flags to be brought home to Canberra. There were some reports that the flags were going to be dipped in some sort of blood like solution on their way to the press conference sites. Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Informer X's account was "just not true" and Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss told Parliament it was "inaccurate. I have spoken to the secretary of my department who has assured me that the comments ... are inaccurate and do not reflect accurately the words of the conversation entered into by the staff member concerned," Mr Truss said in Question Time.

But the government officials, Judi Zilkie and Michael Sutton from the Department of Infrastructure, have admitted the issue was raised with Informer X. Asked in the same parliamentary hearing if she "discussed with him [Informer X] the option of dipping in blood", Ms Zilkie replied: "Yes." But she said while they "did talk about the various options" she denies she "provided advice that he should take that action. It is the Department's firm belief that digger blood, whether real or from a sustainable alternative, should not be put on Australian flags just for the sake of media appearances".

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

norp posted:

Give them some bacon?

I'm pretty sure Allah is cool with eating haram stuff if your life is at risk, or if it's involuntary.

Which is one of the many reasons the whole pork blood/bullets thing is so stupid.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 8, 2015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

it's obvious what they have to do re: flags isn't it?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Peter Dutton is the pile of goo where your best friend's face used to be.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I'm pretty sure Allah is cool with eating haram stuff if your life is at risk, or if it's involuntary.

Which is one of the many reasons the whole pork blood/bullets thing is so stupid.

Yep.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiya

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Peter Dutton is the pile of goo where your best friend's face used to be.

:golfclap:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Problem: No Labour available for remote projects, hampering foreign investment

Solution 1: Allow foreign companies to import labor and pay them $4/hour, wreaking havoc on the labor market and, in turn, the consumer economy

Solution 2: Increase immigration, build a strong workforce of tax-paying citizens, simultaneously addressing the demographic problems faced by an ageing nation.

Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmmm which one?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Which one is less of a threat to your position at the top?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anidav posted:

I like how Shorten has gone without a chief of staff for two weeks and nobody has noticed.

He's found someone!

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-names-cameron-milner-as-his-new-chief-of-staff-20150907-gjhayz.html

quote:

Mr Milner served as state secretary in Queensland between 2000 and 2004. More recently he directed his lobby firm Milner Strategic Services & Next Level Holdings, which is co-owned by former Liberal staffer David Moore and is providing advice on the controversial Adani Carmichael coal project.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011
"Christians are the most persecuted people in the world"

What the gently caress is Cory smoking?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Having a persecution complex means you're persecuted, right?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Systematic posted:

He's talking about Christians in the Middle East.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

What if a Muslim said they were Christian?

Then we'd fall back on the brown-ness test and exclude them to be on the safe side.

Also, good to see Australia copying Hungary, one of the most racist vile countries in Europe which has the distinction of beating nazi Germany to introducing anti-semitic laws in the early 20th century. We're in good company.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Cory Bernadi accuses Greens of "emotion".

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Unimpressed posted:

Then we'd fall back on the brown-ness test and exclude them to be on the safe side.

Also, good to see Australia copying Hungary, one of the most racist vile countries in Europe which has the distinction of beating nazi Germany to introducing anti-semitic laws in the early 20th century. We're in good company.

I think they copied us.

My Hungarian grandparents left the old country to escape the Soviets. Australia gave them a home and opportunities and because of this they regained their security and wealth. Now guess what their opinions on refugees are? :cripes:

Some people are just broken.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Hahaha, we're all hosed.

"I believe...IN COAL"

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Systematic posted:

Didn't you know that it is persecution to roll back entrenched christian privilege. This is why it is persecuting christians when you make it so that they can't discriminate based on race, gender, or sexual orientation. It is also why it is persecution when you let others have a say, or when you teach fact instead of religion, or when you let people opt out of (christian) religious education in public schools, or when you choose not to open a proceeding with a christian prayer because non-christians may be present, etc.

In this light, taking away so many things that they have taken for granted, they claim that they are the most persecuted.

Fortunately, most everyone else just sees them as a pack of privileged crybabies having a sook.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jumpingmanjim posted:

After the lid was blown on systemic wage fraud known as the "half pay scam" across the 7-Eleven convenience store empire, a new more insidious scam has emerged known as the "cash scam".

When I was a young man, I worked many retail jobs to put myself through uni. Half a dozen different servos, waiting, even working at a lumberyard. In that time I saw just about every manner of scummy tactic by employers. In fact, I thought I had seen it all and considered myself jaded as hell.

But this pay 'protection racket' is not only new to me, it drat near stunned me it's so disgusting.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
In some countries Christians are legit persecuted like any other group you care to mention. In the west with the rise of secular rights 'Christian persecution' has been adopted as the argument against 'you won't let me discriminate against others on the basis of my beliefs'.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Persecution of Christian minorities is actually a thing in many parts of the world, where Christians do not enjoy the privileged position they have in the anglosphere.

People are somehow upset by a Christian person using their position to advocate on behalf of other Christians who are in need of assistance. What they should be upset about is whether that actually translates into official discrimination against non Christian refugees. Given that non Christian groups are also capable of advocacy I doubt it.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 8, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

Persecution of White minorities is actually a thing in many parts of the world, where Whites do not enjoy the privileged position they have in the anglosphere.

People are somehow upset by a White person using their position to advocate on behalf of other White people who are in need of assistance. What they should be upset about is whether that actually translates into discrimination against non-White refugees. Given that non-White groups are also capable of advocacy I doubt it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Negligent posted:

Persecution of Christian minorities is actually a thing in many parts of the world, where Christians do not enjoy the privileged position they have in the anglosphere.

People are somehow upset by a Christian person using their position to advocate on behalf of other Christians who are in need of assistance. What they should be upset about is whether that actually translates into official discrimination against non Christian refugees. Given that non Christian groups are also capable of advocacy I doubt it.

Hahaha you're loving kidding me

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you ever met a Korean, Chinese, Syraic or other non white Christian I guess you would be super confused, since being Christian is not interchangeable with being white.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 8, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think you're missing the point. Someone saying that we should provide more or less assistance based on the kind of person, whether Christian or White or whatever, rather than the amount of need, is contemptible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

I think you're missing the point. Someone saying that we should provide more or less assistance based on the kind of person, whether Christian or White or whatever, rather than the amount of need, is contemptible.

Oh, so NOW you liberals are all about need rather than discriminatory quotas :rolleyes:

• Locked thread