Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Hopper posted:

It just reeks of casual .

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I'm not even going to insult you. You are doing a drat fine job of it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nrr posted:

Heads up, the alpha was actually fun and this hasn't even hit beta yet, so there's a very good chance that this game is actually not a complete dumpster fire. but even if it is, do you know what its going to be better than? reading pages and pages of you nerds' aggressive overreacting and hard done by bullshit while you piss and moan about something that's probably going to be completely different to what you're made up bullshit ideas are.

toodles

Game is actually going to be bad

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I'm not even going to insult you. You are doing a drat fine job of it yourself.

What do you call a game that has such stunning features as a zoom function without accuracy benefit, or a ducking one, which does not either? And the amazingly shallow flight mechanics we saw in the closed beta? And apparently lacks class or even squad system?

If you have a better word than "causal game" for this please share your wisdom.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Cmon guys why would you doubt this game. I mean, hardline, battlefield 4, and battlefield 3 were all great on release. This is dice we are talking about people- they're known for their solid ideas and great approach to game balance. We all remember how awesome and popular the hardline beta was, and that turned out to be a great game. So many of us are still playing it. No reason to doubt battlefront 3. Preorder now and keep your eyes open for slim jim battlepacks!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dogstile posted:

Look at this nerd posting on a games forum calling other people nerds.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hopper posted:

What do you call a game that has such stunning features as a zoom function without accuracy benefit, or a ducking one, which does not either? And the amazingly shallow flight mechanics we saw in the closed beta? And apparently lacks class or even squad system?

If you have a better word than "causal game" for this please share your wisdom.

Not a Battlefield game? I mean, you pretty much described UT2004 with that list.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Not a Battlefield game? I mean, you pretty much described UT2004 with that list.

The key is UT2004. Nostalgia is not a reason modern games should not be better.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It's not a battlefield game

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
These things are not just a thing in Battlefield.

:siren: Car analogy :siren: If I tried to sell you a car without aircon and you said "why does it not have aircon?" and I answered "It's not a Ford" I don't think you would accept that, seeing as many other car brands also have aircon.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Hopper posted:

These things are not just a thing in Battlefield.

:siren: Car analogy :siren: If I tried to sell you a car without aircon and you said "why does it not have aircon?" and I answered "It's not a Ford" I don't think you would accept that, seeing as many other car brands also have aircon.

I wouldn't accept it? I'd just not buy the car

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol this thread owns

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Duggler posted:

Which is hopefully what people who are dissatisfied with missing features do with Battlefront 3. But I doubt it, and I won't even bother quoting that "boycott Call of Duty" Steam group picture.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is anyone actually boycotting this game or judt saying it looks like a dumb piece of poo poo

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Alpha was fun, if beta is fun too I'll probably seriously consider buying it

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Why does not buying poo poo have to be boycotting? I don't eat liberals, its not that i'm boycotting them, I just prefer something that has a little muscle in its meat.

I'm trying to avoid car analogys ok leave me alone

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The Duggler posted:

I mean accept the argument. "It is not a Battelfield game" is not a valid argument in reference to flaws that are standard in games of similar genre (e.g. having a server browser)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Battlefront sounds like a bad game from everything DICE has said about it so far.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Eonwe posted:

is anyone actually boycotting this game or judt saying it looks like a dumb piece of poo poo

dogstile posted:

Why does not buying poo poo have to be boycotting?

Oh no I didn't mean to suggest there was a boycott, not at all. I just think/hope PC gamers will be the lowest percentage of players when it gets released, and maybe EA realizes they shouldn't treat us like garbage. :colbert:

edit: and by "us" I mean PC gamers and gamers in general as well, with micro-transactions for in-game advantages and no dedicated servers being the biggest culprits.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 8, 2015

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite thing about this game is pubbies in BF4 are praising it before it even comes out

"I cant wait for DICE to have DEIDICATED SERVERS for battlefront!"

"THIS GAME IS SO UNBALANCED CANT WAIT FOR STAR WARS"

"loving SNIPING ISNT ONE HIT KILL UNLIKE STAR WARS"

it brings joy to my soul when I tell them there is no way DICE is going to have dedicated servers when they can just do peer to peer connections since there is no more server browser

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

It will have dedicated servers, no way peer to peer would work for 40 players. It's just you have no idea which dedicated server you;re gonna be on until you're there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It will have dedicated servers, no way peer to peer would work for 40 players. It's just you have no idea which dedicated server you;re gonna be on until you're there.

yes that's what people mean by 'dedicated servers'

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nrr posted:

Heads up, the alpha was actually fun and this hasn't even hit beta yet, so there's a very good chance that this game is actually not a complete dumpster fire. but even if it is, do you know what its going to be better than? reading pages and pages of you nerds' aggressive overreacting and hard done by bullshit while you piss and moan about something that's probably going to be completely different to what you're made up bullshit ideas are.

toodles

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

icantfindaname posted:

yes that's what people mean by 'dedicated servers'

Technically he's right, a dedi server is anything that isn't a listen server / local server.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nrr posted:

this hasn't even hit beta yet,

Well duh, November 20th is still more than 2 months away

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

It is a shoot mans game, if you have fun shooting mans in the game great if you don't then do not buy it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BadLlama posted:

It is a shoot mans game, if you have fun shooting mans in the game great if you don't then do not buy it?

Yes I think that is exactly what people are saying. They are saying do not buy it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a lot of fun shooting mans in this game. I hope you guys do too!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

Was anyone advocating something different or

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hopper posted:

The key is UT2004. Nostalgia is not a reason modern games should not be better.

This is stupid. UT2K4 is one of the shooter pinnacles.

A recoil/movement based accuracy system isn't the only way to handle a shooter. Things like UT and Q3 remain some of the highest skill ceilinged shooters and have none of these accuracy mechanics. We've gone from a "manage your movemement to manage your aim" type game to one thats heavily about managing your movement in order to throw the other persons aim off.

This works because star wars weapons are crap. They cycle slowly, the blaster bolts move slowly, which means it's significantly harder to actually land a shot at range than in a BField game even without factoring in recoil and movement effects. It also leads to a completely different style of play.

In BF you might, you know, hide in a corner, get an angle, and murder someone with accurate fire when they expose themselves and they don't get to fire back. If two people encounter each other head on it's a really quick thing where someone dies fast and ugly. That's cool, it feels appropriate for a modern, military shooter

In Front, if you ambush someone, they might well spot your blasts sailing past them, or because it's still a good few hits to take them down and the bullets go slow they'll have a chance to react and turn the tables regardless. If two people encounter each other head on it gets drawn out into a little duel, both of you scrabbling for a better position and duking it out for a little bit. This is also cool, it feels heroic and appropriate for a star wars game.

Personally, It certainly made me pretty fuckin happy to have a shooter where fights were drawn out and you could kind of see the playstyle of the person you were duelling in a fight, which isn't something I've felt in years of "click heads man dies" Field type games. The lack of penalties for movement, and the fact that getting caught in the open isn't instant death encourages people to, you know, move, and I like that. I like how fluid and mobile the fights felt, although it's not exactly fuckin tribes in that regard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm probably misreading this but the accuracy and damage model for battlefront sounds a lot like BFBC2. Someone please correct me.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
This gonna be a good game?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No.

But a lot of us here will burn up 100+ hours in the first month on it anyways, because this is the best Star Wars game we'll get for a while.

:dice:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zeike posted:

its going to be a absolutely bog standard, CoD-ified console shooter with star wars poo poo plastered everywhere. no more, no less. if you're in the habit of spending $60 for such games, buy it, otherwise don't

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hadlock posted:

No.

But a lot of us here will burn up 100+ hours in the first month on it anyways, because this is the best Star Wars game we'll get for a while.

:dice:

The last good Star Wars game to come out was ironically Battlefront 2 and it will continue to remain so.

Think about it, in the last 10 years we've gotten

Empire at War: ehh decent RTS
Force Unleashed: ehh decent beat em up
Force Unleashed 2: hot garbage
The Old Republic: generic MMO
Star Wars Kinect: lol

I miss Factor 5 and pre-garbage Bioware.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zeike posted:

If you like videogames, probably.

if you play games on a computer and get mad that games dont cater to your specific desires for hyper realism in a fantasy space shooter game, then probably not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

If you like videogames, probably.

if you play games on a computer and get mad that games dont cater to your specific desires for hyper realism in a fantasy space shooter game, then probably not.

Lol

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Laserface posted:

Slimy marketing deception, micro-transactions up the rear end, and no dedicated servers=hyper realism

icantfindaname posted:

its going to be a absolutely bog standard, CoD-ified console shooter with star wars poo poo plastered everywhere. no more, no less. if you're in the habit of spending $60 for such games, buy it, otherwise don't

This guy knows what's up, listen to him.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The last good Star Wars game to come out was ironically Battlefront 2 and it will continue to remain so.

Think about it, in the last 10 years we've gotten

Empire at War: ehh decent RTS
Force Unleashed: ehh decent beat em up
Force Unleashed 2: hot garbage
The Old Republic: generic MMO
Star Wars Kinect: lol

I miss Factor 5 and pre-garbage Bioware.

Don't forget Republic Commando and Lego Star Wars :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

canyoneer posted:

Don't forget Republic Commando and Lego Star Wars :v:

Lego Star Wars I'll agree but Republic Commando came out before Battlefront 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
They've announced a new game mode, Drop Zone , tear it to pieces, goons.

• Locked thread