Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

I cannot tell Tobuscus and Markiplier apart. Which one monetized a video of him crying over Robin Williams death?

It's already been answered which is which, but Markiplier is also generally a pretty good guy. He's really nice and legitimately cares about people and his fans. Like, the only problem anyone here really has with him is that his videos copy too much of the generic YouTube LPer "Scream and talk really loudly and use a lot of funny voices."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Golden Goat posted:

It's him finding out where Shantae's game is specifically set by going way, way to far into belly dancing styles.

Well, he didn't need to do that because I'm pretty sure the instruction manual says it's set in Sequin Land.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Game Theory can be interesting for delving into story elements that you overlooked, or learning a little bit about some science poo poo. The video titles are garbage and the editing in unforgivable though, where every loving word that comes out of his mouth needs an associated picture put on screen that he snagged from Google. But the actual concept of "Hey, here's a thing you missed in these games" or "Hey, let's talk about something in the real world related to this game" can be neat.

The Gaijin Goomba guy. Again, it can be interesting to learn about these cultural influences in games that are missed by western audiences. He just ruins it with this creepy little pitch-shifted character, and sometimes he gets obsessive and weird, especially when talking about Japanese stuff.

They're both OK concepts, just ruined by execution. There's also some other dude who does videos on that channel like once a year and his stuff isn't too bad because I think that might be actual game theory stuff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like Pop Fiction for doing what Game Theory does better.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's already been answered which is which, but Markiplier is also generally a pretty good guy.

I'm sure he's grand in person, same goes for almost any YT star. Doesn't make some of the terrible choices he made go away though.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I'm sure he's grand in person, same goes for almost any YT star. Doesn't make some of the terrible choices he made go away though.

What terrible choices? The only problems with his videos boil down to style. He's not making them for you and that's okay.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

What terrible choices? The only problems with his videos boil down to style. He's not making them for you and that's okay.

No wait i'm getting them mixed up again aren't I.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

No wait i'm getting them mixed up again aren't I.

Yeah, Markiplier hasn't done anything bad. Some Tumblr fans had a freakout when he dressed up in a dress (and another instance in intentionally bad makeup) because they thought it was "transphobic". It wasn't (he wasn't actually making fun of men wearing dresses or makeup, the joke with the makeup was just how ugly he looked by applying it badly, etc.), they were just a bunch of stupid teenagers. Outside of that quibble he's been a completely normal and nice guy.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

chitoryu12 posted:

Outside of that quibble he's been a completely normal and nice guy.

Literally the only good thing anyone has to say about markiplier is that he's a nice guy, which on the internet is apparently exceptional.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dreezy posted:

Literally the only good thing anyone has to say about markiplier is that he's a nice guy, which on the internet is apparently exceptional.

Hey, in a world of TotalBiscuits, PDPs, Tobuscuses, DSPs, etc, that's already a big accomplishment. But really, we're not his target audience and by not being an rear end in a top hat it's easier to accept that.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I guess nice guys finish last :(

Also did someone mention pdp getting 10 billion views on YouTube because that's impressive/crazy. That's a handful of Gangnam Styles.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

sout posted:

Also did someone mention pdp getting 10 billion views on YouTube because that's impressive/crazy. That's a handful of Gangnam Styles.

Gagnam Style is currently at 2.5 billion, so PDP is 4 times more popular than that song. That's definitely the most views a video has. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Actually I heard Markiplier was a huuuuge piece of poo poo in real life. Like, he slam dunks on kids with cancer and all his political views are wrong. He also was friends with Mussolini, a famous dictator in the second World War and does crossfit, the incorrect exercise regimen.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The only thing I know about these game theory videos is that Extra Credits made this video about how to play video games and somehow manages to be wrong in every single sentences he says over the course of seven minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

Actually I heard Markiplier was a huuuuge piece of poo poo in real life. Like, he slam dunks on kids with cancer and all his political views are wrong. He also was friends with Mussolini, a famous dictator in the second World War and does crossfit, the incorrect exercise regimen.

Crossfit is gross. I knew Markiplier was a shithead.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Golden Goat posted:

Crossfit is gross. I knew Markiplier was a shithead.

True but I can appreciate not holding back against some kid who thinks he can mess around on the b ball court and not get dunked on

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

inthesto posted:

The only thing I know about these game theory videos is that Extra Credits made this video about how to play video games and somehow manages to be wrong in every single sentences he says over the course of seven minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31OSVZF77w

Just watched that video most of the way through and I am not seeing "wrong in every single sentences he says".
Can you point out some of the incorrectness. I am interested in understanding things and people keep saying this or that is just wrong without giving any hint as to what is right.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It seems pretty sensible to me too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It's only completely wrong if you disagree with the idea the video tries to get across.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Major_JF posted:

Just watched that video most of the way through and I am not seeing "wrong in every single sentences he says".
Can you point out some of the incorrectness. I am interested in understanding things and people keep saying this or that is just wrong without giving any hint as to what is right.

He basically describes the same concept twice, and once he praises it, then criticizes it. In the latter case he talks about "perfect symmetry" of games like chess. In the other he talks about "meta game of multiplayer vidya". But in both cases the described phenomenon is the same: As players progress, they, through research and analysis, uncover optimal maxims for decision making, or if you will - path dependent equilibria. In both cases gameplay becomes more mechanical the more familiarized players are with standard forms of play, the main difference being that video games leave a greater amount of space for upset on account of being less deliberate than chess, but the difference is quantitative, not qualitative. As a result, in games with no apparent symmetry, symmetry arises among people who take "meta game" seriously because aspects of a game that lead to suboptimal outcomes are de facto eliminated by virtue of not being utiized by skilled players.

The key difference that keeps players constantly guessing in some games and reconfiguring preferred strategies seemingly with no perfect one in sigh isn't in "perfect / imperfect (im)balance", because any imbalance that isn't enforced will correct itself, it's in the fact that some games change through updates, patches etc., while games like old StarCraft or, in an extreme case, chess, remain stable for years, or even centuries, and so after a while there's nowhere else to go, nothing to refine within reasonable limits of what a person can memorize.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Crosspeice posted:

Gagnam Style is currently at 2.5 billion, so PDP is 4 times more popular than that song. That's definitely the most views a video has. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

That's not 10 billion views on one video, that's 10 billion views on every video added together.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well yeah, the most watched PDP video is 66 million views, so at least he isn't at the lofty heights of Gagnam Style. Though, just for cool trivia, psy has 4.7 billion views on his channel, Gangnam Style accounts for half of it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Crosspeice posted:

Well yeah, the most watched PDP video is 66 million views, so at least he isn't at the lofty heights of Gagnam Style. Though, just for cool trivia, psy has 4.7 billion views on his channel, Gangnam Style accounts for half of it.

He does have an oddly low view to subscriber count on most of his videos, which means some people are just watching a couple videos over and over again every day.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think that's because everyone mentions they "grow out of" Pewdiepie but never really mention anyone else. You really don't see people say they grow out of the Game Grumps. Most people just never really go through and get rid of subscriptions unless the person spams your list with 10 videos a day.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I like Pop Fiction for doing what Game Theory does better.

Too bad Game Trailers downsized so hard no Pop Fiction or Timeline is ever coming out again. (I think they laid off the writer/researcher for those)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

bobjr posted:

I think that's because everyone mentions they "grow out of" Pewdiepie but never really mention anyone else. You really don't see people say they grow out of the Game Grumps. Most people just never really go through and get rid of subscriptions unless the person spams your list with 10 videos a day.

How many subscribers does DSP have, again?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

dreezy posted:

I'll say this about the guy, his production values are outstanding. He records in a small soundproof studio with a high-end consumer microphone and has some sort of special lighting setup for his camera as well. He knows when his videos are getting repetitive or boring so he'll edit the less interesting parts out or make a quick highlight reel out of them. For all the criticism he gets for putting on some fake pastiche he also clearly cares about what he's doing. When he puts out videos on games he really likes such as Five Nights at Freddy's he doesn't half-rear end them. He goes the whole nine yards to make sure he covers all the content there is to be found within that game in a well-organized manner.

That's in contrast to PewDiePie, who has really poor production values (sits too close to the microphone, bad lighting with a bad camera to boot) and routinely makes videos about high-profile games he (self-admittedly) doesn't care about and thinks are boring just to rake in the name recognition dollars.

I'm not a fan of Markiplier but I respect his hustle and overal competence at what he does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fun Fact: Markiplier records a lot of his videos in the same office/recording studio as the Game Grumps do theirs, they are very good friends! Speaking of, I was very surprised to find out that Arin is behind almost all of the technological side of Game Grumps (setting up the electrical stuff, positioning the audio equipment and doing the equalization, etc), according to Barry he's very good at that kind of stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's pretty cool. Does Mark must have a separate job focused in media production or anything?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

I unsubscribed from Game Grumps. I realized I just was not enjoying their videos anymore and was starting to compare Arin to DSP. At least DSP finishes his games.

I started checking out some of their videos again recently, and I noticed a lot of similar backlash coming up in the comments section (but not really reflected in the likes/dislikes). I also noticed that, it looks like they are trying to be more focused as of late, with a handful of games going at the same time that all appear to be in it for the long run, instead of one-offs or a few episodes and then never seen again, so maybe they are listening to their audience on at least one thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The DSP comparison is appropriate as hell. Sonic Adventure is a wonky game that hasn't aged well but it's amazing seeing someone gently caress things up more than an 8 year old. Same with Mario Galaxy at times.
You're not missing out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mostly watch Game Grumps because I like listening to Dan and Arin chill out together, but I can't watch Sonic Adventure because the instant poo poo talking of the game made me roll my eyes and click away. I never understood why people are so goddamn eager to point out that Sonic Adventure and its sequel are not as good as you thought they were as a kid. It's possibly the least consequential thing that could ever be talked about by a human being, and yet any time somebody brings up those games anywhere on the internet people fall all over themselves to talk about how it's a bad game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I mostly watch Game Grumps because I like listening to Dan and Arin chill out together

This is the appeal. It's not about the games at all. It's about people just bullshitting and telling stories and the game is completely inconsequential. So I never understood why they are a gaming channel and not vlog or podcast.

I do understand. It's because those options would not get them as many views.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Liking Sonic is uncool nowadays so you've gotta distance yourself from it.
Arin just has a crazy vendetta against the series though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Jamesman posted:

I do understand. It's because those options would not get them as many views dollars.
Fixed it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I mostly watch Game Grumps because I like listening to Dan and Arin chill out together, but I can't watch Sonic Adventure because the instant poo poo talking of the game made me roll my eyes and click away. I never understood why people are so goddamn eager to point out that Sonic Adventure and its sequel are not as good as you thought they were as a kid. It's possibly the least consequential thing that could ever be talked about by a human being, and yet any time somebody brings up those games anywhere on the internet people fall all over themselves to talk about how it's a bad game.

People like tearing into bad games, Sonic Adventure isn't really a special case here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not with nearly the same level of unnecessary animosity. Who gives a drat, just play the game or don't.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Jamesman posted:

This is the appeal. It's not about the games at all. It's about people just bullshitting and telling stories and the game is completely inconsequential. So I never understood why they are a gaming channel and not vlog or podcast.

I do understand. It's because those options would not get them as many views.

I'm pretty sure I've said this here before, but I've never been able to get into podcasts as *just* listening to people talking can't really hold my attention, so I like stuff like game grumps that has like a 70/30 split on the emphasis between them and the game :shobon:

also arin's spite-hate rules

Monicro fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Listening to the first Sonic Adventure video i'm not getting a crazy hatred feeling of the game from them.

They're making fun of the cutscenes which is grand. They're getting weird glitches which are pretty funny.

Do they just go mental later on in the videos or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Golden Goat posted:

Listening to the first Sonic Adventure video i'm not getting a crazy hatred feeling of the game from them.

They're making fun of the cutscenes which is grand. They're getting weird glitches which are pretty funny.

Do they just go mental later on in the videos or something?

I wasn't talking about just them, I meant in general. I can't watch people play Sonic Adventure because there's always that moment where they're like "haha but really this game is nowhere near as good as you thought it was before now viewer" and it's like but who gives a poo poo. I don't need someone to go out of their way to try and prove to me that a game I did or didn't like is bad.

• Locked thread