Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

I don't think preferencing Christian Syrian refugees would be a poll positive in the general populace. It might even lose them votes since a majority of people aren't Christian.

It is a policy for the Liberal Party Right. And the Liberal party has never concealed espousing Christian beliefs. They do so openly, and sometimes to great mirth of their detractors.

It has very little to do with getting christian votes, but everything to do with appeasing racists. Australians hate muslims more than they'll point and laugh at Abbott or Bernardi's christianity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tasmantor posted:

Sadly, as you pointed out, the law where written by people who got their gun knowledge from Arnie films and didn't really consult with people who knew what they were on about.

That's the most bizarre thing, he had a lever action shotgun on every Terminator 2 poster.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

what the gently caress posted:

The video that accompanied that article was really hard to watch.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/pm-embarrassed-by-bureaucrats-sack-the-aussie-workers-advice-admission/story-fnkgde2y-1227517258644

Also, in semi-related news... Remember the Alexander Spirit (tanker in tasmania with crew being sold out to foreign labour?)

Yeah well that ship has just returned to the Australian coast, crewed with foreign labour.

gently caress this government into the ground.

Holy loving poo poo that loving video.

EDIT: If Aussies don't want to be on chain gangs, we need foreign employment.

:catstare:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I nearly downloaded twitter just to hurl abuse at those, um, people on that panel. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Just on that Alexander Spirit thing again, it seems as if it is almost a deliberate antagonising act by *Caltex to bring the Alexander Spirit back into Australia to rub salt into the wounds of the MUA and the workers that got sacked.., considering how many other tankers they have in their fleet, and also considering that the run the Alexander Spirit was doing has already been replaced by 3 other foreign ships. Just a big ol' slap in the face, and a big oil company thumbing their noses at Australian workers, especially on the back of that news.com.au video in the article above.
The world is falling apart.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 8, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

open24hours posted:

From what I understand, which isn't much, the gun in question isn't anything special, it's just that for some reason you can buy this one with a less restricted class of gun license than you need to buy similar ones.

Can anyone who knows more about this kind of thing explain which loophole is being exploited?

[edit:

What a terribly written law.]

Noice. I've got a Class A firearms licence, gonna go buy me a few Adler shotguns.

For um, home defense.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

GoldStandardConure posted:

Noice. I've got a Class A firearms licence, gonna go buy me a few Adler shotguns.

For um, home defense.

Not a "genuine reason" I'm afraid (to be fair to the law it really isn't) but if you need it for say "animal welfare" the go right ahead!

open24hours posted:

That's the most bizarre thing, he had a lever action shotgun on every Terminator 2 poster.
Touche

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I applaud the Abutt government for being all adult and responsible and for taking the time to consider and deliberate over how to do our fair share in helping with the refugee crisis. I can only assume they will take even more time and careful deliberation before deciding to bomb another country.

Oh dear...

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/sep/08/tony-abbott-to-confirm-syrian-airstrikes-as-pressure-grows-over-refugees

e: and to the generous soul who bought me a new Quran av, thank you. I hope you are as suitably educated about how wonderful the Bible is.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 8, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solemn Sloth posted:

Leyonhjelm has said he “blackmailed” the government into allowing imports of the weapon, which is capable of firing seven shots in succession, but is not technically considered a semi-automatic, and therefore banned, gun.

In exchange, the libertarian senator voted against a Labor amendment requiring an adult or guardian be present when blood, saliva or fingerprints are taken from children by the Australia’s Border Force.

Quoting this again because what the gently caress.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It's kind of brazen to claim this kind of victory when all that means is that no one can take your word on anything ever after. And that's how I feel about Muir's vote on Heydon: whether or not you think it was a vote that had any teeth, it was still a statement (and a rare one) of principle in an area largely governed by convention and if you want to change that convention you actually need votes like this to at least hold the executive to account in the public record. The next time they try it, there'll be less pressure to fight it. It's not often that these kinds of votes get tried twice. So Muir's "principles" are a load of bullshit when it suits him.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

It's kind of brazen to claim this kind of victory when all that means is that no one can take your word on anything ever after. And that's how I feel about Muir's vote on Heydon: whether or not you think it was a vote that had any teeth, it was still a statement (and a rare one) of principle in an area largely governed by convention and if you want to change that convention you actually need votes like this to at least hold the executive to account in the public record. The next time they try it, there'll be less pressure to fight it. It's not often that these kinds of votes get tried twice. So Muir's "principles" are a load of bullshit when it suits him.
Actually can you tease this out for me. I would have thought that Muir may have been acting from the principle of separation of powers and not allowing a judicial officer to be interfered with by the parliament of the day. The executive ultimately could dismiss him and if the executive are prepared to accept a perception of bias tainting whole the proceedings then so be it. This is I believe the law council's opinion/advice.

And lets face it this utter wreckage of a government doesn't need this particular debacle to pin it to obscurity. The whole lied to parliament about the shipping fiasco, Abbott and Truss, is just from today's crop of croppers. This mob are too dire for this royal commission to be a central issue about anything.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can the Australian people in turn request the Syrian Arab Air Force to bomb parliament? I mean, JDAMs can hit specific office windows these days.

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>

QUACKTASTIC posted:

He's protecting our second amendment obviously.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Glad to hear some (pretty) good news mate!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Actually can you tease this out for me. I would have thought that Muir may have been acting from the principle of separation of powers and not allowing a judicial officer to be interfered with by the parliament of the day. The executive ultimately could dismiss him and if the executive are prepared to accept a perception of bias tainting whole the proceedings then so be it. This is I believe the law council's opinion/advice.

Its a legalistic copout IMHO. I accept there's a can of worms around the issues of the executive and convention, but RC's don't appear from nowhere, they're an extension of Parliament in legal form (effectively a version of the High Court) but still an extension via the convention of executive power. If there's an issue with the use of that power, it's still an issue of Parliamentary convention aside from the powers that RC's and their Commissioners have, and nothing to do with the fact that the Commissioner has judicial powers. The whole point of getting retired judges to be Commissioners in the first place is to allay fears of executive witch hunt as much as legal expertise and Heydon has just trampled all over that. Additionally, no separation of powers argument holds much weight against failure to recuse oneself, we're once again back to arguments about convention. A High Court challenge, as unlikely as that is, would put them in a real spot, they loathe touching conventional matters and would most likely kick it back anyway. So that leaves the Senate and the House to check the executive power.

The power to make Royal Commissions was an early Act but the Governor-General's part is really just a rubber-stamp; although they do have powers to make regulations, in practice I've never heard of it and like most things G-G seems to rest on the hope that convention will keep things ticking over. Read the Act and you'll see that the powers are pretty unambiguous but oversight over how that power is given and taken is so thin you could make a dozen pancakes from it. I've never heard of a G-G refusing an RC because it was a clear waste of time, for instance. Given the latitude the language suggests, a G-G should be able to halt RC's or demand a reconvention but mysteriously they only get to make unheard-of regulations and rubber-stamp what the PM directs.

Normally this isn't a problem because Royal Commissions aren't supposed to be partisan exercises or at the very least you have a fig-leaf with a reputable Commissioner (the pink batts enquiry comes to mind here). But now it is a problem. So my point remains: it's not about this being the battle that will sink the government, but it's still a reckless misuse of executive power that should never go unchallenged and on top of that, it damages the judiciary in a way they can't defend against. The Senate is supposed to uphold that, and its failed.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

sick trigger posted:

fact check infographic on australia's refugee intake

Wow, the World's "just do enough" challenge is really going to make a dent in that 59 odd million. What will the number be up to by the time we select our healthy, educated Christians?

If I used facebook I would give that a like.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

this is really fantastic news Tithin

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cartoon posted:

I reckon Muir's simply the type who idolises ex-military types and who's more ex-military than our glorious GG? So Muir, being a decent fellow, figures this puts Sir General Governor General in a bind and spares him the blushes.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

open24hours posted:

From what I understand, which isn't much, the gun in question isn't anything special, it's just that for some reason you can buy this one with a less restricted class of gun license than you need to buy similar ones.

Can anyone who knows more about this kind of thing explain which loophole is being exploited?

[edit:

What a terribly written law.]

What I don't understand is why this is an issue now, when there's been 1887 remakes on the market for a 100 years?
I suppose another important factor is just because you have a license and a gun is in a certain category does not mean you will just go and buy it. You have to have the permit approved and the authority will happily sit on it for a long time if they don't want you to have it and make you go to court to prove why you should be allowed to own xyz.

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

Fantastic news!
Edit: Wait are they closing the the day care, isn't that also a big part of it?

Nautilus42 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 8, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's good news in some way, but sad that the child care will be shut down

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

what the gently caress posted:

The video that accompanied that article was really hard to watch.
I thought it was going to be horribly awkward clips from the hearing or something, not... that

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I thought it was going to be horribly awkward clips from the hearing or something, not... that

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Yeah I mean going by the article I expected the video to just be like a news clip about it, it started out fine then after about 5 seconds just went into an apocalyptic tailspin into totally incomprehensible :suicide:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It has very little to do with getting christian votes, but everything to do with appeasing racists. Australians hate muslims more than they'll point and laugh at Abbott or Bernardi's christianity.
I think you are giving the Liberal party too much credit. They aren't electoral geniuses nor do this lot have Howard's spidey sense for a wedge issue.

We're talking about the likes of Eric "“Christians are the most persecuted group in the world" Abetz here, not known for having their finger on the pulse of the electorate. This is the same group of people who are so out of touch with popular opinion they are anti gay marriage.

If hosting Christian Syrians is less threatening than Muslim Syrians to Joe Bogan then it's a happy coincidence rather than anything poll-based.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

that sure was a thing

"If aussies don't want to be picking fruit, if they don't want to be on chain gangs, then we need foreigners"

"It's not the first time Australia has used foreign workers"

These 3 are loving morons, they just poo poo words out of their mouth and then seconds later utterly contradict themselves. They could be cabinet ministers if not for their obvious disability.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 8, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Maybe you're right, and it's not poll-based. But it seems like a fairly obvious reactionary stance to take as damage control when a lot of rhetoric about refugees is centred around their being predominantly muslim. It's basically a re-run of Beautiful Balts, but without the plan to expand it passed this intake.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 8, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Cory Bernardi is probably a huge racist.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Cory Bernardi is probably a huge racist.

islam isn't a race :smuggo:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The thing is they could of just said "Christian and other minority group particular at risk in the area' instead of just 'Christian', and the racists would of likely been fine as it still singling out Christians with maybe one or two misc. others, and most other people would of been fine, as you know preference the people most at risk sounds fair enough. But they couldn't even do that, they had to specify just Christians, just to make extra sure that everyone knows that it's 100% a 'we're giant bigot' things, instead of policy based off something sort of make sense if you squint a bit, and don't think to hard about it.

I mean thats one thing you can say for the Abbott government, it never tires very hard to disguise its assholish nature, and on the rare occasions that it does, its far to incompetent to manage it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog posted three historical Asylum Seeker cartoons yesterday:

2011:

2012:

2013:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Poos Corp posted:

Syria crisis: Australia will potentially welcome more than 10,000 refugees

AUSTRALIA will welcome a separate intake of potentially more than 10,000 stricken Syrian refugees because the Abbott government overwhelmingly believes it is the Australian way.

As the mounting humanitarian crisis gripped the world last night, cabinet’s national security committee met to map out a Syrian action plan to be put to full cabinet today before going to a special party room meeting.

Seventeen government MPs, with the backing of Prime Minister Tony Abbott, passionately spoke of wanting to do more to assist the crisis during a party room meeting yesterday.

The intake could eclipse the 10,000 proposed by Labor.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
And a new Pope happened, white smoke e'rey day.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

AUSTRALIA will welcome a separate intake of potentially more than 10,000 stricken Syrian refugees because the Abbott government overwhelmingly believes it is the Australian way.

Nothing more Australian than accepting middle eastern refugees.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A former Queensland Police officer claims he was racially abused at work for four years, but did not come forward because he had been "conditioned" to accept the behaviour.

Mokhitar Singh claimed he was the victim of 102 "racially motivated" comments made by another officer, Peter Kingsley, between February 2009 and June 26, 2013.

According to Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal documents, Mr Singh's lawyers likened his reluctance to complain about the alleged abuse to a domestic violence victim with "battered spouse syndrome".

Mr Kingsley denies the abuse allegations and wants to prove they were untrue, his lawyers told QCAT.

In a decision published online on Friday, QCAT senior member Clare Endicott ruled the tribunal could not deal with 101 of the 102 allegations because Mr Singh took too long to complain to Queensland's Anti-Discrimination Commissioner.

The Anti-Discrimination Act requires complaints to be made within 12 months but only received the full complaint on June 14 last year.

Mr Singh's lawyers told the tribunal their client consulted a psychologist in 2014 and he believed his depression was due to the alleged workplace discrimination.

Mr Singh's lawyers submitted he "had systematically been burying and denying the problem for many years".

However lawyers for Mr Kingsley said Mr Singh had threatened to make a discrimination complaint in 2013. They said he only formalised his action after a disciplinary complaint was made against him.

They also said Mr Kingsley was not at work on the dates some of the allegations were made against him.

Ms Endicott rejected Mr Singh's claims that he was in a similar position to a domestic violence victim because he had the option to quit his job or seek a transfer.

She also cast doubt over claims that Mr Singh had been conditioned to normalise the alleged racism. Mr Singh kept a diary which included Mr Kingsley's comments, but did not include other workplace events.

"A reasonable inference can be drawn from his evidence that he recorded the words attributed to Mr Kingsley because he wanted to be able to recall what was said and when the words were said for some future use, such as making a complaint to his superiors or to an agency outside of his employment," Ms Endicott said.

On Monday, lawyers for Mr Singh confirmed they had not dropped their legal action despite Ms Endicott's ruling.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Can't wait how they explain that 10k refugees costs lest than Cambodia and island death camps.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hmmmmmmmm

Climate Change Authority chair Bernie Fraser resigns

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/climate-change-authority-chair-bernie-fraser-resigns-20150908-gji1rr.html

quote:

The chair of the Abbott government's climate change advice agency, Bernie Fraser, has resigned without explanation.
It comes less than a month after Mr Fraser issued a strong rebuke to the Abbott government over its justifications of its post-2020 greenhouse emissions targets.
A statement issued by the Climate Change Authority late on Tuesday said Mr Fraser, a respected former Reserve Bank governor, had quit as chair.

No further explanation was provided. It is understood Mr Fraser had a difficult relationship with Environment Minister Greg Hunt.
Speaking to Fairfax Media on Wednesday, Mr Fraser would not comment on whether issues with the government contributed to his decision to resign, saying "I don't want to make matters worse than they might be otherwise".
"There have been a few problems but … I've gone now and that's the end of the story for me," he said.
"I've resigned and that's it ... its time to move on."

Mr Fraser said he was comforted by the fact the authority would continue its work, under a "first class" management team.
"It's got a lot of important work still to do. They will continue to do good work [and] the community will benefit from in one way or another," he said.
In a statement on Tuesday, the authority paid tribute to Mr Fraser.

"[We] thank Mr Fraser for his enormously valuable contribution to the authority's work in providing independent expert advice to the Australian government and Parliament on climate change," it said.
"Arrangements have been made to ensure the authority's work will continue uninterrupted."

Fairfax Media understands Mr Fraser announced his decision on Tuesday after an all-day meeting of the authority.
Many of his colleagues are believed to be deeply saddened by his departure. He is not believed to have quit due to personal problems such as a health issue.
The government sought to abolish the authority last year but was blocked in the Senate. The agency was set up by the former Labor government to provide independent climate change advice.

Mr Fraser's departure means five of the nine board positions are vacant. The authority's management will be led in the interim by Professor David Karoly, a climate expert at Melbourne University.
In a statement, Mr Hunt thanked Mr Fraser for his work.
"He has had an outstanding career in public service, which I deeply respect and acknowledge," he said.
"In particular, I thank Mr Fraser for his assistance with the crossbench in the passage of the Emissions Reduction Fund."

He said the vacant positions "will be filled in the near future".
The authority had urged the government to impose extra scrutiny on polluters to ensure that, under the Emissions Reduction Fund, billions of taxpayer dollars are not spent on emissions cuts that would have occurred anyway. The government rejected the call.
Mr Fraser was an outspoken advocate of climate change action. In a strongly worded statement last month he directly contradicted government claims about emissions targets it would take to global climate talks in Paris later this year.

In the statement, Mr Fraser said Prime Minister Tony Abbott's assertion that its emissions cuts were akin to the United States were incorrect, and in fact Australia's targets put the nation "at or near the bottom" of comparable countries.
He said on the basis of the government's current targets, Australia "would slip further behind the efforts being made by comparable countries and likely face large catch-up adjustments down the track".
Mr Fraser said Labor's proposed emissions trading scheme does not equate to a new carbon tax, contrary to the government's characterisation.
The government intends to reduce the amount of greenhouse gas released into the atmosphere by 26-28 per cent by 2030, based on 2005 levels.

On Wednesday Mr Fraser would not comment on whether he faced pressure from the government after his statements on the targets.
"They were relevant and I had responsibility for making those sort of comments. But I am no longer there, so it's old news from today," he said.
In September last year Mr Fraser said morale at his agency had been hit hard by the government's attempt to cull it.
"It's understandably having a pretty devastating effect," he said.

He said even with some staff departures, the authority retained a "core capacity" to help the government develop a policy to restore bipartisan support for renewable energy.
But Mr Fraser said despite this "we have not been invited" to assist the government on the issue.
In April this year the authority was critical of the government for "skipping over" the significance of climate change for future generations in its recent Intergenerational Report, which sets out government budget challenges over the next 40 years.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

The intake could eclipse the 10,000 proposed by Labor.

10,001 is more than 10,000!

• Locked thread