Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The second gunsmith side op never opened up for me. The guidebook says all I need to do to unlock it is to do the previous one and that's done. Is this one of those situations where I just have to keep farting around with other missions/side ops until I get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh nooo I blew up the dude who can make a sick knife for my dog. :(

Ruggington posted:

I cannot believe how loving long this game is

Seriously I'm 13% through and I'd be done with most games twice over already.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

guys run over really fast to check out anime boxes

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Len posted:

Where are some good resource farming points? My motherbase is full and I'm apparently rear end at getting resources because I can't afford to upgrade anything to level 3.

What main mission are you up to? If you do not have all of the Mother Base Unit types, you're probably better off just ignoring it and making some progress.

But once you have the combat unit, between sending staff on dispatch missions, and mother base dev unit processing materials/mining you shouldn't have too much trouble. From there it's just a matter of fultoning every big cargo container you can find, which means getting the cargo+2 fulton upgrade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Len posted:

Where are some good resource farming points? My motherbase is full and I'm apparently rear end at getting resources because I can't afford to upgrade anything to level 3.

The big areas are good for crates. The Central Afghan Base has several, including a large fuel container. The airbase in Africa is good as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kiggles posted:

What main mission are you up to? If you do not have all of the Mother Base Unit types, you're probably better off just ignoring it and making some progress.

But once you have the combat unit, between sending staff on dispatch missions, and mother base dev unit processing materials/mining you shouldn't have too much trouble. From there it's just a matter of fultoning every big cargo container you can find, which means getting the cargo+2 fulton upgrade.

I'm on 15? I think? just destroyed some walker gears in an african village The dev unit seems really drat slow and doesn't want to give me the fuel I need to upgrade it more.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

The big areas are good for crates. The Central Afghan Base has several, including a large fuel container. The airbase in Africa is good as well.

Do they ever respawn? Noticed the areas are empty whenever I come back.

Also when the gently caress do I unlock hats this is very important to me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
lol, when reinforcements are called into a FOB they all spawn at once at the helipad. I was about to completely clean a guy out when like, 5 dudes with lmgs shot me up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Do they ever respawn? Noticed the areas are empty whenever I come back.

Also when the gently caress do I unlock hats this is very important to me.

Yeah they always respawn after a bit

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's been said before, but FOB infiltrations are balanced so heavily in favor of the defender that it's a little bullshit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Snak posted:

I am not really loving the "adaptive" enemies. They are like terminators now. It takes like 6 sniper shots to hurt one and a full mag of assault rifle does nothing. I am sending guys to raid the warehouses but as far as I can tell that does nothing, since I haven't seen a decrease in gas masks, helmets, or body armor. One guy was standing on a grenade when it went off and he just got back up.

also, side ops 145/146 The escaped children. When I heard them talk about it on the radio, I thought they were hiding somewhere on mother base, but looking at the mission, they escaped all the way to the mainland? what the gently caress? everyone who works at mother base is fired. literally can't keep children from stowing away on board our helicopters.

edit: While the skulls are scary and hard when you very first encounter them, I think they are over-all a pretty loving fun boss to fight. It's way better than one big health bar to have there be a unit that you can split up.

Riot helmets can be blown off by a grenade blast. You can also snipe them in the head through the visor slit if you are a good shot. You can pop them in the dick with a tranquilizer, since they don't have armor there for some reason. If you get close enough and crouch / are below them, you can shoot them in the neck with a dart. They also go down to CQC like chumps. Finally, DD's stun knife doesn't care at all about their armor. I think your upgraded Stun Hand works the same way, but I can't remember. You can basically cheese them all by throwing a smoke grenade and then running right at them and chokeslamming them into oblivion.

Also keep an eye out for weapons in your research tree with high penetration. There are a few anti-materiel rifles that will blow right through riot suits and helmets with zero effort.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dangerous Person posted:

The second gunsmith side op never opened up for me. The guidebook says all I need to do to unlock it is to do the previous one and that's done. Is this one of those situations where I just have to keep farting around with other missions/side ops until I get it?

I did the first two Africa missions (don't remember the numbers but the second one's called Lingua Franca) and was able to access the first 2 gunsmith side ops back to back. Side ops have a weird thing going on, though -- there's not (afaik) a limit to the number you can have available at one time, but there IS a limit where you can only have one available in each part of the map at one time. If you have another side op currently available in the same base where you rescue Legendary Gunsmith #2, you'll have to complete it to make the gunsmith one available. I'm not at my PS4 and don't remember what base it's in but maybe someone else can tell you or you can find out in a guide.

edit: oh you have the guidebook, cool -- yeah just look at the map to see where that mission takes place, I almost guarantee you've got another side-op available in the same spot and you'll have to complete that before the gunsmith one shows up for you

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Areas also have priority lists for side-ops. It seems like a lot of people run into a position where they need to do the stun arm blueprint side-op to unlock the next gunsmith one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

It's been said before, but FOB infiltrations are balanced so heavily in favor of the defender that it's a little bullshit.

In all fairness, they're the ones who really have something at stake in the thing
Unless you're invading someone who has a nuke, that is

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah it's kinda silly how one-sided they are. Hopefully MGO isn't quite so imba.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

That parasite suit is a ton of fun but it's a shame that the camouflage is just the same as the stealth camo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Holy poo poo, Code Talker totally scares Skull Face shitless by mentioning that he has a Hungarian strain tuned to his exact dialect.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Thanks to those who mentioned the side ops priorities on the map. It's too late in the night for me to turn on my PS4 and look for myself but it'll be the first thing I do when I play tomorrow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mission 31: I am so bad when the game wants me to actually fight compared to stealthing and running away.

That said, despite dying way too many times that was loving awesome

....... REVENGE! :haw:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
This game....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nuSrMHlxwk

I guess that's why you put your birth date at the start.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I know it has been posted but I can't find it, what am I supposed to do after mission 41?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
With the first mission in Africa can you rescue the child soldiers??

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is there a way to refresh whatever looks to see if a FOB you're supporting is being attacked?

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Does anyone know if I ignore my FOB, like I assign it security and equip them but never bother going to defend myself, how likely it is to be a net drain on GMP and resources? I'm expecting I won't often feel like going in for the fight and I'm curious if my FOB will just be a losing prospect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

lovely Wizard posted:

Odds are they were going to add motherbase customization for soldiers and that was some sort of remnant. Like how the new Ocelot squad showed up for like 1 cutscene with Quiet and never showed up again.

HEAD OPTION:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there a trick/cheeseball tactic for mission 48? It's like fighting four Quiets-everything one shots me, trying to sneak through without fighting gets me killed, and their damage output is so high that going in with a tank isn't feasible

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yesssssss wormhole and the bandana both opened up for development

Neo Rasa posted:

HEAD OPTION:

You can change generic soldiers' head option. I'm developing a bandana right now as well

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I didn't even see any during my first few missions there. You can rescue them by dumping them in he helicopter, though, later an upgrade from a side-op lets you Fulton extract them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goferchan posted:

I didn't even see any during my first few missions there. You can rescue them by dumping them in he helicopter, though, later an upgrade from a side-op lets you Fulton extract them

You can also extract them by placing them in a vehicle and fultoning it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neo Rasa posted:

HEAD OPTION:

All I wanted was the sick mask+beret combo the nu-GRU squad had in that cutscene. :(

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
am i supposed to be putting my leveled up guys from the combat unit into the security team? the auto assign is putting really lovely dudes into the security team.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Stick three in a car and take the last to an lz

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
can someone give me some loadout tips for mission 42?

using bandana and battle dress (the only one I have unlocked, like it's level 3 I think).
Using a level 5 rocket launcher with 13 ammo. It's not doing a whole lot of damage. Have d-dog with me who's not doing anything. I try to do the r2 reactions and get them right like 2 out of 3 times, but those don't even do much damage. I have tried this like 3x and not killed a single skull yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If my staff is full at base is full what happens when I Fulton guys? Am I doing anything bad by Fultoning lovely soldiers and should I just concentrate on grsbbing the higher rank ones?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Is team level locked behind soldier rank, or just sheer number of people? I have nothing but S through A+ in my units, but they're capped at 115 and I don't have a single unit higher than 38. I'm at like 60% complete, wondering what the hell else I can do to start unlocking the poo poo I want.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Romes128 posted:

am i supposed to be putting my leveled up guys from the combat unit into the security team? the auto assign is putting really lovely dudes into the security team.

Honestly security should probably stay as your chump squad unless you're concerned with FOB stuff.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Security Unit, also known as Diamond Dogs Community College

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Bholder posted:

Most important question:

Can you shoot tranq darts into the enemy's rear end in a top hat to pass them out like in Peace Walker or even other games?

This is from a while back but I managed this a couple of times. It's as difficult as it was in peace walker and cannot be done to people with body armor regardless of whether the armor covers their butts (This is probably because the hitboxes are the same regardless of the model used for the faction).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

If my staff is full at base is full what happens when I Fulton guys? Am I doing anything bad by Fultoning lovely soldiers and should I just concentrate on grsbbing the higher rank ones?

If your Mother Base is full and you extract a dude, the worst guy in your base will be auto kicked. If your newest guy is the worst, he'll get to Mother Base and be immediately jettisoned into the ocean. Presumably via catapult. There's never a reason to stop ballooning people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, I'm sure you're probably sick of this question by now, but...regarding a certain emblem and Mission 45/46...

So, let me get this straight. Keeping the Butterfly on my Emblem means Quiet stays, but I don't get Mission 46 or side op 150. Removing it at any time after that means I lose her permanently, so I want to get all her upgrades beforehand if I want to get 100% completion?

Sucks that you have to lose her permanently if you want all the missions, though. She's a pretty useful Buddy, I usually go with her or Dog.

• Locked thread