Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

fjelltorsk posted:

Havin a truck is awsome, i got 12 sacks of dirt for the garden, some tiles and 600kg of sand in the back today.

i also park like an idiot if i find a incline or rock to set the truck on

Nicely done.

I once put 2,056kg in my van. Sooooo about 800kg overloaded. :stare:

How you liking the truck so far in all aspects? Nice drive, interior and engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sigma X posted:

One of the managers in a sister office is prepping to move from NoVA to Florida; he's got his private pilot's license and a small plane, and he's going to fly himself up every other week.

He's going to get himself into serious trouble. Flying to work seems to give people a "must get there" attitude to flying, and enables risk-taking with weather...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

jammyozzy posted:

On Saturday I paid for a pair of college courses for my other half. Just now he texted me that they've accidentally billed me 4 times(!) and that one of the courses was full anyway. :negative:

I know academia is usually a clown show anyway but jesus christ.

He got there today and the other class had been cancelled with no notice due to low interest. :bang:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Apple's just trolling its customers now...

a) the ipad PRO now supports the Apple Pencil for only $99 more... which the rest of the world has known as a "stylus" for decades.

b) for only $32 per month, you can get a new iphone EVERY year. So, if you pay the price of a new iphone over a year, they'll give you a new iphone.

:thumbsup:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Mooseykins posted:

Nicely done.

I once put 2,056kg in my van. Sooooo about 800kg overloaded. :stare:

How you liking the truck so far in all aspects? Nice drive, interior and engine?

It drives...ok. my referances latetly is the p85D and the transit connect at work. we also have a few hiluxes at the firehouse. it drives fairly nice on the highway, get a bit big and weird in narrow streets. it bounces a bit in the rear when empty. the interior is almost like a golf, seats are decent but could be better. the layout of the interior is very good, its kinda liberating not doing everything via the huge touchscreen in the tesla.

the engine is...slow. but the gearbox works great so its not a big issue. i guess a year in a P85D kinda spoil everything else.

so far i really love it, i have been listening to zz top in it since i got it to get used to driving a pickup quicker

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Apple's just trolling its customers now...

a) the ipad PRO now supports the Apple Pencil for only $99 more... which the rest of the world has known as a "stylus" for decades.

b) for only $32 per month, you can get a new iphone EVERY year. So, if you pay the price of a new iphone over a year, they'll give you a new iphone.

:thumbsup:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

more than the price of a new iphone considering you can sell a year old iphone and take less than a $400 hit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Some basic disaster preparedness could have been put in place, backup domain controllers, etc. You don't have to simulate a full on nothing works disaster to test disaster recovery.

My disaster recovery was pulling the network cable on the primary domain controller. Backup took over like a charm. Zero downtime. Then a week later, I did it to the backup.

Losing a domain controller counts as a disaster recovery situation where you work? Wow. I sometimes forget the difference in scale between various organizations. We have hundreds of domain controllers so losing one is barely even worth reporting. Our regional data centers are high availability between themselves so losing one isn't even that bad. We have to lose two data centers in the same region to start the DR process.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Galler posted:

Losing a domain controller counts as a disaster recovery situation where you work? Wow. I sometimes forget the difference in scale between various organizations. We have hundreds of domain controllers so losing one is barely even worth reporting. Our regional data centers are high availability between themselves so losing one isn't even that bad. We have to lose two data centers in the same region to start the DR process.

I've worked with companies who have hundreds of them, but my recent contracts have been small businesses.

Generally, any infrastructure I've managed has been setup in such a way that the only way it'd be a disaster is if multiple items fail at once.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The only movie you need to watch is Black Devil Doll.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, watch Narcos, it's really good.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Does anyone know a good online eyeglasses place? I just got a new prescription yesterday and Id like to get both sun and safety glasses in addition to the nice frames Im getting.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Hilarious.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

Does anyone know a good online eyeglasses place? I just got a new prescription yesterday and Id like to get both sun and safety glasses in addition to the nice frames Im getting.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Slow, but cheap as gently caress for the same poo poo you'd get in the store.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

Exactly, there's a reason bumpstops exist, and the transmission is supposed to smoke like that.

Rollin coal with my tranny

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fjelltorsk posted:

Havin a truck is awsome, i got 12 sacks of dirt for the garden, some tiles and 600kg of sand in the back today.

i also park like an idiot if i find a incline or rock to set the truck on

This is the best reason to own a truck. I enjoy parking mine in places cars and lesser vehicles can't get into/out of.

Also burning way more gas for no good reason (that being said, the Tundra did decent mileage for my 4000'ish km trip, if I hadn't of driven like an idiot on two tanks I would have been close to 23mpg/10ish litres/100km average)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Please make note of the copyright date. This was made in 2012.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So I finally got around to finishing the 6th season of COMMUNITY. There were definitely some bright spots, the second to last episode of the season had me bursting with laughter. I am really appreciating how Netflix, Amazon, etc are putting out their own original content and having creative freedoms to not follow "the form" that has been always set before. Whenever a series ends you get hit with a sense of nostalgia after following a show for a few years like that. Community had that same flair of Arrested Development in that it was a show probably too good for TV masses who are devouring the mindlessness of Big Bang Theory and 2 1/2 men and whatever other bullcrap is dominating the ratings.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Also, watch Narcos, it's really good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Siochain posted:

This is the best reason to own a truck. I enjoy parking mine in places cars and lesser vehicles can't get into/out of.

Also burning way more gas for no good reason (that being said, the Tundra did decent mileage for my 4000'ish km trip, if I hadn't of driven like an idiot on two tanks I would have been close to 23mpg/10ish litres/100km average)

Speak for yourself, my smallest car fits down ATV trails when I put it in 4x4 :colbert:

If I got a beat up one I would probably make the worlds smallest street legal (without 25 year rule / antique plates / similar shenanigans) pickup conversion.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

kastein posted:

Speak for yourself, my smallest car fits down ATV trails when I put it in 4x4 :colbert:

If I got a beat up one I would probably make the worlds smallest street legal (without 25 year rule / antique plates / similar shenanigans) pickup conversion.
Wait, you stay on trails? Scrub. Ask me how I broke the taillight on my Suburban.

I reject your pavement and substitute my own.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Some basic disaster preparedness could have been put in place, backup domain controllers, etc. You don't have to simulate a full on nothing works disaster to test disaster recovery.

My disaster recovery was pulling the network cable on the primary domain controller. Backup took over like a charm. Zero downtime. Then a week later, I did it to the backup.

This is an exercise for "a meteor fell on the IS building and/or all of Dallas Ft. Worth is under 6' of water", i.e. total failure of the (single, only) IT facility.
Network failures and power outages are tested monthly or so, as I recall. I'm Workstation, so I don't get to play with those. We're nationwide, but not really a very large company. About 15K employees.

Galler posted:

Yeah, we've got just the one. We've pretty much just gotten big enough for the company to really take IT seriously. It's tough for a 100+ year old retail company to take this new-fangled electronic stuff seriously.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

This made me smile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

2012. Goddamn he called that one well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

People really don't appreciate the advantages of a tiny, light 4x4, even without a low box.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Wait, you stay on trails? Scrub. Ask me how I broke the taillight on my Suburban.

Yeah, I stay on trails. I consider ledges under 2 feet tall and rocks less than a foot in diameter to be a paved road. If the rocks are less than 6" it is a racetrack to be lapped again and again until I can hit 70mph on it.

Tail lights and turn signals I keep in stock because they are disposable. Used to break a front axleshaft or two every trip out until I got aftermarket alloy ones. Had to replace my bumpers with homemade ones made from 2x6 1/4" wall steel tube and still bent one on its third trip. Bent the axle tube of my front diff (2.75" diameter, 1/4" wall) racing it offroad, which was surprisingly easy.

God I miss wheeling. Gotta armor the new MJ and build it soon.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Slow, but cheap as gently caress for the same poo poo you'd get in the store.

That's where I get mine as well. My eye doctor wasn't pleased that I wasn't gonna let him rape me on a pair of lovely Chinese frames.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Today's one of those days. Broke a fuel rail on a crown vic trying to take a coil out because one loving hair of the socket was under the edge of it, and I used my little electric cordless to run the bolt out bending it up and popping the injectors out. Misdiagnosed a customers rear end noise on a Tahoe because I didn't know it was a locker style rear diff and it was in park so spinning the rear wheel and seeing the other side twist opposite till it would slam to a stop. Made me think it had a broken gear in an open diff, they sold the whole axle and had it dropped off from the recyclers. Noticed the error when I popped the diff open to drain it out then had to tell them back to back with the Vic. Then went on lunch and pulling my parking brake handle caused the tunnel to rip and now I don't have a handle that's attached to the car except for one tiny corner of metal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drat, you're hard on poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man you should see what my dick looks like after 30 years of that sort of treatment

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Made this today:

I've had to explain the joke to ~90% of my co-workers. I'm either esoteric as heck or really dull. Maybe both!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Made this today:

I've had to explain the joke to ~90% of my co-workers. I'm either esoteric as heck or really dull. Maybe both!

:golfclap:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Anybody here work at a VAG dealer? My manager tried to tell me that the dealers dont bother doing all the 50 steps to align VAG products such as fully full gas tank, full fluids, checking ride height and resetting the stability control etc. Just loving line it up he said when i asked if he told the customer our master tech would have to reset that poo poo with his Verus. The car had aftermarket suspension too. Toe and go it is! Glad we ripped off another customer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

Anybody here work at a VAG dealer? My manager tried to tell me that the dealers dont bother doing all the 50 steps to align VAG products such as fully full gas tank, full fluids, checking ride height and resetting the stability control etc. Just loving line it up he said when i asked if he told the customer our master tech would have to reset that poo poo with his Verus. The car had aftermarket suspension too. Toe and go it is! Glad we ripped off another customer.

In my entire career I've never seen that whole bullshit checklist done and I'm pretty sure it's just to pad hours at the dealership. If the suspension is tight then make it drive straight and not burn the tires

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Apparently I single handily drank all the Guiness on tap at this bar.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh for gently caress's sake... :ughh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

scuz posted:

Made this today:

I don't get it

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

You've got the car way too far forward, particularly for a nose-heavy Scooby.Scootch it back so that the weight of the car is centered on the trailer's axles (I'd say about with the rear edge of the front tire at the front edge of the trailer's fenders), and that will reduce the tongue weight, making the truck a lot happier (and a lot less squirrelly. You're drat near picking the front wheels up off the ground there.)

It was significantly further back initially, which was much better, then during the drive back elected to move itself forward after my co-driver's lovely knots at the rear came loose. The bumper ran into the winch box :( good thing I'm getting a new bumper anyway.

The pic was taken at our destination, and yeah, it was squirrely as gently caress. Made it, though. Should I just have been a normal sane and rational human being and paid for a flatbed truck to transport it for me? Probably! But we made it, and saved a couple hundred bucks in the process, so I'm OK with this.

You Am I posted:

I don't get it

me either

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

14 INCH DICK posted:

In my entire career I've never seen that whole bullshit checklist done and I'm pretty sure it's just to pad hours at the dealership. If the suspension is tight then make it drive straight and not burn the tires

Im pretty much in the same school of thought just wondering how the pros did it. Alignments are bullshit at our shop anyway since our rack is 30 years old and the rear hasn't slid for the last ten. Not to mention we just literally last month updated from a Windows 95 brain that only had cars up to 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

literally a fish posted:

It was significantly further back initially, which was much better, then during the drive back elected to move itself forward after my co-driver's lovely knots at the rear came loose. The bumper ran into the winch box :( good thing I'm getting a new bumper anyway.

The pic was taken at our destination, and yeah, it was squirrely as gently caress. Made it, though. Should I just have been a normal sane and rational human being and paid for a flatbed truck to transport it for me? Probably! But we made it, and saved a couple hundred bucks in the process, so I'm OK with this.

Knots?! Oh, hell no. Ratcheting straps made for the job, son. Or chains with tensioners. Nothing else, ever. And now you know why.

• Locked thread