Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well maybe it is true in nonlinear, thaumic space, or something.

BTW why use a harvester to shear leaves? I only had enough time tonight to put together a munchdew, and not the whole secondary farm, but I did get to toy with it. It seemed quite happy nom noming leaves on the edge of my first farm just fine. Couldn't I just put that in the middle of a second farm with planters, and just recruit a lumberjack golem to take care of the leftover logs?

doing it that way means that the munchdews will go into cooldown, which lowers your throughput

shearing leaves and using formation planes to place them means you can scale up your tree farm to ridiculous sizes, far more than a munchdew could cover itself, then funnel all the leaves into an all-you-can-eat buffet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I read somewhere in the botania documentation that chests with a hole in the bottom were specifically designed to spit out items faster because deployers and such weren't fast enough for them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I think there's something wrong with the version of Blood Magic included with Blightfall. I opened a demon portal earlier and it's not generating any structures. It's just creating these tile.Schematicsaver.name purple/black blocks instead. I moved the portal from my original location to the mushroom island with a teleposer and it's just making more of them. Spawning lots of demons, but no structures.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 10, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

I read somewhere in the botania documentation that chests with a hole in the bottom were specifically designed to spit out items faster because deployers and such weren't fast enough for them.
I tried this, but leaves actually have to be placed as blocks for the munchdews to eat them.

I did end up digitizing my tree farm, but it still needs some work. Even with a potency lens, an elven spreader wasn't fast enough to keep it from going on cooldown. I might try putting one directly against a distributor and see if that helps, but I may just have to rely on endoflames until I kill a Gaia spirit.

But I had some questions about mana storage. What's the best way to expand capacity? Distributors seem okay, but not terribly scaleable. Are sparks the answer? Do they make multiple pools act like one big pool? Or do they just make it easier to pull mana out quickly?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sparks are the answer, yeah. Taffer posted his Botania arrangement earlier in this thread with a pool+spark array.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ImpactVector posted:

But I had some questions about mana storage. What's the best way to expand capacity? Distributors seem okay, but not terribly scaleable. Are sparks the answer? Do they make multiple pools act like one big pool? Or do they just make it easier to pull mana out quickly?

Sparks, with the spark augments, can transfer mana from one pool to another (or one to many.) These are elven knowledge, however, and require elven materials.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Glory of Arioch posted:

Sparks, with the spark augments, can transfer mana from one pool to another (or one to many.) These are elven knowledge, however, and require elven materials.
Ah, that's what I was missing. I have a few pools linked with sparks for my terrasteel altar, but they hadn't been acting like they were connected like you'd expect a battery of them to be. I hadn't realized you could augment them.

Thanks guys! That helps a lot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Use one pool near all your mana generation and put a recessive spark on it. Put however many non augmented spark pools in range as you want, and it will feed all of them. Then put a dominant spark on pools you plan on doing stuff with (catalysts, charging, etc). The range of a spark is 12 blocks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm expanding very slowly with my base and I'm doing fairly well. I have a nice big area cleaned with the free Ethereal Blooms found around the map (I've found about 20). My food situation is a pain in the rear end, but is stable.

I have a few questions though.

Is there anything to do for tainted nodes? I'm worried that by the time I manage to build a node room all the nodes on the map will be tainted. I also have one inside my perimeter surrounded by blooms to keep it from spreading taint.

I'm playing whack-a-mole with taint inside my clear area. I'm assuming I spread too fast to let the blooms clear everything, but the ground was perfectly clear when I moved the blooms up. How do I know when they've cleaned the entire area from bedrock up?

Is the only way to collect Vitium for alchemy to use Silk touch on tainted soil and the like? Goo and tendrils dissolve too fast. Would putting them into a backpack in my inventory save them?

Is there any way to add a mod the pack? I tried sticking Veinminer in the mod folder and it didn't work.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Travic posted:

Is the only way to collect Vitium for alchemy to use Silk touch on tainted soil and the like? Goo and tendrils dissolve too fast. Would putting them into a backpack in my inventory save them?

The Paranormalist should have quests where he'll take your goo and tendrils and give you Vitrium in exchange. Have your quest book in your hotbar, open up to that specific turn in quest, and you can usually jump to it after combat before the tendrils infect you.

I think sticking them in a backpack also works.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

doing it that way means that the munchdews will go into cooldown, which lowers your throughput

shearing leaves and using formation planes to place them means you can scale up your tree farm to ridiculous sizes, far more than a munchdew could cover itself, then funnel all the leaves into an all-you-can-eat buffet

So the issue is the munchdew's eyes are smaller than its stomach? How big of a tree farm are we talking about here? Is this like an emerald-upgraded one?

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Eschers Basement posted:

The Paranormalist should have quests where he'll take your goo and tendrils and give you Vitrium in exchange. Have your quest book in your hotbar, open up to that specific turn in quest, and you can usually jump to it after combat before the tendrils infect you.

I think sticking them in a backpack also works.

I know that placing them in a placed container (IE chest) will store them indefinitely.

So if the backpack trick doesn't work, you can always chest-swap them back to your base.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Travic posted:

Backpacks definitely work for preserving, although you still have the too-fast timer to shove them in there in the first place.

It's ridiculous how fast those things dissolve! I've routinely held off on picking them up until i had my questbook open to one of the turn-in quests only to have it dissolve in the time it took to reopen it and move the cursor to the 'manual submit' button. Is there any way to slow down the clock to something like a minute instead of 0-15 seconds?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Travic posted:

Is there anything to do for tainted nodes? I'm worried that by the time I manage to build a node room all the nodes on the map will be tainted. I also have one inside my perimeter surrounded by blooms to keep it from spreading taint.

This is Thaumcraft 4.2, you don't need a node room. You need one really nice node with all the primal aspects on it (or a compound aspect that has Humanus as one of its components will break down into all the primal aspects.) You use this to set up a node transducer, which, in the process of converting the node to an Energized, centivis-producing node, will clear the "tainted" aspect from the node.

Alternatively, you can use the Dawn Machine to do the job, but that is like using a sledgehammer to drive a tenpenny nail.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Travic posted:

It's a little cheaty, but taint doesn't grow if the chunks aren't loaded. there are two nodes in the frozen north between tundra and taiga that can be energized and provide all vis; If you're careful about exploration, you can just not go there until you get ready to jar them. For a while I kept a few blooms in my inventory while exploring and if I saw a node I wanted to keep (there's a great ordo/terra node just north of the tiaga waypoint) I just stuck a bloom down on the ground below it.

Travic posted:

I'm playing whack-a-mole with taint inside my clear area. I'm assuming I spread too fast to let the blooms clear everything, but the ground was perfectly clear when I moved the blooms up. How do I know when they've cleaned the entire area from bedrock up?
What's likely happening is there are underground caverns that are re-infecting the bloomed areas. Bloom cleansing only happens within I think 8 blocks; it doesn't go down to the bedrock. The Best thing to do is just cleanse those spots manually with a purity focus.

Travic posted:

Yes. Do this, or turn them in immediately. I made a golden bag of holding ASAP and they just get dumped in there.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is Thaumcraft 4.2, you don't need a node room. You need one really nice node with all the primal aspects on it (or a compound aspect that has Humanus as one of its components will break down into all the primal aspects.) You use this to set up a node transducer, which, in the process of converting the node to an Energized, centivis-producing node, will clear the "tainted" aspect from the node.

Alternatively, you can use the Dawn Machine to do the job, but that is like using a sledgehammer to drive a tenpenny nail.
Actually, I feel like I really do need a node room. The new thing according to the wiki is to have all the nodes eat each other and then energize the biggest one. I really need this since I have the two nodes I talked about above and they only give 5 and 4 respectively. Very slow charging, and I didn't realize it at the time but you can only have a single node charging an item, there's no way to draw power from multiple nodes at the same time.

Sadly I energized them both so I'm going to have to de-energize one and have it take the hit of being totally drained. Oh well. Someday, operation hungry node will commence and I won't care anymore.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Bhodi posted:

What's likely happening is there are underground caverns that are re-infecting the bloomed areas. Bloom cleansing only happens within I think 8 blocks; it doesn't go down to the bedrock. The Best thing to do is just cleanse those spots manually with a purity focus.

Close, but Bloom cleansing is an 8-block radius and cleans from bedrock to Sky. I'm currently cleansing an underground chasm connected to a tunnel that was creeping into the middle Swamp island, and the blooms are most definitely clearing out the land 40+ blocks above.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Edminster posted:

Close, but Bloom cleansing is an 8-block radius and cleans from bedrock to Sky. I'm currently cleansing an underground chasm connected to a tunnel that was creeping into the middle Swamp island, and the blooms are most definitely clearing out the land 40+ blocks above.

maybe an underground tainted node

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Actually, I feel like I really do need a node room. The new thing according to the wiki is to have all the nodes eat each other and then energize the biggest one. I really need this since I have the two nodes I talked about above and they only give 5 and 4 respectively. Very slow charging, and I didn't realize it at the time but you can only have a single node charging an item, there's no way to draw power from multiple nodes at the same time.

Sadly I energized them both so I'm going to have to de-energize one and have it take the hit of being totally drained. Oh well. Someday, operation hungry node will commence and I won't care anymore.

I run my entire base on a 5 CV node. The thing is that staves can't be charged by CV, so you have to rely on your vis stone to charge them, which has a max throughput rate of, like, 1 CV or less. I'd rather have 500 vis of capacity than a faster-charging 100 vis poo poo-wand, and such is the tradeoffs.

That being said, if you do want to do the "nodes eat other nodes" thing, it's not a problem -- just do it outside of your base in an area that's already tainted. Then, once you have the ur-node made, jar it and bring it home and transduce it to clear the tainted status.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

Blooms definitely do cleanse down to bedrock. They just can take a while to get it all. A good way to tell if an area is clear is to turn on the biome overlay on the map. If you see any purple spots, it's not done yet.

Though the overlay is kind of finicky about when it refreshes. You may need to teleport away and back or disconnect and reconnect if on a server to get an accurate update.

Though you are right that caves are reinfection vectors. If they just have to sneak around your blooms to do it (like on unprotected coastlines).

E:

TheresaJayne posted:

Or yes, this is also extremely likely to be the cause of recurring taint spots.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Maybe I'm mistaken because the land can look cleansed above so I move the blooms forward, and the underground caverns are still tainted? All I know is I definitely have to come behind and give the land a sweep with my purity focus and I can tell it's doing something because it drains mana, otherwise there are spots of taint after a while, and not only along the coast (though that makes sense)

Hey, are there any convenience travel items you can craft? Teleporters? Portals of some kind? I know there aren't elevator blocks. There are those thaumcraft roads that make you move faster, but I was hoping for something faster. I've outgrown my swamp island and want to go ahead and relocate somewhere else and I'm trying to do base planning. If there were elevator blocks I'd make a tower or move into the obsidian one but since there aren't I'm looking for the next best thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

TheresaJayne posted:

Yeah, if you keep getting a spotty amount of tainted biome appearing in a decent circle then it means there's a tainted node buried underneath. If it's just a single square or two then you've got tainted sheep converting grass into taint.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken because the land can look cleansed above so I move the blooms forward, and the underground caverns are still tainted? All I know is I definitely have to come behind and give the land a sweep with my purity focus and I can tell it's doing something because it drains mana, otherwise there are spots of taint after a while.

Hey, are there any convenience travel items you can craft? Teleporters? Portals of some kind? I know there aren't elevator blocks. There are those thaumcraft roads that make you move faster, but I was hoping for something faster. I've outgrown my swamp island and want to go ahead and relocate somewhere else and I'm trying to do base planning. If there were elevator blocks I'd make a tower or move into the obsidian one but since there aren't I'm looking for the next best thing.

doesn't taint work on chunk, press F9 twice to see chunk borders, you have to completely clean out the whole chunk to detaint the biome i think.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Edminster posted:

It's ridiculous how fast those things dissolve!

I think it remembers the countdown time permanently and resumes whenever you have one in your inventory. Like you have 15 seconds between each dissolve, but it doesn't reset, so sometimes the countdown is at 0.1 seconds, so as soon as you pick something up it dissolves. But then you'll have 15 seconds of buffer before it happens again.

Travic posted:

I use the biome overlay on the map (press 'm' then go into options and set biome overlay to solid). It's easy to see any spots of taint and you can clean it with the purity focus before moving the blooms.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
thaumcraft wiki is cagey on how to destroy nodes, though it does say they drop essences. If there's a tainted node and I don't have a dawn machine, what's my best option?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So the issue is the munchdew's eyes are smaller than its stomach? How big of a tree farm are we talking about here? Is this like an emerald-upgraded one?

A big harvester will keep 1 munchdew happy, but the limit isn't farm size, it's simply speed. I have 4 harvesters set up, 3 shearing leaves and 1 for saplings, all with gold radius upgrades, feeding 3 munchdews on enchanted soil.

Bhodi posted:

thaumcraft wiki is cagey on how to destroy nodes, though it does say they drop essences. If there's a tainted node and I don't have a dawn machine, what's my best option?

Destroy it unless its aspects are exceptional. Most nodes are crappy and not worth the effort of cleaning or moving.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

TheresaJayne posted:

doesn't taint work on chunk, press F9 twice to see chunk borders, you have to completely clean out the whole chunk to detaint the biome i think.

It's each square, not each chunk. You can see this by bringing up the debug info with F3 and stopping over a blighted block versus an unblighted block.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bhodi posted:

You destroy the node like you destroy a log; with punching.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Funny I never tried punching them. That's hilarious; knowing thaumcraft I thought it'd be some intricate ritual

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Faced with a rift in space-time spewing out an endless stream of pure corruption, you walk up and beat the poo poo out of it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You can also jar the node and put it over the ocean or something. Bonus: If you put a lot of tainted nodes in the same spot, they'll eat each other and you'll eventually have a huge cool node!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Glory of Arioch posted:

I run my entire base on a 5 CV node. The thing is that staves can't be charged by CV, so you have to rely on your vis stone to charge them, which has a max throughput rate of, like, 1 CV or less. I'd rather have 500 vis of capacity than a faster-charging 100 vis poo poo-wand, and such is the tradeoffs.

That being said, if you do want to do the "nodes eat other nodes" thing, it's not a problem -- just do it outside of your base in an area that's already tainted. Then, once you have the ur-node made, jar it and bring it home and transduce it to clear the tainted status.

This is what I meant. Last time I played Thaumcraft I had a tower with a super node at the top powering everything and charging a wand with centivis on my Arcane Workstation. The floor below that had a bunch of stabilized nodes with lots of primal essences surrounding a staff on a wand recharging pedestal. Is that still the best?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you're aiming for charge speed then yeah. Otherwise you can recharge that wand with the super node since recharge rate apparently is capped at 5 CV.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

and on blightfall there's a limited total number of nodes, plus they are almost all tainted, so i think it's a lot easier to just punch the tainted ones to dead and run your base off of one CV 5 node

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i wonder if it'd be worth transducing a node in the situation room of the jaded so i can recharge poo poo while i'm waiting for scans

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

i wonder if it'd be worth transducing a node in the situation room of the jaded so i can recharge poo poo while i'm waiting for scans

now i want to get a tainted node and set it loose inside the ship :twisted:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

and on blightfall there's a limited total number of nodes, plus they are almost all tainted, so i think it's a lot easier to just punch the tainted ones to dead and run your base off of one CV 5 node

Boating out of the map leads you to an endless ocean that spawns endless nodes

they are heavily water focused, but they exist

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

gonna make a 23 CV aqua node :hellyeah:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

gonna make a 23 CV aqua node :hellyeah:

They cap at 10 CV, though a Bright node can push it to 12 CV with the +20% bonus

Mzbundifund posted:

Faced with a rift in space-time spewing out an endless stream of pure corruption, you walk up and beat the poo poo out of it.

Fuckin putting this in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regarding caches: Are they supposed to be so drat disappointing? I hit cache 2 and all it gave me was a few iron, lead, and redstone. Considering it took finding platinum before unlocking the locations I was expecting something more worthwhile.

• Locked thread