Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamsque
May 31, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I started putting a TV in every cell (it's not that expensive) and now I don't need Common Rooms any more. Which means I can't hold AA meetings, but I still think it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Dunno if that trade is worth it. AA meetings count towards your re-offending rate in two ways (+time in reform programs, - active addictions) and also serve to keep demand for contraband down and reduce the number of times your guards will have to taze drunk-rear end prisoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Use a radio instead, it's cheaper and paradoxically doesn't count as electrical. It eases the demands on your power system appreciably in 50-man cell blocks. It satisfies the Entertainment need a bit slower, but if you're eliminating Common Rooms and other such cruft, it's because you're trying to exchange Free Time blocks for Lockup. Your inmates will have plenty of time cooling their heels in their cells in that case.

Also just make a common room and fill it with only chairs. I use a dinky little 3x4 as my Common Room with 9 chairs facing a tenth, where presumably the Psychologist sits when he's running the session.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 10, 2015

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
My first legendary showed up and was basically an evil, murderous Jason Bourne, replete with every "Extremely-" modifier. Despite being handcuffed in a permanent lockdown cell in a heavily staffed custom wing of supermax dedicated entirely to him, he still managed kill eight guards and survive five shotgun blasts over his six day stay before a lucky guard finally hit him in the head.

This game is the gift that keeps on giving.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coolguye posted:

Also just make a common room and fill it with only chairs. I use a dinky little 3x4 as my Common Room with 9 chairs facing a tenth, where presumably the Psychologist sits when he's running the session.

If you're going to run AA at all you might as well get your money's worth and use a room that holds 20 chairs, because 20 is the maximum a session can hold. That way 80 prisoners a day can run through the program. Cheap as hell for the benefit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

True, but for the life of me I've never had 20 alcoholics in the same security grade at the same time.

And FORGET running that reform program mixed-sec, having a ton of guys who are probably all ready to murder eachother for a bottle of whiskey show up in the same place is a recipe for disaster.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've really never had problems with mixed-sec apart from snitches and ex-LEO getting shanked.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Version 1 of my zone designator mod is published. Let me know what you all think.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516139086

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ZobarStyl posted:

...basically an evil, murderous Jason Bourne...

I want this on my tombstone.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

KillHour posted:

Version 1 of my zone designator mod is published. Let me know what you all think.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516139086

that's very cool. I'm going to use it for a Yard/Canteen/Shower combo in my new prison.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
Does anybody have any tips for finding tunnels? I know they don't always appear in a shakedown, but I can't reliably pin them down for the life of me otherwise.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Autism posted:

Does anybody have any tips for finding tunnels? I know they don't always appear in a shakedown, but I can't reliably pin them down for the life of me otherwise.

1. Use 'Search Cellblock' (click on an item in a cell) during sleep time. This does not trigger the alarm that shakedown does.

2. Select a dog(or two or three) and have them move past an area where you think tunnels might be. If a bunch of flags come up, there's a good chance the nearby toilet has tunnels coming out of it. Uninstalling a toilet is a 100% guaranteed way of revealing a tunnel.

3. But like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I tend to do sweeps (either shakedowns or cellblock searches) if the 'tool' supply in the intelligence panel goes red. And of course have metal detectors literally everywhere (I know they can steal wood tools from the workshop but at least you can eliminate the metal ones)

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 12, 2015

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

1. Use 'Search Cellblock' (click on an item in a cell) during sleep time. This does not trigger the alarm that shakedown does.

2. Select a dog(or two or three) and have them move past an area where you think tunnels might be. If a bunch of flags come up, there's a good chance the nearby toilet has tunnels coming out of it. Uninstalling a toilet is a 100% guaranteed way of revealing a tunnel.

3. But like they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I tend to do sweeps (either shakedowns or cellblock searches) if the 'tool' supply in the intelligence panel goes red. And of course have metal detectors literally everywhere (I know they can steal wood tools from the workshop but at least you can eliminate the metal ones)

They've recently buffed the search success percentage on individual toilets, too. Cell Block Searches have a lower chance of success, so if you can narrow it down to a handful of cells you can just issue search orders on each individual toilets. I would also search cells (selecting the toilet for searching first, then the "search cell" button once the toilet has been searched) where you've got intel from CIs to contain tools such as pickaxes as well as spoons.

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 12, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Autism posted:

Use water pipes to encourage a preferred tunnel route. Put the big pipe in the outdoors and connect each cell to it via short small pipe. This helps you narrow down the tunnel origin.

Use the deployment scheduler. During the night disable all canteen/visitation/infirmary dogs and have them patrol over those outdoor pipes. Bonus points if big pipe goes thru kennel or if dogs have to cross the pipes on their way to their day jobs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also place your water pump, or water pumps, in the middle of the prison, so you don't have to lead pipes far out to the edge.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
There's something horrifying about watching the guards beat the poo poo out of a prisoner inside his cell, then leave him to lay there unconscious in a blood-soaked bed while a dog rushes into the cell and tears out the prisoner's throat, killing him before the handler can pull him off.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Cop Killer Federal Witness fucks up the game logic. My cops beat him unconscious, then the doctors can't get to him and nobody moves him and he has been lying in the canteen/restroom for 3 days. Doesn't die. Just lies there while the other PC inmates eat their meals over him and the guards and dog handlers patrol over him. And the cooks place food over him. And the janitors clean his blood and the bathroom area over him.

Fin.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

There's something horrifying about watching the guards beat the poo poo out of a prisoner inside his cell, then leave him to lay there unconscious in a blood-soaked bed while a dog rushes into the cell and tears out the prisoner's throat, killing him before the handler can pull him off.

I remember one of my early prisons that was going pretty well, until a janitor got murdered cleaning someone someones cell.

But I didn't have a morgue or anything, so the body sat there for a day, until the other janitor in the prison drug his dead coworker across the yard to the waiting hearse. I think I just quit after that and never went back to that terrible, terrible prison.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

I ended up filing a bug over this. I had to severely cut down on my dog patrols after losing literally 15-20 inmates a day for a drat week to dogs running to subdue a subdued prisoner and killing them before the handler could arrive.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

McGlockenshire posted:

I ended up filing a bug over this. I had to severely cut down on my dog patrols after losing literally 15-20 inmates a day for a drat week to dogs running to subdue a subdued prisoner and killing them before the handler could arrive.

:stare:

At that point you should just hang little tape recorders on their collars that repeat the words "I AM THE LAW" again and again and turn the dogs loose on the prison.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

:geno: This is why I'm always apprehensive about having dogs patrol my cell blocks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't, its really not worth the risk.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's pretty inefficient too IMO. Smelly contraband (drugs usually) are constantly traded so they often carry them out of their cells to the big meeting areas like the Yard and Canteen. So you're better off putting dogs there or better yet, checkpoints between your cellblocks and yard/canteen/visitation/whatever

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dogs are best used at intake points. Which, if you're doing the double-fence strategy, is basically Visitation, Deliveries, and the Infirmary. Heavily patrolling these areas will knock out almost all smelly contraband within minutes of intake, and in the case of Deliveries will eliminate it before it ever gets into inmate hands.

By the time you're talking about cell blocks there's so much stuff that could potentially be in there (including the ubiquitous pickaxe) that the only thing that's reasonable for keeping it 'clean' is rolling cell block searches that go on while the inmates are asleep.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really wish you could automate cell block searches. Ideally I like the idea of searching one cell block every day while the inmates are busy in a rotating order.

I just do shakedowns now because its easier and my max sec prisoners bring in so much cash that i can pretty much hire guards for them on a 1:1 ratio, but it'd be nice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do searches annoy prisoners less while they're asleep? I always tried to do them when the prisoners were eating/showering or otherwise not in their cells.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It still annoys the hell out of inmates to be searched unnecessarily, but they're asleep so acting on it is hard. Most inmates will forget about the transgression by the time they wake up, which is one of the big benefits to searching at night. Also it's not like your guards are doing anything else that's useful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Away all Goats posted:

It's pretty inefficient too IMO. Smelly contraband (drugs usually) are constantly traded so they often carry them out of their cells to the big meeting areas like the Yard and Canteen. So you're better off putting dogs there or better yet, checkpoints between your cellblocks and yard/canteen/visitation/whatever
Each of my canteens has a single entrance that passes through metal detectors and has a guard dog on patrol so they get sniffed. I've got similar checks between Bad Rooms Row (where the entrances to the psychologist's office and infirmary are) and on access to the workshops. Basically my philosophy is that certain rooms are never-ending fonts of contraband, and if you're going to or from that room you're gonna get checked. And since one of them is the canteen, that's a good opportunity to check everyone twice a day anyway. It's not perfect, but the only stuff I have real problems with are syringes and cellphones.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The full cell block searches take up too many guards for my liking. I have to pull in a CI or two every day after intake to find out if any of the new prisoners need to be moved to protected status, so I use that opportunity to find out which cells need searching.

CIs seem kinda broken at the moment. On the one hand they are omniscient once they get up to 100% coverage (only takes a few days) and can tell you exactly where every piece of contraband in your prison is at any moment, and if you really want to you can use the information they give you without any risk by just taking a note of where to search and deactivating them before you order the guards in. On the other hand they seem micromanage-y in a way that goes against how most of the rest of the game works. It's annoying to have to take manual action every in-game day just to make sure that your latest intake doesn't contain an extremely deadly ex-law enforcement snitch. I think CI recruiting should stay how it is but the process of 'activating' them needs to go away and maybe become some background system where you set a slider (where 0 is no information from CIs and 100 is they tell you everything and immediately get stabbed) and get a steady trickle of contraband reports and updates on new inmates.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
Am I stupid if I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the interface for timed deployments? I can't really tell what the gently caress is going on with regards to the slot selection on the bottom. The wiki's description doesn't help much, either.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Autism posted:

Am I stupid if I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the interface for timed deployments? I can't really tell what the gently caress is going on with regards to the slot selection on the bottom. The wiki's description doesn't help much, either.

No, it's a bad interface.

You click each time slot to set which deployment pattern is active in that slot (from default 0 to 7). Then you move the bar to a timeslot with that pattern to set up the deployment for that whole pattern.

I think the logic is you set up the deployment pattern for a specific time with the little bar, and all other times on the same pattern are changed in the same way. It would make a lot more sense to just set each deployment pattern independently from a specific time.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autism posted:

its a goddamn clusterfuck and the solution is overhiring guards and just leaving them stationed.

I have a question about shops, I have one between Max/SuperMax and PC but only PC can get to the entrance to work there so they staff it. The Shop fronts face out to each of the other deployment levels, but I've never seen a Max nor SuperMax prisoner buy anything nor those shop fronts manned (though they could be at some point). Is it because I have a smaller number of those type of prisoners or will they only buy from their own security levels?

Also, I've started playing with one central Canteen and using door timers to cordon off other security level types. The only drawback I've really run into is that the Canteen is a filthy mess with dirty trays everywhere because there's not enough time for the cooks to wash them between meals. The major benefit is that you have less staff needed and thus the framerate doesn't drop off as much when you hit 600 prisoners+.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tenebrais posted:

No, it's a bad interface.

You click each time slot to set which deployment pattern is active in that slot (from default 0 to 7). Then you move the bar to a timeslot with that pattern to set up the deployment for that whole pattern.

I think the logic is you set up the deployment pattern for a specific time with the little bar, and all other times on the same pattern are changed in the same way. It would make a lot more sense to just set each deployment pattern independently from a specific time.

Yeah it's pretty unintuitive. Took me a bit of trial and error and a few deaths to figure it out but it was worth learning. It's pretty nice way of maximizing guard coverage efficiency, particularly during work hours in rooms where just it doesn't make sense to have a guard stationed 24/7 like most workrooms (library, laundry, mail room, cleaning cupboard, shop, etc) But it is especially useful in parole hearing rooms since prisoners love attacking the parole hearing members.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 15, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy poo poo, either this game is impossible or I'm missing something.

Prisoners arrive faster than I can plot out sensible containment options, and it doesn't take long before they beat each other to dead in the holding cell :confused:

What am I doing wrong?

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 15, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Tias posted:

Holy poo poo, either this game is impossible or I'm missing something.

Prisoners arrive faster than I can plot out sensible containment options, and it doesn't take long before they beat each other to dead in the holding cell :confused:

What am I doing wrong?

You can set how many prisoners will arrive each day, and can even choose 0. I think the button is called Intake.

Tias
May 25, 2008

:doh:

Thanks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Don't worry, I did that for the first hour or so.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Danger level is low, but about 1/4 of my prisoners "have serious complaints". Can I see somewhere what their complaints relate to, or will I need a psychiatrist first?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tias posted:

Danger level is low, but about 1/4 of my prisoners "have serious complaints". Can I see somewhere what their complaints relate to, or will I need a psychiatrist first?

You'll need a psych to unlock the Needs tab in the status notebook.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

On a somewhat related note, where are research times represented in the game's files, if they are? I'm kind of itching to just reduce all research times to 1 hour, I'm loving sick of waiting for it to complete after the 50th prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Coolguye posted:

On a somewhat related note, where are research times represented in the game's files, if they are? I'm kind of itching to just reduce all research times to 1 hour, I'm loving sick of waiting for it to complete after the 50th prison.

You can do this by editing the save. It's a plain text file. Search for BEGIN Research to find research progress. The values in the indented section take a fractional value between 0 and 1. Set them all to 1.000000 as needed. Doing so is perfectly safe.

• Locked thread