Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

yes other companies claim they invented poo poo too
not sure how that refutes the original claim that apple claim to have invented all sorts of stuff

what i'm saying is that apple gets an unfair amount of negative attention for common (albeit evil) business practices. and it has little to do with the end product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

momerath posted:

what i'm saying is that apple gets an unfair amount of negative attention for common (albeit evil) business practices. and it has little to do with the end product

Apple should be burned to the ground, all employees in the west tortured and killed, all employees in the east freed, and any with more than two apple product in their home sterilized as an example for following the dumb.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

momerath posted:

are you a groundskeeper for a football stadium?

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

are you a groundskeeper for a football stadium?

no. i'm gay.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mooktastical posted:

If you want to complain about how disingenuous an argument is, it's best to not start with a false equivalency. There are no companies the size of Apple. Apple has 21x Sony's market cap. :cmon:

Yeah, this is a good point. I'm not sure how it changes anything, though. Difference in degree rather than kind. I just mean that you could argue that a small town mechanic is a company that might actually care about its customers, but it doesn't make sense for any massive tech multinational. Some companies may care about their customers, just not the kind of company of which Apple is one example.

quote:

You asked why it water resistance was a big deal, and I told you. That all tech companies are evil should be self evident, even if the only metric were to be labor practices or environmental impact. You and Zubaz both have now asked supposedly good-faith questions just to try to rationalize away the answers, and paint anyone that disagrees as a crazy person for not drinking the all-natural grape Flavor Aid. The market for water resistant phones is the entire smartphone market. Just because Apple hasn't started to implement it or claimed to have invented it yet, that doesn't mean that it's not a worthwhile feature for literally every phone sold since at least Q1 2013.

Apple sucks, and anyone that gives them more money sucks too, with the level of suckitude directly proportional to the amount of money changing hands. Sorry to burst your bubble, bro. If it's any consolation, and if you've got another $100 handy, I hear they're getting into the marital aid business. :lol:

SoT is the only meaningful metric when discussing battery life, IMHO.

I don't think you're crazy and I'm not arguing with you on the waterproof usefulness point, but customer attachment to that feature. It would be cool to have a waterproof phone even though I've never lost one to water damage. You should treat these things like $800 sugar cubes and if that bugs you, wrap it in one of those cases or buy something that won't bother you.

It's not like Apple operates outside of regular economics just because they're large, if there was a demand for a feature to such an extent that it cost them more money than implementing the feature, they would implement that feature. Since they haven't, and are still successful, obviously it's not as significant as some people seem to think, much like removable batteries, reasonably priced storage, physical keyboards, etc.

Wanting all or some of these things is a good reason to not buy an iPhone, whether Apple loves you more than Google is not. Don't be emotionally attached to corporations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
haters itt are the same people who can't help but make dick jokes when a cool & successful dude drives by in a porsche before they finish their cigarette and go back to their mall kiosk

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

momerath posted:

so they never claimed to invent anything is what you're telling me

I never asserted that they did and tried to explain where that attitude might come from. Go jerk off because you're sticking your dick in the face of people who weren't asking for it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

haters itt are the same people who can't help but make dick jokes when a cool & successful dude drives by in a porsche before they finish their cigarette and go back to their mall kiosk

quote:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

momerath posted:

Can you tell us how a "fair" coverage of Apple's business practices should look like?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

midnightclimax posted:

Can you tell us how a "fair" coverage of Apple's business practices should look like?

Just ignore the slave labor and the company's lack of innovation since their evil leader died.

See? That was easy.

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

midnightclimax posted:

maybe don't vilify more than other products it because it's hip and cool

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

midnightclimax posted:

Maybe just replace the mentions of Apple with "capitalism" and "corporations" where appropriate so that we can discard the destructive myth of conscious consumption?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

momerath posted:

maybe don't vilify more than other products it because it's hip and cool

Are you sending this advice back to 2010 via time travel

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm happy with my S5; does everything I need it to and quickly unlike the 3 year old Motorola Droid HD Maxx (great battery life but it was past its prime) I jumped off of

But man this thing looks really plasticy and cheap- other person had it for a year and the fake metallic coating they put on the plastic bezel is already starting to flake off in places

It's great but it looks like a cheap piece of crap, unlike apple products which look great and function great

Would have wound up paying a bit more for an equivalent apple phone, though

In the end it's your choice really but I can't help but roll my eyes at apple's sorta kinda messiah complex. Doesn't have anything to do with their product quality, on the other hand

PHONES

THE PHONES, GUYS

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol if you dont have the most expensive phone to post on facebook at work and play crossy road on the toilet

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Are Macs used for anything other than CGI movies and posing?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Well, since that image is going with the hard-on collider as its metric for non-childishness, you can see that quite a few of the "most brilliant scientists in the world" seem to choose some kind of MacBook for themselves when they're not shackled to the linux shitshow that runs their experiments. They seem to be doing work things with them too!

Just watch the trailer, Apple all over this movie: http://particlefever.com

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

Well, since that image is going with the hard-on collider as its metric for non-childishness, you can see that quite a few of the "most brilliant scientists in the world" seem to choose some kind of MacBook for themselves when they're not shackled to the linux shitshow that runs their experiments. They seem to be doing work things with them too!

only because academic discounts actually drive the hardware into a reasonable pricerange

like smart people would ever pay full retail for that trash. lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

I don't see you denying about being posers.

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

The Goatfather posted:

only because academic discounts actually drive the hardware into a reasonable pricerange

like smart people would ever pay full retail for that trash. lol

but they could have still bought the inferiors

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

engineers I know always complain when they get to work or to a lab and have to use the lovely windows computers instead of their macbook pros. in the year 2015 enterprises are finally becoming mac based. IBM is completing a full switch to macbook pros. bootcamp works 100% now, there's absolutely no reason you can't have both OSs on your mac. RIP LENOVO PIECES OF CHINESE SPY DOGSHIT

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would say if money was absolutely no problem (as in I can just spend this money it's not even mine or something so I don't care) then yeah mac laptop

divorced from any cost issues I think they're almost unquestionably the best

dual-boot it and they're the ultimate laptop

here's the thing though- even if you can handily afford it is the money you spend on it still worth it to you? For many people yeah it is but that's not everyone.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ethanol posted:

engineers I know always complain when they get to work or to a lab and have to use the lovely windows computers instead of their macbook pros. in the year 2015 enterprises are finally becoming mac based. IBM is completing a full switch to macbook pros. bootcamp works 100% now, there's absolutely no reason you can't have both OSs on your mac. RIP LENOVO PIECES OF CHINESE SPY DOGSHIT

the only reason you cant do the same thing with osx on any superior windows or linux pc/laptop is that apple's lawyers made this a license violation, had their engineers put artificial roadblocks in the way and will sue any company that facilitates it :haw:. It's totally legal though to virtualize OSX on an apple host which totally defeats one of the core benefits of virtualization

why do with quality and design what you can do with lawyers

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

the only reason you cant do the same thing with osx on any superior windows or linux pc/laptop is that apple's lawyers made this a license violation, had their engineers put artificial roadblocks in the way and will sue any company that facilitates it :haw:. It's totally legal though to virtualize OSX on an apple host which totally defeats one of the core benefits of virtualization

why do with quality and design what you can do with lawyers

yeah that's because all the non apple hardware is loving dogshit and apple doesn't want to deal with you making up problems that are purely because of your dogshit hardware human being

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ethanol posted:

yeah that's because all the non apple hardware is loving dogshit and apple doesn't want to deal with you making up problems that are purely because of your dogshit hardware human being

the hardware is literally the same except for the aesthetic bits you loving idiot

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
loma @ nerds not submitting to the god steve jobs

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

the hardware is literally the same except for the aesthetic bits you loving idiot

yeah that must be why every pc video game thread during launch is a bunch of idiot goons complaining about their driver problems

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ethanol posted:

yeah that must be why every pc video game thread during launch is a bunch of idiot goons complaining about their driver problems

You pulled this from the 1998 troll handbook didn't you? This argument feels older than I am and I'm not that young.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Can Mac's play Quake 3 yet?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Goatfather posted:

lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has the "macs don't run games" thing become untrue yet? There are some releases for mac OS but I feel like most games come out for windows and the mac treatment is a special second consideration if it happens

of course not really an issue if you dual-boot but still

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
if u want to be a gamer turd go PC for sure

if u want cool fun computers for work and play go mac

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Buy a console and then play the one pc exclusive you like on your 15 rmbp imo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Different machines have different use cases. Outfitting a command control room like that with Apple hardware would be pointlessly expensive furthermore none of apples products are designed for that type of usage. Theyre high quality appliance machines used for common personal computing. Hth

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

thathonkey posted:

Different machines have different use cases. Outfitting a command control room like that with Apple hardware would be pointlessly expensive furthermore none of apples products are designed for that type of usage. Theyre high quality appliance machines used for common personal computing. Hth

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
apple.... it's good

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
the only two reasons to buy a pc are if you wanna play games or if you're poor, and neither of those things are cool.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah i was just looking for the last photo I saw of NASA using macbook pros lmbo and it wasn't even this one

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Look at the conformity here in this pic.
loving cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Necc0 posted:

apple.... it's good

APPLE BAD!!!

• Locked thread