Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

How many books do you guys read at a time? I normally just have one fiction and one non-fiction book on my bedside table. Lots of people will have a stack of stuff they are currently reading but I don't really get it, if they're all non-fiction it makes sense but to follow multiple narratives at once seems a bit funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I used to only read one book at a time but now I tend to have two going. I don't make any distinction for fiction/non-fiction for either, just whatever two I happen to be reading.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

krampster2 posted:

but to follow multiple narratives at once seems a bit funny to me.

Do you watch only one TV show at a time until it has concluded?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Ceebees posted:

Forget pretension about imagination and mental exercise, you read a book instead of twitter because 140 characters isn't enough space to say anything worth saying. People's "views and opinions"? You're lucky to get a less than one dimensional caricature of a real opinion. Advocate for facebook, for texts, for loving omegle, but twitter is irredeemable poo poo. It's the 'literary' equivalent of trying to communicate with notes tied to bricks - the absolute best case still leaves you with all your windows smashed.

Or to compress all that down to a tweet: " No u"

"Brevity is the soul of wit" - Jon @fart Hendren

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Besides we all know what the true thinking man's medium is in these modern times.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

blue squares posted:

Do you watch only one TV show at a time until it has concluded?

Not really I pretty much only watch Game of Thrones.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I read about six at any one time

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I usually can manage 3-5.

Right now I'm concurrently reading a short story collection (of SF/F/Weird Western stories), a non-fiction book (Bill Bryson), two SF novels that are sufficiently different so I don't get plots/characters mixed up (Aurora by KSR vs. Brightness Reef by Brin) and a fantasy novel (Robin Hobb). It's easy to manage them all, because the plots and writing styles are very different.

The only problem is get so engrossed in 1-2 of them that I only pick up the others every couple of weeks. So some books I get through in like 10 days, others in a few months.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 8, 2015

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

The only problem is get so engrossed in 1-2 of them that I only pick up the others every couple of weeks.

Yeah that's why I don't read to many at once. I don't want to lose a plot and forget what's happening, then every time I pick up the book have to go over everything in my head before I begin reading.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I used to read more books in parallel but these days I read in series. I rarely have more than one book going at a time, maybe two if one is a "bathroom reader" type book, maybe one hardback and one book on kindle. This is largely because it's rare that a single book is going to last me more than a few hours anyway.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Considering most books take me 3-5 days I do not usually need to read more than one at a time

I tried experimenting with it at one point but it never really clicked for me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's usually between 1-3 books for me.

All different genres. It just depends on what mood I am in as to what I want to read at the moment. Somedays I don't feel like fantasy so I'll flip over to a sci fi book, or if that doesn't scratch the itch I'll swing over to a horror book or a comedy book. It varies, with no real pattern.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's usually between 1-3 books for me.

All different genres. It just depends on what mood I am in as to what I want to read at the moment. Somedays I don't feel like fantasy so I'll flip over to a sci fi book, or if that doesn't scratch the itch I'll swing over to a horror book or a comedy book. It varies, with no real pattern.

I can see a pattern.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!
Any recommendations for books about/touching on bullfighting? After reading Death In The Afternoon I've become fascinated by the emotion the spectacle provokes, and by the connected psychology of the matador and the crowd.

I did find A.L.Kennedy's On Bullfighting in my local bookstore, having previously read her novel Day (which was an excellent, numbingly emotional read). However, I had mixed feelings. While the book had sparks of brilliance and really very truthful writing, I found myself repelled by her self-pity. A writer can put themselves and their pain into their work without this kind of public wallowing...? It's a real shame, as it dampened for me an otherwise interesting, energetic read about an unusual topic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Sun Also Rises?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Is that the Hemingway story? The Sun Also Rises? I forgot the title but I read a really good story by Hemingway about a Toreador. Hemingway's documentary style works really well with things like that. Def recommended.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Behemuff posted:

Any recommendations for books about/touching on bullfighting? After reading Death In The Afternoon I've become fascinated by the emotion the spectacle provokes, and by the connected psychology of the matador and the crowd.

I did find A.L.Kennedy's On Bullfighting in my local bookstore, having previously read her novel Day (which was an excellent, numbingly emotional read). However, I had mixed feelings. While the book had sparks of brilliance and really very truthful writing, I found myself repelled by her self-pity. A writer can put themselves and their pain into their work without this kind of public wallowing...? It's a real shame, as it dampened for me an otherwise interesting, energetic read about an unusual topic.

Oh, and this is the book I was trying to remember:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/442515.Or_I_ll_Dress_You_in_Mourning

Haven't read it myself but I've always heard it well-recommended.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's always weird when you buy used books and there's an inscription for someone else in there. One I got yesterday was dated 2010, jackass didn't even hang onto it for 5 years, if that long.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Casimir Radon posted:

It's always weird when you buy used books and there's an inscription for someone else in there. One I got yesterday was dated 2010, jackass didn't even hang onto it for 5 years, if that long.

To me those are a plus. Book's got provenance. Aunt Jan wishes you the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I started a collection of pictures that were left in books bought at a thrift store. They are surreal in the best way.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I buy a lot of used books, and one of the places I got them from consistently had handwritten recipe file cards put into them as bookmarks. Like they just put whatever reasonably sized paper in there, and for some reason they had a pile of recipes that some grandmother wrote down. It was fantastic. Sadly they appear to have run out, lately it's just been blank paper :/

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Weirdest thing I've ever found was an (apparently unwanted?) love letter in a library book. It was in a still sealed envelope. Inside it was a card with a message signed with a girl's name saying she couldn't wait to see whomever it was written to. It even included a picture of her sat in a window.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, and this is the book I was trying to remember:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/442515.Or_I_ll_Dress_You_in_Mourning

Haven't read it myself but I've always heard it well-recommended.

Ah this looks perfect! I've been thinking about reading more into the Spanish Civil War as well, so this should scratch two itches.
I should have mentioned that I've already read everything by Hemingway :blush: But thanks for the recommendations guys.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Since there's still no airport fiction thread...

I'm reading Seven World Wonders by Reilly and it is pretty fun. I get the impression he's cracking himself up while writing, because sometimes he has a few too many exclamaition marks, as if he's holding the page up to a friend and going "Isn't this awesome!". I've no idea how realistic or accurate any of the egyptian technology is but it's fun to imagine it's just one step beyond what was real.

That might make for a good followup book though, if anyone knows of a not too-dry nonfiction book about the bronze age technology and culture relations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
On the topic of trash reading, is there any kind of thread for Bernard Cornwell/Christian Cameron/Conn Iggulden type historical literature? You know, the sort that's theoretically about a historical event, but is mostly 200 pages of people getting killed by axes under slightly different circumstances? Could such a thread be made?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Yup, Ian Ross with Twilight of Empire series and David Gilman with Master of War series.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just finished reading almost every Eric Ambler novel that I could find in print, though there are still a couple I'm missing.

For an author as formulaic as he was, the quality was consistently very high, I was always entertained and interested and often surprised - especially with his post-war books. In fact the only book of his that I'd say doesn't really work is Send No More Roses (also called Siege of Villa Lipp) which is the only one I've read that doesn't follow his usual formula.

If you haven't read Ambler and you enjoy John LeCarre or Len Deighton, definitely check him out as from what I understand, he pretty much invented that style.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 15, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I love authors who've nailed their formula so perfectly that, even though you can guess every beat of the story about 4 pages in, you still can't stop reading. Maclean does that for me.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Snowman_McK posted:

I love authors who've nailed their formula so perfectly that, even though you can guess every beat of the story about 4 pages in, you still can't stop reading. Maclean does that for me.

What? This sort of book... makes me conflicted.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Paper With Lines posted:

What? This sort of book... makes me conflicted.

It's trash, but the good kind.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The formulaic books I was talking about (Eric Ambler's) are not at all the kind where you can predict the whole plot from the beginning, I just meant that they all start out with the same kind of setup. Many of them are fairly unpredictable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Oh, turns out I had nothing to contribute after all. Sorry, guys :smith:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Amazon managed to break the Kindle Book Browser layout on their iPad app somehow, it's basically impossible to actually browse books from it now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jonathan Franzen is pretty fun and funny IRL. He read a section of purity that was hilarious and involved people loving while straddling a thermonuclear bomb. I asked him, during the Q&A, if that was in any way an homage to Tyrone Slothrop in Gravity's Rainbow. He said he doesn't do homages, talked up GR a bit, then said "Pynchon wasn't the first one to notice what a rocket looks like," which got a huge laugh.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Reminds me more of Dr Stranglelove.

E: in typo veritas.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
My parents have a couple of Solzhenitsyn books that have the same red covers with the titles written in pen on the spine. They look like and advance copies, but no-one knows anything about where they came from. Has anyone done across this sort is printing before? I'll try to get some pics next time I'm up there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fliptophead posted:

My parents have a couple of Solzhenitsyn books that have the same red covers with the titles written in pen on the spine. They look like and advance copies, but no-one knows anything about where they came from. Has anyone done across this sort is printing before? I'll try to get some pics next time I'm up there.

In English or Russian?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Ras Het posted:

In English or Russian?

English

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I moved to West Africa to do development work, and at least part of the time will be in rural areas where I don't have internet and don't want to wear down the batteries on my phone reading the Kindle app. So I'm encountering one of those increasingly-rare modern circumstances where cheap books on paper are suddenly really useful again. So what's the current good way to get a hold of a number of cheap new paperbacks in a compact format for classics?

I've bought the Dover Thrift Editions frequently in the past for deployments, those are a little taller/wider than standard paperbacks but very slim, and run as low as $1 new on Amazon, so those are pretty cool. Is there any cheaper way to buy those in decent numbers other than just scouring Amazon for whichever ones are $1 today?

Back in the 1990s when I did NGO work, there was some other relatively established publisher that had a number of books of classic short stories and poetry, in paperback books with relatively sturdy covers that were between the size of a deck of cards and a regular paperback and really slim, similar to the City Lights pocket poetry books but slightly smaller, really inexpensive though sturdy, with a yellow/cream cover framing the cover image. I really wish I could find just one of those somewhere in the house so I could figure out if they're still printed.

Any overall suggestions on how best to get paperback books (but with sturdy covers) of classical stories/poems/plays of literally pocket-size, reasonably cheaply, and without having to scour eBay to buy used copies individually over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I moved to West Africa to do development work, and at least part of the time will be in rural areas where I don't have internet and don't want to wear down the batteries on my phone reading the Kindle app. So I'm encountering one of those increasingly-rare modern circumstances where cheap books on paper are suddenly really useful again. So what's the current good way to get a hold of a number of cheap new paperbacks in a compact format for classics?

I've bought the Dover Thrift Editions frequently in the past for deployments, those are a little taller/wider than standard paperbacks but very slim, and run as low as $1 new on Amazon, so those are pretty cool. Is there any cheaper way to buy those in decent numbers other than just scouring Amazon for whichever ones are $1 today?

Back in the 1990s when I did NGO work, there was some other relatively established publisher that had a number of books of classic short stories and poetry, in paperback books with relatively sturdy covers that were between the size of a deck of cards and a regular paperback and really slim, similar to the City Lights pocket poetry books but slightly smaller, really inexpensive though sturdy, with a yellow/cream cover framing the cover image. I really wish I could find just one of those somewhere in the house so I could figure out if they're still printed.

Any overall suggestions on how best to get paperback books (but with sturdy covers) of classical stories/poems/plays of literally pocket-size, reasonably cheaply, and without having to scour eBay to buy used copies individually over time?

Get an actual Kindle. The batteries last for weeks. You can get books instantly from the internet.