Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Amethyst posted:

Remember the last time he was kicked out of the leadership was partially because he refused to compromise on climate change. Yeah. He's had a bit of cynical "pragmatism" hammered into him.

It's not ~pragmatism~ so much as he genuinely believes he can make these commitments and then just break them when it suits him because noone will be able to out-argue him. That's his MO for pretty much everything - do whatever, verbally dismantle anyone who complains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Kommando posted:

On what issues

https://twitter.com/AnnaVidot/status/643660951040868353

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Peccadillo posted:

Corbyn needs to commit one of the 19 transportable crimes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Anyone who expected Turnbull to be any different was completely kidding themselves.

The joy of the last 24 hours was entirely in seeing Abbott be completely humiliated.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

HookShot posted:

The joy of the last 24 hours was entirely in seeing Abbott be completely humiliated.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ok so the nats crossed the floor on this

https://theconversation.com/explainer-what-is-the-competition-effects-test-39424

Basically, the reform makes it easier to establish anti-competitive misconduct in court. Looks like it isn't getting through though, since Labor doesn't support it either. Making this purely symbolic

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Abbott didn't cry or vibrate himself through the floor or any of that bullshit. I feel robbed.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Tanya Plibersek is ripping into the Libs in question time right now. She called him a hollow man and "that came from Jeff Kennett" and the right erupted

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

So basically Malcolm Turnbull became PM on the condition that he has to be Tony Abbott.

They wanted better salesmen, not better products.

It'll be interesting to see if Turnbull's office is easier to work with than Abbott's.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I predict the next set of polls to be 52-48 to the LNP

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

I predict the next set of polls to be 52-48 to the LNP

Dead Abbott Bounce?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Eh, from what I saw in question time labor are in serious trouble. Turnbull handled them easily.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
turnbul will savagely pwn shorten with no mercy all the time :(

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

You lot may be placing greater emphasis on the effect of question time than the rest of the population.

Remember, the real cut through messaging is whatever gets shared virally, or goes out on established communications channels. The viral stuff is moreso going to be negative or bizarre or hilarious than necessarily "hey check out this guy he's so great ilu mal".

So chill a bit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

turnbul will savagely pwn shorten with no mercy all the time :(

So does a dog of below average intelligence.

So does a block of not very good cheese.

gently caress, Shorten could debate against a beige wall and come off like he got schooled.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hooman posted:

So does a dog of below average intelligence.

So does a block of not very good cheese.

gently caress, Shorten could debate against a beige wall and come off like he got schooled.

thats what im saying. such is bill shortens intellectual dwarfism that even when hes in the right hell still lose in the face of malcolm turnbull's finely honed pwn tones

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Les Affaires posted:

You lot may be placing greater emphasis on the effect of question time than the rest of the population.

Remember, the real cut through messaging is whatever gets shared virally, or goes out on established communications channels. The viral stuff is moreso going to be negative or bizarre or hilarious than necessarily "hey check out this guy he's so great ilu mal".

So chill a bit.

They (everyone, including the basket-weaving twitterati) already decided Shorten is a dud, though? Like, the circumstances are just as spurious as the ones that led to people insisting Abbott was privately a deep thinker who would grow into the mantle of PM, but they're out there and they aren't going to change.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

hooman posted:

The wall, by virtue of saying nothing, would automatically be smarter than Shorten.

Anyway, as much as I want Labor to win, I'd almost prefer them to lose if they can't come up with anything but opposition to a few Coalition policies. Part of Abbott's ruin, apart from him being a world class piece of scum, was that he had no mandate to do anything. We need to stop having PMs who get into power like this so we can have governments who can do things. So, hopefully Shorten gets knifed and Labor picks someone who moves away from the small target strategy to picking a position, accepting not everyone is going to like it, and arguing for it from an ideological position. I reckon that will beat a Turnbull who half the time is arguing things he doesn't even believe in.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Oh my is it time for Labor's telegenic female deputy leader to knife the boring and unpopular leader again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The idea that shorten is a dud is fairly well evidenced by every moment of his existence both individually and as a body of work

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The idea that shorten is a dud is fairly well evidenced by every moment of his existence both individually and as a body of work

Not to mention him actively loving over union members in exchange for donations from business while he was a union leader.

I mean if there's anyone who you don't want in charge of your country it is someone who does that.

Tony Abbott is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the Liberal Party.

Bill Shorten is exactly that to the Labor Party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Shorten is essentially hosed and Turnbull knows this which is why a spill was pretty much the perfect move for the LNP.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Like fine, we are now the Labah Party but we look better on Camera, your move, Bill.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Turnbull is a very effective shouty man in parliament where Shorten is less animated. That said I didn't think Turnbull had an especially good QT because all the issues around him are still there no matter how much he shouts in the chamber.

I am not defending Shorten at all but unless Turnbull can change LNP policy what really is the point. I know this thread is maximum doom and gloom but it was the 2014 budget that destroyed the libs in the polls and Turnbull is on the record agreeing with that. Labor can still run a campaign on medicare and education which is going to be difficult for the lnp to deal with.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
All I ask for is that Bill Shorten mysteriously disappear and is never seen or heard from ever again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Turnbull is a very effective shouty man in parliament where Shorten is less animated. That said I didn't think Turnbull had an especially good QT because all the issues around him are still there no matter how much he shouts in the chamber.

I am not defending Shorten at all but unless Turnbull can change LNP policy what really is the point. I know this thread is maximum doom and gloom but it was the 2014 budget that destroyed the libs in the polls and Turnbull is on the record agreeing with that. Labor can still run a campaign on medicare and education which is going to be difficult for the lnp to deal with.

I don't think Turnbull can beat Shorten at an election, I think Tony has sufficiently poisoned the well that the LNP is hosed. I'm dark at Shorten for being poo poo in his own right and for being in favor of eroding civil rights, jumping into wars and torturing refugees to chase votes.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Yeah but Bill Shorten looks a bit like Jack Nicholson with a forehead implant whereas MT looks like an artists impression of successful white male

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

hooman posted:

I don't think Turnbull can beat Shorten at an election, I think Tony has sufficiently poisoned the well that the LNP is hosed. I'm dark at Shorten for being poo poo in his own right and for being in favor of eroding civil rights, jumping into wars and torturing refugees to chase votes.

Yes Shorten has been horrific especially with such a bad government. Labor are famously cowardly but Shorten is especially easy to scare. He has a history of a sellout and is the best argument for the Greens that exists. I am quite fond of my local (alp) member but I am almost certainly going to vote greens because of all the stuff you said.

I think my point was more that at the end of the day dynamic personalities don't matter too much. JWH was a better performer than Shorten certainly but weaker than some of the Labor guys he came up against and he still won a million elections.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Next budget will be soft and everyone will forget all about the last two. Turnbull's gonna win.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

Yeah but Bill Shorten looks a bit like Jack Nicholson with a forehead implant whereas MT looks like an artists impression of successful white male

Shorten needs a moustache.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

JWH?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shorten needs a moustache.

Christ, he looks like a dirty loving cop from the 70's.

Fitting.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So who can knife Shorten and take over pronto?

Tanya? Albo? Di Natale?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Howard

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Schlesische posted:

So who can knife Shorten and take over pronto?

Tanya? Albo? Di Natale?

Has to be Tanya. She just can't do it by herself.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Also, paradoxically the new Labor rule that Rudd brought in making it harder to depose the leader has had the effect of ensuring they are stuck with a lovely leader for longer, therefore allowing the LNP additional time to grind him into the dust before they make the switch.

They will make the switch, but only once it's obvious that they won't have a chance with Bill at the ballot box. It either happens in the next six months, or they will go to the election with him, lose horribly, and he will resign to leave President Plibersek to rule over us with her irony fist from 2019 to 2039.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Digiwizzard posted:

All I ask for is that Bill Shorten mysteriously disappear and is never seen or heard from ever again.

Bilb Sporten returned to his home planet.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

The Abbott Government did have achievements and, in time, the three free trade agreements will stand out like beacons, underpinning prosperity and employment for millions in the years that lie ahead.

[isuhlmannstillshit.gif]

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Did you guys forget what happened at the Labor Conference? Plibersek is just as much as a sellout as Shorten, she sold her own faction to him and Albo was having fits of rage behind the scenes. Plibersek lost all goodwill and the only type of leader she will be is one that has the same policy shackles as Julia Gillard had from the ALP Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Les Affaires posted:

Has to be Tanya. She just can't do it by herself.

What, just because she's a woman means she can't knife Shorten on her own. Sexist pig.

• Locked thread