Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I feel slightly embarrassed about how much I like my Aygo. I've been looking at upgrading to one with aircon.

I took mine to France a few weeks back and did 130/80mph for 8 hours each way (you have to drop to 70 up big hills if you get balked by someone and lose the revs).
You can get 3rd part cruise control kits for them. i'm tempted.
Small, basic, but competent cars are great.

Tomarse posted:

Anybody else in the UK - If I buy a Cat C write off that comes with no V5 (which seems legit - looks like you have to get a VIC test to get it back). How do I buy road tax on it to drive it home?
I don't think you can. Once you get the VIC test, you can tax it, but I don't think you can before.

However, don't forget you can drive an untaxed car to a pre-booked MOT (and to a pre-booked VIC test, as it happens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

mariooncrack posted:

I think he tried to sell the car. I'm pretty sure someone find the link to his reddit thread and he stopped posting on it too.

Found his reddit thread :

https://www.reddit.com/r/300zx/comments/2vjr2p/whyyyyy_a_story_of_an_awesome_300zx_crippled_by/

You guys mailed him tools?!? How do I get in on this free tool scam?

I have an automatic Nissan Frontier.

I cannot drive automatic.

Please send me a Snap-On YA180 Brake Lathe.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MustardFacial posted:

Needle nose pliers make the best staple removers
I ripped up the carpet in my room on sunday because it was old and dirty. After I pulled it out I had to get on my knees to remove the staples with some pliers and immediately regretted not having carpet to kneel on. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Still playing catchup.

Tusen Takk posted:

Dont post in FYAD

I shouldn't admin that I think I know who that character is, should I?

Adiabatic posted:

My sister is up to at least $50k for a wedding with 150 people. Her dress alone was $8k I think. It's this weekend, and everyone's super stressed out and I'm just eating popcorn from the sidelines.

But it's worth it - it a once-in-a-lifetime thing! (because you'll be paying it off the rest of your life and won't be able to afford anything else...)

Rhyno posted:

Nope. Born and bread in a hillbilly town in Indiana.

Oh, well South Africa is a step up then.

Elmnt80 posted:

Help, the people at the table next to me are bitching about basic algebra, converting metric and chemistry classes in high schools. I can't think of a day (that I do something other than sit around in my boxers) where I don't wind up using something related to at least one of those things. :|

No poo poo. I use most of the stuff I learned about in school, maybe not every day, but often enough. I suppose I don't use Calculus and Diff. Eq. too much, but that's because I failed to finish my engineering degree. Most of the math and science comes in handy fo the stuff I work and play with. But I'm a nerd, so whatever.

Geoj posted:

Yeah, we figured it was just for family of the bride & groom, but then when we went to dinner at the restaurant across the parking lot from the hotel and ran into his parents, sister & family it all clicked.

Never got a thank you letter in the mail for the $200 worth of wedding presents either. But as a consolation prize a mutual friend and I both got death threat letters (not even joking, she literally wrote "if I ever see you again I will cut you like a pig and gut you like a fish") in the mail from his bitch wife about two months later because we "ruined her wedding" by asking the wedding planner if we could do a toast at the 45 minute long church social hour that everyone was allowed to attend immediately following the ceremony. Didn't actually do it - we just asked and accepted the "no, that's not in the plans" answer and apparently the wedding planner was a close friend of the family and was greatly offended that we would even ask.

Wow. Just... wow. I'd have sent a copy of that back to the groom, myself. What a winner he picked.

some texas redneck posted:

When a $35 consumer-grade router can handle DHCP for 20 devices (we have about that many in the house), and an enterprise DC can't, you have issues. :colbert: Good thing it was a test.

I'm not a network guy, and not involved in that part of the system or test, so I really can't comment. I also don't hold a very high opinion of our network team, either, but that's beside the point (maybe.)

some texas redneck posted:

I've never dated anyone - male or female (and I've had more girlfriends than the average gay guy [3]) - that wouldn't wear sneakers.

If you're not comfortable in Chucks, a t-shirt, and shorts, you're too haughty for me - guy or girl. I absolutely refuse to date anyone who considers "dress shirt" to be worn outside of work.

(probably explains why I'm forever alone, but I'm most comfortable in a tank top and shorts, coupled with either sandals or skate shoes)

It was a parody of the text in the article, but yeah, people that wear dress shirts and nice, expensive shoes all the time are too uptight for me. Gotta wear sneaks or work boots sometime... unless you're down to get your fancy clothes diirty while working on stuff or doing yardwork.

mariooncrack posted:

I think he tried to sell the car. I'm pretty sure someone find the link to his reddit thread and he stopped posting on it too.

Found his reddit thread :

https://www.reddit.com/r/300zx/comments/2vjr2p/whyyyyy_a_story_of_an_awesome_300zx_crippled_by/

i love the fact that the highest upvoted comment is Kastein.

I kind of wish someone with a little skill and motivation would get hold of that Z31, though, it's not hopeless, and looks pretty good.

edit:

MustardFacial posted:

You guys mailed him tools?!? How do I get in on this free tool scam?

I have an automatic Nissan Frontier.

I cannot drive automatic.

Please send me a Snap-On YA180 Brake Lathe.

This is brilliant!
Wish I'd have thought of it.
Um... I have a little rust on my Cutlass. Can someone mail me a MIG welder? And some sheet steel, maybe? Oh, it won't shift out of first, so maybe a 200-4R, or a 5-speed conversion, too, please. Thanks!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 15, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I switched to a UniFi AP, connected to whatever flavor of gigabit router with DD-WRT installed with the stock WiFi radio disabled. Haven't had any issues, and disabling the onboard WiFi on the router greatly reduces heat and increases stability. The UniFi AP is rock-loving-solid and has an excellent range, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

I switched to a UniFi AP, connected to whatever flavor of gigabit router with DD-WRT installed with the stock WiFi radio disabled. Haven't had any issues, and disabling the onboard WiFi on the router greatly reduces heat and increases stability. The UniFi AP is rock-loving-solid and has an excellent range, too.

I think I'm going to get one of those myself. heard good things from here and elsewhere. I also like that you can park it wherever there's an Ethernet jack, thanks to the POE.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

corn in the fridge posted:

lol if someone ever really pisses me off on this forum i hope they go to reddit so i can follow them and continue to have meltdowns whenever they post

B..B..BUUT I'M AT REDDDDITTTTTT!!!! :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

UniFi APs made me do a 180 on my opinion of wifi. As a sysadmin, I generally hate wifi because it creates more tickets than it prevents, but these things are so damned good I bought one of the B/G ~$60 ones for home. The plan is to get another for the basement as the signal is juuuuuuust weak enough to cause buffering pauses when watching 1080p streams from the media server upstairs (720p is smooth, though).

NERDS!!

Darchangel posted:

I think I'm going to get one of those myself. heard good things from here and elsewhere. I also like that you can park it wherever there's an Ethernet jack, thanks to the POE.
This is true and fantastic.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yep, rained in socal :v:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Small, basic, but competent cars are great.

I don't think you can. Once you get the VIC test, you can tax it, but I don't think you can before.

However, don't forget you can drive an untaxed car to a pre-booked MOT (and to a pre-booked VIC test, as it happens).

Yeah, I usually book an mot test for any new purchases at my local garage as they are nice and will let me reschedule at the last minute.

I am assuming that I can't book an mot for a cat c though? The vic test centre is nowhere near home and would cost me £45

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

drat, that's worse than Phoenix when it rains!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

drat, that's worse than Phoenix when it rains!

It was bonkers. At one point we went out and looked at I5 (runs next to where I work) and could see four wrecks within half a mile.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I shouldn't admin that I think I know who that character is, should I?

if you do the punishment is buying me a new avatar :)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Haha yeah, my friend was driving to work on the freeway (110N) early morning during the heaviest rain. He said the entire fast lane was flooded and empty, with everyone poking along terrified in the right lanes. He threw on 4wd in his truck and mobbed past everyone, watching sedans pull in behind him and immediately start hydroplaning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, I usually book an mot test for any new purchases at my local garage as they are nice and will let me reschedule at the last minute.

I am assuming that I can't book an mot for a cat c though? The vic test centre is nowhere near home and would cost me £45
Well, if you don't want to trailer it to the VIC, it needs an MOT to drive it there, so logically yes.

Have you confirmed that it definitely has a VIC marker on it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
somebody buy me the forza 6 xbox please.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh god I finally clicked on the view post thing and this is amazing. MBR.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iwentdoodie posted:

ahahah this is almost as good as that Mad Max scene from The Time North Carolina Got Like, Totally, 2.45 Inches Of Snow

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

iwentdoodie posted:

I noticed a poo poo load of accidents there earlier and wondered what the gently caress was going on. Rain explains it all, that's amazing.

Looks like the Porsche Rennsport Revival is taking place while I'm in CA. Might have to spend a day at Leguna Seca looking at cars. http://porscherennsportreunion.com/

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

I feel slightly embarrassed about how much I like my Aygo. I've been looking at upgrading to one with aircon.

I wouldn't. I've never driven one and not enjoyed it, and I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've raved about them in AI. In my mind they are as good an example of a vehicle being perfectly fit for purpose as any celebrated enthusiast car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

_
ahahah this is almost as good as that Mad Max scene from The Time North Carolina Got Like, Totally, 2.45 Inches Of Snow

Socal in the rain is basically thunderdome.

My morning started out with me watching a suburban (4x4, naturally) sliding through an intersection because it was currently drizzling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CharlesM posted:

I preorded one. I've only preordered something on Amazon once before. It says it'll get here some time next week. Is that conservative or accurate?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iwentdoodie posted:

Socal in the rain is basically thunderdome.

My morning started out with me watching a suburban (4x4, naturally) sliding through an intersection because it was currently drizzling.

You mean my nearly bald tires from the Reagan administration aren't acceptable traction wise when it's anything but warm and dry?!

:psyboom:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

gently caress YOU FORD YOU CAN EAT A GODDAMN BAG OF DICKS IT IS A BRAND NEW CAR THE HVAC BLOWER MOTOR SHOULDN'T BE MAKING ANY loving NOISE YET!

I skipped buying another 100,000 mile German car 'cause I didn't want to deal with the little issues that crop up when a car gets old, little did I know that I'd be getting the same experience from a brand new car. My OCD cannot handle this.

I'm ignoring, for now, the fact that the suspension has rattled almost since new. Already got one "no fault found" sheet for it, figured I'd wait until it's more reproducible. Now that the weather is getting colder, it is! Driving around downtown Portland it sounds like a hooptie piece of poo poo.

gently caress you Ford, gently caress you... BTW, I really like my car aside from the fact that it's a piece of poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Speaking of ford the weather stripping was starting to fall apart on the door in my moms 2013 focus. Theres not even 10k miles on there and the jerks at the dealership denied doing the work under warranty. "Its a wear item because you brush up against it when you get in the car" That sounds like an engineering defect you idiot.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

gently caress YOU FORD YOU CAN EAT A GODDAMN BAG OF DICKS IT IS A BRAND NEW CAR THE HVAC BLOWER MOTOR SHOULDN'T BE MAKING ANY loving NOISE YET!

I skipped buying another 100,000 mile German car 'cause I didn't want to deal with the little issues that crop up when a car gets old, little did I know that I'd be getting the same experience from a brand new car. My OCD cannot handle this.

I'm ignoring, for now, the fact that the suspension has rattled almost since new. Already got one "no fault found" sheet for it, figured I'd wait until it's more reproducible. Now that the weather is getting colder, it is! Driving around downtown Portland it sounds like a hooptie piece of poo poo.

gently caress you Ford, gently caress you... BTW, I really like my car aside from the fact that it's a piece of poo poo.

Ford is pretty lovely quality. My wife bought our first and only one in 2013, Taurus Limited, and it's the cheapest piece of poo poo I've ever owned. So far the 3rd brake light has fallen down twice, the front windshield glass has been resealed because of excessive wind noise, the passenger airbag panel piece has popped off twice, one of the center console doors broke on one side while pressing it down to open it, also the plastic center console trim piece broke off 2 months ago while normally opening it. It's barely 2 years old and is falling apart..

edit:

Cage posted:

Speaking of ford the weather stripping was starting to fall apart on the door in my moms 2013 focus. Theres not even 10k miles on there and the jerks at the dealership denied doing the work under warranty. "Its a wear item because you brush up against it when you get in the car" That sounds like an engineering defect you idiot.

I also forgot, we can't take the Taurus to any automatic wash places because the lovely plastic roof rails that hide welding points gets blown off.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Jesus Christ.

We've had our Escape for almost two years now and have had...zero issues in 20k, with 6k or so of that towing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Just over 18k miles on the Focus without any problems at all. For some reason that reminds me that I need to change the oil this weekend though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CharlesM posted:

Prepared to be disappointed. You know how MS is pushing "night racing and wet racing" in Forza 6? Only 4 tracks have that feature. Friends and I were wanting to race Bathurst in the wet, but you only have a dry option for that track. Not even a night option. Fuckers :(

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Let me tell you first hand about the 2000 Ford Focus I bought new as a college graduation gift to myself. That Ford bought back in 2001 because it literally was falling apart. Literally. 13 recalls, random stalling, grenaded clutch, broken drivers seat, inop A/C and radio, leaking master cylinder, jammed seatbelt, suicidal interior trim, key eating ignition, door glass shattering when slammed POS that spent 36 business days at the dealership in the first 12 months.

I bought a used 97 Miata after that debacle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm don't feel like I'm near witty enough to buy anyone else an avatar. you'll get a gay Apple or something. Oh, wait, Apple already did the rainbow thing before it was a thing...

Geirskogul posted:

Oh god I finally clicked on the view post thing and this is amazing. MBR.

You mean you weren't seeing his avatar? Mobile, I guess?
And if you mean a certain lagomorph artist, yes, that's one of his characters.

e: also: trap sprung - furry spotted.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
:shobon: I guess some people are just hard on their things.

My Ford needed a rebuilt engine after 20 years, and has gone another 35. In that time it's needed new brushes for the generator, wheel bearings, a couple water pumps, a carb kit, wheel cylinders, clutch master, and somehow it chewed up the diff ring gear like 15 years ago. To me, that's all expected maintenance stuff, except the ring gear.

My dad's Ford is only 11 years old, but it's been trouble free except for the fuel pump that went out a couple years ago.

I think the Fords have been the most reliable vehicles we have had. The interior of the Honda that's only a year older than my dad's Ford is falling apart; all the plastic is getting fragile.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

My Ford needed a rebuilt engine after 20 years, and has gone another 35. In that time it's needed new brushes for the generator, wheel bearings, a couple water pumps, a carb kit, wheel cylinders, clutch master, and somehow it chewed up the diff ring gear like 15 years ago. To me, that's all expected maintenance stuff, except the ring gear.

My dad's Ford is only 11 years old, but it's been trouble free except for the fuel pump that went out a couple years ago.

I think the Fords have been the most reliable vehicles we have had. The interior of the Honda that's only a year older than my dad's Ford is falling apart; all the plastic is getting fragile.

there are good ones and bad ones. i bought my 00 with 70k on it and put another 100k on it without issue. my 05 i bought with 100k and did 20k without issue. my 06 i bought with 120 and took to 150k with problem after problem. i've only put 3000kms on my F250 now, but it has been rock solid.

My 06 GMC duramax van was nothing but problems(mostly electrical) for 135k, that 01 cummins dodge was a pain in the rear end for ~40k

The GMC would eat rear transmission seals every 5000-1000kms, and all GM would do is replace the seal.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I like just buying a lovely old car and then all the rattles and poo poo is to be expected. I think my mind would explode if I dropped five digits on a car and it made even the tiniest noise.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I like just buying a lovely old car and then all the rattles and poo poo is to be expected. I think my mind would explode if I dropped five digits on a car and it made even the tiniest noise.

not only that, but you can patch a beater with duct tape because you can't devalue it any further. it was when you bought it and always will be a $1000 car.

With a $30k car, you have to put the actual official replacement part in, because every half-assed bodge job that works knocks a little bit of value off of it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Raluek posted:

HVAC fan noise is NOT related to my being hard on things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

RIP Paul Walker posted:

When my mazda fiesta started doing this, they replaced the blower motor (which somehow took like 5 hours) under warranty no question. Sorry for being ford dealers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

You Am I posted:

Prepared to be disappointed. You know how MS is pushing "night racing and wet racing" in Forza 6? Only 4 tracks have that feature. Friends and I were wanting to race Bathurst in the wet, but you only have a dry option for that track. Not even a night option. Fuckers :(

Get Project CARS then. That track is insane if you set the weather to Thunderstorm.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nm posted:

When my mazda fiesta started doing this, they replaced the blower motor (which somehow took like 5 hours) under warranty no question. Sorry for being ford dealers.

I should clarify that I have yet to call Ford about this, I just wanted to vent and bitch. I have no doubt the dealer will take care of it, it's just loving annoying having the same goddamn issues I was trying to avoid by buying new.

loving stupid of me to go for the car that I like the most... I figured I'd be safe since I skipped the dual clutch and went with an engine that was built in Germany (1.0 Ecoboost represent), but nooooooo Ford has Fordified every loving part of this thing.

At least the seats are comfy...

On another note, Welcome to Portland! http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/09/15/period-blood-donald-trump/72339462/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

You Am I posted:

I'm sure they'll add it later as DLC

• Locked thread