Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

S.J. posted:

Has UFS even managed to come out with a full set since Jasco bought them, like, two years ago or so? I don't think they have.

Yes they have. 7 Booster Sets and two Tin Mini-Sets.

I've actually been thinking of putting a UFS thread together. Just need to take the time just write one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I'd have to imagine Casette Cases are too small, but they might work out?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'd have to imagine Casette Cases are too small, but they might work out?

Seems to have similar internal dimensions to this:
15-25 Card Box
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p312152.html

Interior Dimensions:
2 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 3/8

Compared to an audio casette:

I'll see if I can hunt some down without pins and give it a shot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

hooman posted:

Seems to have similar internal dimensions to this:
15-25 Card Box
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p312152.html

Interior Dimensions:
2 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 3/8

Compared to an audio casette:

I'll see if I can hunt some down without pins and give it a shot.

http://nationalaudiocompany.com/Black-and-Clear-Norelco-Box--P4342.aspx

I can't tell if these have pins or not

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I meant from my parents collection before I buy 100.

Also:
http://www.pcx.com.au/productdetail.aspx?productcode=21235

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
NIce

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, this is the list of people I have that have requested promos. If I missed anybody or the information below is incorrect, let me know. If you already requested an Evil Hikaru and aren't listed below, let me know and reference the original message if you can. Right now I don't have any more Evil Hikarus to provide presuming the below list is correct. If you want the alternate Artifice Avarice, feel free to ask. (For those who asked, it's just a card with alternate art for Runika's finishers. There's no new mechanics.)

pre:
UserID		Evil Hikaru	Alternate Artifice Avarice

AMooseDoesStuff	Yes		Yes
Inshaneee	No		Yes
Ldsity		Yes		Yes
Mamnaelar	Yes		Yes
S.J.		No		Yes
Sefer		Yes		Yes
Shadow225	Yes		Yes
WoI		Yes		Yes
If you're still interested, I'm going to need your address, which you can PM me. I'll be packing them in a CD bubble mailer, with a top-loading plastic case for the finisher (Hikaru comes shrinkwrapped). If you don't have PMs, contact me at jkuleck at gmail. I am not taking payment for these, as they were given to me by Brad to toss over to fellow goons and fans. If you wish to help defray my packing and shipping costs, toss one or a few bucks through PayPal at the above address. Remember to send as a gift and that there's a small fee on top if you're using credit/debit cards if you're not signed with a bank account. Any excess money will be put over to charity.

That's all! Like I said, if I got anything wrong, let me know. Otherwise, all I need to know is where to send them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Volfogg posted:

Yes they have. 7 Booster Sets and two Tin Mini-Sets.

I've actually been thinking of putting a UFS thread together. Just need to take the time just write one up.

Have they fixed the terrible card layout yet? :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I'd totally love an Evil Hikaru, but looks like I'm too late. :negative:

EDIT: Also, I want to strangle who decided to shrink wrap those promos so tight. I almost ripped through my Anath promo trying to get it open. Luckily I only damaged the outer cardboard so no harm no foul, but now I'm holding off on opening anymore of them.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 14, 2015

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

S.J. posted:

Have they fixed the terrible card layout yet? :v:

Honest question, what about the card layout do you think is terrible?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I gotta say these reports of marked differences in the card backs for DoI and the various extended bits I have on order is really depressing. I don't want to have to sleeve my poo poo :(

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Shoot me your info via PM and I'll send you an Evil Hikaru, I have extra.

I somehow didn't manage to get an Artifice Avarice, if you've still got extras I'll take one.

Best way to open promos is stick nail or a blade into the edge of the cardboard and slit it open, plastic comes right off and none of the cards get damaged.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Andarel posted:

Shoot me your info via PM and I'll send you an Evil Hikaru, I have extra.

I somehow didn't manage to get an Artifice Avarice, if you've still got extras I'll take one.

Best way to open promos is stick nail or a blade into the edge of the cardboard and slit it open, plastic comes right off and none of the cards get damaged.

How many extras? I'd be happy to take one off your hands!

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I've got 3 extras and 3 people just asked, so I can make that work. I'll reserve one each for:

DonnyTrump
Vlaada Chvatil
Hitler's Gay Secret

I'm traveling through tomorrow, will try and send on Wednesday.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Andarel posted:

Vlaada Chvatil

I don't have PMs but you can shoot me an email at royalratauthority at gmail and we can take it from there. Muchos gracias!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Thirsty Dog posted:

I gotta say these reports of marked differences in the card backs for DoI and the various extended bits I have on order is really depressing. I don't want to have to sleeve my poo poo :(

You're going to have to sleeve them unfortunately, as soon as I started unpacking my cards it was the first thing I noticed. The difference isn't subtle, one is a strong red, the other is a brown red.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Volfogg posted:

Honest question, what about the card layout do you think is terrible?

Honestly I don't think it's the layout that bothers me so much that a lot of the symbols on the cards look like 90's clip art.

e: And the fact that I'll always be butthurt that it's not an LCG like it ought to be

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Random thoughts based on recent play:

Lucius seems really strong at first glance but sacrificing damage for power seems like a trap in the end. Realizing that taking two of his chains will cost you around 4-8 damage is pretty winceworthy. Bruce Lee beat him out just by focusing on his priority and damage adders.

Welsie is overwhelming and potentially seems really strong, but my opponent hated me for picking her, on account of her being option paralysis in a pack. She shut out Serafina pretty well, since her range did a lot to counter Serafina's movement. Her ability to loop attack pairs definitely breaks from the conventional wisdom, but thankfully she doesn't have a lot in the way of overwhelming pairs (very strong ones, but nothing like Karin or Cadenza).

Larimore struck me as pretty boring and one-note at first, but on reflection I think he has a subtle psychological edge and can seem pretty intimidating in play. His ability to stack tokens and menace an opponent with his movement effects can be pretty demoralizing, even if that doesn't make him a lot more exciting. I took on Baenvier, who seems like he could be a real game-changer in the right hands. The question comes up: when facing Banevier, do you blow your Special Action early in the hopes he decides to let you recover it? It'll be an interesting psychological game he can play.

Been winning Argent a lot lately pretty handily just based on focusing on diversification in followers and spells while pushing influence. After playing him several times, I think Trias Blackwind might be a bit busted due to his ability to take an early lead as long as the metagame doesn't play against him. He's not exactly Luc from Pixel Tactics but he has a similar effect. Played with the visiting Archmage, but it doesn't change a whole lot, not sure I'll put in our regular rotation (we regularly use Technomancy, the Synthesis Chamber, and extra cards from the addons, and randomize drat near anything). The only notable variants we haven't tried now are most of the scenarios.

Looking to try and start mailing stuff shortly, depends on how well I'm feeling in the next few days. Focusing on soon.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 15, 2015

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Was a non-tuckbox storage solution ever figured out? Using Ultrapro sleeves (pro-matte) preferably.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Finally got my package! Only issue so far is that Demitras' character card is missing, which is only slightly inconvenient.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hello friends I played this for the first time tonight. We played the new small box release, Fates? I picked the skeleton in a top hat because :skulls: and his description implied he had some sort of super armor/revenge gimmick.

Mr Bones was nothing like Painwheel. My opponent picked the signature moves guy. I feel like I got a double raw deal out of my first time play through. Game was still interesting, but I am extremely disappointed in the skeleton.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Archenteron posted:

but I am extremely disappointed in the skeleton.

Don't worry. So are we.

Also doesn't help that Jager (signature moves guy) might be waaaaay up there on the power curve.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
While we're doing trip reports, I finally got to play a couple Battlecon games in person for the first time in a long time the other day. Took down Adjenna as Pendros and Aria as Gaspar. It's only my second Pendros match (the first being against Gutter Owl's Aria) but I think I really like him. His start of beat movement and decently large range of priorities allow him a lot of flexibility while still out-speeding or out-slowing opponents as needed. Being able to Dash slower than Adjenna really came in handy, and thanks to all my movement, she didn't get to land a single Petrification counter on me. Will need to try out Pendros against harder-hitting opponents, though - neither Aria nor Adjenna are really capable of activating his "lack of Soak" weakness, so I'm very eager to try him out against someone who does put that kind of pressure on me.

The Gaspar game was similarly one-sided - Gaspar is way faster than I remember, holy crap! I also learned that he really appreciates Strike as an attack, since he doesn't necessarily care if he personally gets to hit an opponent as long as he gets a couple clone whacks in. Managed to get an 8 damage turn in with Bladestorm, too, which felt great. He's another one I really want to play more of, though primarily because I don't have any idea where he fits in the roster. He's certainly one of the characters I've seen played the least, and that's including Fate. Anyone else have experience with Gaspar and have any insight into how his matchups are?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I can only verify that I did not like him against Cadenza.

I'm kind of hunkering to play a match. Would anyone be up for a relatively slow match?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I'd love to play

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Wol posted:

The Gaspar game was similarly one-sided - Gaspar is way faster than I remember, holy crap! I also learned that he really appreciates Strike as an attack, since he doesn't necessarily care if he personally gets to hit an opponent as long as he gets a couple clone whacks in. Managed to get an 8 damage turn in with Bladestorm, too, which felt great. He's another one I really want to play more of, though primarily because I don't have any idea where he fits in the roster. He's certainly one of the characters I've seen played the least, and that's including Fate. Anyone else have experience with Gaspar and have any insight into how his matchups are?

Gaspar has enormous problems with Soak, but he can at least break it with Recursive and Bladestorm. He's not bad but he's very hard to play well and can easily get card-locked out of his important options because he tends to limit himself with his antes. Side effect of that is that he needs to play really carefully but can get into some nasty reverse snowballing for a bruiser - he's a solid pocket pick if you're good with him, but I haven't seen many people really stick to him and try to make him work optimally because of his difficulty curve.

Good news is that he has pretty good matchups actually, though Force's Soak 1 option is kind of iffy for him and I really really wish Bladestorm had 1~2 instead of 1 range.

Archenteron posted:

Mr Bones was nothing like Painwheel. My opponent picked the signature moves guy. I feel like I got a double raw deal out of my first time play through. Game was still interesting, but I am extremely disappointed in the skeleton.

Mr. Bones is super hard to play well and also probably the worst character in the box. Jager is pretty easy and also possibly the best character in the box. Definitely a double raw deal there.

Ldsity
May 29, 2015

Which guy?

That Huang Gai?

Wol posted:

Anyone else have experience with Gaspar and have any insight into how his matchups are?

I know a guy who favors both of those characters you played. Gaspar does sometimes struggle against heavies but his shenanigans he can pull of are devastating

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So many boxes... I ran out of double-sided tape. :negative:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Skeleman's styles aren't actually horrible, and his base is actually really good. But his UA is devastatingly bad. Even if he only lost 1 counter on a turn he gets hit, say on Stun instead of on Stun and damage it's still massive amounts of restriction for less than Kallistars Human form level of effect, most beats anyway.
Poor Mr Bones. He looks pretty cool at least.

:skeltal:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Ldsity posted:

I know a guy who favors both of those characters you played. Gaspar does sometimes struggle against heavies but his shenanigans he can pull of are devastating

To elaborate, slow-dashing against Adjenna is ridiculously effective, but you knew that!

Gaspar is THE setup character. Marmalee tries, bless her, but her "big payoffs" are often Petrifying Strikes. Gaspar's perfect setup is "Shot for 2, Strike for 3, Bladestorm for 5." (I have seen it. It hurts.) One screwy turn, though, and he's out of options for a turn or two. Hilariously, Gaspar is actually pretty clash-proof; he doesn't usually keep enough bases in his hand for extended clash-downs.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Shadow225 posted:

I can only verify that I did not like him against Cadenza.

I'm kind of hunkering to play a match. Would anyone be up for a relatively slow match?

Wol posted:

I'd love to play

Send me character picks. I'll try to have a game up by tonight.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Battlecon day, wonder who I should play. Maybe I should try and learn all the secrets of Welsie.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andarel posted:

Battlecon day, wonder who I should play. Maybe I should try and learn all the secrets of Welsie.

I hear money is pretty great. You should get more of it.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

S.J. posted:

I hear money is pretty great. You should get more of it.

But gerard costs money to play

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Andarel posted:

But gerard costs money to play

oh i see how it is

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So my replacement pieces from the War remastered Kickstarter came! and... they're probably someone else's replacement pieces. I needed some Thessala cards and a Marmelee envelope, and I got complete Luc, Alumis, and Baenvier (and some plastic dial bits). Whoops. I don't really mind waiting longer, but... should I send them back?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'd just contact them and ask.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Shadow vs Wol is up!

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Got asked this yesterday and haven't played Mikhail in ages + card is kinda unclear: if Mikhail is at range 3+ does Sacred stop him from dealing damage? Text on reference implies that only he dodges, but literal interpretation says nobody deals damage at 3+.

Actual text is "Attacks at range 3 or greater do not hit you or deal damage during this beat."

Edit: text is dumb, you still get to do damage at range 3+ because Mikhail the best.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Andarel posted:

Edit: text is dumb, you still get to do damage at range 3+ because Mikhail the best.

Yet another argument for the thread title: BattleCON & Level 99: Good Games Written Badly.