Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

a bay posted:

America is so backwards and racist that they will arrest you for bringing a gun to school if you are Black, even if it isnt loaded

i choose to believe you're actually retarded instead of shitposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tom Brady posted:

that was not my point at all. somebody said that the engineering teacher should have just taken it and avoided the whole problem, my point is thats still loving ridiculous

Oh.... poo poo, my bad.

:agreed:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Brady posted:

i choose to believe you're actually retarded instead of shitposting

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

no one ever has

I would wager Texans might.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

5er posted:

I would wager Texans might.

you would be incorrect

the ppl on that show are shown to be fairly ignorant and too conservative and they're still a better depiction of texans than actual texans

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

a bay posted:

America is so backwards and racist that they will arrest you for bringing a gun to school if you are Black, even if it isnt loaded

you can't possibly be this retarded

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Bible posted:

Texas is a goddamn embarrassment.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thank god for police. They are heroes that do the hard work of keeping us safe.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
If they really thought it was a bomb, why didn't they bring in the bomb disposal unit and get rid of it 'safely' instead of leaving it sitting inside a school full of kids while you talk to the kid in the office. Something about how this went down tells me they didn't think it was a bomb.

poo poo. I've just typed bomb too many times. I'm probably on a list now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Virginia Deputies Tell Woman “We Are Your Friends” Before Killing Her on Video

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/09/virginia-deputies-tell-woman-we-are-your-friends-before-killing-her-on-video/

lol the police are scum

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/09/virginia-deputies-tell-woman-we-are-your-friends-before-killing-her-on-video/

lol the police are scum

drat dude, Zac Efron wanted to advertise his movie that bad? Marketing nowadays is too extreme.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

a bay posted:

Making a timing device isnt exactly advanced electronic engineering especially for someone who has worked on robots. He knew the nature and appearance of the device were suspect

lol if you are scared of a circuit board and an LED display. You must piss your pants when you walk into a radio shack. Cell phone rings and walk signals giving you heart palpitations.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I like how the people in the comments section are like, WELL NOW THE MUSLIM IS GOING TO BE RECRUITED BY TERRORISTS AND BUILD A MUSLIM BOMB NOW, THANKS A LOT FOR BIRTHING A TERRORIST WITH YOUR RACISM.

...goddamnit.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

lol the police are scum

ill have to take your word for it, watching agents of the government murder a civilian on video is really low on my list of priorities

good thing those responsible are in jai-hahahahahahaha

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

poorlifedecision posted:

You must piss your pants when you walk into a radio shack.

tbf i'd be freaked out if i was in a closed & defunct store too!!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I am proud to say that after over 100 hours of diligent investigation by the Irving Police Department (almost all of it overtime) we have determined the item in question is not potentially harmful to our school or its children.

I would like to take this time to remind all Irving parents to remind their children about their school's Code of Conduct policies regarding bringing prohibited items to school.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
WHOA you're not bring that in here, are you?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
a bay does a really convincing impression of a very stupid person

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Airborne Viking posted:

WHOA you're not bring that in here, are you?

call the fuckin army!!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Building a clock or a timing circuit is a pretty basic entry level electronics hobby thing for kids. You used to be able to buy the kits along side those make your own electric motor kits or do it yourself chemistry kits. Lol at dumbass Texans.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

a bay does a really convincing impression of a very stupid person

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a clock, its probably a bomb

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

proof of concept posted:

call the fuckin army!!

If you look at this long enough with a slight crosseye, you start seeing swastikas all over the place.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i admire his craft

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

i was reloading posted:

If they really thought it was a bomb, why didn't they bring in the bomb disposal unit and get rid of it 'safely' instead of leaving it sitting inside a school full of kids while you talk to the kid in the office. Something about how this went down tells me they didn't think it was a bomb.

poo poo. I've just typed bomb too many times. I'm probably on a list now.

Why do you think they did it?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If you look at this long enough with a slight crosseye, you start seeing swastikas all over the place.

quit blowing my cover!!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

texas is barely able to accept the brown people that live adjacent to their lovely state lol if theyre gonna accept a rag head

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

because cops are loving retarded idiots who think it's a slight against their perceived authority to admit to a simple mistake and back off so when poo poo like this happens they always double down and levy ridiculous charges on people

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
whats cool is that since its been 14 year ssince 9/11 there are kids of middle eastern descent that have literally experienced this sort of paranoia their whole lives a nd knwo nothing else lol

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

its great that the country who produces the most weapons and invented nuclear weapons and used them is most afraid of bombs

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

proof of concept posted:

because cops are loving retarded idiots who think it's a slight against their perceived authority to admit to a simple mistake and back off so when poo poo like this happens they always double down and levy ridiculous charges on people

cant recall if i said it ITT but those cops and any administrator involved in his detainment should be charged with kidnapping and illegal detainment or whatever the gently caress

but lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tom Brady posted:

ill have to take your word for it, watching agents of the government murder a civilian on video is really low on my list of priorities

good thing those responsible are in jai-hahahahahahaha

quote:

On Tuesday, her death was ruled a “tragic accident” by Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Raymond F. Morrogh, who provided a 51-page explanation as to why he will not be charging any of the deputies involved.

He said the 5’3" inch woman – initially said to weigh 130 pounds, now listed at 180 pounds – possessed “superhuman” strength who gave the corrections officers the fight of their lives.

hahahahaahahahahahahaha

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You know what else those dirty muzzies do? Car bombs baby. If your name is Mohammad then driving to school should be illegal to. Maybe a Muslim only parking lot away from the school.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 16, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
To whom it may concern,

I woke up this morning and decided to do my rounds of reading the daily news; I ended up reading the article about how 9th grade student Amed Mohamed was arrested for bringing a DIY electronics project clock to school. Much to my surprise, this was not a satire article on The Onion. As a professional computer engineer, with background in robotics via US FIRST, this struck a chord very close to my heart.

I am writing to inform all of you, that you have all failed this young man in an inexplicably horrifying manner; as his police force (with whom he should build trust with), and especially as his educators (who should nurture a bright young mind). As a young man, I made electronics projects all the time. It was my catalyst into the STEM field, these kinds of projects helped shape me into the engineer that I am today. I brought things like this to school all the time and my professors were nothing but supportive and helped me bring my skills to the next level. Similarly, as much as I like to criticize our New York Police Department, upon having my bag searched on the subway they understood that an electronics project is not a bomb. Unfortunately - there is one variable that I did not account for - I am white and have religious beliefs in accordance with that of the general population. What if I wasn’t? It is 2015 and I am legitimately terrified to consider this, even though, Amed and I, we are the same, just normal people with an interest in technology and science.

On the news, I always hear complaints from fellow citizens about how there aren’t enough engineers available for work in the United States, about how temporary visa workers come and “take” our engineering positions at Boeing, SpaceX, Apple, etc – and then I see things like what has happened with Amed. Upon an interview with The Morning News, Amed has told them that “he [vows] to never bring another invention to school again”. Congratulations, with ignorance and petty assumption, you have severely harmed the creative spirit of a young man who has the potential of being a great inventor, scientist, and engineer.

I would like to address a few things:

Irving PD: If you want your relations with the public to improve, please educate cops on basic electronic systems. Not everything with a green board and a display and a beeper is a bomb out of Die Hard. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people who walk around with guns and batons strapped to their hips do not possess the education to understand the difference between something that is harmful and something that is not. Hire some engineers. Provide some educational seminars to your police officers. This ignorance sets very bad precedent. I will not comment on how the young man was interrogated since I am not a lawyer, however, just as input, I do not think that it is very fair to interrogate him without his parents.
Irving MacArthur HS: I am absolutely shocked that you are pursuing a suspension on top of calling for this young man’s arrest. You had an English teacher judge whether or not an engineering project was a bomb. I do not understand how someone that is responsible for shaping the future of a few thousand students can have such a severe lapse of applicable common sense. Stop this nonsense at once; if you do not understand something that isyour own fault and your personal fears and assumptions should NOT dictate someone’s future. You should know better.
To both of you: If you do not understand how something works, what something is, ask someone more knowledgeable than you. There is no shame in doing so, and just going with your gut on the precedent that electronics that aren’t in a pretty case look like a bomb is absolutely absurd. I encourage both of you to take the side panel off of your work computer and look inside. Hold Amed’s project next to it. Do they look the same? Is your computer a “mock bomb”? Do you understand now why what you have all done is ridiculous?
In conclusion, please educate yourselves before jumping to conclusions, do this as your civil duty to your fellow citizens. We cannot afford to lose another engineer. Amed is the young creative spirit in all young men and women that this nation needs to nurture in order to succeed and solve problems that can lead us all to a higher quality of life. Failing him is, by extension, failing all of the other citizens that you swear to protect and make your duty to educate. Reading news stories like this makes me quite ashamed to be an American; I want to love my country and all that it stands for, but as long as this is the new precedent that we are setting, I can no longer do so.

Apologize to Amed and do the right thing; it is a much more admirable position than that of Irving’s police spokesperson, who said: “It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?” Own up to it. I have made mistakes in my life too. We aren’t perfect, but showing good will is a first step. Feel free to contact me via this e-mail, or my phone number which has been left in my signature.

Kind regards,
thathonkey

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

so are you David Stancu or did you just steal that and put your name on it for some reason?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

To whom it may concern,

I woke up this morning and decided to do my rounds of reading the daily news; I ended up reading the article about how 9th grade student Amed Mohamed was arrested for bringing a DIY electronics project clock to school. Much to my surprise, this was not a satire article on The Onion. As a professional computer engineer, with background in robotics via US FIRST, this struck a chord very close to my heart.

I am writing to inform all of you, that you have all failed this young man in an inexplicably horrifying manner; as his police force (with whom he should build trust with), and especially as his educators (who should nurture a bright young mind). As a young man, I made electronics projects all the time. It was my catalyst into the STEM field, these kinds of projects helped shape me into the engineer that I am today. I brought things like this to school all the time and my professors were nothing but supportive and helped me bring my skills to the next level. Similarly, as much as I like to criticize our New York Police Department, upon having my bag searched on the subway they understood that an electronics project is not a bomb. Unfortunately - there is one variable that I did not account for - I am white and have religious beliefs in accordance with that of the general population. What if I wasn’t? It is 2015 and I am legitimately terrified to consider this, even though, Amed and I, we are the same, just normal people with an interest in technology and science.

On the news, I always hear complaints from fellow citizens about how there aren’t enough engineers available for work in the United States, about how temporary visa workers come and “take” our engineering positions at Boeing, SpaceX, Apple, etc – and then I see things like what has happened with Amed. Upon an interview with The Morning News, Amed has told them that “he [vows] to never bring another invention to school again”. Congratulations, with ignorance and petty assumption, you have severely harmed the creative spirit of a young man who has the potential of being a great inventor, scientist, and engineer.

I would like to address a few things:

Irving PD: If you want your relations with the public to improve, please educate cops on basic electronic systems. Not everything with a green board and a display and a beeper is a bomb out of Die Hard. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people who walk around with guns and batons strapped to their hips do not possess the education to understand the difference between something that is harmful and something that is not. Hire some engineers. Provide some educational seminars to your police officers. This ignorance sets very bad precedent. I will not comment on how the young man was interrogated since I am not a lawyer, however, just as input, I do not think that it is very fair to interrogate him without his parents.
Irving MacArthur HS: I am absolutely shocked that you are pursuing a suspension on top of calling for this young man’s arrest. You had an English teacher judge whether or not an engineering project was a bomb. I do not understand how someone that is responsible for shaping the future of a few thousand students can have such a severe lapse of applicable common sense. Stop this nonsense at once; if you do not understand something that isyour own fault and your personal fears and assumptions should NOT dictate someone’s future. You should know better.
To both of you: If you do not understand how something works, what something is, ask someone more knowledgeable than you. There is no shame in doing so, and just going with your gut on the precedent that electronics that aren’t in a pretty case look like a bomb is absolutely absurd. I encourage both of you to take the side panel off of your work computer and look inside. Hold Amed’s project next to it. Do they look the same? Is your computer a “mock bomb”? Do you understand now why what you have all done is ridiculous?
In conclusion, please educate yourselves before jumping to conclusions, do this as your civil duty to your fellow citizens. We cannot afford to lose another engineer. Amed is the young creative spirit in all young men and women that this nation needs to nurture in order to succeed and solve problems that can lead us all to a higher quality of life. Failing him is, by extension, failing all of the other citizens that you swear to protect and make your duty to educate. Reading news stories like this makes me quite ashamed to be an American; I want to love my country and all that it stands for, but as long as this is the new precedent that we are setting, I can no longer do so.

Apologize to Amed and do the right thing; it is a much more admirable position than that of Irving’s police spokesperson, who said: “It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?” Own up to it. I have made mistakes in my life too. We aren’t perfect, but showing good will is a first step. Feel free to contact me via this e-mail, or my phone number which has been left in my signature.

Kind regards,
thathonkey

this unironically makes me want to cry

its me

im the one thats literally shaking

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
texas is a goddamn disgrace and so is the rest of the south

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I remember in high school a 9V battery was found sitting in the hallway outside a science classroom with a piece of wire connecting the terminals. Whole building evacuated.

This is a lot less racist than it is just incredibly stupid on the administrator's part.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
we fought a literal war in which thousands and thousands of people died so that (in part) texas would remain part of this country

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, just for comparisions sake, next week a white kid should bring a self-built clock to this exact school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Crazyeyes posted:

I remember in high school a 9V battery was found sitting in the hallway outside a science classroom with a piece of wire connecting the terminals. Whole building evacuated.

This is a lot less racist than it is just incredibly stupid on the administrator's part.

your point would have more merit if they took any steps at all that would indicate they thought it was a bomb

because if they really thought there was a danger that it was an explosive device, and they took the actions they did, theyre actually literally criminally retarded

• Locked thread