Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

The new format isn't bad. More drama at least. And the chick's and dudes get hotter every year.

It's been years since I've seen any Real World but reality in general is something that can basically run forever since it's pretty cheap on the whole thing is pretty much just a concept that you can plug different people in with little problems, unless it revolves around a given host or cast of people or something.

Like, Survivor's something that can possibly still be going on after we all die. If the ratings don't dip sharply then there's literally hundreds of thousands of islands and remote locations you can go launch a bunch of people onto with cameras and run games of coconut chess or whatever to decide who wins. I just hope I'm still alive when Survivor: High Earth Orbit and Survivor: Deep Sea Lab both air. Skip Survivor: Low Earth Orbit, it's not as good as High Earth Orbit was.

That '70s Show definitely. It's one of my favorite live-action shows I won't lie, but they really had no loving idea what to do with it after long enough out of high school. Should have cut and run with a strong finish in season 5, 6 at the latest to have that whole "Well we're out of school what do we do with our lives now" poo poo that happens to fresh graduates.

Which leads us to Two and a Half Men, another show with Ashton on it. That went on way too long and should have been done when Sheen was. Hell, it probably should have been over before then but I was already pretty well tuned-out by the time all that drama went down.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gaunab posted:

Most live action adult swim shows should have been canceled after their first episode, the obvious exception being Eric andre.

Mr. Pickles too.

Mr. Pickles is a great show. Its a shame they were out of stuff for Super Jail, its a good trade off though.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Alain Post posted:

B/W TV is very serious to me and there's no way in hell Beverly Hillbillies/Gilligan's Island can even touch the Andy Griffith Show :colbert:.

(60s TV was the goddamn worst)

The Phil Silvers show. :allears: Nat Hiken was the poo poo.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pron on VHS posted:

The Office (US) became a lot less funny after Jim and Pam got together, and became completely unfunny once Sabre bought Dunder Mifflin, at which point there were still 3 full seasons to come!

When Michael Scott left the show, it should have been over & done.

Everything that happened after that kinda sorta happened, petered out, went nowhere and died. I even hated the loving finale though most people seem happy with that. It got loving bad.

Also poor Ed Helms. I've never seen a show decide to gently caress an actor/character so repeatedly for that many painful seasons.

ED: Also who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to pair him with a like 19 year old girl, make a huge point of how PERFECT THEY ARE, then just randomly do a 180 out of nowhere? Holy poo poo that whole plot. loving late Office.

Tenzarin posted:

Mr. Pickles is a great show. Its a shame they were out of stuff for Super Jail, its a good trade off though.

I think Adult Swim is the only reason anyone knows of Darkplace, though they had nothing to do with it.

Anyone who's NOT seen Darkplace should watch it on youtube. It's only six episodes long but that actually fits the tone perfectly and it's so packed with stuff going on you're bound to miss half of it on a first watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-ZGP68-3w&spfreload=10

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 19, 2015

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
How was Cheers near the end of it's run? I can't remember whether it was good or not.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rollofthedice posted:

How was Cheers near the end of it's run? I can't remember whether it was good or not.

Cheers stayed good until the end of its run, but like most shows, it got more insular and ridiculous as time went on. It also leaned a little too heavily on the comic relief characters towards the end (think latter day Simpsons). Overall, I'd limit 'classic' Cheers to the first 3 seasons and label anything after that (seasons 4-11) as merely above average.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Junior G-man posted:

Every single answer to this thread should have been "Sons of Anarchy after season 2.

The Ireland thing was so hideously bad with its "I'm sorry Jax, your son is in another castle" kidnap plot and IRA gun things etc.

Then it just careened into awful, with a particular highlight being a deranged chase sequence set to jazz and the Jax = Jesus. It wasn't even funny, it was just awful.

I think the problem with the show was that Kurt Sutter seemingly had no one to answer to like he did when he worked on The Shield and would just push boundaries and storylines that served no real purpose.

The first 2 seasons were excellent, season 3 dragged on and on and on but had a really good season finale, season 4 started to get pretty good but the finale was just such poo poo. Season 5 continued the poo poo and I bailed when they killed off Opie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rollofthedice posted:

The attempt to have Sam & Rebecca a thing got old pretty quickly, especially when they tried to have a baby.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Northern Exposure should have hard cut to black after the first episode of the final season (the one where Joel dreams an alternate New York where all the people from Sicely are his friends/neighbors). The episodes where he becomes a hobo shaman are, you know, kinda interesting and soooooo quirky but the town's new doctor and his wife sucked and the show had clearly lost almost all of its magic very quickly. It's particularly odd because everything in seasons 2-5 is pure solid gold, probably my second or third favorite run of a network TV comedy/drama ever. And season 6 has just enough good stuff in it (Holling's episode, Chris finally getting his degree) to make it all the worse when viewed as a whole.

Plus the season 5 finale was a perfect hour of television. S06E01 could have served as a web-exclusive "epilogue" if it had been possible at the time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rejutka posted:

The Phil Silvers show. :allears: Nat Hiken was the poo poo.

Bilko was good stuff. There's a reason that show ran as reruns in the UK for like 50 years or some poo poo.

e) but that's 50s TV, which was actually really good! The 60s kinda sucked until Norman Lear and MTM saved TV, though obviously it's more complicated than that :v:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 19, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rollofthedice posted:

Cheers was pretty much never bad. It kinda survived by being two different shows, it was a great romantic sitcom for the first half, and a great, mostly-comedic ensemble sitcom for the second half.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Moonlighting.

At the end they had whole episodes with Booger and Agnes as the leads because Cybill had twins and Bruce was making Die Hard and other movies. They would open episodes with the actors apologizing for all the show's problems. Bruce and Cybill hated working with each other and all the issues were clearly transferred into the product.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Revolution. I usually tolerate a lot in regards to sci-fi/post-apocalypse but holy poo poo was this show dull.

Terra Nova. If you haven't seen this, don't. If you have, you know what I'm talking about.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 19, 2015

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Revolution was a weird case because it started off as an action-packed alt-apocalypse show that hooked people at the premiere, then really just went in stupid places (this character double-crosses us, oh wait now he's triple-crossing, oh no I need to save my sister it's suddenly revealed that I have but now SHE'S double-crossing us) from like the halfway point of season 1 to the finale, and then actually started picking up again in season 2 by actually playing out the consequences of the previous finale.

I dug season 2 a lot but by then there was no way they'd be able to win back the audience with all the stupid-rear end poo poo that went down prior.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 19, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know the writer's strike of about 6 years ago gets mentioned a bit, but I wonder how much the 1988 Writer's Strike caused shows of that era to have quality issues. Was Moonlighting one of the shows affected by that at the time?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know the writer's strike of about 6 years ago gets mentioned a bit, but I wonder how much the 1988 Writer's Strike caused shows of that era to have quality issues. Was Moonlighting one of the shows affected by that at the time?

Heck yes it did. It canceled their big 3D episode. Coke made 40 million special 3D glasses for the first nationwide 3D TV broadcast. They ended up reusing the glasses instead for a Super Bowl commercial.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Moonlighting.

At the end they had whole episodes with Booger and Agnes as the leads because Cybill had twins and Bruce was making Die Hard and other movies. They would open episodes with the actors apologizing for all the show's problems. Bruce and Cybill hated working with each other and all the issues were clearly transferred into the product.

They just had to have Dave and Maddie gently caress. That ruined everything. To make matters worse, they tried to get back to the show's original format. By then it was too late.

Still, it was a clever show at its peak.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Revolution. I usually tolerate a lot in regards to sci-fi/post-apocalypse but holy poo poo was this show dull.

Terra Nova. If you haven't seen this, don't. If you have, you know what I'm talking about.

Terra Nova actually was canceled basically immediately though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Fox is a network that seems to REALLY hype up and promote its series before they launch... Until they go to air and they're not instant smash hits, at which point they let them die quiet and forgotten deaths.

I think I remember more Fox promos for shows than actual shows.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Irish Joe posted:

Cheers stayed good until the end of its run, but like most shows, it got more insular and ridiculous as time went on. It also leaned a little too heavily on the comic relief characters towards the end (think latter day Simpsons). Overall, I'd limit 'classic' Cheers to the first 3 seasons and label anything after that (seasons 4-11) as merely above average.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Once Coach died, it lost a lot of heart, but stayed good til the end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The second season of Cheers was probably the best IMO, and the second season finale (two-parter, but especially the second part) might be my favorite sitcom episode ever.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

To me, the worst season was Five. A lot of the Sam/Diane stuff was terrible that season. Like her basically forcing him to propose. Season six rebounded hard and aside from becoming a little too cartoony, never had any real problems.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Aphrodite posted:

Terra Nova actually was canceled basically immediately though.

Terra Nova wasn't canceled fast enough because the studio didn't pull the plug halfway through the first airing of the first episode.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

Whenever I hear about Grey's Anatomy, a show I've never watched in my life, my reaction is "Wait, that's still on?"

...I've been having this reaction for the past 5 years.

11 goddamn seasons and an upcoming 12th one. It just seems like one of those shows that will survive forever, no matter what.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fox is a network that seems to REALLY hype up and promote its series before they launch... Until they go to air and they're not instant smash hits, at which point they let them die quiet and forgotten deaths.

I think I remember more Fox promos for shows than actual shows.

They seem to be getting a little smarter about it, at least. Bob's Burgers had a mostly negative reception at first, but thankfully they let it play out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

Whenever I hear about Grey's Anatomy, a show I've never watched in my life, my reaction is "Wait, that's still on?"

11 goddamn seasons and an upcoming 12th one. It just seems like one of those shows that will survive forever, no matter what.

Speaking of this, CSI (yes, the original one that outlasted its two spinoffs) is finally ending with a two part TV movie next Sunday.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

computer parts posted:

Speaking of this, CSI (yes, the original one that outlasted its two spinoffs) is finally ending with a two part TV movie next Sunday.

I'd say it was the end of a loving era right there, but there's another spinoff that's still rolling.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

They seem to be getting a little smarter about it, at least. Bob's Burgers had a mostly negative reception at first, but thankfully they let it play out.

Not really, while I didn't initially like Bob's Burger, it kind of grew on me. It's still stuck in the Sunday NFL afterglow hellslot.

So if an NFL game goes long, or goes into overtime, it gets overwritten by Football. I understand why they network would rather show a game in overtime but it's getting to the point It seems like Fox should just accept that Football games run long, so everything before The Simpsons should be moved into a friendlier timeslot.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Don't forget Fringe managing to get five seasons despite not only failing to be JJ Abrams' successor to LOST but being a show that struggled to break a 1 in the Nielsen ratings by the end. Even if you buy the conspiracy theory that it's totally because the lead actress is a distant relative of Rupert Murdoch by marriage it was pretty savvy of them to keep a cult sci-fi show going because of its success on other mediums and its online fandom and just scaling the budget and programming slot to fit it rather than nuking the whole thing after one season.

That said, I would have kind of been OK if Fringe had gotten cancelled a little sooner since most of season 4 was a waste of time that amounted to nothing new or interesting and season 5 was basically a completely different show.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shima Honnou posted:

I'd say it was the end of a loving era right there, but there's another spinoff that's still rolling.

Yeah but apparently the ratings for that one are equivalent to the last season of CSI vanilla so it might not have a long shelf life.

Which in CBS terms means it'll probably get 4-5 seasons and only get cancelled because they have another successful show to replace it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

My only exposure to this show was the Rifftrax Mike and Bridget did for the first two episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

My wife used to watch Grey's Anatomy and it was so unwatchably bad at least 6-7 years ago that it broke even her tolerance for utter poo poo shows. I think the breaking point was an episode where the main character drowned and had been underwater for like 45 minutes or something but they managed to bring her back with some CPR and apparently she's been able to carry on practicing medicine just fine for year with whatever severe brain damage she would have sustained from that incident.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

This also applies to most animated Adult Swim shows.

the best current Adult Swim show, by a country mile, is the result of giving a mentally retarded rapist a blank check

that really kind of says things about Adult Swim I think

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(Mike Tyson Mysteries is a goddamn wonderful show though, that's not intended as a knock against it in any sense except "holy poo poo that got funded")

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

To be fair, I'm pretty certain he has nothing to do with the show's production other than showing up to do his lines.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

raditts posted:

My wife used to watch Grey's Anatomy and it was so unwatchably bad at least 6-7 years ago that it broke even her tolerance for utter poo poo shows. I think the breaking point was an episode where the main character drowned and had been underwater for like 45 minutes or something but they managed to bring her back with some CPR and apparently she's been able to carry on practicing medicine just fine for year with whatever severe brain damage she would have sustained from that incident.

I had a moment like that with Law & Order: SVU. There was a kidnapped little girl and they find out the perp had buried her somewhere, so Benson and Stabler rush to the scene and shout, "Hurry up! She's been buried for almost an hour!" So they dig her up and she's absolutely fine. Like, immediately, without CPR or anything. After having been buried alive. For an hour.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Literally any superhero show

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Even if you buy the conspiracy theory that it's totally because the lead actress is a distant relative of Rupert Murdoch by marriage

It's even sillier than that. Her aunt who was married to Murdoch divorced him in 1999.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Cleveland show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tomahawk posted:

Literally any superhero show

Except for The Cape.