Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

momtartin posted:

That was so close to a win if we made the stupid FG and we hadn't dropped that walk in TD. Still a fun game, but we got outcoached in the 4th quarter. I still think we can beat Purdue next week and go 2-2 into conference play though, which is better than a lot of people though we'd do. If VT can put up 50 points on Purdue, I can only imagine what Johnson will do to them. He's gonna destroy the passing record this year at this rate.

Yeah I figured we'd emerge 1-3 out of the opening and didn't at all figure we'd win one of the first two. Emerging 2-2 would be phenomenal.

Also holy poo poo can we cut down at least a little on the penalties, guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I just hope you guys don't have your Hulk-out moment against FSU. Those penalties do remind me very much of FSU at the end of the Bowden years, seemed like we'd get one called on us every other play for the stupidest poo poo imaginable. I bet there are going to be some unbelievably miserable Gators an hour into Monday's practice.

"Don't look at this as punishment. Look at it as an opportunity to improve... but honestly also look at it as punishment because Jesus Christ follow the loving rules already. Now get up them stairs."

If UF loses to UT this weekend, do you think the UF fan base will shrug and say, "Eh... had to expect it, we're not very good," or go into full-panic Bull Gator "BAH GAWD WHAT THE gently caress" mode?

Like any fanbase we have a lot of knuckle-dragging idiots. I personally think Mac needs 4-5 years to clean up this mess--culture of entitlement followed by a culture of undisciplined, highlight seeking morons.

I'm sure people will be calling for his head if we lose to UT. October looks to be a rough month. I'll just keep the bottle close on Saturdays.

I think we should see real improvement next year, but we may lose 6 or 7 games this year, honestly.

go3 posted:

Texas had the same poo poo. Defense turns into a bunch of highlight reel building idiots because hey the offense will just go score again and then finally when we actually do need a stop and they get it the drive continues because some fuckhead laid out a dude after the play

It took literally any player and assistant who was there with Muschamp to leave before it came to an end.

It blows my mind. What a cancer that guy is.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
As much as I hate to say it, Chad Kelly made some clutch plays last night. I mean, you know, still gently caress him, but holy hell did he display the perfect balance of skill and pure dumb luck last night.

edit: Not sure if this made it into the GDT, but this is hilarious.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 20, 2015

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Louisville is 0-3, which I don't like, but if it means Petrino will be shown the door, then gently caress it go 0-12.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Leonard Fournette is the goddamned truth and it's a pitiful loving OP that doesn't include a single .GIF of him wreaking havoc yesterday.

Even in defeat, 'Bama fans still make it all about themselves. Shameful, Emron. Shameful.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A&M was inconsistent yesterday. I'm hoping it was due to it being an 11am game (gently caress that noise) and it being super hot. We throw a ton of screen passes and never run any quick slants or anything over the middle of the field. One drive we remembered we're allowed to throw deep and scored in 3 plays, so I'd like to see more of that.

The upgraded Kyle Field is really nice and they keep upgrading buildings that were lovely when I left a little over a year ago, so I hate the students there now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scarf posted:

hahahahahahaha

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Zifnab posted:

Sark never won a game in Arizona while at UW, and lost all but one of the games in the desert by 30+. He never had his UW teams ready to play in Arizona.

When sark gets fired next year we can rest easy at USC knowing the pete carroll coachig is finally dead.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Leonard Fournette is the goddamned truth and it's a pitiful loving OP that doesn't include a single .GIF of him wreaking havoc yesterday.

Even in defeat, 'Bama fans still make it all about themselves. Shameful, Emron. Shameful.

Everything would have to just be linked due to it being :nws:

You can't just come on these forums and blatantly show people getting hosed like that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

momtartin posted:

That was so close to a win if we made the stupid FG and we hadn't dropped that walk in TD. Still a fun game, but we got outcoached in the 4th quarter. I still think we can beat Purdue next week and go 2-2 into conference play though, which is better than a lot of people though we'd do. If VT can put up 50 points on Purdue, I can only imagine what Johnson will do to them. He's gonna destroy the passing record this year at this rate.

Yeah, Purdue is bad. We have a great defense, but their QB went 9-28 with two picks. They're not going to compete with many teams this year.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

LeeMajors posted:

Like any fanbase we have a lot of knuckle-dragging idiots. I personally think Mac needs 4-5 years to clean up this mess--culture of entitlement followed by a culture of undisciplined, highlight seeking morons.

I'm sure people will be calling for his head if we lose to UT. October looks to be a rough month. I'll just keep the bottle close on Saturdays.

I think we should see real improvement next year, but we may lose 6 or 7 games this year, honestly.

It blows my mind. What a cancer that guy is.

I hope we get 8 wins this year. I am confident in us beating Missouri, Vandy, South Carolina and FAU. That would get us to 7. And then one big win over Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia, or FSU. I don't know which one of those we can beat yet but I think Tennessee is our best shot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Word was Kliff refused to shake Bielma's hand after the game too. drat Bret what did you do to him

Probs still mad about the 01 Alamo Bowl imo

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Ahhh yeah spiritus nox is back which means maybe theres hope for the terrible baylor team with the worst defense and special teams in the world and suspending every player for fun (baylor champs) texas shouldve won it was their only chance for a win all year besides kansas and army will beat navy for a successful one win season and now because of alabamas loss baylor will be ultrajinxed by having the longest winning streak at home into sucking baylor rules 2016 champs go cowboys jjwatt

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

effectual posted:

Seriously? Is he out of prison already?
He ended up serving like 70 days.

Said this in the old thread but Auburn blows and I can't wait for the anonymous tell-alls that will be forthcoming about how everyone on the inside saw this coming.

I do wonder if LSU or A&M should be the frontrunners; that Ole Miss defense still gave up 37 points even with five takeaways. But > Bama is easily the best win so enjoy your moment atop the pile.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Greyson Lambert now holds the NCAA pass completion percentage mark for a single game. 24-25.

Yeah.

its okay though, he clearly wasn't ready to be the starter at the venerable football powerhouse of note, the University of Virginia.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

]

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Word was Kliff refused to shake Bielma's hand after the game too. drat Bret what did you do to him

Ol' Kliff nuked him after the game.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Scarf posted:

As much as I hate to say it, Chad Kelly made some clutch plays last night. I mean, you know, still gently caress him, but holy hell did he display the perfect balance of skill and pure dumb luck last night.

There were 4 banners last night from fans:

There is funding in the works for every single miami game, possibly gameday next week when Miami has a bye, possibly a dolphins game, and possibly a banner at nebraska's next game being angry at them not getting rid of golden.

Also, at least one of those banners was free because we've already spent so much on banners.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

What the gently caress kind of tackling form is that?

All of the best games yesterday happened while I was out for 3 hours, goddammit. At least I finally got to sit down and watch a Sparty game in full. Final score is closer than the game really was, but the defense occasionally looked pedestrian against the triple option. Glad we don't have to see that again this year.

Also Burbridge has really come into his own, finally.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

What the gently caress kind of tackling form is that?

That same defender went low on Fournette on an earlier run and got windsheilded; it's also in .GIF form & it's glorious.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

That same defender went low on Fournette on an earlier run and got windsheilded; it's also in .GIF form & it's glorious.

That one was the better run too--flattened him like 2-3yds backwards, then ran through his chest.

I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in Muschamp's defensive meetings today--especially with that safety intentionally whiffing the angle to avoid Fournette.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

That one was the better run too--flattened him like 2-3yds backwards, then ran through his chest.

I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in Muschamp's defensive meetings today--especially with that safety intentionally whiffing the angle to avoid Fournette.

...and in another curious twist, that was the same safety whose comments about Fournette being "not too difficult to stop" were part of last week's CFB buzz.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

...and in another curious twist, that was the same safety whose comments about Fournette being "not too difficult to stop" were part of last week's CFB buzz.

I was wondering if it was, but didn't care enough to look into it.

:laffo:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So watching that Notre Dame player scream in agony was really painful to watch but all I could think about was Nancy Kerrigan crying "WHY?!!! WHY????!!!!!!!!"

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Also, Les Miles is a good person.

Kid's name is Cid Ortis & he's from Birmingham. Huge LSU fan; unfortunately riddled with cancer. He's off of chemotherapy now & is simply being given pain medications since the cancer appears that it will likely win.

Miles had Ortis & his family at the game yesterday & they were able to watch the game from the coaches box. Ortis said it was one of the best days of his life.

:smith:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Perfect in every way.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

So watching that Notre Dame player scream in agony was really painful to watch but all I could think about was Nancy Kerrigan crying "WHY?!!! WHY????!!!!!!!!"

That was pretty brutal to watch. Sound always makes those moments more real.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mahoning posted:

A guy I know who has a bigger screen than I do said that he could see that guy's tears streaming through his eye black. :(

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA afterthoughts:

I'm not saying that all of our QB issues are done, but man our offense looked legit last night on all phases. Lambert has the all time QB completion percentage for FBS at 96%, and set a school record for most passes in a row (20) without an incompletion. The only incomplete pass was one of those where either the receiver was going to get it or not type of deals. Our running game was great but that wasn't really the story of the evening. The tin-foil hat in me thinks that maybe we were being a little vanilla the first two games or maybe it just took a bit longer to get playbook knowledge where it needed to be.

On defense we did what we needed to do and really the second TD from Carolina was bad playing by UGA. I'm not super worried about our defense this year, I think we can hang tight with a lot of teams. I also think we lose to someone down the line, and probably will be a team we are "supposed" to beat. Could be Alabama, could be Tennessee. It would be some poo poo to Win out and lose to a reserging Kentucky or a Georgia Southern (Who put 21 on Oregon yesterday!).

In other words I am just gonna bask in this win, not hang my season hopes on it, and enjoy the fact that we hung half-a-hundred on Spurrier hopefully sending him into retirement a broken and beaten man. And this too:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
not mad about the Texas game at all. lovely way to lose a game, sure, but more offense than I've seen from the team on a while. and that shameless flop was hilarious

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Took some time to come up with my thoughts about this UK team without being in the heat of the moment:

-Defense is way ahead of where I thought it would be. It'll take a step back once we play more potent offensive teams like Georgia but it's starting to show toughness and ability to make plays. It seems Elliott/Stoops is finally starting to get their identity and given that most of the talented players are freshmen and sophomores, it's hard not to look ahead a bit and imagine what the ceiling is.

-Offense was putrid, the staff constantly harped in the off-season about how good the offense would be but it's been bad. Through 12 quarters UK has had 2 great quarters, 2 solid quarters, and 8 atrocious quarters. Talented WRs dropping catchable balls, poor blocking by the OTs, and QB play has been miserable. RBs are cool though, could block a bit better but overall, pretty good so far.

-Patrick Towles isn't going to cut it, he is sloooow on his reads and woefully innacurate (51% in his last 9 games). The air raid depends on quick decisions and accurate short to mid range passes which is by far Towles' biggest weaknesses. Either Barker is truly bad or the staff is falling into the "look at those physical tools, wait until he puts it together" thought process.

-Finally, Dawson has been extremely poor. He was touted as being Holgorsen's right hand man for those potent WVU offenses but he has been unimaginative and very poor at adjusting to the other team. Frankly, he looks like a terrible hire and a significant step back from Brown so far.

Overall, I'm not displeased since UK still has a good chance to start 4-1 and make a bowl game. However, there is enough to make me nervous that UK will screw up a winnable game and UK can't afford to drop a game they should win given that this is a "show me results" year for recruits.

The defense really deserved to win that game the way they played last night. The play calling and clock management on that last drive was atrocious. The D will keep them in games like last night, and if they can get any kind of offense going they should at least make a bowl. It's Kentucky though, I'm sure they will drop a game they shouldn't.

Still disappointed in last night. Really wanted to see that streak broken.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So how did this week rate on the Chaos scale? Pretty decent, eh?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

That was pretty brutal to watch. Sound always makes those moments more real.

Even worse was watching the Showtime Hard Knocks style show on Notre Dame this past week. Malik Zaire was absolutely inconsolably crying from the moment he knew his season was done. Even in the locker room after that exciting last second win he couldn't hold it together.

http://www.sho.com/sho/video/titles/38078/notre-dame-football-coach-brian-kelly-leads-emotional-team-huddle

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA afterthoughts:

I'm not saying that all of our QB issues are done, but man our offense looked legit last night on all phases. Lambert has the all time QB completion percentage for FBS at 96%, and set a school record for most passes in a row (20) without an incompletion. The only incomplete pass was one of those where either the receiver was going to get it or not type of deals. Our running game was great but that wasn't really the story of the evening. The tin-foil hat in me thinks that maybe we were being a little vanilla the first two games or maybe it just took a bit longer to get playbook knowledge where it needed to be.

On defense we did what we needed to do and really the second TD from Carolina was bad playing by UGA. I'm not super worried about our defense this year, I think we can hang tight with a lot of teams. I also think we lose to someone down the line, and probably will be a team we are "supposed" to beat. Could be Alabama, could be Tennessee. It would be some poo poo to Win out and lose to a reserging Kentucky or a Georgia Southern (Who put 21 on Oregon yesterday!).

In other words I am just gonna bask in this win, not hang my season hopes on it, and enjoy the fact that we hung half-a-hundred on Spurrier hopefully sending him into retirement a broken and beaten man. And this too:

I was out to dinner with my folks and my gf last night, and at the bar around the corner from our booth we heard folks watching the SCAR/UGA game, and the SCAR fans would go crazy every so often, so my dad would get up and go check the score. I guess at one point it was pretty close? like 17-13 or maybe tied up?

Fast forward to about 10 minutes later, we hadn't heard any screaming in a while, so I get up to go check and it's 31-13...

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

10-7 against Kent State. 10-7 against Kent State. 10-7 against Kent State. :suicide:

If not for our defense looking good I'd have given up on the season entirely already. Go Gophers.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Zwabu posted:

So how did this week rate on the Chaos scale? Pretty decent, eh?

Katy did a pretty good job for the most part

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neil Armbong posted:

not mad about the Texas game at all. lovely way to lose a game, sure, but more offense than I've seen from the team on a while. and that shameless flop was hilarious

Ugh, yeah I had forgotten. That was some premier league poo poo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think that the o-line looked much better this week and Collins did a good job. I think that the receivers looked good even though they weren't our starters. I think that Brandon Allen is doing much better but will never be a clutch QB. The defensive scheme was probably the main problem this game and I'm hoping that it will change. The problem is that I fear we just don't have the personnel to play the way we need to win the upcoming games.

If we drop to 1-3 next week and are facing two away games after that we should bench Allen and let the future get some reps.

You guys came out flat as hell against Toledo. Tech's offense may be one of the top 3 or 4 in the country and you stopped us, what, twice? You'll only see two more offenses that dangerous this year in A&M and Ole Miss, and I'm still torn on Ole Miss. Was a fun one.

DJExile posted:

It was the other way around. Kliff went to the 50 and Bret was no where to be found. He stood around on the field for a while after the game, shaking hands and what not.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Also I am really sad about UAB having its football program closed, even if they got it reinstated later, but thanks for Jake Ganus because he killed it all game long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

DJExile posted:

Apparently Bret was poo poo talking at a meeting of Texas HS coaches this off season about how if they run the spread Bret would kick their asses. So Kliff was just rubbing it in, his dad was one of those HS Coaches spreading the word of the spread back in the day.

• Locked thread