Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
:rolleyes:

@ESPNU
According to ESPN's FPI rankings, here are your top four teams in the country:

1) Ole Miss
2) LSU
3) Georgia
4) Alabama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

@ESPNU

1) Ole Miss
2) LSU
3) Georgia
4) Alabama

Please

Alabama should still be number one

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Diggie posted:

Is there a fan to his left blowing his hair and face to the side?

Bros don't need a fan to get the flip.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

CBS Sports recently had an interesting article about how 99% of college kickers/punters aren't coached at all and basically conduct their own practices, which explains a lot. There's also a very small amount of schools that specifically have special teams coordinators on staff. I'd dig it up, but I'm phone posting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

CBS Sports recently had an interesting article about how 99% of college kickers/punters aren't coached at all and basically conduct their own practices, which explains a lot. There's also a very small amount of schools that specifically have special teams coordinators on staff. I'd dig it up, but I'm phone posting.

I've heard that too. Most times, kickers, punters, and long snappers are just left to their own devices on a separate field during practice, unless they're doing full-field plays or practicing fakes.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

Here you go. It seems pretty stupid to not have coordinators for an entire part of the game, especially one as important as special teams.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

So, I feel like college kicking is at its nadir.

I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now. Very few teams have anything approaching a reliable kicker--there were several missed extra points.

What is causing this? Has it always been this bad and I didn't notice?

Are soccer players sticking with soccer now, and the dedicated football guys aren't as good?

counter-point: Marshall Koehn, Bitch

I think kicking has probably if anything gotten way better with time you are just more aware of high profile misses. I do not have numbers for it in college, but it's definitely true at the NFL level, where they just moved the extra points back because it had become so automatic as to be a complete waste of everyone's time. And just as a general rule people are better at most things now because The Past Is poo poo. I will stiff arm bronko nagurski's bitch rear end, bring him back to life.

korrandark posted:

Here you go. It seems pretty stupid to not have coordinators for an entire part of the game, especially one as important as special teams.

You only get so many assistants and they generally don't want to spend a slot on a guy to coach kickers. Special teams coordinators usually double as a linebacker coach or something like that.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 21, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

You only get so many assistants and they generally don't want to spend a slot on a guy to coach kickers. Special teams coordinators usually double as a linebacker coach or something like that.

Or even GA's or the HC if he's not playcalling. Tubs did his own special teams. They sucked.

With a playcalling HC, staffs more often have room for a special teams coordinator. TTU added one after years of terrible results. Things got markedly better last year, his first year, and have started off even better this year despite that coach getting a promotion to also coach a position (WR).

Mike Leach used a ST coordinator for the longest time as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa had one guy last year who was supposed to be doing it (Chris White, who is still nominally the ST coordinator and also coaches running backs) and they were poo poo. This year all of the defensive coaches are chipping in and we actually have pretty good special teams so far, at least when our returner is not inexplicably catching the ball as it is about to go out of bounds at the two and stepping out with it. But even then he is not attempting to lateral the ball to someone else as he falls out of bounds, so it's still progress!

But yeah there are a lot of head coaches who do it, Beamer and Urbz probably being the most famous.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

ban special teams imo and determine field position by having the fullbacks wrestle

You could do it like the XFL and have your fastest players go after the ball.

Of course it will probably end up like the XFL and the first time it's done there will be dislocated shoulders

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

ban special teams imo and determine field position by having the fullbacks wrestle

This would give Iowa an immense advantage over the rest of the country and I support it completely.

Special Teams Coordinator Dan Gable, boom now all Iowa opponents start every drive at the 3 inch line while we get to start in the red zone.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 21, 2015

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

A brief history of Bret Bielema's trolling
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-bret-bielema-troll-king/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I've also read that most punters and place kickers just send tape to a guru who says "hey fix this" and except maybe the off-season never really meet in person and talk once or twice a week

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
there are camps kickers can go to in offseason, but really surprising to hear most don't have a coach.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA vs. Bama got picked for CBS, 3:30 kickoff

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA vs. Bama got picked for CBS, 3:30 kickoff

Goddamn it. Now not only do I have to watch Alabama lose again, I have to do with Vern and Gary on the call.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Special teams coordinators are good and cool but just don't promote them to head coach.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
ahahahahaha oh baylor

https://twitter.com/CareyWWLS/status/646007654637178881

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

they want the death penalty don't they

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

counter-point: Marshall Koehn, Bitch

I think kicking has probably if anything gotten way better with time you are just more aware of high profile misses. I do not have numbers for it in college, but it's definitely true at the NFL level, where they just moved the extra points back because it had become so automatic as to be a complete waste of everyone's time. And just as a general rule people are better at most things now because The Past Is poo poo. I will stiff arm bronko nagurski's bitch rear end, bring him back to life.

Well there were high profile misses in the past too--but I feel like there's a reason PATs and short field goal misses seem so dramatic and inexplicable--because in the past they were fairly automatic.

Deemphasizing coaching would make sense though.

And no, Nagurski would still eat your heart.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Thermos H Christ posted:

@ESPNU

1) Ole Miss
2) LSU
3) Georgia
4) Alabama

I bet Texas A&M's 5th.

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah kicking in general is pretty much ignored by college coaches, mostly because none of them know anything about kicking/punting and don't want to spend a bunch of time scouting guys because they're not even sure what they're looking for.

It's why these two guys have managed to monopolize the high school kicking/punting/long snapping scouting "business" by being the first major academy specifically designed to just tell coaches "Hey this kid's really good at kicking you should get him."

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

This would give Iowa an immense advantage over the rest of the country and I support it completely.

Special Teams Coordinator Dan Gable, boom now all Iowa opponents start every drive at the 3 inch line while we get to start in the red zone.

still 7-5

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

JUST LEADING THEM IN PRAYER GOD BLESS

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

We would definitely still only score like 24 points a game.

LeeMajors posted:

Well there were high profile misses in the past too--but I feel like there's a reason PATs and short field goal misses seem so dramatic and inexplicable--because in the past they were fairly automatic.

Like I said, my guess would be that if anything kicking numbers have gotten better as time goes on and you're just noticing the misses more. I don't have the numbers on it though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I love how easy of a team Baylor is to hate.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Crotch Bat posted:

I love how easy of a team Baylor is to hate.

Arthur is a real piece of poo poo.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Bret Bielema's comeback after getting verbally destroyed by Kliff Kingsbury.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finebaum starts in 15.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

OpaqueEcho posted:

Arthur is a real piece of poo poo.

Remember when everyone thought Texas was stupid for not trying to hire him?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That Oct 3rd primetime lineup is real bad.

Arkansas at Tennessee 6 or 6:30 ESPN, ESPN2 or SEC Network
Mississippi State at Texas A&M 6 or 6:30 ESPN, ESPN2 or SEC Network
Ole Miss at Florida 6 or 6:30 ESPN, ESPN2 or SEC Network
Notre Dame at Clemson 7:00 pm ABC
Michigan at Maryland 7:00 pm BTN
Oregon at Colorado 9:00 pm ESPN

That is very weak. Fox sports decided to not even show up, even when they had a good OU vs WVU matchup they could have put there. Instead, they're showing baseball...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
UCLA vs ASU might be on late but could be a good one if ASU gets its poo poo together this week against USC and we look good/ok against Arizona.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/646025080309309440?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That Works posted:

Remember when everyone thought Texas was stupid

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Art Briles doesn't seem to know a lot about what is going on his team.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

korrandark posted:

Art Briles doesn't seem to know a lot about what is going on his team.

Sooner or later he's going to have to put the "I didn't know what was going on" card back in the deck.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Does Finebaum take callers on his TV show?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cole posted:

Does Finebaum take callers on his TV show?

Yeah, I think it's a simulcast with his regular radio show

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Oh man Finebaum is starting off good. Calling for Saban's head with the second caller.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee-Florida will be a close game and will come down to field goals in the end, and Tennessee will lose because our usually reliable kicker has gone mental this year for some reason and he can't even be trusted with gimmie 35 yarders.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

@PeterBurnsESPN: First @finebaum caller just compared Will Muschamp to cancer. So it appears we are off to a calm and collected start today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

kayakyakr posted:

That Oct 3rd primetime lineup is real bad.

Arkansas at Tennessee 6 or 6:30 ESPN, ESPN2 or SEC Network
Mississippi State at Texas A&M 6 or 6:30 ESPN, ESPN2 or SEC Network
Ole Miss at Florida 6 or 6:30 ESPN, ESPN2 or SEC Network
Notre Dame at Clemson 7:00 pm ABC
Michigan at Maryland 7:00 pm BTN
Oregon at Colorado 9:00 pm ESPN

That is very weak. Fox sports decided to not even show up, even when they had a good OU vs WVU matchup they could have put there. Instead, they're showing baseball...

All those SEC games looked like they'd be interesting at the start of the season. Miss St/aTm is still sorta compelling. Notre Dame @ Clemson is still compelling. Michigan @ UMD lollers. Harbaugh camera all day, also Edsall is awful and MD will be a hilarious 7-5 forever in the B1G because of him.

• Locked thread