Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Someone did a pretty great drawing of the end boss of the true pacifist route, http://imgur.com/tGIRgZp, heavy spoilers of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I honestly gave up Earthbound at the monkey thing. I took one look at it, looked at my limited inventory space, and said 'gently caress this'.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

After much consideration, I've decided that Undertale is a better Earthbound-ish game than Earthbound was. Maybe it's Nostalgia fading over time, but in Earthbound, while I had a similar love of the settings, characters and way the game subtly messed with the player, Undertale seems to trump EB is every way, do it more often.

Undertale being a smaller world and a shorter game doesn't hurt it, it means that the experience is more consistent. There are no real lulls or points you have to slog through to get to the 'good stuff' Except maybe killing every thing to get a genocide run, which would be similar to grinding out levels in a typical RPG. I felt like that with EB, wanting to see what happens next, but having to go through all the procedural fights and item gathering.

While Earthbound fucks with you, and fucks with RPG conventions, and the 4th wall, Undertale simply does all theses things better. Which blows my mind.

Toby, if you are reading this, do you know how loving amazing that is? Jesus Christ dude. Whatever project you are working on next, I'm so there.

If Undertale was made as a Technical Resume to get you a job in the gaming industry, I'd say you knocked it out of the loving park, and I hope your next project is something you really want to do. Well done sir.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the purpose of earthbound is not to subvert expectations with gimmicks and 'gently caress with' the player

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so I just finished a True Pacifist Run and well...
what the hell is up with that tape where they talk about "the creepy smile?"
Because I watched some of the Genocide Run and I wanna know what that's about

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Einwand posted:

Someone did a pretty great drawing of the end boss of the true pacifist route, http://imgur.com/tGIRgZp, heavy spoilers of course.

aggaggg don't do this to me :cry:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

the purpose of earthbound is not to subvert expectations with gimmicks and 'gently caress with' the player

If I recall, the original game in the series was made as a direct rebuttal to dragon quest, that you shouldn't take games so seriously and have a little fun or something like that. I'd say Undertale is in keeping with that because it has Papyrus and Papyrus is maximum fun.

true pacifist ending spoilers The tapes are there to show you that the child that was Asriel's friend (whether its the same as the fallen child or it's own entity) wasn't a good person. This gets clarified if you talk to Asriel in the ruins during the post game walk about

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Wow you weren't kidding

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah. I certainly see a little inspiration, but I don't see this as being all that similar to Earthbound. It feels to me more like Paper Mario by way of Yume Nikki.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah. I certainly see a little inspiration, but I don't see this as being all that similar to Earthbound. It feels to me more like Paper Mario by way of Yume Nikki.

I dunno, it's clearly a homage to a whole lot of games. Including some obscure titles like the mischief makers you mentioned (well probably, that one mechanic seems generic enough to just be coincidence but who knows given all the other references).
There's definitely a fair amount of earthbound in it.

final boss spoilers gently caress I mean Asriel's first attack on you is basically PK Starstorm

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
There's definite parallels between Undertale and the Mother games, not just in the obvious sense of general charm but also in terms of thematic ambitions and a desire to in some way subvert player expectations. The difference is that Undertale goes so much further with that stuff than any of the Mother games ever did that it's kind of mind-boggling, which is part of why I think this game blows those games out of the water (and I say that as someone who still considers Mother 3 one of their favorite RPGs ever). The other part is how consistently interesting and amazingly inventive the combat is--there aren't a whole lot of games out there that play with their mechanics this much or tie them so heavily and effectively to the narrative.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

JuniperCake posted:

I dunno, it's clearly a homage to a whole lot of games. Including some obscure titles like the mischief makers you mentioned (well probably, that one mechanic seems generic enough to just be coincidence but who knows given all the other references).

final boss spoilers gently caress I mean Asriel's first attack on you is basically PK Starstorm

And speaking of influences, if Mettaton wasn't inspired by this guy I'll eat my hat.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i can see why people would compare this game with earthbound, but i think the comparison falls flat after 'they both got goofballs and you play as a kid.' EB is thematically and conceptually really dissimilar to undertale. there's like one big fourth wall breaking thing in the game, where you type in your name and then Paula prays and prays for help and eventually calls out for you (I was surprised with all the praying that that didn't happen here too.)

mother games have gameplay barely above dragon quest so undertale is certainly better than it and a lot of old RPGs in that respect.

I could write a lot of words about the mother series. I won't do that, but overall I think EB is about experiencing certain sensations and feelings different from those meant to be evoked by the adventures of sans and papyrus

JuniperCake posted:

having an homage to something doesn't mean you made the same kind of thing you made an homage to, though. I didn't see even one instance of 'clancer olympics'......

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 23, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

I still have no idea how to dodge that one attack of Temmie's.

That attack has a special place in my heart because it was the first thing I had seen of Undertale. Toby showed it off to a group of friends while he was working on it at a convention in 2014. I didn't have any context for it at the time. He was just showing me a heart weaving around a weird dog on an otherwise blank screen and talking about balancing the size of the dog legs properly. It was at that moment I realized whatever he was working on was very special.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I still don't know how you dodge the fire monster's attack. do you just have to move through the flames cause they are orange....because I just let myself get owned

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Finished true pacifism route for the first time.

'But it refused!' had me marking out really hard and I was trying my best not to lose it during the [SAVE] segment.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

GulagDolls posted:

I still don't know how you dodge the fire monster's attack. do you just have to move through the flames cause they are orange....because I just let myself get owned

Yes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Einwand posted:

are you trying to murder me

is this your twisted way of going about a genocide run

more fanart: https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/646563617953812480

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also you know that "but nobody came" music on genocide paths? Well wasn't quite expecting this.

I feel like I should recognize that tune, but I don't...

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tallgeese posted:

I feel like I should recognize that tune, but I don't...

What's the first song you hear upon meeting Flowey?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

I still have no idea how to dodge that one attack of Temmie's.

The one with Temmie walking around, she always accelerates towards you, so you just have to alternate which pair of legs you stay close to. Sometimes people get "undodgable" movements there if they chase one pair of legs too closely and she goes flying out of the box.

For the attack where one paw snakes down, it'll turn only when it's lined up with you, so just repeatedly force it to take the longest possible path. The end result should be a spiral that hugs the edges.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
tem find best undertale soNG!!!!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

:chanpop:

I love goofy mashups

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Shut the thread down. It doesn't get better than this.

EDIT: About the backer character Muffet: The person who designed her also writes/draws the webcomic 'Ava's Demon', which is pretty good.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/avasdemon/status/645039977663987712

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

This is just perfect.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

HOLY geez, I'm dead now.

im ded.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I saw someone mention that mary cagle was putting up some undertale fanart, and they didn't even link this masterpiece.

http://www.kiwiblitz.com/uploads/1442934152-megalovaniainfinite.png
http://www.kiwiblitz.com/uploads/1442928613-undies.png
:allears: Undyne is the best

Also genocide mode spoilers behind those links.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 23, 2015

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm never gonna do what needs to be done to find out, but what happens if you do a genocide run up to Papyrus and then spare him?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just beat my first run through, the final boss owned. Does anything happen if you die during it? Since he overwrites your save and all I imagine something must happen though I doubt he'll lock you out completely.

Also, i've started my pacifist run and I never noticed that if you go back to areas you've completed all the enemies are there just hanging around for you to talk to. It's the best. :3:

Oh and Undyne owns, which I never expected considering she doesn't get to do much in a neutral playthrough. But the date at her place was the best. :allears:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does anyone have a higher res of this pie recipe image? It seems like a fun way to spend a day off but I'm having trouble reading what some of the ingredients are supposed to be.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So I'm never gonna do what needs to be done to find out, but what happens if you do a genocide run up to Papyrus and then spare him?

It becomes a neutral run. People will remark that you are a murderer and stuff but none of the special genocide stuff will trigger unless you kill absolutely everyone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

0% chance of skeleton dating.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just beat my first run through, the final boss owned. Does anything happen if you die during it? Since he overwrites your save and all I imagine something must happen though I doubt he'll lock you out completely.

Also, i've started my pacifist run and I never noticed that if you go back to areas you've completed all the enemies are there just hanging around for you to talk to. It's the best. :3:

Oh and Undyne owns, which I never expected considering she doesn't get to do much in a neutral playthrough. But the date at her place was the best. :allears:

I died like three times and went crying to the thread about it so that happens. You lose your dignity a little. he hides your save. you can go play it right now. it's right there, it's fine.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

game closes

when you reopen it he's just like "SO, BACK FOR MORE?" or various words to that effect (they change at least the first few times you die and come back) and the fight starts up without an option to load your save or anything

JuniperCake posted:

I saw someone mention that mary cagle was putting up some undertale fanart, and they didn't even link this masterpiece.

http://www.kiwiblitz.com/uploads/1442934152-megalovaniainfinite.png

genocide mode spoilers

apparently he only says that if you kill him and then reload without saving your progress (or maybe it's supposed to be for multiple encounters across multiple genocide runs?)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
butterscotch cinnamon pie sounds like an utter tooth-rotter

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Geight posted:

Does anyone have a higher res of this pie recipe image? It seems like a fun way to spend a day off but I'm having trouble reading what some of the ingredients are supposed to be.

I don't know of a higher res version, but I can read the stuff:

For the crust, flour 250g, sugar 50g, butter 125g, 1 egg yolk, nutmeg 1t, cinnamon 2t, vanilla 1t.

For the filling, flour 2T, corn flour 3T, brown sugar 150g, milk 500ml, vanilla 1t, salt 1t, butter 75g, cinnamon 4t, 1 egg.

EDIT: Yep, a tooth-rotter. Sounds really good, though.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 23, 2015

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Geight posted:

I transcribed the whole recipe for personal use earlier with some paraphrasing, http://pastebin.ca/3171735 and uploaded it here if you want to use it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Oh, another thing I noticed playing through the true pacifist end a second time:

When you SAVE Sans and Papyrus, Sans says these lines:

"just give up. i did."
"why even try?"
"you'll never see 'em again."
"nah, i'm rootin' for ya, kid."

I think they're kind of interesting; they're not revealing anything that isn't stated explicitly in the Genocide ending, but it's kind of neat to see his hang-ups laid out so plainly in a non-murder context. (I do wonder what he means by "you'll never see 'em again.") Mostly, though, I really like his ultimate response after you SAVE him; even on the verge of a happy ending, he knows you have the power to take it away, but you seem like an okay kid so, hey, might as well have your back. Maybe you'll prove him wrong.

I know Sans says "i'm rootin' for ya" when you talk to him in the hotel on a pacifist run, but does he say that in every non-genocide run? Will he still root for you even if you've been killing everyone in your path, so long as you haven't been killing literally everyone?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 23, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i love the temmies more than anything else in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i find the hives joke far funnier than i should

• Locked thread