Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Are they really going to have a meltdown if you do? Wouldn't that be kind of an overreaction?

Security is supercritical at their facility. Obviously photos would be a zero sum output.

I suspect their reaction would not be stable.

help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

I just want to sneak over and Fulton the poo poo out of those resources...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CommieGIR posted:

Security is supercritical at their facility. Obviously photos would be a zero sum output.

I suspect their reaction would not be stable.

help me

Well I guess you wouldn't want to cause any decay in their stability. No reason to be a free radical. Just need to superconduct yourself accordingly. Yes, these are getting bad, I don't care :P

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Well I guess you wouldn't want to cause any decay in their stability. No reason to be a free radical. Just need to superconduct yourself accordingly. Yes, these are getting bad, I don't care :P

Obviously their is a reaction chain that would follow such a release of photos.

I wouldn't want Ops going nuclear on me. They'd drop the bomb on my research. Yes, I love my field of research way too much, its such a fusion of knowledge and energy.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 23, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Love that poo poo, thanks for posting that. Massive machinery and stuff is always great.

I'm trying to get a day at the new site building here largely to see things and take pictures. In California, and other earthquake prone areas, we usually put the cabinets on plates that let them move a little bit. At the new site the ENTIRE computer room floor is on wheels and can move around when a quake hits. The raised floor is also exactly 3'11" because at 4' people need to wear harnesses and poo poo to prevent falls. I need to see how they did that before I leave.

Here's a shot of the earthquake plates normally used...they're the black things a couple inches tall on the ground underneath the cabinets and in the foreground. They're a pain in the rear end to work with when installing a system and dangerous because 2k+ lb cabinets floating around smash fingers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's a shot of the earthquake plates normally used...they're the black things a couple inches tall on the ground underneath the cabinets and in the foreground.

I love you Crazy Cray. Never stop.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

OH poo poo I thought the work computer blocked USB data transfer but hey I was wrong, so enjoy these cool pics of a generic coal power station with no affiliation to any one company in particular:

Parallel coal mills/pulverizers:

There's 15 of them in a row.

Pretty bad steam leak out of a pump seal:

It's a smaller pump (like only the size of my torso) for an aux system so they're running anyways.

Giant 3 story condenser:

This big guy sits under the low pressure turbine and condenses the steam back into water via cooling water from the lake.

1st extraction feedwater heater:

This guy extracts steam from the turbines and uses it to heat the water before it comes into the boiler, via shell/tube heat exchangers. Think a giant circular radiator. There's 6 of these. Per boiler Three boilers here.

That valve hand wheel is about 6 ft in diameter, by the way.

Shot of the outside of one of the units:

The corrugated 12 story metal building to the right is the boiler. Everything you see outside here is emissions equipment working the boiler exhaust. It actually draws a lot of parallels to car exhaust emissions, interestingly enough.

Here's the inside shot of those ducts, as they come off the boiler and go out to the stack:

Forced draft fans:

8 of these per boiler, and they're huge. Not only that, there's another 8 on the exhaust side. Using the FD fans to push fresh air into the boiler, and using the Induced Draft (ID) fans on the exhaust, they can adjust the pressure in the boiler to very slightly below barometric.

More to come from my afternoon jaunt. The turbine room is insane. INSANE.

Neat! My dad was a welder/repairman at a coal plant for decades. If he had an account I'm sure he could chime in with some stories. I've heard so many I can't remember most of them.

scuz posted:

:boom:

Got the job! Instant $12k/year raise, half the commute, I can even take the bus and do some major work on the jalopy. More importantly, I can start paying off the 3 credit cards I maxed-out working at my old job :unsmith:

Hooray!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously their is a reaction chain that would follow such a release of photos.

I wouldn't want Ops going nuclear on me. They'd drop the bomb on my research. Yes, I love my field of research way too much, its such a fusion of knowledge and energy.

Just relax and play some half-life.

I'm watching that B&W Fury Road linked upthread and it's fantastic.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh hey did I tell you guys that it turns out ILIKETOSMOKEWEE and I had a bunch of mutual friends and met up while he was in Detroit?

He's super chill now

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Enourmo posted:

Just relax and play some half-life.

I'm watching that B&W Fury Road linked upthread and it's fantastic.
Sorry
This video does not exist.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

Sorry
Well poo poo, I was gonna watch that later. Looks like someone put up a shady-as-heck link in the comments section but I wouldn't touch that with a 90' pole.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

scuz posted:

Well poo poo, I was gonna watch that later. Looks like someone put up a shady-as-heck link in the comments section but I wouldn't touch that with a 90' pole.

It's just a torrent.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In non-AI news, I signed up for sailing lessons. In a boat, without an engine.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'M ON A BOAT, without the engine, MOTHERFUCKERS DON'T YOU EVER FORGET!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

While Adiabatic is in a power station, I'm sitting here and my power is out. Lucky for you guys, phone posting is too much of a pain in the dick to do, so I'll quietly sit back and watch SAC emphatically tell us all how much he doesn't care.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

:stare:

So... you fuckers got up to some poo poo last night apparently.

I'll just be over here, eagerly awaiting more power station photos from Adiabatic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cage posted:

Sorry

drat, that was quick. I'm still watching from when I clicked the link.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

scuz posted:

:boom:

Got the job! Instant $12k/year raise, half the commute, I can even take the bus and do some major work on the jalopy. More importantly, I can start paying off the 3 credit cards I maxed-out working at my old job :unsmith:

Congratulations! Hope it works out great.

Adiabatic posted:

Power plant :words:

So awesome. Out here in the middle of the desert, we don't have handy lakes to provide cooling water for the power plants, which made me wonder - how does the power plant cooling affect the lake? Is the temperature increase significant enough to change the ecosystem, or is it a large enough heat-sink that it has a negligible effect?

So drat glad I don't live in earthquake prone area. Really interesting to see how they engineer around that reality though. Also, Cray's are cool.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

The Locator posted:

In non-AI news, I signed up for sailing lessons. In a boat, without an engine.

Nice! Where at/what school/what kind of boats? (! Another AI sailor!)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Nice! Where at/what school/what kind of boats? (! Another AI sailor!)

Tempe Town Lake (yes, right in the middle of the desert) in Capri 14.2's. It's done by the Arizona Sailing Foundation under US Sailing certified instructors. 5 classes spread 2 weeks apart on Saturdays, so pretty casual, which is good for me and my schedule.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Oh, cool, those look like more modern Flying Scots. Not a lot of real estate to work with water wise, though! Whats the current like in that river?

Also is this just general boat handling or will it cover racing rules as well?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Oh, cool, those look like more modern Flying Scots. Not a lot of real estate to work with water wise, though! Whats the current like in that river?

Pretty small boats, so I imagine there's enough real estate to learn the basics. They also have a regular racing series on this little lake, I think with several different small classes of boats (like Lazers). The lake has a size restriction of 30' from the water for the highest point, and no gas engines are allowed, and only small electrics.

It's a lake, so there shouldn't be any current.

Pretty sure they close the lake on the rare occasion where we have enough outflow from the upstream dams that water is flowing over the dam at the west end of this little lake.

SuperDucky posted:

Also is this just general boat handling or will it cover racing rules as well?

No idea.

There is also an optional 'bonus' day of sailing on larger boats (member boats so unknown what type until you show up I guess) on Lake Pleasant, which has a pretty big sailing area (at least big relative to here, it's not the ocean).

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh hey did I tell you guys that it turns out ILIKETOSMOKEWEE and I had a bunch of mutual friends and met up while he was in Detroit?

He's super chill now

Does he still have the BLACK SATURN ASTRA?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ilkhan posted:

Nope. Both parties are poo poo on some stuff. I poo poo on democrats more than repubs because my "most important issue" I agree with the repubs on, but both have major parties have issues in my opinion.

Well? We're waiting.......

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Oh wow it's actually a lake. Guess I was zoomed in too far. 30' from the water would make it so that anything bigger than a Capri 18 wouldn't be allowed!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

StormDrain posted:

:bahgawd: Moochers! Mah Taxes!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Does he still have the BLACK SATURN ASTRA?

Nope

He did gtfo outta Detroit and is now making a comfy 6.5 figgies coding out in LA

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

You can't guess by the AR15 bolt face in his avatar? I thought that would be a dead giveaway what his conservative-leaning main issue might be.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

You can't guess by the AR15 bolt face in his avatar? I thought that would be a dead giveaway what his conservative-leaning main issue might be.

Guns own tho

I'm finally out of California so I really should go shooting more. Hell, maybe I can even buy another pistol. Gotta tell the ATF I've moved, though, update my C&R license.

China, IL is pretty goddamn awesome, and I'm depressed that I've almost finished the third season.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Oh wow it's actually a lake. Guess I was zoomed in too far. 30' from the water would make it so that anything bigger than a Capri 18 wouldn't be allowed!

Looks like they used to rent Capri 14's and 22's (they don't appear to rent sailboats at all any more though, bummer). It's possible the rules have changed over time though.

The bridge clearances to the water are actually quite a bit less than 30', so parts of the lake would be restricted for sailboats completely.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Guns own tho

I'm not disputing that :confused:

Just saying that's probably his single issue that aligns him with the conservatives. Don't you think?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Guns own tho

They do. But its not a good tradeoff reason to vote GOP to protect your guns while at the same time also voting for their outright disastrous policies regarding everything else under the sun.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
New boss at the job asked my buddy who works there whether I'm gay because of the bright orange shirt I wore to the interview :psyduck:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tusen Takk posted:

Nope

He did gtfo outta Detroit and is now making a comfy 6.5 figgies coding out in LA

What is your threshold for 0.5 figures?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

New boss at the job asked my buddy who works there whether I'm gay because of the bright orange shirt I wore to the interview :psyduck:

.......:stare:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

What is your threshold for 0.5 figures?

It's a yospos joke making fun of someone who said "6.5 figgies" to mean "$150k", which is neither $500k nor 10^(5.5)=$316k. I guess it's a meme now?

scuz posted:

lmao are you sure you want to work for these people? Sounds like quite a piece of work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn't even wear a bow tie! Also mentioned during the whole "why are you leaving your company now" question that my girlfriend and I just bought a house. Do people buy houses with their beards? Does that happen? I don't think that happens.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

scuz posted:

I didn't even wear a bow tie! Also mentioned during the whole "why are you leaving your company now" question that my girlfriend and I just bought a house. Do people buy houses with their beards? Does that happen? I don't think that happens.

Only if the house has sizable closets. :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

I'm not disputing that :confused:

Just saying that's probably his single issue that aligns him with the conservatives. Don't you think?

Sure! I just wanted to say guns are super cool.

I typed up a political thing but I'd rather tell you about pizzas and cats since that annoys SAC so much. I don't have a cat but I do have a frozen pizza in the freezer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys, what is your most anticipated movie, and why is is The Martian?

I just discovered the Ares Live youtube channel.

• Locked thread