Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or even better, just start working on some convoluted nefarious plot and he'll turn up all on his own.

Dalek Sec: "Okay, what if we invert the flow of time in a pocket universe and use that to de-evolve all the birds in the zoo into raptors and then give them all null-space dimensional disruptors which allow them to teleport to Earth ..."
Dr Who runs in: ">puff puff< Sorry I'm late, what'd I miss?"

I'm sure that's happened at some point, right? Somebody's started up some big, convoluted and highly visible plan, which we later find out is solely a way to get the Doctor to turn up so he can look at a real, although much more minor problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

2house2fly posted:

That's the thing with "Moffat needs to go," I've never seen anyone follow that statement up with "and be replaced by:"

Bring back RTD.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

After The War posted:

While Nick Briggs is obviously never going to be considered for television anyway, I don't think he'd want the job. He's never had to deal nationwide ratings, a food chain of producers and executives, and so on (not to mention all the additional hassles that result from combining the head writer and producer roles, such as shooting budgets, set requirements, rubber spiders, etc.) I love to call him "the luckiest fan of all time" because, unlike other lifers-in-charge (RTD, GMS and JNT), he's completely build his own little niche with fewer people to please. He doesn't need to worry about future career in television, let alone burnout.

Now, getting a few episodes written by him would be a different story, although something like Creatures of Beauty would probably melt a lot of viewers' brains. :getin:

Nick Briggs is a mediocre scriptwriter. His dialogue lacks flair and his plotting is workmanlike at best. Stuff like Creatures of Beauty is an aberration.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Nick Briggs is a mediocre scriptwriter. His dialogue lacks flair and his plotting is workmanlike at best. Stuff like Creatures of Beauty is an aberration.

Then isn’t his work just as good as most of Gatiss’ Who output?

Frozen Time. :colbert:

Besides, even if his writing isn’t up to task, his production skills are top notch. Could be a solid showrunner in the unlikely event.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

That's the thing with "Moffat needs to go," I've never seen anyone follow that statement up with "and be replaced by:"

Idris Elba. And don't give me that "he's too urban" bullshit. He'd be an excellent showrunner.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Idris Elba. And don't give me that "he's too urban" bullshit. He'd be an excellent showrunner.

Only if he also somehow plays the Doctor.

I vote for Nicolas Winding Refn. He said he wanted to do an episode of Who. How about a few series?

And More fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 23, 2015

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

And More posted:

Only if he also somehow plays the Doctor.
If they film another multi-Doctor special he could punch McGann again.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the sections where Davros is talking about the Daleks as his "children", as well as admitting that he has zero control over them and glorying to the fact that they're holding out on exterminating Clara till she runs. I like the idea that at the end of his life and resigned to his fate (which I don't believe for a second) he's willing to just sit back and enjoy the fruits of his labor, and enjoy the fact his "kids" are doing so well.

So is this supposed to be before Davros blew up on that ship back during Tennant's run or is this supposed to imply he survived that and this is really the end of his life?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mr Beens posted:

Agreed. People just throw out writers that have done good stories as possible showrunners with no idea at all if they are qualified to do the job. Writing for a show is completely different to managing the shows output.

As evidenced by Moffat.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I just want the drat Dr to get in his TARDIS and go back in time X billion years when Skaro was just forming and shove the loving thing in the local star and be done with these loving Daleks already. Come up with new stories please.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:siren: It's happening! :siren:

Ten/Donna adventures from Big Finish!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Oh wow. Well, that's great news.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I just want the drat Dr to get in his TARDIS and go back in time X billion years when Skaro was just forming and shove the loving thing in the local star and be done with these loving Daleks already. Come up with new stories please.

Did one better - said "Ol' Mr. Davros, whatever you do, don't throw me in that briar patch activate that super weapon!" and Davros blew up Skaro for him.

You see how long that lasted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So

This was the big news they hinted at months ago before throwing us off the trail right?

Because holy poo poo

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Only if he gives the 40 degree (4 degrees Celsius) day speech to the show writers after every ratings dip.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Ohhh man. Ten/Donna audios. Oh my god, the door's opening for new series stuff in Big Finish. I am on board, I am totally 100% on board what a great day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I really have no reason to watch the show anymore for my Doctor Who fix.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Welp, I guess it's time to get into the audios then.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Rewatching it, there's a glaring flaw in the bit where Missy opens the airlock. Clara is completely wrong, they wouldn't get sucked out if they were in space. They would get blown out.

Then what is sucking?

I get the joke, it's air pushing them out, not the vacuum pulling them. But if that's the case then there's no such thing as sucking. It can't exist, because it's only ever blowing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well poo poo, now I have to figure out how to make time to listen to audio dramas, too?

Sorry podcasts, no time, you're out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Then what is sucking?

I get the joke, it's air pushing them out, not the vacuum pulling them. But if that's the case then there's no such thing as sucking. It can't exist, because it's only ever blowing.

Well you've never heard of a suck job have you?

The only thing that sucks anymore are Moffat's scripts

:)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Ohhh wow, that's massive news! Good for BF. Will be interesting to see who they've got for the scripts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Forktoss posted:

Ohhh wow, that's massive news! Good for BF. Will be interesting to see who they've got for the scripts.

Turns out this entire series was written by little known fan, David Tenant Age 12.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Burkion posted:

Well you've never heard of a suck job have you?

The only thing that sucks anymore are Moffat's scripts

:)

A blowjob actually involves sucking.

Q.E loving D.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope they bring Wilf into the audios too. That is awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I know that blog is pretty reliable, but I'm waiting for BF to make the announcement before I get too excited.

EDIT: Actually stunned no-one has done "What...? What?! ...WHAT?!?" yet.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 23, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A blowjob actually involves sucking.

Q.E loving D.

Strictly speaking all "sucking" is actually blowing, you're just decreasing the pressure in one part so ambient pressure pushes in.

Supposedly one of the really disturbing things about being in a vacuum is that no matter how hard you try, you always keep on blowing out.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I can't begin to tell you what I'm thinking right now.

Edit - this might be why Big Finish shut down their forums on Monday. To avoid the potential overload.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 23, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And when the time comes, all the CDs and download links for Ten/Donna stories will be swapped for/redirect to Six/Evelyn. :unsmigghh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

six-and-donna please and thank you

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DoctorWhat posted:

six-and-donna please and thank you

Seconded.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Charles Stross is a writer I'd like to see get a shot at Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if he's ever done anything for telly before.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If River Song is going to be in the Eighth Doctor series BF apparently has the go-ahead to mix and match classic series characters with new ones, so anything's possible. There's a whole lot of possibilities in here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna
six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna six&donna

*gasp*

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Charles Stross is a writer I'd like to see get a shot at Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if he's ever done anything for telly before.

If i ever win the lottery I'm paying to get the Laundry Files adapted for tv, Game of Thrones style. There are a few British scifi/fantasy authors i would love to either contribute a story idea or write a full script. It has worked before: we briefly had Douglas Adams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I didn't know dreams came true.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
A fun little Dr Who video remix from the Eclectic Method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLEMTeDI9mM

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
So clearly Big Finish should just take over as showrunners once Moffat is done, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tavarin posted:

So clearly Big Finish should just take over as showrunners once Moffat is done, right?

...no.

Big Finish is not as good or as revolutionary as it once was, unfortunately. Hell, in the handful of years between Peri and the Piscon Paradox and The Widow's Assassin, BF took a considerable nosedive in terms of being radical or subversive, both of which Who should really be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He's gonna be too busy being the new James Bond :c00l:

:vince:

I always hoped they'd get Tennant to do Big Finish Doctor Who stories, but never in my wildest dreams did I think they'd get the best revival Who companion back on board as well. loving awesome.

• Locked thread