Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kai Tave posted:

Contrariness for contrariness' sake isn't exactly the height of creativity, though.

It is for these types. Everything is so regimented and defined in 3.5 every asinine niche is its own class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

If a fighter chokeslamming a dragon or Mayor Haggar piledriving a Sentinel motherfucking GALACTUS is wrong, then the world is a lie

A lie told by funhating babies

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 24, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's the same mentality that my friend had, that jumped through all sorts of hoops and thought of all kinds of theorycrafting to play a melee Demon Hunter in Diablo 3

Eh, perhaps. Playing off-type in a video game and playing off-type in a TTRPG are different in at least one important qualitative way. The aesthetics of a video game class are fixed*, but the aesthetics of a character in a TTRPG are (in theory) totally mutable.

*Mods can of course alter the aesthetics of a video game class, but modding is not a universally held skill or inclination.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Abjad Soup posted:

If a fighter chokeslamming a dragon or Mayor Haggar piledriving a Sentinel is wrong, then the world is a lie

Mate, that's no Sentinel. That's motherfucking GALACTUS.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Kurieg posted:

you can take a background that will allow you to pick history as a trained skill. Or take a multiclass feat later that will give you history as a trained skill. There's only trained and untrained, there's no longer "Sort of trained but twice as expensive."

As it turns out, one can pick the scholar background that not only provides additional languages and trained skills, it also provides additional languages and skills as the character continues to level, and allows the selection of utility powers that temporarily boost skill rolls by a significant margin (+5), reflecting the fact that this is an intelligent character that knows what's going on in life. I predict that this won't be acceptable for X reason though.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

TheBlandName posted:

Eh, perhaps. Playing off-type in a video game and playing off-type in a TTRPG are different in at least one important qualitative way. The aesthetics of a video game class are fixed*, but the aesthetics of a character in a TTRPG are (in theory) totally mutable.

*Mods can of course alter the aesthetics of a video game class, but modding is not a universally held skill or inclination.

You're also likely playing by yourself or it's a lot easier for other people to leave for a new group if you're playing something weird in a video game. In a TTRPG your friends are stuck in the basement with you and your gnome fighter dentist.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's the same mentality that my friend had, that jumped through all sorts of hoops and thought of all kinds of theorycrafting to play a melee Demon Hunter in Diablo 3

Nah, theorycrafting that way is usually a problem solving excercise. You want to see if you can make X viable because you've got a known baseline to work towards and fixed options. No wanting to play a ranger because you want a bow-using fighter is an issue due to lack of problem-solving ability. At least when not done by people who're treating tabletop games like MMOs (which is fine but those people usually aren't so lacking in creativity they can't play a guy with a bow unless their sheet says fighter).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Contrariness for contrariness' sake isn't exactly the height of creativity, though.
Well... yeah. I didn't have any deep backstory for the bow fighter I made in 3.5, I just wanted to try something I hadn't seen before. (It worked okay through the first six levels, like most 3.5 non-magic characters.) And there isn't anything wrong with that attitude. Really!. But... 'Bow fighter grogs'--for want of a better term--weren't happy that the rules now supported flexibility in concept that could remain on-par mechanically. Instead they resented a rules system that tried to accomodate the idea, because it robbed them of a cheap, lazy way to pretend you were an original thinker by pointlessly flouting convention.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Everything is so regimented and defined in 3.5 every asinine niche is its own class.
On the martial side, you need a hybrid class, prestige class, or special niche class to get anything neat. On the spellcasting side, they made a ton of niche classes but the PHB wizard class just gets all the neat arcane spells, and PrCs are either gravy or not worth taking.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

On the martial side, you need a hybrid class, prestige class, or special niche class to get anything neat. On the spellcasting side, they made a ton of niche classes but the PHB wizard class just gets all the neat arcane spells, and PrCs are either gravy or not worth taking.

To the extent that the main measure of a PrC's power is if you lose spellcasting levels. Give up any of those? Not worth it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
On the divine side there's Charop's bestest of friends, the Archivist.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

remusclaw posted:

I'm not much of a fan of classes all together. They constrain the brain more than they do the concept.

No they don't. It's simply that classes have been cargo-cult design for the overwhelming majority of the history of RPGs. I'm serious when I say that the first new genuinely class based RPG I am aware of after oD&D in 1974 was Apocalypse World in 2010.

What a genuinely class based game does is allows different players at the same gaming table to be playing what are essentially different games at the same time. In oD&D (this was gone by 3.0 of course) a fighter and a wizard have very different play experiences. Different paces of play. They don't even share the same loot. What one can do is completely different from what the other can do. And even moreso in Apocalypse World. If the party is a Hardholder, an Angel, a Brainer, and a Skinner their experiences and place in the world is so different that they might as well be playing four separate games with different motivations, different victory conditions (that may or may not have anything to do with each other) and otherwise a completely different experience.

This is extremely different from e.g. Cyberpunk 2020 where your class was basically a couple of special abilities.

(There's one other use of class based games - the one found in e.g. Feng Shui 2 where classes are essentially part-made pregens, allowing you to start playing in minutes).

Halloween Jack posted:

I had this, just...exasperating argument with some people who want a fighter who is balanced with the wizard and able to do stuff like fight dragons, but who is a "mundane fighter" that doesn't do anything that could be called anime, or wuxia, or comic-book-superhero, or anything else not in keeping with the style of how they remember pulp sword-and-sorcery. (As opposed to what it was actually like...)
D&D causes brain damage.

I'm not sure who it causes brain damage to. You're as mired in D&D assumptions as they are.

There's a simple way of making the fighter realistic and able to keep up with the wizard. The single most unrealistic part of D&D is hit points. Every attack from the fighter should be Save or Die. I mean people don't survive being stabbed by an expert fighter with a sword even once. Dragons? Eyes or down its throat (use a bow). A balanced mundane fighter should be terrifying - their lack of extra abilities to get to the combat are made up for by the fact that every attack's a potential killer.

(Also fighters should get amazing saving throws - and free perception checks to see through illusionary defences like Mirror Image or even Invisibility).

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

I'm not sure who it causes brain damage to. You're as mired in D&D assumptions as they are.

There's a simple way of making the fighter realistic and able to keep up with the wizard. The single most unrealistic part of D&D is hit points. Every attack from the fighter should be Save or Die. I mean people don't survive being stabbed by an expert fighter with a sword even once. Dragons? Eyes or down its throat (use a bow). A balanced mundane fighter should be terrifying - their lack of extra abilities to get to the combat are made up for by the fact that every attack's a potential killer.

Source your quotes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Abjad Soup posted:

If a fighter chokeslamming a dragon or Mayor Haggar piledriving a Sentinel is wrong, then the world is a lie

Fun sucks though

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Classes also let you have guaranteed game focuses with a variety of niches. D&D is a game about killing things and taking their stuff, but you do that in a variety of ways, compared to combat builds in more self-constructed systems where things trend towards the singular "best build".

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Fun sucks though

Fun is deeply problematic.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Apocalypse World is deliberately unbalanced, first of all, and second of all,

Countblanc posted:

Fun sucks though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In my opinion, 4e was a fantastic version of d&d, but there are a few things it did really wrong.

For example, lock specific proficiencies on classes. The versatility of the Fighter was sort of lost in this edition, where they could only wield a sword/shield or a two-handed weapon. The powers wouldn't work for a ranged fighter (bow), and there were a couple debates at my table about how to interpret them with polearms or anything else that gave reach.

quote:

Yeah, one of my favorite characters to play as (i.e. neglecting lore/personality) was a fighter dual-crossbow wielder in 3.5e with a level in mage so he could shoot on the order of 100-200 bolts per turn by level 20 (something like that). I miss the silly brokenness of 3.5e.

Why not play a Ranger? They have the same power source, and even if you don't want to "refluff" any of the powers you can still pick those that don't have any connection to the Nature part of the Ranger. Like, a quick browse of the PHB 1:

Level 1: Careful Attack at-will, Twin Strike at-will, Evasive Strike encounter, Split the Tree daily
Level 2: Yield Ground utility
Level 3: Disruptive Strike encounter
Level 4: -
Level 5: Excruciating Shot daily

quote:

But that's also a good example of what I'm saying, right?
Q: How do you play a fighter with a bow?
A: You play a ranger.
My point was more that, after the open nature of 3.x, 4e puts classes on a slightly narrower track. I think that this is only a big issue for those players that like to make little unique snowflake characters, but there's some validity to it.

What is the definition of "fighter" in that question in the first place? Which class specializes in ranged damage-dealing without using "spells"? The first part of the question leads us to Striker, and the second part of the question leads us to the Martial power source, which then comes out to a Ranger on some chart with Power Source and Role as the axes.

I get that it's a change from classes that used to be more about a broad theme than anything else, but it's arguably a change that needed to happen because otherwise you're in this weird space where Fighter just means "guy who fights, in general" which then isn't that distinct from Barbarian, Ranger or Paladin.

quote:

To my table (and players), the 3.x definition of Fighter was "versatility." A class that didn't have any level dependent abilities and you could use to build anything as long as there was a feat for it, because a Fighter was a catch-all for anything who didn't fall into the lines of Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin, etc.

Honestly, if they had simply renamed the class to "Warrior" or "Champion" or something when releasing 4e, it probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's vitally important that the Fighter serve the role of "dumping ground for whatever leftover poo poo that wasn't already parceled out to the other classes."

Also versatility = as long as you buy the right combination of feats, buddy.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

gradenko_2000 posted:

To my table (and players), the 3.x definition of Fighter was "versatility." A class that didn't have any level dependent abilities and you could use to build anything as long as there was a feat for it, because a Fighter was a catch-all for anything who didn't fall into the lines of Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin, etc.

Honestly, if they had simply renamed the class to "Warrior" or "Champion" or something when releasing 4e, it probably wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

"I don't accept that I have to pick any class name other than fighter, and I don't want to choose anything other than fighter powers" On the other hand, it's all about what feats they can use. This is so incredibly arbitrary, isn't it? Feats are okay, but powers... no man, powers and a class name kicked my dog once.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That whole thing about "A class that didn't have any level dependent abilities" is also complete bunk considering feat chains and feats that need certain amounts of BAB.

Like, you're going to tell me that Whirlwind Attack isn't level-dependent?

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Effectronica posted:

I still don't understand how you can get this mad about loving nu-metal.

Diztyrbud and Pudddle off Mudd trigger a cortisol tidal wave? I dunno. It's just an awful genre. I would just rather be stuck on a deserted island with an ipod full of Taylor Swift than listen to 1/10th of a Syztem 0f 4 DVN album.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

It's vitally important that the Fighter serve the role of "dumping ground for whatever leftover poo poo that wasn't already parceled out to the other classes."

Also versatility = as long as you buy the right combination of feats, buddy.

Because of this, I have never seen or played a 3.PF Fighter who was actually 'versatile' and at all effective; you have to hyper specialize to even pull off one mediocre trick, generally.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Because of this, I have never seen or played a 3.PF Fighter who was actually 'versatile' and at all effective; you have to hyper specialize to even pull off one mediocre trick, generally.
it's possible to pull off, but the end result doesn't look much like a fighter

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Diztyrbud and Pudddle off Mudd trigger a cortisol tidal wave? I dunno. It's just an awful genre. I would just rather be stuck on a deserted island with an ipod full of Taylor Swift than listen to 1/10th of a Syztem 0f 4 DVN album.

You don't get to shittalk Taylor Swiftspear.

Oh and my middle school self says hey. You both like to make similar posts.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Haha, this all reminds me of how bad of a music grog I was back in school. As I've gotten older, I usually find something really loving cool in everything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Like, you're going to tell me that Whirlwind Attack isn't level-dependent?

Whirlwind Attack is even worse because it requires Dex 13+, Int 13+, neither of which are particularly vital for a melee fighter. The extra woundsalt is requiring an odd level of an attribute, even though nothing else does, just to try and justify why odd levels of attributes exist at all.

Meanwhile, there are no metamagic feats of note with attribute requirements, because

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Lightning Lord posted:

You don't get to shittalk Taylor Swiftspear.

Oh and my middle school self says hey. You both like to make similar posts.

I don't have anything against Taylor Swift. I don't believe I've ever actually heard any of her songs. Same for Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

But you're right. I'm shutting up about this now.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Another issue with the D&D model as of 3rd and 5th edition is that each and every book adds more to caster's ability's but only adds more options to martials. Wizards get wider and taller and fighters get wider but stay the same height.

E: When I say classes constrain the brain more than the concept I mean people have a habit of limiting themselves on what a class does and is, based on preconceptions they have about what the name means, where there is no such limitation in concept. They are the people who walk up to the shop-keep and introduce themselves as Gary the thief.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pfox posted:

"I don't accept that I have to pick any class name other than fighter, and I don't want to choose anything other than fighter powers" On the other hand, it's all about what feats they can use. This is so incredibly arbitrary, isn't it? Feats are okay, but powers... no man, powers and a class name kicked my dog once.

A friend of mine adamantly believes that the issue with powers is the flavor text, because apparently in her experience people just do what the flavor text (or ability name) implies they do and never narrate differently???? It sounds like bullshit but she likes Strike which basically has the same poo poo with generic power names and no flavor text so maybe she's just gamed with really weird people.

Serf
May 5, 2011

For some reason my players never had an issue with reskinning stuff or thinking outside the box. Like the aforementioned baseball wizard straight-up asked me if his magic missile could be a fastball instead and I said "It can be whatever you want" and my players just rolled with it. It's always so weird to me when people take the flavor text incredibly seriously like it has to be the only way things can go. Even mechanical stuff like changing the elemental type of an attack, who cares? One of my players rolled a fire sword for random loot (no, I don't know why we did this, we had no clue) and thought that a lightning sword fit their character better, and so it was. The fact that some people out there are unable to deviate from what the book says just blows my mind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

A friend of mine adamantly believes that the issue with powers is the flavor text, because apparently in her experience people just do what the flavor text (or ability name) implies they do and never narrate differently???? It sounds like bullshit but she likes Strike which basically has the same poo poo with generic power names and no flavor text so maybe she's just gamed with really weird people.

Well this sort of thing is the crux of the whole "dissociated mechanics" business where every game mechanic has to mean a single, specific, concrete thing. If you have a power called "Tripping Blow" or whatever but when you use it you narrate it as you punching someone in the stomach so hard they crumple to the ground then uh-oh, you've just dissociated the mechanic and now Justin Alexander is going to lecture you condescendingly for an hour.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

From the same thread as earlier:

quote:

I loved 4e. Combat was quick and fun, if your players were familiar with all their abilities, and were able to plan out their minor, move, standard before their turn hit. Every time I played my turns lasted on average 30sec to a minute.
And there wasn't much about 4e in my opinion that prevented good storytelling. My one gripe about the system is probably bloat. In particular, power bloat. Having too-descriptive names for the powers made it less likely that people would say something like "I swing my hammer in an arc, and bring down fiery justice on the head of the unbeliever". Instead, I use power X on him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thing that always gets me about this is even if people are just saying "I use [POWER NAME]" like some kind of robot or whatever this is how spells have always worked in D&D in every edition, I bet you a hundred bucks that far more people simply say "I cast Melf's Acid Arrow" than give some florid description of how they weave the aether into acidic bolts and send them hurtling etc. etc. It's probably how most people handle a lot of their stuff if they aren't feeling especially creative spellcaster or no, or did every 3.X Fighter player launch into a spate of color commentary every time they wanted to use Whirlwind Strike?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kai Tave posted:

The thing that always gets me about this is even if people are just saying "I use [POWER NAME]" like some kind of robot or whatever this is how spells have always worked in D&D in every edition, I bet you a hundred bucks that far more people simply say "I cast Melf's Acid Arrow" than give some florid description of how they weave the aether into acidic bolts and send them hurtling etc. etc. It's probably how most people handle a lot of their stuff if they aren't feeling especially creative spellcaster or no, or did every 3.X Fighter player launch into a spate of color commentary every time they wanted to use Whirlwind Strike?

I go into a berserker rage!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

Exalted 1E's stunt rules seemed to come out of exactly this, trying to avoid 'I use Power X!' which Exalted gave exceptionally long and florid names but still boiled down to basically resource-gated feats and they offered you bonus dice to describe things a little more interestingly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Well, every time there's a thread about "how do I make combat more interesting?", the boilerplate response is always always having the players narrate their characters' attacks with more purple prose, so yeah, that's exactly what I would expect happens.

I don't know, personally every time I've DM'd a game of D&D the paladin/monk/fighter would usually just go "I hit him with my warhammer/strike him with my quarterstaff/swing my battleaxe" and that was always good enough for the players. They'd only call out "I try to bust his kneecaps" because the thief they were chasing was literally trying to get away, and then of course you try to enable that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Funny how the solution to their problem is "Fighters shouldn't get spells" and not "wizards shouldn't get spells either", since "I cast fireball" is pretty boring too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

D&D causes brain damage.

Since we're coming around to this again, your big rambling defense about this where you pretend you weren't defending it kind of disregarded that Ron Edwards's original rant was all based on White Wolf games and the Storyteller system. a lot of it could be generally applicable to D&D, yeah, but it could also be applied to any number of older systems with a large following, or hell, consumerist nerd culture as a whole.

Edwards did do a whole series of separate articles on D&D and the impact it has on rpgs, player/designer assumptions, genre fiction, etc. that are interesting reads if anyone can stand his insufferable prose

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nuns with Guns posted:

Since we're coming around to this again, your big rambling defense about this where you pretend you weren't defending it kind of disregarded that Ron Edwards's original rant was all based on White Wolf games and the Storyteller system. a lot of it could be generally applicable to D&D, yeah, but it could also be applied to any number of older systems with a large following, or hell, consumerist nerd culture as a whole.

Edwards did do a whole series/ur] of [url=http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/9/]separate/url] [url=http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/10/]articles on D&D and the impact it has on rpgs, player/designer assumptions, genre fiction, etc. that are interesting reads if anyone can stand his insufferable prose

You've got a point, but this hobby really does seem to cause edit: horrible poo poo to the imaginations of its participants.

What follows is why 5e allows roleplaying a "smart fighter" and 4e forces you to roleplay a statblock:

quote:

The fact that 5e put a lid on everything. Even when trying very hard to min/max there's a point where there's no further improvement in that area. 4e's complete lack of caps and direct requirement of magic items appropriate to level means that you constantly have to improve in areas related directly to character effectiveness.

4e allows you to play a character by finding the race and class that facilitates the idea, the system encouraging min/maxing but never forcing a point where there's an actual max to go to. 5e lets you play a character, since the caps are pretty easy to reach there's no continued urgency to "have more this" or "get higher that."

Is there a difference between the two? No, but only 5e truly allows roleplaying.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 25, 2015

• Locked thread