Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't mind that as an avenue for them to play with even if it feels a bit like a soulless cash grab based on taking elements from other popular shows and inserting MUPPETS.

What, then, would you call The Muppet Show?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Did the Muppet's always have legs, that was a little weird to me.

Everything with Dr. Teeth and the Band was gold.

The Muppets as characters always have had legs. The actual puppets only have legs in the shots where you actually see them. They show them much more often these days though since the special effects to do full body shots are much easier than they were in the 70s.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Lizard Wizard posted:

What, then, would you call The Muppet Show?

Not saying the original wasn't, just that it didn't feel as transparent?

CapnBoomstick
Jan 20, 2006
I'll admit it, I laughed at Fozzie's bears-poo poo-in-the-woods joke.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Caryna posted:

I grew up with the Muppets and I still like it the new show. I'm pretty sure it's just a heavy outbreak of rose-tinted glasses syndrome. It's a different show, the characters have moved on an adapted to the current tech and TV (show) business. Maybe it's time for people to move on as well and be open to new concepts?

New concepts like watching Fozzy struggle with the disapproval of his girlfriend's parents, or watching Kermit and Piggy's heartfelt breakup? Yeah, no, if moving on means the loving Muppets of all things need to lose their cartoonish edge and become more serious, then I will very gladly stick with my "rose-tinted glasses" and continue to watch my Muppet Show DVDs.

And complain about how they never loving finished releasing the whole series. :mad:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
On the topic of muppets and legs:

http://youtu.be/aiUOzmy0CUc

I have read so many explanations of how they did that and I still have no idea how they did that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Diabolik900 posted:

The Muppets as characters always have had legs. The actual puppets only have legs in the shots where you actually see them. They show them much more often these days though since the special effects to do full body shots are much easier than they were in the 70s.

It's just wrong, it took me so far out of the loving show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sbaldrick posted:

I agree, puppets are serious business

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

puppets are serious business

Seems to be the direction of the show, at least.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
The TV IV > The Muppets - Puppets are Serious Business

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jamesman posted:

New concepts like watching Fozzy struggle with the disapproval of his girlfriend's parents, or watching Kermit and Piggy's heartfelt breakup? Yeah, no, if moving on means the loving Muppets of all things need to lose their cartoonish edge and become more serious, then I will very gladly stick with my "rose-tinted glasses" and continue to watch my Muppet Show DVDs.

What exactly about the interracial relationship between a woman and a man-sized bear puppet who happens to be an idiot and a bad comedian do you find serious?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zoot with the rehab joke was pretty funny, but the plot(?) didn't really go anywhere and then it just... ends. Nothing really to hate or get excited about.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Yeah was there anything after the final commercial break? I flipped the channel and came back and it was Imagine Dragons playing and then credits.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really enjoyed the show. I'd say it's more Larry Sanders Show than The Office, despite the docucam thing. It was bizarre and a little bit more racy than I expected. Also Kermit delivers some pretty great sass.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm guessing they are going for a vibe similar to the Simpsons in that it's mostly family friendly but occasionally delves into more adult oriented material, the pilot seemed like it was trying to find the balance but hadn't reached it yet so hopefully once it finds its feet we could have someonthg pretty drat good.

Also I'm gonna have to demand more Pepe!

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Wasn't The Muppet Show's pilot episode titled "Sex and Violence"?

Think of the children.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
What ever happened to Rolf? I missed his presence

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What ever happened to Rolf? I missed his presence

It was said that they weren't ever going to have him speak again after Henson's death, since he was the first Muppet, but I'm pretty sure they've reversed their decision on that. Maybe they just didn't want to bring all the muppets in at once in the first episode? I mean, was Sweetum there?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here's something that stood out as wrong:

When Honeydew tazers Beaker. It was pure malice. Honeydew hurting Beaker, in the past, had aways been due to being a bit daft and not realizing what was going to happen. But in this case he just attacks him.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's the new darker and grittier Muppets

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Miss Piggy is literally Jenna Maroney in Muppet form. I thought it was solid and while no show will ever be 30 Rock, this was good enough I'm willing to commit too watching several episodes. Give some leeway, almost every pilot of amazing tv shows started out only a fraction as good.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Waltzing Along posted:

When Honeydew tazers Beaker. It was pure malice. Honeydew hurting Beaker, in the past, had aways been due to being a bit daft and not realizing what was going to happen. But in this case he just attacks him.

Really? I didn't get that. He's still a little daft. He said it was perfectly safe! He was wearing protective gloves, you see.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lizard Wizard posted:

What exactly about the interracial relationship between a woman and a man-sized bear puppet who happens to be an idiot and a bad comedian do you find serious?

Seriously I don't know what show some people watched.

Yes this dinner scene where the father angrily accused the bear puppet of wanting to go through their trash and making GBS threads in the woods, truly this is a grim look at the pain and stigma around interracial couples.

The breakup thing was a bit more serious but the entire bit was that it ended with her hating an actress who's poster was adjacent to her when the breakup happened. It was a joke.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm almost 100% sure that *Honeydew does something pointlessly dangerous to Beaker* *Someone asks 'is that safe* *Honeydew says 'don't worry I'm wearing (insert protective gear here)'* was a bit that the original show did multiple times.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Davros1 posted:

It was said that they weren't ever going to have him speak again after Henson's death, since he was the first Muppet, but I'm pretty sure they've reversed their decision on that. Maybe they just didn't want to bring all the muppets in at once in the first episode? I mean, was Sweetum there?

Of course they didn't have all the muppets there, they were missing my namesake!

I seriously wonder if my homeboy is going to be in this muppets at all.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I enjoyed it and will keep watching for Statler and Waldorf burns alone.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Bean posted:

I seriously wonder if my homeboy is going to be in this muppets at all.

Hes the owner/bartender of the bar that they sometimes go to after work - I guess they just couldn't fit him into the pilot.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

sbaldrick posted:

They rode bikes in the Great Muppet Caper back in the 80s, legs are nothing new.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Davros1 posted:

I mean, was Sweetum there?

Sweetums tried to drag Animal out of the drum at the end.

I loved Fozzie's comment about the hazards of online dating: "When your profile says 'passionate bear looking for love', you get a LOT of wrong responses."

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dave Syndrome posted:

I loved Fozzie's comment about the hazards of online dating: "When your profile says 'passionate bear looking for love', you get a LOT of wrong responses."

Not wrong...just wrong for me

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So One Million Moms is boycotting the Muppets. Plus and minus to this. Minus = your kid demo is shot, but the time slot change meant it was probably going to dip anyway. Plus = Anything OMM hates, everyone else races to see, because they tend to suck. So your target adult audience is going to go up.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Pan Dulce posted:

So One Million Moms is boycotting the Muppets. Plus and minus to this. Minus = your kid demo is shot, but the time slot change meant it was probably going to dip anyway. Plus = Anything OMM hates, everyone else races to see, because they tend to suck. So your target adult audience is going to go up.

It'll pass. The network would do well to just sit and twiddle its thumbs while those crotchety biddies gesticulate.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I liked it. If anything, they've toned down the edgy/racy humor. http://youtu.be/g2aeGQLZnRA

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I loved it. It had me laughing from start to finish. Yes it's different from other muppet stuff but who cares? Let them try this and see where it goes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dave Syndrome posted:

It'll pass. The network would do well to just sit and twiddle its thumbs while those crotchety biddies gesticulate.

Hell of a post, right here.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CPColin posted:

Hell of a post, right here.

Can't post "hell".

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dave Syndrome posted:

:golfclap:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PotatoJudge posted:

They rode bikes in the Great Muppet Caper back in the 80s, legs are nothing new.

They showed both Kermit and Fozzie with legs in the first Muppet movie, so while rare, they've shown them since the beginning.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Everybody should subscribe to Henson Rarities. You'll get to see gems such as The Muppets host Nightline, every Wilkins Coffee commercial, this AMAZING Henson sales pitch video and digitally restored episodes of Muppets Tonight and The Jim Henson Hour.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

If nothing else, click this. The Wilkins Coffee commercials are gold.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That makes sense. This show, in comparison, is a completely different beast altogether - does anything think it's a reflection on how comedy has drastically changed over the years? Are the writers are trying too hard to be "edgy" and "cynical"? (Granted, when I think of The Muppets, the last things that come to mind are "edgy" and "cynical", so maybe that's the overarching problem here)

This is a great point. I'm not even sure who this is supposed to be geared towards, as those who've grown up with the Muppets seem to absolutely despise this (from general consensus).

The original Muppet Show was kind of an all ages show. It was probably one of the original shows where the kids would laugh at a joke, but then setup a joke that the kids would miss, but the parents would get. (OK Rocky and Bullwinkle was pretty good at that too, but how many of us are old enough to argue that point.)

I suppose if you want a totally kid friendly muppet show, I know a street where they do that, and if someone were to ask, I could give them directions.

I liked the pilot, it seems like it's borrowing a bit from 30 Rock. But since 30 Rock was usually pretty funny, I've got no complaints.

Back during the days of the Muppet Show, Kermit was the show producer of a variety show with a lot of behind the scenes mayhem. Now he's the show producer on a late night show with a lot of behind the scenes mayhem. Seems like a decent update to the old formula.

• Locked thread