Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

It's not a thing. Liberalism is largely empathy, which is learned, and conservatism is just selfishness, which is natural. (So babies are all conservative, coincidentally.)

Liberal may as well be called political and conservative just not. Normal. Just not political.

No judgment on liberals or conservatives, by the way. But if you are conservative, go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
wow thats really loving thought provoking bideogame man

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
if_theres_no_conservative_how_can_i_a_canned_herring_remain_edible_for_so_long.jpg

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
wow never really thought about it like that before

gonna give this some serious thought tonight

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when im playing Victoria II the conservative rebels are always the biggest douchelords

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Most conservatives never develop post conventional morality.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
the more i overcome my own difficulties, the more conservative i become. my reasoning is that if I - goon beta - can do it, then other people have no excuse.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
conservatives just care about themselves their family and their immediate poo poo which is a fairly selfish attitude of course but they'll argue that it's just because that's how the world works.

ultimately they are retarded though because for the most part cooperation - especially on a large scale - is often the superior and more efficient way of doing things. they fail to see the long term and latent benefits of things like eliminating poverty and so on. They just think 'gently caress those people, they can help themselves!' not realizing that if that segment of the population was able to contribute to consumer spending in a meaningful way, then the economy would improve overall for everyone. This is just one example of many. Nationalized healthcare is another example of their mentality of only caring about their particular family unit and failing to recognize the benefits that they would get under a one payer system.

So yeah they're short sighted idiot babies for the most part.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

the more i overcome my own difficulties, the more conservative i become. my reasoning is that if I - goon beta - can do it, then other people have no excuse.

your reasoning is flawed because we live in a society structured like a pyramid. There's the people at the top; the rich, the leaders, etc. There's the people at the bottom; the minimum wage workers, kitchen people, etc. You can have the pyramid be super high and unfair, you can flatten it out a bit so it's a decent life where ever you end up, but you'll always have people at the bottom.

Not everyone can climb up in society because there aren't enough jobs/slots/positions for them to fill at those higher rungs of the pyramid. Not everyone can be a doctor/lawyer/astronaut. We need garbage men to make society function, too. So why make their lives miserable when they don't have to be?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 26, 2015

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Hydrocodone posted:

It's not a thing. Liberalism is largely empathy, which is learned, and conservatism is just selfishness, which is natural. (So babies are all conservative, coincidentally.)

Liberal may as well be called political and conservative just not. Normal. Just not political.

No judgment on liberals or conservatives, by the way. But if you are conservative, go gently caress yourself.

If selfishness is natural then maybe this world is actually an upper layer of Hell.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

what about people who can't read, or blind people, or crazy people? Being a goon is pretty low on the 'cant get my poo poo together' scale, at least some of the time

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaldabaoth posted:

If selfishness is natural then maybe this world is actually an upper layer of Hell.

Selfishness is natural but conservatives fail to grasp the benefits of a harmonious society.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

BeefThief posted:

what about people who can't read, or blind people, or crazy people? Being a goon is pretty low on the 'cant get my poo poo together' scale, at least some of the time

those people get a pass. but the main problem with the liberal view of public service is that they often conflate "helping" with "enabling."

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

your mom is very "liberal" with the blowjobs, op

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I was going to turn off the lights to save energy, but soon realized there was no way to reach the light switch since I don't exist.

KONUNDRUM KREW

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

those people get a pass. but the main problem with the liberal view of public service is that they often conflate "helping" with "enabling."

your undeserved sense of accomplishment is loving nauseating

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

You haven't overcome poo poo you self mandated sobriety loser. You just practice avoidance because you lack the faculties to handle yourself responsibly.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If liberals really believed that all people should.contribute to the common good then they'd be a lot more interested in getting people off welfare and actually contributing to the common good instead of living off of it.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
im a young (34) fresh liberal and sure i spend most of my time complaining about republikkkan$ but thats actually pretty healthy *relentlessly watches another 4 hours of john beohner crying* this is good to me

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

gently caress the ROW posted:

*relentlessly watches another 4 hours of john beohner crying*

I am relentless but I don't JUST watch.....................................

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
If I, a straight white male, can overcome the disadvantage of posting on a dying message board, what's stopping those nigs, disabled people, and other welfare leeches?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
there is only zuul >:D

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

There's the people at the top; the rich, the leaders, etc. There's the people at the bottom; the minimum wage workers, kitchen people, etc.

lol, just lol, if you think american minimum wage earners are the bottom of the pyramid

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I do keep coming back to the empathy being learned thing, though. Is it entirely learned or at least largely learned? Or is there enough natural empathy in some people to be born liberal? Who was the first liberal?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Actually op very small children will spontaneously share toys and affection with each other as part of the bonding process that makes each of us a human being

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A modern "conservative" is usually socially repressed and economically neoliberal, so the word really has devolved into an almost meaningless portmanteau.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Hydrocodone posted:

I do keep coming back to the empathy being learned thing, though. Is it entirely learned or at least largely learned? Or is there enough natural empathy in some people to be born liberal? Who was the first liberal?

jesus christ

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

was the first liberal, is what I mean

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

conservatives just care about themselves their family and their immediate poo poo which is a fairly selfish attitude of course but they'll argue that it's just because that's how the world works.

ultimately they are retarded though because for the most part cooperation - especially on a large scale - is often the superior and more efficient way of doing things. they fail to see the long term and latent benefits of things like eliminating poverty and so on. They just think 'gently caress those people, they can help themselves!' not realizing that if that segment of the population was able to contribute to consumer spending in a meaningful way, then the economy would improve overall for everyone. This is just one example of many. Nationalized healthcare is another example of their mentality of only caring about their particular family unit and failing to recognize the benefits that they would get under a one payer system.

The classical answer is always some non-falsifiable horseshit where if you nationalize healthcare you are simply preventing the most efficient healthcare providers from ever existing.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

If being liberal is superior then explain Hollywood celebrities.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

your reasoning is flawed because we live in a society structured like a pyramid. There's the people at the top; the rich, the leaders, etc. There's the people at the bottom; the minimum wage workers, kitchen people, etc. You can have the pyramid be super high and unfair, you can flatten it out a bit so it's a decent life where ever you end up, but you'll always have people at the bottom.

Not everyone can climb up in society because there aren't enough jobs/slots/positions for them to fill at those higher rungs of the pyramid. Not everyone can be a doctor/lawyer/astronaut. We need garbage men to make society function, too. So why make their lives miserable when they don't have to be?

This is a good post, thanks. I've never met a right leaning person that wasn't some measure of blindly self interested rear end in a top hat, they only differ in matters of degree

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Curious, I always associated liberalism with a sheepish like mental state caused by some form of retardation. Eh. They still bleed well. BAAAAAAHHHHHH! *salutes at a Ronald Reagan picture*

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Ekster posted:

As far as rich people go they definitely have the least blood on their hands.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Ekster posted:

I assume you mean that some of them seem insufferable?

Because superior doesn't necessarily mean likable. Responsibility's important but no fun.

Manifest Despair
Aug 20, 2008
Well, we have to end police brutality for one. And slow down the effects of climate change, stop terrorism and nationalize healthcare. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to sanity. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Conservativism is the improper mixing of Christianity and Economic Liberalism because of ideology.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Liberal and conservative are the exact same thing :ssh:

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
actually liberals are the babies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If there's gonna be winners in life, there's got to be losers too.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The law of conservative politics is that bullshit is neither created nor destroyed but simply changes form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
hey guys it's getting p LF in here imho lolololololol

• Locked thread