Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

As much as I give Doctor Who a lot of leeway, that just seemed to be a highly amusing sitcom. The scifi is just nonsensical trappings, a riff on old material. I'll watch it again for the Missy/Clara bits, but I think you can dispense with the rest.

Also Jerusalem, there is one highly phallic shot of the Doctor with his penis Dalek laser that is a must-gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Last week's episode was just on the verge of toppling over, but ultimately held together. This one fell apart, but there were SO MANY good elements to it. They don't fit together in the slightest, but already I'm liking this episode more because the great bits are all memorable and the clumsy structure is forgotten immediately.

Just the scene where Clara learns how Daleks talk is worth the episode. Between that and the "they're waiting for you to run" scene from last episode the Daleks are seriously becoming a frightening foe.

I also loved how Davros' confession to the Doctor that he's happy that he's saved the Time Lords is absolutely couched in racist ideology. "Every man should have a people." It may be a trick, but it's coming from a place of honesty, and it fits in perfectly with the very concepts of the Daleks.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
In other Who material, messing around with the theme is still fun.

https://soundcloud.com/ojseve/howellbass

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Okay, the second part was way better than the first part. I think the whole subplot of "the planes have stopped" with UNIT kind of dragged the first episode down a bit, seeing as how you could have eliminated it and the plot wouldn't have suffered. Just have Missy confront Clara in the school or something and the whole thing is unnecessary. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the UNIT and Kate Stewart stuff as much as I hate Vastra and company, but if you're going to have them in the story, don't make them completely ancillary to the plot.

Also, I'm pretty pumped for Tennant and Donna Big Finish audios.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

You will of course note that the video screen there has a subtle overlay of a regeneration effect over it, because we care about the details.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Although Davros's trap was obvious, I like to think that his discussion about having a place to belong after finding that Gallifrey survived was sincere. As he says, he's all about protecting your own, and even if the Doctor is his enemy, he respects what he did.

As an aside, I like when the Doctor and Missy are working together. Generally you've got the Doctor knowing everything and his companions kinda barely scraping by, having Missy there to giggle because she's someone actually on the same level as the Doctor is pretty cool.

edit: the best thing CGI has ever given humanity is being able to do Weird poo poo with the TARDIS that they could never do before. Have it wink in and out from Blue Box to Small Grey Cube from a while ago? Easy. TARDISmist forming into the Blue Box? Easy.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 27, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Although Davros's trap was obvious, I like to think that his discussion about having a place to belong after finding that Gallifrey survived was sincere. As he says, he's all about protecting your own, and even if the Doctor is his enemy, he respects what he did.

I think that's an interesting take on Davros. He doesn't HATE the Doctor, he just believes as he always did that the only true path to peace is for one race to reign supreme and wipe out all others, and he wants it to be his and almost wants to convince the Doctor that he should feel the same. He could understand that. It's the infinite compassion that he has difficulty with. It's an (almost) alien concept to him coming from an outsider.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

echoplex posted:

You will of course note that the video screen there has a subtle overlay of a regeneration effect over it, because we care about the details.

Forgive me if I missed any explanation you gave earlier, but how involved in the production were (are?) you? Just producing stuff (I assume props?) for particular episodes or working on the season as a whole? Exactly how much time and effort goes into things that might flash by on the screen in a single moment (or be cut entirely, as happened with your flags)? Were you operating under a single production crew or just shifting about here and there as individual episodes/filming blocks etc might have demanded?

Basically, I'd like to hear cool stories :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like how this ended up having kind of a traditional resolution- the Doctor outwits the Daleks, the city starts falling apart and everyone has to escape, the Master is apparently trapped but with a way to get out, etc. It all worked out to the kind of traditional runaround I was missing.

I do love that there is now a canon explanation to why the Daleks keep shouting EXTERMINATE! over and over and over instead of shooting people.

And there was some good character stuff with Davros, I like that even in his "nicer" moments he's all about "your race" and "do whatever it takes to protect your own".

So yeah, I think this was quite good. Great showcase for the actors as well. Missy 4ever please.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh Doctor, what a big laser you have...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No wonder he doesn't feel the need to wave that screwdriver around anymore.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I can't decide if the sonic sunglasses are ridiculously awesome or stupid as all hell.

To be honest, it's probably both.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ewe2 posted:

Brazzers made another video?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

Michelle Gomez continues to just completely loving own in every scene she's in.

Also Jenna Louise Coleman seems to play off well against just about everyone.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Guys, that was bad. Really, really bad. Once again, the only decent parts were 12 and Davros, but even then the same tired "enemy potentially has a change of heart only to be revealed as a clever ruse" poo poo is trotted out. If Davros had been sincere and actually, say, regretted creating the Daleks and helped the Doctor destroy or cripple them, it would have been a much more interesting story.

And loving sonic shades? Really? :rolleyes:

Yeah, this is exactly my sentiments, especially god drat sonic shades. I think my problem was assuming Dr Who was ever going to be anything more than a children's monster-of-the-week cheap cartoon.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 27, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think it might have been overlooked in the new episode fervor (at least, I didn't see anything about it in the thread) but apparently the third episode of Web of Fear was found, but it was stolen before it could be returned.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ewe2 posted:

walk into the club like "what up? I got a big Whisk"

Rochallor posted:

I think it might have been overlooked in the new episode fervor (at least, I didn't see anything about it in the thread) but apparently the third episode of Web of Fear was found, but it was stolen before it could be returned.

jesus

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
"Can I get a stick" - Clara says jovially to the person who murdered her boyfriend, among many other innocent people three episodes ago.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think Missy was driving the car that hit Danny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

EatinCake posted:

"Can I get a stick" - Clara says jovially to the person who murdered her boyfriend, among many other innocent people three episodes ago.

Levity in tense situations is not unheard of.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't think Missy was driving the car that hit Danny.
I'd completely forgotten he'd died that way initially. That said, Missy's still portrayed as a murdering psychopath, and it's still incredibly jarring to me that the hero I'm supposed to root for is so cozy with her. Levity, maybe. Camaraderie? Jarring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Who the gently caress is a Doctor Who fan AND a private collector? :stare:

Share that poo poo with the world, you Mugabe-wannabe monster :mad:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Davros, the genius, set a trap that completely and immediately foiled itself with no outside interference. He produced yet another race of hybrid Daleks and they all died eating their own poo poo. What the gently caress.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Insinuating that he went on the run from Gallifrey because of some Dalek Time Lord Hybrid prophesy is stupid, he didn't even recognize the drat things the first time he met them. The Daleks even successfully laid on enough charm to trick the Tardis crew for a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tempo 119 posted:

Davros, the genius, set a trap that completely and immediately foiled itself with no outside interference. He produced yet another race of hybrid Daleks and they all died eating their own poo poo. What the gently caress.

Davros has a long history of not taking into account these kind of factors - when he initially created the Daleks to hate everything that wasn't explicitly themselves he never even considered that they would consider HIM not the same level of racial purity. Similarly, he never considered that the detritus that inevitably resulted from his genetically "immortal" creations might gain the same benefits as the rest of the Daleks when he tried to lend them the same ability to regenerate as the Doctor (ironically, probably with the ultimate mindset of preventing them from deteriorating into that same detritus in the first place - immortal Daleks that just reset their genetics whenever they get too old/rundown are a pretty terrifying concept).

It's in keeping with his character, and one of the ways he bears similarities to the Master - he discounts/disregards or callously dismisses the little things as unimportant, and they usually end up coming back to bite him on the rear end.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rochallor posted:

Phillip "Not The Cigarette Company" Morris is not a terribly reliable source for factual information on this topic, despite being integral to whatever happened. He seems to have some kind of self-aggrandizing need to be the Most Important Who Fan and a bizarrely bi-polar relation to leaking rumors. In a few months he will be on the verge of having several more lost episodes that we will beg him for right before they vanish completely due to somebody inadvertently tweeting their interest.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
These are the first Peter Capaldi episodes I've really liked but those sunglasses are dumb. Please lose them by the next episode.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I liked this episode. Got a bit of a classic era vibe off of it with a lot of long scenes and small monologues.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
That Davros/Doctor crap was dreadfully tedious and dull. I just didn't care at all for that tripe.

Meanwhile the Missy/Clara stuff was worth watching, even though Clara was a complete idiot for repeatedly trusting the Master.

Oh and Sonic Sunglasses? They can gently caress right off.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

cargohills posted:

Being in that chair looked like the most fun Peter Capaldi has ever had and I was pretty jealous of him.

I donno, I think Peter liked rocking away on top of a tank, too.

Also, chairs aren't always his thing. Last time he was in one he didn't like, he remarked "Worst. Rescue. Ever!"

(Totally unrelated whimsy: Just realized we have 2 Doctors named "Peter" and two named "Baker". What is the meaning of this?)

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 27, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I could honestly watch a full season of Missy having adventures while her companion Clara tries desperately to dodge increasingly convoluted schemes to murder her

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

That Davros/Doctor crap was dreadfully tedious and dull. I just didn't care at all for that tripe.

I was a bit rolling my eyes off this. Davros changing at the end, totally? Ugh. Was not liking this at all. Was so glad it was all an act. Yeah, it makes him a bit 1 dimensional (presuming it was all 100% an act), but I've "known" Davros since what, the late 70's? Nah, wasn't digging new Davros at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A spin-off series with Missy would be not at all unwarranted. It couldn't be any worse than the other spin-offs

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They could call it Whose Master.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

RunAndGun posted:

I donno, I think Peter liked rocking away on top of a tank, too.

Also, chairs aren't always his thing. Last time he was in one he didn't like, he remarked "Worst. Rescue. Ever!"

(Totally unrelated whimsy: Just realized we have 2 Doctors named "Peter" and two named "Baker". What is the meaning of this?)

If I was a writer, I'd have a character named Dr. Peter Baker.

The Witch's Familiar isn't up to the standards of today's Who, but it was good for what it was.

EDIT: also, was this the first time the word 'bitch' was said on Doctor Who? I remember in 2005 when the Doctor said 'hell' and was taken a bit aback.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Who the gently caress is a Doctor Who fan AND a private collector? :stare:

Share that poo poo with the world, you Mugabe-wannabe monster :mad:

It might have BEEN Mugabe.

"Finally, the ONLY EPISODE OF DOCTOR WHO I DO NOT PERSONALLY OWN!"

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011
I wonder if Moffat made a mistake and he meant to have Missy say "Dwarf Star Alloy" instead of the stated "Dark Star Alloy".

Because as soon as she said it, I instantly thought of Warriors Gate (though not by title).

But when I looked it up to verify it, they were using Dwarf, while Missy was using Dark.

(Speaking of production mistakes, I thought last week's had one: when Our Heroes were on the "Space Station", waiting for Snake Guy to open the door: when the door opened, Missy stood up. It was obvious her hands were no longer bound, but she then quickly put them behind herself again. I did an eye roll, but then a few seconds later she threw the snake away - so she was free for... how long?)

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Soothing Vapors posted:

I could honestly watch a full season of Missy having adventures while her companion Clara tries desperately to dodge increasingly convoluted schemes to murder her

Or a full season with Missy as a companion who is constantly getting in the Doctor's way.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This episode was fantastic and my only regret is that it looks like the Master won't be in next week's. Seriously, Clara and her together was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Megaspel posted:

Everything after the double-cross was terrible imo. It just turned from a unique story where the big bad isn't 100% evil, and actually humanized and made interesting, casting doubts on whether the Doctor is justified in vilifying and "other"ing an entire race because their goals conflict with his. Then they have to go and ruin it all with a gotcha and return to the status quo, even the tiniest glimmer of mercy was a gift from jesus the doctor, the perfect being who is always morally right and will always fight the same bad guys forever.

So you just finished The Harvest, but what did you think of this week's?

• Locked thread