Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

I think Senna is a lot of the issue. With his famous doctrine of "I'll pull into their line and if they are still there we crash"
Which isnt racing its just psychotic betting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

willcrouch posted:

I think Senna is a lot of the issue. With his famous doctrine of "I'll pull into their line and if they are still there we crash"
Which isnt racing its just psychotic betting.

Mark Webber and Montoya were probably the best modern examples of that...and usually got away with it.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Reminder that Rosberg was semi regularly beating Schumi and is now garbage against Hamilton.

it's not impressive to beat a 200 year old schumacher who had been retired for years

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Alain Post posted:

These moves are so lovely. I remember Verstappen did one on Sainz, I think, where he was totally out of control with his tires locked sliding into the corner and Sainz had to move out of the way. Commentators praised it, of course. Stupid rear end driving.

I think you're mistaking "lovely" for "An awesome sport people want to watch". You know why WRC cant keep a TV contract? Becuase its boring as hell to watch people try to execute driving lines safely and with skill.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Alain Post posted:

Get depressed by rewatching that Arnoux/Villeneuve battle and realising that it only lasts so long because neither driver blocks or runs the other guy wide

The reason they kept it so clean was because they drove in an era where there was a real chance of them killing each other if they tried any dirty tricks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

These moves are so lovely. I remember Verstappen did one on Sainz, I think, where he was totally out of control with his tires locked sliding into the corner and Sainz had to move out of the way. Commentators praised it, of course. Stupid rear end driving.

It speaks volumes about the quality of F1 drivers that after 7 months of karting this is literally my go to method for overtaking when I need to, and I'm a man who's driving style has been described as "greasy" by 1986 Osella driver Allen Berg.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite moment of the last 5 years of F1 was when Big Pastor Maldonado actually stood up to Hamilton pushing him off the track at Valencia 2012. Everyone blamed Pastor, because of racism, obviously.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

gret posted:

Schumacher did that poo poo all the time.

Schumacher would do that poo poo on a straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2YmTUEIens

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So I watched the race and thought the Mercedes blackout was actually a great idea. Some really good fights in the midfield.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Is it really that new? It seems like at least sky had been focusing on the actual racing since last season. No broadcaster should ever focus on a +20 second lead when 12th-13th are nose to nose through fast corners.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah it's been like this cause people accused Red Bull of making up drama on the radio to get Vettel airtime. Best the lead car gets in a race like that is a full lap onboard when there's a lull in the rest of the pack.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

meat CRime posted:

Is it really that new? It seems like at least sky had been focusing on the actual racing since last season. No broadcaster should ever focus on a +20 second lead when 12th-13th are nose to nose through fast corners.

It's not Sky's or anybody else's choice, the TV coverage is on a world feed so every broadcaster is getting the same video. It's why they have to work around broadcasts of the team audio as well.

Used to be that Monaco and Japan would produce race coverages themselves for the rounds they hosted, but I think it's all done in house now.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Nice, thanks for the explanation yall

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
f1 is poo poo and red bull is poo poo

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I dunno, this is pretty cool

http://gfycat.com/CluelessClearHarrierhawk

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

harperdc posted:

Used to be that Monaco and Japan would produce race coverages themselves for the rounds they hosted, but I think it's all done in house now.
Monaco still does their own.

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bring back thermal cam ffs

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Sure I saw thermal on one of the cars lining up for the grid? Rare though.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 29, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They had a few thermal shots last race but they weren't very good.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jesus H Christ. Sauber and Force India have properly thrown their toys out of the pram and have reported f1 to the EU for being anti-competition http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-facing-eu-investigation-after-sauber-force-india-complaint/?v=2&s=1

I look forward to customer cars in 2017.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

CratSock posted:

Hamilton knows he can do it to almost anyone on the track, and it's almost as bad as the dive bomb corner attempts made by some of the young guys that depend on the victims not wanting to be crashed so they allow the move.

AKA the Senna move, AKA the move done by Hammy's hero

I do agree that Nico just isn't as forceful as Lewis on the track...or anywhere, really, and Lewis knows it and totally uses it to his advantage. If the one other guy on the grid that has a car as good and fast as yours is doesn't have the cajones to stick a move, you know that you can just do what you like on the track. That's Lewis' advantage right now. It is a shame that Alonso isn't in the Ferrari right now, I'm sure he'd be able to give it to Lewis (on the track, not in a glory hole palace or whatever gay thing you lads are thinking right now).

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I've said it many times - the biggest way to help passing in F1 isnt DRS, tyres or KERS systems. It's to stop allowing drivers to run each other right off the track without consequence.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This is why we need Pastor being lapped, so he can wreck Lewis under blue flags.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So not giving people space to overtake is bad, but people taking advantage of being given space is bad.

Goons.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
thermal cam is poo poo

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So um, what do you guys like about F1? (srs)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Halo14 posted:

the drama between races

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

krushgroove posted:

It is a shame that Alonso isn't in the Ferrari right now, I'm sure he'd be able to give it to Lewis (on the track, not in a glory hole palace or whatever gay thing you lads are thinking right now).

Exactly. The main reason why this year is poo poo is that its the same as a lot of the Schumacher years, in that the best driver is in the best car, but unlike for a lot of the Schumacher years we do have 2 other good drivers but both of them are stuck driving the shitest new car on track and loosing the will to live.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Halo14 posted:

• Scuderia Ferrari
  • Sebastian Vettel
  • Pastor Maldonado
  • Adolf Hitler

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Halo14 posted:

flavio dick dot jpg

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Halo14 posted:

old dangerous tracks and ground effects

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Halo14 posted:

At this point, the handbags at dawn style drama, joking about the politics and sometimes during a race you'll get a single nice racing move that has bigger implications to the wider picture (like Lewis' pass into turn 1/2). For on-track action I prefer watching Moto3 motorcycle races. MotoGP has a bit more on-track action than F1 right now but there's actually a battle for the championship this year, which makes it more interesting to watch.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

krushgroove posted:

At this point, the handbags at dawn style drama

I like your version better.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

krushgroove posted:

At this point, the handbags at dawn style drama, joking about the politics and sometimes during a race you'll get a single nice racing move that has bigger implications to the wider picture (like Lewis' pass into turn 1/2). For on-track action I prefer watching Moto3 motorcycle races. MotoGP has a bit more on-track action than F1 right now but there's actually a battle for the championship this year, which makes it more interesting to watch.

GP2 is a completely watchable series even if Van Door is running away with the championship.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Cool, thanks guys.

For me so far it's the technology, blows my mind the ridiculous amount of money spent on keeping these things in working order just for a race. I can understand the drama that has to go along with such high stakes. I also spend time watching practice so I can see what gadgets they use in testing & improvement -fascinating stuff.

I definitely look forward to and enjoy watching MotoGP/2/3 more. They seem a lot less precious, breaking bones and getting back on the bikes like maniacs the next week blows my mind. I actually look forward to the interviews as well. The grid girls are beyond compare too...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fast cars go vroom.

Seriously, don't overanalyse it.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

Fast cars go vroom.

Seriously, don't overanalyse it.

Adults throwing tantrums, billion dollar businesses sucking and quitting. Watches painted on gloves, exotic third world locations.

My F1.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I've literally never watched F1 before this season and the races are kinda boring but I enjoy fast cars go vroom.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Halo14 posted:

Cool, thanks guys.

For me so far it's the technology, blows my mind the ridiculous amount of money spent on keeping these things in working order just for a race. I can understand the drama that has to go along with such high stakes. I also spend time watching practice so I can see what gadgets they use in testing & improvement -fascinating stuff.

I definitely look forward to and enjoy watching MotoGP/2/3 more. They seem a lot less precious, breaking bones and getting back on the bikes like maniacs the next week blows my mind. I actually look forward to the interviews as well. The grid girls are beyond compare too...

Definitely the tech is amazing, but some of the really interesting stuff has been outlawed pretty quickly (fan cars, mass dampers, coanda exhausts, exhaust-diffuser stuff) but it's worth keeping up with things just to appreciate the next technical advance. Keeping the tech relevant for the general public vs providing ways for engineers to really advance auto tech is a tough line to walk for the FIA, but to me getting close to an F1, LMP or other really high-end racing car is super super interesting, just trying to absorb all the tiny aero vanes and scoops and slots and things.

And yeah in general motorcycle racers in all classes are the hardest fuckers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

krushgroove posted:

Definitely the tech is amazing, but some of the really interesting stuff has been outlawed pretty quickly (fan cars, mass dampers, coanda exhausts, exhaust-diffuser stuff) but it's worth keeping up with things just to appreciate the next technical advance. Keeping the tech relevant for the general public vs providing ways for engineers to really advance auto tech is a tough line to walk for the FIA, but to me getting close to an F1, LMP or other really high-end racing car is super super interesting, just trying to absorb all the tiny aero vanes and scoops and slots and things.

And yeah in general motorcycle racers in all classes are the hardest fuckers out there.

This. It's absolutely fascinating what people try to do to break the mold (as you note the fan-car, ground effects, etc). Seeing whatever one team does to gain a competitive advantage is great. I think my favorite was when Murray made that tiny bleed valve in the suspension system, and made a fake box on the car to gently caress with other teams to prevent them from figuring out how the car was lower on the track but the legal ride height when it was stationary. :allears:

And The Worst Thread are what I like about F1.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread