Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Is there a way to get BB2 to stop melting my laptop? It seems to be ridiculously intensive even on very low settings.

Barring getting a better laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Evernoob posted:

And we can both go home happy!
It's like that other epic boardgame where one player can completely dominate the galaxy, but another player who is on the verge of extinction manages to score that very last Victory Point so he wins in the end.

I try winning though. My W/L ratio is about even. The problem is there are a whole lotta draws inbetween.

Is there a trick to dealing with Skinks besides pummeling them into the ground? Is Tackle working against it or are tentacles a better option. That stunty mechanic really drives me nuts.

Against Lizardmen you want to have a dedicated skink killer, pretty much everyone can develop a guy with mv6 or better with block/frenzy/tackle/mighty blow (usually in that order). Then you use him to blitz a skink every turn to get a man advantage. Stunties roll +1 on the injury table so when you hit them you have a better than 50% chance that they get injured or KOed.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
double p[ost

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Going to debut today boys hopefully I get an educational opponent

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

TheMcD posted:

The AI doesn't cheat, but it goes full balls to the wall, so the player thinks it's cheating when the bullshit play that no reasonable player would ever go for bar an absolute desperation scenario actually succeeds. There's been plenty of discussion about that on the Chaos Edition Steam forums, even after it had been conclusively proven that the rolls are not rigged.

I'm not doubting you as I sort of remember it being proven, but do you have a link? The discussion must be fascinating. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone who got the game outside of Steam post-preorder gotten their Lizards code yet? The form said they'd go out on the 29th.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Washout posted:

Against Lizardmen you want to have a dedicated skink killer, pretty much everyone can develop a guy with mv6 or better with block/frenzy/tackle/mighty blow (usually in that order). Then you use him to blitz a skink every turn to get a man advantage. Stunties roll +1 on the injury table so when you hit them you have a better than 50% chance that they get injured or KOed.

Stunties are only more likely to get badly hurt than other players.

It doesn't actually add 1 to the injury roll.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 29, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not doubting you as I sort of remember it being proven, but do you have a link? The discussion must be fascinating. :allears:

I feel like I can't find the one I was looking for in particular, but here's some fun complaining with a lot of statistics discussing thrown in:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2663881
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2412061
https://steamcommunity.com/app/216890/discussions/0/611698195147743698/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/216890/discussions/0/846945579765824646/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/216890/discussions/0/594820656468453595/

A lot of people can't accept that yes, you dub skull, you quad skull, and sometimes, you loving sext skull.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bruceski posted:

Anyone who got the game outside of Steam post-preorder gotten their Lizards code yet? The form said they'd go out on the 29th.

Yes, Lizard code came in ~2 hours ago and I bought the game from GMG.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Randler posted:

Yes, Lizard code came in ~2 hours ago and I bought the game from GMG.

Found it, Gmail sorted it into the Promotions tab. Thanks for confirming, I wouldn't have double-checked otherwise.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Fellblade posted:

I have it but I'm already eyeing up the PC version even though I only just meet min specs. Not seen any other goons posting about any console versions.

And your PSN name would beeeeee...?

I just wanted to play a fictional fantasy type sport. Now that I've learned about leveling up and new skills and crazy strats and teams my brains are melting out my tear ducts.

I just wanted to play a modern Mutant League Football.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Arx Monolith posted:

And your PSN name would beeeeee...?

I just wanted to play a fictional fantasy type sport. Now that I've learned about leveling up and new skills and crazy strats and teams my brains are melting out my tear ducts.

I just wanted to play a modern Mutant League Football.

Is that a sly reference to the new one they're making or do you actually not know about it? Either way it looks kinda butts but it's also pre-alpha so maybe that's why.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
So I was playing a game with my recently banged up newbie chaos team(had 2 beastmen die on a game against orcs before i had money for apo and one out of the next game)

Rolling up next game, my 980 tv chaos goes against 2200 tv dwarves. I looked at the concede button and said gently caress it lets play this.

I actually managed to draw 1-1. I still dont believe that happened.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is that a sly reference to the new one they're making or do you actually not know about it? Either way it looks kinda butts but it's also pre-alpha so maybe that's why.

Do whaaaaaa?
No. I just always thought Blood Bowl was the table top version of football with attitude plus a shitload of lore I don't care about.
I am now learning it is just as Fantasy-Math-By-Hand as Warhammer or DnD. :(

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

ProZocK posted:

So I was playing a game with my recently banged up newbie chaos team(had 2 beastmen die on a game against orcs before i had money for apo and one out of the next game)

Rolling up next game, my 980 tv chaos goes against 2200 tv dwarves. I looked at the concede button and said gently caress it lets play this.

Dwarves.txt

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

TheMcD posted:

The AI doesn't cheat, but it goes full balls to the wall, so the player thinks it's cheating when the bullshit play that no reasonable player would ever go for bar an absolute desperation scenario actually succeeds. There's been plenty of discussion about that on the Chaos Edition Steam forums, even after it had been conclusively proven that the rolls are not rigged.

This blows my mind because in playing 3 standard Round Robin tourneys against AI, they never risk anything. It's all super defensive boring play that is unfun. It's like playing against dwarfs even if they're elves. And in addition to all those matches, i played the entire campaign and AI has rolled Double Skulls only once in all those games.

Like, I believe it's probably just luck, but I seriously don't believe these crazy plays because the AI will constantly use blitz to block a dude already in his block zone, then not move at all in my experience.

ProZocK posted:

There's your key to victory, i'm honestly surprised you didn't win anyway. Every dwarf player i've met is awful at placement and strategy, and Dwarves are a terribly immobile class already, so the problems compound on eachother.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Nasgate posted:

This blows my mind because in playing 3 standard Round Robin tourneys against AI, they never risk anything. It's all super defensive boring play that is unfun. It's like playing against dwarfs even if they're elves. And in addition to all those matches, i played the entire campaign and AI has rolled Double Skulls only once in all those games.

Like, I believe it's probably just luck, but I seriously don't believe these crazy plays because the AI will constantly use blitz to block a dude already in his block zone, then not move at all in my experience.

I only know of the way it was in Chaos Edition, so if you're playing BB2, your mileage may vary. In CE, the way it worked was that the higher the difficulty is, the "smarter" the AI would play, i.E. it would take less stupid risks. This lead to the conundrum where some newbies would get loving stomped because the AI on easy went balls-out and actually succeeded.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The AI is dumb in this game. Every team, bashy or stunty, tries to box and run the ball in. And it never works, because the AI is dumb.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I honestly can't believe people play against the AI in this game. Like last thread we had at least a few people who had never played a single multiplayer game but could beat the AI all the time!

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My TV1400~ chaos team got matched against a TV2400~ chaos team last night in the stripdor league thing. Conceded before the game started because I didn't want all my guys to die. Queued again and got matched against the same guy. I had about 1 million gold to spend on poo poo so I bought a wizard, some other junk and 2 star players that I lined up on the LOS with a crappy goat and just put all my normal players waaaay back in the end zone. Dude injured 1 of star players and my goat and KO'd the other star player on the first turn. I conceded after that and made new team in a different league and had a fun game against some lizards.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
These matchmaking TV differentials are insane. I think BB:CE expanded how far up/down you could match depending on how long you sat and watched the coin spin.

Does it still work that way or are you guys getting these lopsided matches right off?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Looking for someone to hand me my first beating on the LoserLadder.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I honestly can't believe people play against the AI in this game. Like last thread we had at least a few people who had never played a single multiplayer game but could beat the AI all the time!

I remember a friend getting in on the beta for the original Cyanide. We played this against the AI a few times before we actually understood the rules. I explicitly remember hoping that the computer would run the ball towards the wrong endzone to cause me to not lose because it happened enough times to become expected. I don't know how AI is actually programmed, and I bet it's hard, but something tells me you can go: if (unit.MA > distanceToGoal && !unit.inTackleZone) then fuckingScore();

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

comatose posted:

My TV1400~ chaos team got matched against a TV2400~ chaos team last night in the stripdor league thing. Conceded before the game started because I didn't want all my guys to die. Queued again and got matched against the same guy. I had about 1 million gold to spend on poo poo so I bought a wizard, some other junk and 2 star players that I lined up on the LOS with a crappy goat and just put all my normal players waaaay back in the end zone. Dude injured 1 of star players and my goat and KO'd the other star player on the first turn. I conceded after that and made new team in a different league and had a fun game against some lizards.

The people near the top of the leaderboard in that league are just silly. A lot of Chaos teams get rocketed to the top because of people conceding. One of the teams has like 70+ games played, I assume because everybody just concedes rather than having a zero fun claw+POMB bullshit fest. I'm kinda over the public league crap at this point. I had one game where a guy saw I was playing wood elves and literally did nothing but knockdown and gangbang foul for 16 turns, then get salty when I spread my guys out and started fouling with my expensive pieces to get them thrown off. Public leagues are just garbage because people are playing two different games.

One group is playing the game to win. They're using a combination of their team's strengths and abilities to actually score points. They see bashing as a means to an end. I'd say this constitutes about 5% of players in public leagues.

Then you have the other idiots. They don't try to win, they just try to cause as many injuries as possible...and they're loving terrible at it. They never handle the ball, throw pointless blocks, and foul on turn 16. They take Mighty Blow as a first skill. They don't understand positioning, and if you play keep away from them they just start foul stomping everything. I'm on an 11 game win streak with my Wood Elf team and things are just becoming less fun as time goes on and I get more SPP on my guys. I'm by no means great at this game, but I understand the basics and I'm pub stomping. I'm also getting at least one casualty a game (usually whatever poor Journeyman put on the bloody jersey of the last one).

Basically it's an issue in the design of the game in a public league situation. There's no advantage to winning big or disadvantage to losing big, so if a person thinks they can't win they'll just completely stop trying and start griefing while going :v: "IDS BLUDBOWL" . Meanwhile if you're a bashy team people will mash the concede button so fast rather than lose a few of their precious players.

Basically there's no fear to playing a finesse team, and getting a good game in a public league is a rarity. It's getting boring, especially with the limited team selections.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 30, 2015

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I played a game against a DE team earlier that used all loners for their linemen, with lvl 5+ blitzers and WE's at about 1450 TV. with my Chaos. His WE's both were Blodging/POMB murder machines so I decided to foul anything that hit the pitch and was more valuable then a beastman. Ended up putting two -AV's on blitzers, straight up killed another, and MNG'd one of the WE's. I lost 1-2, but gently caress that guy for tryharding his team in the NAF league.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Just had a game against Dallon's DE. Another perfect example of orcball. Get the ball, run at the other team, smash faces. Orc blitzers with guard are the poo poo.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Well that was fun, thanks to whoever that was I learned some valuable lessons. Also need to learn how to set up a touchdown.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Haroshia posted:

The people near the top of the leaderboard in that league are just silly. A lot of Chaos teams get rocketed to the top because of people conceding. One of the teams has like 70+ games played, I assume because everybody just concedes rather than having a zero fun claw+POMB bullshit fest. I'm kinda over the public league crap at this point. I had one game where a guy saw I was playing wood elves and literally did nothing but knockdown and gangbang foul for 16 turns, then get salty when I spread my guys out and started fouling with my expensive pieces to get them thrown off. Public leagues are just garbage because people are playing two different games.

One group is playing the game to win. They're using a combination of their team's strengths and abilities to actually score points. They see bashing as a means to an end. I'd say this constitutes about 5% of players in public leagues.

Then you have the other idiots. They don't try to win, they just try to cause as many injuries as possible...and they're loving terrible at it. They never handle the ball, throw pointless blocks, and foul on turn 16. They take Mighty Blow as a first skill. They don't understand positioning, and if you play keep away from them they just start foul stomping everything. I'm on an 11 game win streak with my Wood Elf team and things are just becoming less fun as time goes on and I get more SPP on my guys. I'm by no means great at this game, but I understand the basics and I'm pub stomping. I'm also getting at least one casualty a game (usually whatever poor Journeyman put on the bloody jersey of the last one).

Basically it's an issue in the design of the game in a public league situation. There's no advantage to winning big or disadvantage to losing big, so if a person thinks they can't win they'll just completely stop trying and start griefing while going :v: "IDS BLUDBOWL" . Meanwhile if you're a bashy team people will mash the concede button so fast rather than lose a few of their precious players.

Basically there's no fear to playing a finesse team, and getting a good game in a public league is a rarity. It's getting boring, especially with the limited team selections.

I'm playing with my human team in the NAF league. I'm on a 4-game win-streak because pubbies start the match, watch me wreck their line or get 4-5 dudes into their backfield and then they immediately concede. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. On the other hand, I'm having a ton of fun playing goons in the goon league. I've had a quite a few competitive games.

Moral of the story: don't play pubbies, play goons.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Anyone in matchmaking?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm playing with my human team in the NAF league. I'm on a 4-game win-streak because pubbies start the match, watch me wreck their line or get 4-5 dudes into their backfield and then they immediately concede. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. On the other hand, I'm having a ton of fun playing goons in the goon league. I've had a quite a few competitive games.

Moral of the story: don't play pubbies, play goons.

I'm playing in the Skittles league. I stopped playing in the NAF league for the reasons you mentioned.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I play against the AI sometimes because I have a kid who needs poo poo and I don't want to have to quit on a match. Not always, but sometimes.

Multiplayer is infinitely preferable, for sure

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So what league is the goon league? I'm going to be that hitler and make a dwarf team in it, and am a good dwarf coach.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Jade Star posted:

So what league is the goon league? I'm going to be that hitler and make a dwarf team in it, and am a good dwarf coach.

NAF Open

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I normally play for the win. However if someone starts cussing me out the first time I block and injure a guy then I will try my best to kill every player they have. Last game I played against Skaven and this guy would just not stop bitching about how lizards are unfair and noob this noob that. I killed 2 gutter runners caused multiple injuries. Last turn we were tied and I could attempt to pick up the ball and win or foul his level 3 Rat Orge.

I really hope he enjoys his 4 Str Rat Orge.

That being said I have played and chatted with some really fun and cool people in public league. Both winners and losers.

I just had a Skink level up for the first time and got 12. Should I take Block, Sure hands or +Str

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the public league, I got paired against an orc team about 400 tv greater than I (i think, no easy way to tell)

I start looking at his players, all black orcs had block. all blitzers had guard and tackle. No clue how he pulled it off, he played like garbage, and I was able to run two blitzers into his backfield and laid out the ball carrier while he tried to bash my team.

a big scrum for the ball developed in his backfield. on a fresh turn he went to block my guy off the ball and rolled dubskulls, then rerolled the same dubskulls and quit like a bitch

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
First multiplayer game. 220,000 petty cash. Okay. Magic is cool. Wonder what it does. Oh. It ends my turn. Cool.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Shoutout to the Goon Human Coach I played against as chaos. Two deaths due to single skull dice. A bloody, bloody good game.

Played a pub match after for s/g
How does HE: 11 linemen, Apoc, 4Re-rolls = WE: 2WD, Tree, 9 linemen, Apoc, 2 Re-rolls? We were only 60 tv apart.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

JackDarko posted:

Well that was fun, thanks to whoever that was I learned some valuable lessons. Also need to learn how to set up a touchdown.

We're you the Chaos team, or the Lizard team?

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
I`m getty pissed off about mu Woodelf lineman. 2 rolled doubles and got guard (one died) another one rolled +agi and the other one rolled+str.

I JUST WANT A KICK LINEMAN COMMON!!!!!

Oh, and one wardancer has +agi and I just rolled doubles on the second one that already has strip ball. What should I pick on the last one?

ProZocK fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Some brutal and supremely fun matches tonight. My strength 4 Blitzer now has a twin brother. Not looking forward to nuffle setting things right with their inevitable demise, but until then? Go go human missiles.

• Locked thread