Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

It's worth pointing out, strongly suspected townie Kumba notably appears to think Biaga is town as well.

I initially suspected Biaga but his responses seemed townier than not, this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

I think the biggest issues facing you are these:

1. Do you think Biaga is being an awkward newbie or an awkward scum? Lots of people think scum, a couple people (including me) just see new guy.

2. What do you think about Hermetic? I believe he is another new guy and the same questions apply to him. I am pretty neutral on him right now

3. Gabriel Pope is also getting looked at a bit now because he is hedging a bit.

About the only solid town read I've got is Kumba because he is posting a lot and it's pretty sincere.

There is something about this post that is rubbing me the wrong way but I am having a difficult time articulating it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, as always I think Kash is scum. This game it's because he was opportunistic on the Biaga vote and continued to push what I believe is a bad case.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

There is something about this post that is rubbing me the wrong way but I am having a difficult time articulating it.

I think it's a pretty fair accounting of the thread so far and points out the main suspects, aside from Kash. If it's just because it's a sum up type response, well I almost always get dinged for those whenever someone replaces.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This is a little stupid but the thing that's pinging me the most is your "solid" town read on me. You seem too sure of my alignment given what has transpired thus far, though to be fair I don't know you well enough to know if you tend to make hard calls early

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Especially given you had literally JUST given a town read on me 2 posts prior. Smells like scum buddying.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kumbamontu posted:

The only thing I can see that could make one's spider sense tingle is that the summary is explicitly just TMM's views, and could be used as a way to nudge any newly entering player's thoughts by getting the first word in. Setting the stage, so to speak.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

The only thing I can see that could make one's spider sense tingle is that the summary is explicitly just TMM's views, and could be used as a way to nudge any newly entering player's thoughts by getting the first word in. Setting the stage, so to speak.

Eh, not quite what I was feeling but I could see that. Are you just trying to see if you could paint that post in a scummy context as an academic exercise or do you think the above is a real possibility?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

This is a little stupid but the thing that's pinging me the most is your "solid" town read on me. You seem too sure of my alignment given what has transpired thus far, though to be fair I don't know you well enough to know if you tend to make hard calls early

Well, I admit that a lot of my town read is because you are posting quite a lot and I usually take that as a town sign. Plus, I've liked your content and it has all seemed sincere, so I'm pretty comfortable thinking you're town right now. I think you were wrong about Biaga, but you've explained your thoughts and reasons well.

Of course, you could be scum just posting a lot as cover and as I said, if that's the case I'll hate you forever. :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
TMM seems town right now. He does this every game, and in fact the only time he doesn't make a d1 scum read on me is when he's scum.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nth Doctor posted:

If someone asks for a sum up of the thread, it's always going to be from my point of view although I try to keep it pretty neutral.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Kumbamontu posted:

Eh, not quite what I was feeling but I could see that. Are you just trying to see if you could paint that post in a scummy context as an academic exercise or do you think the above is a real possibility?

Nah, I was more hoping to help you put words to your feeling :shobon:
Mostly the natural urge to read someone else's explanation of a situation and think "hey that's weird that it doesn't line up so nicely with my view" where both you and I have that context but DBD entering the game wouldn't and could get the well poisoned by a slightly biased summary.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

TMMadman posted:

If someone asks for a sum up of the thread, it's always going to be from my point of view although I try to keep it pretty neutral.

Right. I realize that, and I wasn't trying to say you were being intentional about bias.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nth Doctor posted:

Nah, I was more hoping to help you put words to your feeling :shobon:
Mostly the natural urge to read someone else's explanation of a situation and think "hey that's weird that it doesn't line up so nicely with my view" where both you and I have that context but DBD entering the game wouldn't and could get the well poisoned by a slightly biased summary.

I had assumed as much I just wanted to be sure

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Kumbamontu posted:

Did you ignore the second paragraph and focus only on the first? I'm sincerely stumped as to how you are reaching this conclusion because the words are right there.

As for having "all the read you need", I pose a question to you: let's assume for a moment you are in fact town and I am wrong. Why does me being wrong about your alignment mean I'm scum? Gabriel Pope is voting for you - is he scum too?

Wow, you jumped to some serious conclusions, given that I never said I thought you were scum, changed my vote, made an accusation, etc.

You're kinda defensive, mate...

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps instead of waxing poetic about how I misinterpreted you you should clarify what you meant then because I apparently don't know what that phrase means? Or were you somehow talking about someone else?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Also you said that jumping on you was "concretely scummy" so if that isn't you calling me scum then what is?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Kumbamontu posted:

Also you said that jumping on you was "concretely scummy" so if that isn't you calling me scum then what is?

I meant I never said what conclusions I'd drawn from reading you. You'll notice I haven't voted you, yet, or made any accusations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hermetic posted:

I meant I never said what conclusions I'd drawn from reading you. You'll notice I haven't voted you, yet, or made any accusations.

Yes. Yes, yes I have. Maybe... you should start???????

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yes. Yes, yes I have. Maybe... you should start???????

Very clever, but I meant based on the read. As a matter of fact, if memory serves, you voted me for one of my accusations.

You should probably keep your reason for your vote kinda close to mind.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Kumbamontu posted:

Perhaps instead of waxing poetic about how I misinterpreted you you should clarify what you meant then because I apparently don't know what that phrase means? Or were you somehow talking about someone else?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

TMMadman posted:

I think the biggest issues facing you are these:

1. Do you think Biaga is being an awkward newbie or an awkward scum? Lots of people think scum, a couple people (including me) just see new guy.

2. What do you think about Hermetic? I believe he is another new guy and the same questions apply to him. I am pretty neutral on him right now

3. Gabriel Pope is also getting looked at a bit now because he is hedging a bit.

About the only solid town read I've got is Kumba because he is posting a lot and it's pretty sincere.

Awkward newbie read for me, but I don't like your vote on Kash at all, don't think his reaction was really out of the ordinary.

I don't like my gut on Hermetic, mostly because he reads like me when I post as scum. High praise, I know.

I hedge a bit sometimes because I don't like to hard commit myself to anybody unless I for sure have information or a drat good gut read, so playing cautious isn't bad.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

I have had a fun time re-reading the thread and boy oh boy do I have observations:

Probably Town: Green Intern, Nth Doctor
Neutral: Kumbamontu, Podima :argh: , SirSamVimes, Someone Awful, TMMadman, Deadbeat Dad
Probably Scum: Gabriel Pope, Hermetic, biaga
Scum: Kashuno

Green and Nth are making good contributions and asking good questions without making any scummy posts or moves. Unless there are crazy revelations, I'd probably consider them Townies on D2.

Kumba is making a lot of great posts and only Someone Awful seems to think he's scummy. Podima is a huge jerk butt who voted for me for a dumb reason (Kash, Tomm, and Kumba thinks this is a weird move) but otherwise Podima hasn't added too much and doesn't seem scummy to me otherwise, jerk vote aside :allears:. I definitely want Podima to post more. SSV is a little quiet and pretty firm on voting biaga (Someone Awful is not cool with SSV's reasoning). SA thinks every other person is scum and is giving a lot of opinions so I'm waiting for D2 to have more of an opinion on SA. TMM is chiming in but I'd like to hear more from him. Deadbeat just joined :toot:

Gabriel has made some scummy posts (TMM and SA agree).

Someone Awful! posted:

I agree that it seems weird that Gabriel Pope didn't make any alignment calls/votes in his last posts; I especially feel like the point he made on me was a bit forced (though obviously I have some bias there, lolol). I feel like his posts are basically throwing softball reads out there in the hope that one of them sticks/gathers steam rather than actually scum-hunting?

##vote gabriel pope

I would like TMM to explain his reasoning more in depth, but I think Gabriel has been a bit wishy washy. Gabriel's vote for Herm at least keeps me from considering Gabriel total scum right now.

Hermetic seems kind of all over the place. Gabriel has been pretty focused on pointing the finger at Herm:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Kashuno is trying way too hard, but he seems confident in his convictions. I find Hermetic's opportunism a lot more eyebrow-raising:

Kashuno jumped on the Biaga vote ASAP, but Heremetic waited for it to conveniently build up some steam before joining in, then tries to stoke things up again when the fire starts to die down. With the weirdest, craziest theory I've ever seen, no less, then backpedaling when it's pointed out how crazy it is.

SA isn't so sure on Herm either but would vote Herm.

Hermetic posted:

Hi Someone Awful!

It's less the defeatism being scummy, but the tone of it. Like he's feigning defeatism and trying to get us to back off. He has an attitude of "Go ahead and lynch me...BUT YOU'LL BE SORRY!" It feels a tad off to me.

I do agree that there are better candidates, though keeping me on your scumdar isn't the worst idea. My lack of posting and appearance of bandwagoning is a bit scummy, I admit.

This comes off super weak and admitting he's kinda scum is a bit of a red flag. Podima thinks Herm is scummy but not enough to vote atm.

Kumbamontu posted:

Evidence is demonstrably not everything in mafia - persuasion is. You don't have to be right, you just need to convince others that you're right. Looking for hard evidence that someone is scum is going to be an uphill battle, because everything is subjective.

As people have already stated, looking for a "viable option" this early reeks of trying to take advantage of someone's blunder instead of actually hunting scum. Gut calls are perfectly fine D1 - even if you're wrong, you can get people to respond to your prods and accusations in order to better gauge their alignment. You're coming across as even more defeatist than Biaga is here. This, combined with your tinfoil theory and Podima's analysis of your sheepishness, leads me to believe you are scum.

##vote Hermetic

Kash backs up Kumba's opinion on Herm.

biaga has rolled over and is playing dead. Maybe this is why the bandwagon has moved on. I can believe that biaga is overly defensive right now because he's a newb who hosed up. He's basically asking to be lynched and nearly everything he says sounds pretty scummy. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for today though, because:

Putting my money down right now would mean ##vote Kashuno. Kash has rolled off the radar a bit recently and to call back attention. Kash attacks Gabriel’s vote on biaga with “this is a weird insinuation” but doesn’t add anything else.

Kash backpedals with his stance after people begin to think maybe biaga is just a poor newbie:

Kashuno posted:

I disagree

##vote Biaga

What?

TMM sees it as the opportunistic vote that it is.

TMMadman posted:

This is an opportunistic vote.

##vote Kash

And I agree.

Scum response!

Later, biaga says Kash is scum. TMM agrees without much reasoning though:

TMMadman posted:

More like people seem to be in a real hurry to jump on a new guy for what basically amounts to awkwardness.

He's got one thing right, Kash is scum.

Gabriel defends Kash and TMM decide the two are in cahoots. Not sure I'm on board with this. I wonder with Gabriel and Kash think about each other?

Nth Doctor posted:

Kash, you went from a vote on Biaga being weird to voting him yourself in just over an hour and you've stuck to your guns ever since. This is why I agree with TMM that your vote seems opportunistic. The only waver you've had was this morning:

Furthermore you got a direct accusation of being bros with Pope and you did the same thing you blame Biaga for:

You aren't answering the charge here. You're just :iiam: at TMM.
##vote Kashuno

Nth has got it right. Kash really isn't owning up to any of the accusations and is offering jackshit as a reason. What's Kash thinking about right now?

Kashuno posted:

TMM seems town right now. He does this every game, and in fact the only time he doesn't make a d1 scum read on me is when he's scum.

Nothing substantial. I'm keeping my vote on you for now, Kash.

I would vote for Gabriel, Herm, or biaga to avoid a no-lynch.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm going to have a slow rear end start since replacing in is always tough for me for some reason. I need to interact to get reads more than reading up on things that happened.

Hermetic posted:

Wow, you jumped to some serious conclusions, given that I never said I thought you were scum, changed my vote, made an accusation, etc.

You're kinda defensive, mate...

I don't like this exchange between Kumba and Hermetic at all. Kumba did kind of jump to a conclusion there, but you did use the words "concretely scummy" which means he was the scummiest read to you at the moment - so in theory, what he said wasn't really that much of a stretch. He didn't really act super defensive in my eyes either.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##vote Hermetic

Feeling good about this.

I want to re-read Kash since people have spoke on him a bit - what's opportunistic about it? It's a weak vote, but it was an early vote and he admittedly said it was something small. I don't agree with it at all since Biaga reads fine to me, but Kash's vote doesn't really stick out to me one way or another.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do people just not read in this game or?????

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deadbeat Dad posted:

##vote Hermetic

Feeling good about this.

I want to re-read Kash since people have spoke on him a bit - what's opportunistic about it? It's a weak vote, but it was an early vote and he admittedly said it was something small. I don't agree with it at all since Biaga reads fine to me, but Kash's vote doesn't really stick out to me one way or another.

Well, part of the problem now is that Kash unvoted earlier and then still ended up going back to Biaga. So I'm not sure what's up with him.

I am starting to agree that Hermetic might be scum.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Do people just not read in this game or?????

I just want to know your opinions :negative:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Colonel, how would it make any sense that Biaga is likely scum if I'm definitely scum? Do you think I'm doing some insane suicidal bussing strat?

How have i rolled off the radar? I've been garnering votes all day and engaging the thread in discussion.

Finding Gabriel's response to be weird doesn't insinuate in any way that I find Biaga to be town, and I don't get where you think I'm back pedaling there.

Currently I think Gabriel is posting a lot, and not a ton that feels substantial to me. As we approach deadline, I'll want to see where their content goes or if it's mostly white noise.

I haven't dodged an accusation and I think it's clear from that you aren't noting my reactions and are in fact trying to create a narrative to support your vote that doesn't exist.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Well, part of the problem now is that Kash unvoted earlier and then still ended up going back to Biaga. So I'm not sure what's up with him.

I am starting to agree that Hermetic might be scum.

I didn't unvote. A broken quote caused me to vote myself

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I didn't unvote. A broken quote caused me to vote myself

Oh my bad, I thought you did an unvote when you said you were going to read Hermetic.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually the amount of inconsistencies and weird story fabrications that I noticed, colonel is jumping on a vote and trying to gauge the feeling of the thread before it becomes a full wagon.

##vote colonel corazon

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Oh my bad, I thought you did an unvote when you said you were going to read Hermetic.

I have a null read on herm right now. They come across a bit condescending, but I don't know if that's necessarily scummy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
HERMETIC. WHO DO YOU THINK IS SCUMMY, AND WHY. This question is literally the entire raison d'etre of Mafia and you keep dancing around and evading questions instead of committing to any opinions.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Colonel, how would it make any sense that Biaga is likely scum if I'm definitely scum? Do you think I'm doing some insane suicidal bussing strat?

How have i rolled off the radar? I've been garnering votes all day and engaging the thread in discussion.

Finding Gabriel's response to be weird doesn't insinuate in any way that I find Biaga to be town, and I don't get where you think I'm back pedaling there.

Currently I think Gabriel is posting a lot, and not a ton that feels substantial to me. As we approach deadline, I'll want to see where their content goes or if it's mostly white noise.

I haven't dodged an accusation and I think it's clear from that you aren't noting my reactions and are in fact trying to create a narrative to support your vote that doesn't exist.

Just because I think biaga could be scum doesn't mean I can't think you're scum as well. I feel like a lot of your answers earlier in the thread were pretty lackluster and it's looking like the votes adding onto you have finally pressured you into giving more of an opinion. Specifically, I think your :iiam:: attitude from earlier flew under the radar when it should have received more flak (Nth pointed it out earlier, too).

I think it's weird that you weren't cool with Gabe's biaga vote and then suddenly voting biaga yourself. :iiam:

Your reactions now have been the most substantial they've been all day. But I think your performance so far has been pretty scummy and I'm still sticking by it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
TMM, give CC's post a read and then read my response. Let me know what you think. Tia

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I don't get you, man. His callouts aren't related to people I've even commented on except for saying I need to reread herm thanks to Kumba. I'm not calling people out without giving alignments or backing my play, we aren't acting similarly or going after the same people. What makes you think that we're both scumbros?

Literally one post later after I posted question blocks.

One. Post.

I didn't even think I was vote leader until after I just posted and checked vote finder, so lol at the idea that I'm responding more because of votes on me

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Actually the amount of inconsistencies and weird story fabrications that I noticed, colonel is jumping on a vote and trying to gauge the feeling of the thread before it becomes a full wagon.

##vote colonel corazon

What am I fabricating? If I just straight up made up something point it out at least. biaga's floundering under pressure but still being a town could be understandable since he's new (unlikely, I think he's prob scum), but I don't think you're making yourself look like much of a diamond with the pressure on you right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Corazon posted:

What am I fabricating? If I just straight up made up something point it out at least. biaga's floundering under pressure but still being a town could be understandable since he's new (unlikely, I think he's prob scum), but I don't think you're making yourself look like much of a diamond with the pressure on you right now.

in what world is he scum with me? Why am I doubling down on my case instead of backing off???

Not to mention, in regards to not liking Gabriel's vote but then voting Biaga, it's almost like the post that Gabriel quoted in his vote wasn't the same as the one I used in my vote! Like we came to that conclusion in different ways!

You are fabricating that I'm A) dodging questions B) somehow off people's radar C)by disagreeing with Gabriel that I found Biaga to be town

• Locked thread