Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Are there any pitchers that are good hitters? Is this something that is seen as valuable?

No and no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I feel bad for whichever team gives Kazmir 3/45

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay, so usually the more involved a defensive position is, the less likely that guy is gonna be a good hitter? I'm assuming catcher is the 2nd most involved after pitcher, so they are usually bad hitters too because they have to focus on being a good catcher which takes a lot of work?

Not exactly. Shortstops, second basemen and center fielders tend to be smaller and faster, because they need more mobility and as a result, they don't tend to hit as many home runs. However, they are exceptions to that, like Mike Trout, who's a ridiculously fast center fielder who's also hit 40 home runs this year (that's a lot).

By comparison, first and third basemen and left and right fielders don't need to be as fast, so they tend to be bigger and slower and hit for more power. Again, there are exceptions.

Also, a "good hitter" can be a few different things. A guy who consistently puts the ball in play and can leg out singles will generally have a higher batting average than a guy who's swinging for the fences and misses a lot.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carlton Banks posted:

Nelly would ensure the NL wins it every year

Just put him on the same roster with Keanu Reeves.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Carlos Zambrano is the last pitcher to hit 6 homers in a season, which he did in 2006. In 85 PAs in 2008, he had an OPS of .892. Andrew McCutchen's OPS this season is .893. And Zambrano was also a switch-hitter.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Don't get my hopes up. Now that the team has somehow found a young, productive offense, the only thing they really need is a top of the rotation starter. But ownership will just have them resign Leake and Byrd and call it a day. :sigh:

e: at least all the loving injuries meant that Aoki didn't get enough PA to opt out

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Carlos Zambrano is the last pitcher to hit 6 homers in a season, which he did in 2006. In 85 PAs in 2008, he had an OPS of .892. Andrew McCutchen's OPS this season is .893. And Zambrano was also a switch-hitter.

In 84 consecutive PAs* Yoenis Cespedes has an OPS of 1.178 with 10 homers so vote for him for the MVP already.

*Aug 25-Sep 12

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros just won, literally, their second road series since April

They are somehow tied in the loss column with the Angels for a playoff spot

They've swept 2 road series all season and won 6 total, 4 of them in April

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone know where I can see the video of Edwin Encarnacion blasting a 9th inning home run in 2008 as a member of the Reds, right after Jeff Brantley said he wasn't clutch? It seems to have disappeared from the mlb.com site.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't know but last season the Twins had some historic guest color guy who said Singleton wasn't a power threat literally right as he was hitting a massive homerun

"nevermind"

e: In actual recent news, if the Astros don't win out they are eliminated from the AL West

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 1, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I hope the Angels, Astros and Twins win out and the Yankees, Rangers and Royals lose out.

So many ties.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Just for laughs, heres the pitchers the Twins used in the second game of a double header tonight against Cleveland. See if you can guess the strategy.

Mike Pelfrey 4.26 ERA

J.R Graham 5.05 ERA

Brian Duensing 4.47 ERA

Phil Hughes 4.4 ERA

P.J. O'Rourke 6.2 ERA

Ricky Nolasco 5.97 ERA

Nolasco made his first appearance since May 31st. He gave up a 3 run homer and a bat flip, and after the game got salty.

quote:

Nolasco said Jose Ramirez's bat flip was a "horseshit move" and that "he'll get his, don't worry."

The Twins can't buy him out until 2018.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intruder posted:

The Astros just won, literally, their second road series since April

They are somehow tied in the loss column with the Angels for a playoff spot

They've swept 2 road series all season and won 6 total, 4 of them in April

It's a good thing for them that the Mariners currently look like this:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pete Rose ASG home plate collision.mpg

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Explosionface posted:

The All-Star game should just be fun so the players can do dumb poo poo that we remember for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDazoAWUvH8

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/15/sports/baseball-griffey-s-backward-cap-still-in-the-forefront.html

:argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Even with things like Walker turning his helmet around and Waino grooving one to Jeter, I think the MLB All Star game is still a closer approximation of a real game than any of the other major sport ASG's.

Stuff like Pedro striking out 5 elite hitters in 2 innings in '99 was awesome and real.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

AegisP posted:

I would take Price's beanie if they're selling it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DAVIDprice14/status/649368808780615680

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MassaShowtime posted:

Does anyone know where I can see the video of Edwin Encarnacion blasting a 9th inning home run in 2008 as a member of the Reds, right after Jeff Brantley said he wasn't clutch? It seems to have disappeared from the mlb.com site.

I looked for that a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't find it anywhere.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Goddamnit!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Rooting for the Cardinals is like pulling for the camp of rich kids across the lake to beat the scrappy band of outcast kids we can all identify with in the annual camp olympics.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YodaTFK posted:

Please trigger warning that poo poo :(

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Rooting for the Cardinals is like pulling for the camp of rich kids across the lake to beat the scrappy band of outcast kids we can all identify with in the annual camp olympics.
Rooting for the Cardinals is like sex (post your best im bad at/never have sex comeback)

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

ALFbrot posted:

The younger kids learn their place in society the better.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Where was Brian Moorman when Sean Taylor was shot?!?!

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

straight up brolic posted:

Rooting for the Cardinals is like sex (post your best im bad at/never have sex comeback)

If you like your sex to be long and tense and drawn out and then hang up right before the climax a lot, sure.

Watching the Blue Jays has been like the kind of sex that confident adults have, i'm told.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bawfuls posted:

Pete Rose ASG home plate collision.mpg

My favorite was Randy Johnson lobbing one at the head of John Kruk and then Kruk striking out while flailing a pitch or so later.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ALFbrot posted:

And hating the Cubs is like hating the camp of retarded kids.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Never in my life have I hated the Cubs. I used to watch their day games on WGN sometimes, actually.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dr. Tommy John posted:

If you like your sex to be long and tense and drawn out and then hang up right before the climax a lot, sure.

Watching the Blue Jays has been like the kind of sex that confident adults have, i'm told.
If you mean 'adult' in the sense that you havent bust since 1993

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

YodaTFK posted:

Just for laughs, heres the pitchers the Twins used in the second game of a double header tonight against Cleveland. See if you can guess the strategy.

Mike Pelfrey 4.26 ERA

J.R Graham 5.05 ERA

Brian Duensing 4.47 ERA

Phil Hughes 4.4 ERA

P.J. O'Rourke 6.2 ERA

Ricky Nolasco 5.97 ERA

Nolasco made his first appearance since May 31st. He gave up a 3 run homer and a bat flip, and after the game got salty.

That's a lot of pitchers to use, right? Were they trying to let rookies play?

Is bat flip like flipping the bird with a huge finger?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

If you mean 'adult' in the sense that you havent bust since 1993

We were married to an abusive husband, what can I say?

e: our newest member swoops in with the thread title!

MLB Playoffs N/V, October 2015 - flipping the bird with a giant finger

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Here's a pretty photograph of a blue jay beating the poo poo out of a cardinal in the snow. It's a propos of nothing and is not symbolic or metaphorical in any way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Okay, so usually the more involved a defensive position is, the less likely that guy is gonna be a good hitter? I'm assuming catcher is the 2nd most involved after pitcher, so they are usually bad hitters too because they have to focus on being a good catcher which takes a lot of work?

In addition to what others have said, you have a smaller pool of players to draw from so the general talent level will be lower. A ton of guys can play first base, so guys who can't hit well from there generally don't make it. Few guys can play catcher, so you settle for what you can get. If you end up with a great hitting catcher you're very happy.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

There's only one right way to have sex and that way is missionary. All other ways are wrong and bad and worthy of shaming by me, the best sex-haver.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rooting for the Cubs is like being a power bottom

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

YodaTFK posted:

Mike Pelfrey 4.26 ERA

J.R Graham 5.05 ERA

Brian Duensing 4.47 ERA

Phil Hughes 4.4 ERA

P.J. O'Rourke 6.2 ERA

Ricky Nolasco 5.97 ERA

Everyone should cheer for the Twins. The fact that they're still in the race is amazing.

Also it's probably the only way we get a meaningful day on the last day of games.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 1, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

bawfuls posted:

Even with things like Walker turning his helmet around and Waino grooving one to Jeter, I think the MLB All Star game is still a closer approximation of a real game than any of the other major sport ASG's.

Stuff like Pedro striking out 5 elite hitters in 2 innings in '99 was awesome and real.

I mean you'll see people who try to put on a show like Pedro, but in general the vibe I get is that players don't care that much. It's just way less obvious when you don't give a poo poo in baseball than it is in basketball or football.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Jesus Christ, finally caught up with the double header. What the hell happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Jesus Christ, finally caught up with the double header. What the hell happened?

Pelfrey had a 6.95 ERA in September after yesterday's 1.2 inning start. It was also really bad prior to the start.

• Locked thread