Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

just saying you need near immortal godlike characters tearing through huge hoards of pathetic foes, lots of randomized places to do it in, and lots of cool shiny poo poo to drop from enemies to really get an arpg "right" and they never quite really managed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ArbitraryC posted:

I think it's going to be real hard to get back any of that mmo magic with wikis popping up for games before they even come out nowadays. I think a huge part of eq, wow, and their predecessors was that no one ever really new precisely what was going on so you were kind of forced to explore, get lost, and work together to get anywhere. it made the world feel organic to the point where there were player created roles and jobs just for navigating the world. In addition to games being less obtuse, more streamlined, and more solo friendly nowadays, that it's so easy to just google the "best" way to play the game ends up making everything bland.

That whole WoWhead poo poo or whatever was a pretty big part in killing any interest in WoW for me. Who wants to actually play the game or figure out how to beat a tough boss. Just read this site and do this strategy to the letter. Who cares if you think you can figure out a better way, or if you can spec your character in a more efficient manner. People only want to do what this website tells them to do and if the guide isn't up yet they'll just skip that boss until it is. As awful and frustrating as Vanilla WoW was, it could be fun when you finally figured out how to beat a boss (and then subsequently someone rage quit the guild when they didn't get the item they wanted) but by the time I quit mid-wrath people were outright refusing to do raids with anyone who didn't use a cookie cutter build and one or two button macros, would never try to tackle a boss in any way that wasn't wiki approved and any consideration of strategy for an entire raid was just "did you watch the youtube video?". No marking or anything anymore, just a rush through even if the people doing it were running through for their first time.

Shakra posted:

Elder Scrolls Online does this, when you finish the game you get to play through the other two factions content and its like a new game +, and then after that you can go to a new vetran world, and then there is the large scale pvp stuff.

Is that F2P yet? I kind of expected it to go under in less than a year to be honest.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Didn't Wildsar have a huge currency exploit that ruined the entire game economy and the devs refused to roll the servers back far enough to fix it and were generally really rude on their forums or something?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

basically everything that could be done wrong the wildstar people did do wrong it was pretty great

like part of their whole sell point for the game was that it took wow and rolled back and/or removed all of the things wow had learned and fixed in it's time and they expected people to just flock to this in droves

of course before their game came out wow basically did exactly the same thing and has been hemorrhaging players ever since so whatever

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I played Tabula Rasa for a bit then one day it got shitcanned

NCSoft cancelled it while richard garriott was in space so that he couldn't cash in his stock options until the game was gone. it apparently wasn't even doing that badly and they ended up paying a shitload of money (twice) to him as a result

i think NCSoft just really hates western audiences

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

NecroMonster posted:

basically everything that could be done wrong the wildstar people did do wrong it was pretty great

Getting rid of the titty slider was just one in a series of bad decisions apparently.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgVS9yNFGg

incredible pvp

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Neurolimal posted:

NCSoft cancelled it while richard garriott was in space so that he couldn't cash in his stock options until the game was gone. it apparently wasn't even doing that badly and they ended up paying a shitload of money (twice) to him as a result

i think NCSoft just really hates western audiences

It was fun as I remember although I didn't play too much of it, my over riding memory was one of 'welp' when it suddenly hosed off

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Can people start telling old MMO stories now? I like threads like those.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Getting rid of the titty slider was just one in a series of bad decisions apparently.

It's kind of funny to think that a titty slider was added to the game because enough players complained about how big the boobs in the game were.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Rosalind posted:

there was the time my younger brother nearly died while camping some monsters spawn in EQ

or the other time he nearly died while camping some other monsters spawn in EQ

or the one time he nearly died camping the spawn of the first monster that he nearly died while camping in EQ

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
One time I fell asleep waiting for the boat over the ocean of tears in EQ, and woke up just in time to catch it, then fell asleep and woke up an hour one a half later back where I started. I think this was around when I decided to stop playing

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rosalind posted:

I was playing Aeon with a bunch of Goons and my name was chingobling like chingo bling the rapper.

That's my Aeon story. gently caress that game.

I played shadowbane for a long time and my buddies and I exploited this currency dupe to build massive cities that the biggest guild or whatever in the game couldn't take down.

I figured out a private dupe in Diablo 2 LoD and bragged to the guy who was bragging on the forums about it. He got really pissy about it and sent it to Blizzard.

I had sex with your mom

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 1, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i once played an mmo with a goon before i was a goon and he would not shut the gently caress up about hating black people and he still posts on something awful and loves defending people who shoot black kids and gun laws

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Haven't heard a peep about DAOC. That was like 8 grinds packed into one character. Levels, master levels, artifact levels, realm levels, multiple crafting skill levels, and RvR was pretty amazing, I mean, eventually you were assaulting keeps with seigecraft on boats

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Rosalind posted:

I played Aeon when it fist came out, five of my other friends did too. I played a ranger, and I didn't get any kind of combo attack or anything to start with. Leveling was taking forever, I was only like lv 13 and I had to endlessly kite enemies and avoid any adds if I wanted to kill anything. Then I saw my friend who was their version of a cleric run up to a couple monsters a level or two above us and instantly beat them down in like a third the time it took me and run off. I looked at how much poo poo I had to kill to get my next level and just unsubscribed. That's my Aeon story, I probably sucked or something, but my other friend playing ranger also reported the same experience.

I also really thought Guild Wars 2 was going to have potential when I got started. It seemed fun, you leveled quickly and could play low level content without a penalty, the world events were neat. Then they started the updates and it became an endless stream of grinding for new skins and tools. People only really played that content, it was repetitive and existed just to frustrate you enough to turn to the cash shop. They actually added new missions in the second year and I went back and played them briefly, but that game is a mess of currencies and hollow pointless grinds as much as any MMO. (Just the grinds mostly aren't tied to stats) The biggest issue by far is that they removed the 'holy trinity' of Tank-Healer-DPS and failed to replace it with any form of roles at all. Combined with pitifully easy PvE content and a dodge roll, basically every player is just DPS. Any class designed to do anything except huge quick damage is just worse for PvE.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MrAptronym posted:

I was pretty angry at ED at the time, but I think it was good for the game. Controllers could keep rooms of enemies permanently locked down. Blasters instantly killed huge swaths, Tanks could fight an entire map of werewolves in a dumpster. Adding the diminishing returns did end up with a better game and more diversity among builds, but it could be one of the biggest nerfs in MMO history. It didn't make the heros less strong than common enemies though, I rarely ever had trouble with anything less than special named elite/archvillains. It also allowed the invention system to come along though.

As for my characters, I liked making and playing alts, but if I recall my lv 50s were: a Rifle/Device Blaster named "Dulce et Decorum", a Soldier/pain Mastermind named "Pro Patria Mori", a Radiation/Radiation Defender named "Carcinogenesis" and a Ninja/Thermal Matsermind named "Konohanasakuya". As a related note, it was really hard to get names, it felt like everything was taken. The one feature Champions had that I really liked was to allow characters to use repeat names, with a unique account identifier to distinguish. I also had a Plant/Psychic Dominator and a Spine/Regen scrapper. I can't for the life of me remember their names.

The thing is- instead of nerfing everyone they should have accomodated that kind of playing- as in expected battles to be 30 vs 1 type deals. Because you were extremely powerful superheroes at that point in the game. And yeah when I say "heroes were as strong as common enemies" their way of thinking was that 1 hero = 3 lieutenants or whatever. You're right it led to a lot of good but I always felt like they missed the point that it is a game where you are a superhero.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 1, 2015

az
Dec 2, 2005

uo was the only good mmo and if you disagree you should corp por yourself in the head

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
mmos are for children, adults simply do not have the time to waste on them

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The thing is- instead of nerfing everyone they should have accomodated that kind of playing- as in expected battles to be 30 vs 1 type deals. Because you were extremely powerful superheroes at that point in the game.

I think the changes were a good idea. It had better gameplay and honestly the most comic book moments were taking down strong foes not hoards of weaklings. The game was not designed around massive battles. The engine did not handle having 50+ enemies on the screen with particle effects .etc very well. The game wasn't even balanced for that kind of fight pre-ED either. It would have taken a hundred enemies or more to wear down some tank or regen builds. Also, it meant AoE characters were just better than single target ones. There was no point to teaming because it only realistically took two characters to beat anything less than a Giant Monster. Even post-nerf and before inventions, when heroes were at their weakest, many could pretty easily take on groups of 20 or so minions solo, I did it on my Blaster pretty often. Pre-ED you were farming entire maps to one spot and killing them. (The target cap was another big change)

I respect that you may have liked the game before the changes, but I still think it was healthier for the game long term. It meant more builds were usable, encouraged slotting things other than Damage and Resistance and made it so teaming mattered in the game. Having people be infinitely powerful is neat for a while, but its not going to sustain a game. If its any consideration, characters with good inventions and incarnate powers were basically that strong again in the end. If I would have made a change, I would have introduced ED alongside Inventions, not before, so that the blow could at least have been softened.

Drothmar
Feb 18, 2015

The Rage posted:

Also I miss the hell out of EQ because it was terrifying and hard and dangerous and it was a huge world that took you months and months to explore and the legends and stories in it were just as fascinating. Nothing feels like that again.

So many late nights

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Nuebot posted:

Is that F2P yet? I kind of expected it to go under in less than a year to be honest.

Elder Scrolls Online is B2P with an optional but entirely pointless sub option. I'd rate it slightly under GW2, but not by much, because GW2 has a better auction house system and less bugs. However, ESO gets more long term points because it has a meatier endgame.

Both games are fun and neither require 12 hours of mandatory poopsock camping or day-long raids to accomplish anything

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Drothmar posted:

So many late nights

https://project1999.com

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Nuebot posted:

That whole WoWhead poo poo or whatever was a pretty big part in killing any interest in WoW for me. Who wants to actually play the game or figure out how to beat a tough boss. Just read this site and do this strategy to the letter. Who cares if you think you can figure out a better way, or if you can spec your character in a more efficient manner. People only want to do what this website tells them to do and if the guide isn't up yet they'll just skip that boss until it is. As awful and frustrating as Vanilla WoW was, it could be fun when you finally figured out how to beat a boss (and then subsequently someone rage quit the guild when they didn't get the item they wanted) but by the time I quit mid-wrath people were outright refusing to do raids with anyone who didn't use a cookie cutter build and one or two button macros, would never try to tackle a boss in any way that wasn't wiki approved and any consideration of strategy for an entire raid was just "did you watch the youtube video?". No marking or anything anymore, just a rush through even if the people doing it were running through for their first time.

it's f2p and pretty fun

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gargle chome posted:

mmos are for children, adults simply do not have the time to waste on them

i keep wanting to go back to MMOs i loved or try new ones but every time i do it quickly becomes clear i just don't have time to do all the stuff you need to do. it sucks, i bought FFXIV and the expansion and got to level 50, almost finished everytrhing i needed to do cool expansion content, and then grad school started and i suddently don't have time for it at all

sucks poo poo tbh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What is the best non-WoW MMO r/n if I don't particularly want to play TESO? (GW2 is great but I am bored with it now). Would it be FFXIV? Recommend me a pathetic timesink, nerds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

What is the best non-WoW MMO r/n if I don't particularly want to play TESO? (GW2 is great but I am bored with it now). Would it be FFXIV? Recommend me a pathetic timesink, nerds.

well i hear wildstar is free to play now

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Yeah whatever happened to night in video games where you can't see poo poo without a light source?

Can't see poo poo because I chose Human Paladin, think I'll kill spiders in Oasis of Marr OH WAIT TRAIN OF SPECTRES AND SANDGIANTS I AM NOW DEAD

repeat ad inifinitum

Even this can't scratch that itch, it was a mixture of being young and stupid and listening to obvious bullshit about a game, and not having the ability to go and see half the poo poo in the game because of my level or gear or not enough people in my group. The game has been explored and nothing is exciting and new and weird anymore.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

well i hear wildstar is free to play now

No no I think you misheard, I said "best" not "most desperate and depressing to think about"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

is there a good mmo? dont say eve

i played planetside 2 for a bit but ehhh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
All MMOs are bad without exception.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

loquacius posted:

I'm thinking of starting up Vindictus again. It had a great combat system. A mix of WWE and dark souls.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I've been on and off WoW for years, would just unsubscribe when it got stale. I think it's pretty much permanently stale now though, and rehashing demon hunters and illidans isn't going to bring it back.

Used to play it a bunch with my old college buds. Good times. :cool:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The Rage posted:

Can't see poo poo because I chose Human Paladin, think I'll kill spiders in Oasis of Marr OH WAIT TRAIN OF SPECTRES AND SANDGIANTS I AM NOW DEAD

repeat ad inifinitum

Even this can't scratch that itch, it was a mixture of being young and stupid and listening to obvious bullshit about a game, and not having the ability to go and see half the poo poo in the game because of my level or gear or not enough people in my group. The game has been explored and nothing is exciting and new and weird anymore.

Lol holy poo poo remember EC when you'd get bit by a snake and loving die from its poison? Or your teammates would just sit there and start to bleed out from venom and everyone would just stand around feeling helpless cause the cleric was OOM and no one had cure poison or bandages trained up.

E: I think one of my favorite thing was that on some servers there was no common tongue, so people had to learn other languages by spamming group chat. It was great and stupid at the same time.

I went troll just so snakes wouldnt kill me with poison cause of that plus regen :buddy:

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 1, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

is there a good mmo? dont say eve

i played planetside 2 for a bit but ehhh

heroes of the storm is like a moba but half as long and with all the slow autistic parts removed, worth checking out

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

loquacius posted:

it would absolutely be ffxiv. ffxiv is the best mmo i've played since vanilla WoW, it loving owns. it's pretty, the dungeons are fun, it has a tolerable storyline which is really an exceptional trait for an MMO to have, the systems are really easy to understand, and the grouping mechanisms let you jump in and out of stuff whenever

FFXIV owns and i'd be playing it still if i had time. goons in the tertiary goon guild are cool too since they're not the super alpha hardcore goon guild

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Al Borland posted:

but do you mods for autistics?

Even FF is poo poo. They're all poo poo. Find me an MMO that isn't poo poo and I'll lay a golden egg.

shut the gently caress up you weird nerd 2 years ago you were bumming gw2 so hard you spent so much money on avs for it and wouldnt shut up about it on steam

you are literally the worst poster on this board even worse than the chris chan pizza girl

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if your MMO isn't free to play w/ microtransactions that aren't overbearing (ie mostly if not all cosmetic poo poo) in 2015 then your business model sucks.

also, most MMOs are poo poo skinner boxes designed to do nothing but be a massive timesink to get you to keep playing and thus spending money. all about that grief life.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 1, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

RedHotKick posted:

shut the gently caress up you weird nerd 2 years ago you were bumming gw2 so hard you spent so much money on avs for it and wouldnt shut up about it on steam

you are literally the worst poster on this board even worse than the chris chan pizza girl

I don't remember spending more than 5 bucks on an av? Even then that AV was based on the previous game which was pretty chill for what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I've been on and off WoW for years, would just unsubscribe when it got stale. I think it's pretty much permanently stale now though, and rehashing demon hunters and illidans isn't going to bring it back.

Used to play it a bunch with my old college buds. Good times. :cool:

Scary Mary was the best worst thing to ever happen.

• Locked thread