Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Starlin Castro True Believers Club, assemble!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

He's also taken 1 unintentional walk in that time. Definitely a sign of a guy with a good approach.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Miguel Sano's BABIP of .407 is 100% sustainable because like half his outs are strikeouts.

(it's actually almost 60%)

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Hitting Metric

Year-Year
Correlation
2002-2012

Contact% 0.896
SwStr% 0.886
SO/(AB+SF) 0.870
SO/PA 0.861
Swing% 0.851
O-Contact% 0.848
Z-Swing% 0.845
O-Swing% 0.826
Z-Contact% 0.821
GB% 0.793
HR/(AB-K+SF) 0.775
Zone% 0.768
uBB/(PA-HBP-IBB) 0.765
FB% 0.759
HR/FB 0.740
HR/PA 0.737
iBB/PA 0.734
ISO 0.722
HBP/(PA-IBB) 0.627
OBP 0.611
3B/(2B+3B) 0.606
SLG 0.605
IFFB% 0.605
F-Strike% 0.593
3B/PA 0.590
wOBA 0.581
AVG 0.427
(3B+2B)/(H-HR) 0.407
BABIP 0.373
2B/PA 0.315
LD% 0.293

It's literally the least correlated hitting metric year to year, far less than BABIP.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
So long as they leave Barlin Bastro off the playoff roster I'm not worried about facing Starlin Castro in the WS.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zakharov posted:

Starlin Castro True Believers Club, assemble!

Reporting for duty :patriot:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
starlin castro sucks and it's hilarious that all the cubs fans who were ripping him earlier in the season and wanted to trade him for beans are now defending him like he turned into tony gwynn again

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You know who Starlin Castro reminds me of?

Tony Gwynn

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dr. Tommy John posted:

It's literally the least correlated hitting metric year to year, far less than BABIP.

okay, his contact rate in the first half was 81.1% and it's 84.8% in the second then

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Starling Castro leads the league in awesome walk-up songs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Starling Castro leads the league in awesome walk-up songs.

this is really all that matters

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Poque posted:

okay, his contact rate in the first half was 81.1% and it's 84.8% in the second then

Well why didn't you just say that in the first place!? :spergin:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zamboni Jesus posted:

congratulations john gibbons for managing to top last night's lineup

Isn't that the same lineup as game 2?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Like obviously I don't think Castro is a season-long .383/.400/.633 guy but I don't think he's a .236/.271/.304 guy either

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

starlin castro sucks and it's hilarious that all the cubs fans who were ripping him earlier in the season and wanted to trade him for beans are now defending him like he turned into tony gwynn again

As long as Castro falls somewhere between Tony Gwynn and Darwin Barney on the hitting balls with sticks scale then I'm good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Castro has a season line of .310/.333/.479 against the Cardinals, confirmed demon slayer.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I totally called this except I thought the Starlin Castro opinion wheel wouldn't spin back around to "elite All-Star hitter" until next year

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

this is really all that matters

Best part of Sunday's game beyond Arrieta's overall ownage was that they played his walk up song, complete with bullpen footwork on the big screen, and then the Bucs challenged the count on the previous walk. After the review they played his walk up music again because gently caress you, it's awesome.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

The Pussy Boss posted:

I totally called this except I thought the Starlin Castro opinion wheel wouldn't spin back around to "elite All-Star hitter" until next year

its been quite the castro-coaster this year

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

YodaTFK posted:

Mike Pelfrey 4.26 ERA

J.R Graham 5.05 ERA

Brian Duensing 4.47 ERA

Phil Hughes 4.4 ERA

P.J. O'Rourke 6.2 ERA

Ricky Nolasco 5.97 ERA

What in the what now?

Does he seriously go by PJ?

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

MassaShowtime posted:

Isn't that the same lineup as game 2?

yeah but with hutchinson pitching instead of dickey so it'll be like 8-0 after 2 innings

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Zamboni Jesus posted:

yeah but with hutchinson pitching instead of dickey so it'll be like 8-0 after 2 innings

The infield is already a giant puddle and everyone is soaked and gently caress Joe West.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

It's october now you guys or are we just shacking up here until the playoffs start?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
World Series Game 7 winning pitcher Jeremy Affeldt announced his retirement after the end of this season.

Dr. Tommy John posted:

It's october now you guys or are we just shacking up here until the playoffs start?

Make a new thread, if you want one. :justpost:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Tony Phillips posted:

What in the what now?

Does he seriously go by PJ?

When he's not serving up meatballs, he's frequenting NPR quiz shows.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

World Series Game 7 winning pitcher Jeremy Affeldt announced his retirement after the end of this season.

RIP

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol get hosed Ricky Nolasco

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dr. Tommy John posted:

Guys I know his BABIP is high but so is his line drive rate and THAT is a really sustainable improvement!

This is a good time to remind people that line drive rate is not a good predictor of future line drive rate. It's doesn't correlate well season-to-season so it's not really considered a repeatable skill.

Groundball/ fly ball rates and hitting the ball hard are different.

and 80 hit tools :downsrim:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 1, 2015

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

tadashi posted:

This is a good time to remind people that line drive rate is not a good predictor of future line drive rate.

Hey this sounds a lot like that thing I said!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ill hold off my judgement on castro until I see how many pounds of muscle he puts on in the offseason.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Ben Revere is the best hitter in Baseball.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's too bad we don't have any video, audio, or transcript of Ichiro's infamous ASG pre-game pep talk.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

The next sabermetric stat will quantify inspiration based on regressing motivational clubhouse speeches to their historical means. We have the knowledge, as soon as the technology catches up so we can track it!

e: despite being the most motivational speech of all time, the Hunter Pence speech actually barely cracks the top 10 as it was given to the SF Giants in an even year and therefore Jonathon Papelbon could have got that team ready to win together.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tommy John posted:

The next sabermetric stat will quantify inspiration based on regressing motivational clubhouse speeches to their historical means. We have the knowledge, as soon as the technology catches up so we can track it!

e: despite being the most motivational speech of all time, the Hunter Pence speech actually barely cracks the top 10 as it was given to the SF Giants in an even year and therefore Jonathon Papelbon could have got that team ready to win together.

look pal we should really nail down CLBHSE-SPCHS before we worry about normalizing it into CLBHSE-SPCHS+

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Xenophon posted:

look pal we should really nail down CLBHSE-SPCHS before we worry about normalizing it into CLBHSE-SPCHS+

STATISTICS WITHOUT CONTEXT ARE MEANINGLESS INTEGERS! :pseudo:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
starlin castro is unlucky when he's bad and it's his true talent level when he's good it has nothing to do with the fact that his skill set is a high variance one. check out my fangraphs scouting report.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

starlin castro is unlucky when he's bad and it's his true talent level when he's good it has nothing to do with the fact that his skill set is a high variance one. check out my fangraphs scouting report.

god drat you enigmatic slap hitters, you do it to me ev-er-y time

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Question since I missed the celebration: Did Osuna have to just sadly sip on Coca-Cola while everybody else celebrated since he's only 20

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The DL just got a lot more boring. Goodbye to the only man whose backyard cook-outs had pennant race consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves promoted John Coppolella to GM.

• Locked thread