Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
OK that makes a lot more sense. I know I recognized some of the tiles and the general aesthetic seemed similar, but there were a lot of tiles that looked new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Will the other terrain types like the Flower Fields and Ruins get a generation overhaul like caves?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Will the other terrain types like the Flower Fields and Ruins get a generation overhaul like caves?

Depends, our short term list is the Caves and the six day stilt (and some adventure branches from the stilt)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
We really need a portable food dehydrator in this game

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The geomagnetic disc is awesome, ya'll should get one.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
this thread is surreal to read if you've never touched the game. it reads like a parody thread but its real???

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Unormal posted:

*Mafeo now stocks a lot of basic ammo

Not sure if this is intentional, but he only stocks a lot of basic ammo the first time around. When he restocks, its back to a low amount.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

curious lump posted:

this thread is surreal to read if you've never touched the game. it reads like a parody thread but its real???

Haha, well yeah it's a roguelike, and a really fun one at that.

Diggin the Friday Update, especially being able to craft metric tons of ammo and going all out shooting dudes, instead of saving bullets for the rainy days.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hah I've got a little saved-game forensic spy going. I've killed a few really nice bugs. Like this one guy was using temporal fugue, and there were tons of old clones with thousands of inventory objects littering memory/the save because of thrown-torches tracking the last person who threw them and not releasing the game object reference.

Tens of thousands of objects that existed only in the dreams of a long-since-thrown torch. Rest easy sweet torch.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I remember when you were explaining the way that every object works in the game, you said something to the effect of slate walls having as much of a rich inner life as any N/PC.

Everything remembers.

:tinfoil:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

I remember when you were explaining the way that every object works in the game, you said something to the effect of slate walls having as much of a rich inner life as any N/PC.

Everything remembers.

:tinfoil:

It really does, the other hugeee subset of extra-objects were LastDamagedBy references, which include Walls. Walls filled with hatred for their last damagers. They'll forget the hate now on-save (if the hater no-longer exists).

*Walls no longer forever dream of the last creature that damaged it if that creature has since died

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Been away from Qud for a while.

Awoke again in Joppa.

What are all these ranged choices. :woot:

I petted a cat.

I now glow a pretty color.

Headed over to grab some copper wire for Argyve.

Got my head blown up by a legendary Seer of the Sightless Eye while looking for the last 50' of copper wire.

I'm home. :allears:

Serious thought: Having in game literature point the player to hidden locations in the desert is a very cool idea.

Edit: The new tiles are really quite cool and thematic. I have to admit I was skeptical at first.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 28, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, heh, these saved game changes threw away almost half the junk objects in a long-played saved game. This is going to help memory/save game size/time a lot I'll see if I can get it up onto the Beta branch tomorrow.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 28, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Heck yeah!

Unormal posted:

*Walls no longer forever dream of the last creature that damaged it if that creature has since died

Lol this has to do with the digging claws right? When the walls go all sparkly green? Or is it something more sinister...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Humans Among Us posted:

Heck yeah!

Lol this has to do with the digging claws right? When the walls go all sparkly green? Or is it something more sinister...

Objects keep track of a few properties, like the last creature that damaged them, or the last thing that threw them, to assign damage/death reasons appropriately. However, digging around in well-aged save files, I realized that lots of objects were remembering that clones had damaged them (maybe they threw a grenade) and that was keeping the reference to the clone alive basically forever in the saves/zone cache/memory; so now if a last-damager dies, it will be cleaned up properly. This is an ancient, ancient, bug in the code finally put down.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
While we're on the subject, is there a keyboard command for "forget about the thing you're targeting?" Because it's really annoying to perpetually autoaim at that angry plant you took a single potshot at (on the other side of the map, 500 turns ago) when you're trying to fight the evasive ranged enemy that came along and interrupted your plant-shooting.

Also, do clones actually do anything with items in inventory? Mine always seem to run out of ammo and then just close to melee, and they definitely never pull out and use any grenades or other weapons I have on me.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

While we're on the subject, is there a keyboard command for "forget about the thing you're targeting?" Because it's really annoying to perpetually autoaim at that angry plant you took a single potshot at (on the other side of the map, 500 turns ago) when you're trying to fight the evasive ranged enemy that came along and interrupted your plant-shooting.

Also, do clones actually do anything with items in inventory? Mine always seem to run out of ammo and then just close to melee, and they definitely never pull out and use any grenades or other weapons I have on me.

You could aim at a wall or something, but I should add the ability to clear a target from the target picker. The AI is a little derpy about equipping more thrown items/guns after they use the one they have equipped to depletion, but it's on my list to fix.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just posted a build to the Beta branch with a significant set of fixes for long-standing issues with the object retention graph, which improves complex game save game size and memory sprawl by 50% or more.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Are there plans to add some kind of "command" skill, or build it out under Persuasion, so that you could actually issue generalized orders to your clones/proselytized followers/beguiled goats?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Are there plans to add some kind of "command" skill, or build it out under Persuasion, so that you could actually issue generalized orders to your clones/proselytized followers/beguiled goats?

I've got a few things I want to do in the mid-priority range. At least be able to rename stuff that doesn't have a name yet.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone mentioned that taking force bubble turns your time clones into keystone cop morons

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I improve the AI for your time clones all the monster AI in the game is going to improve with it. So careful what you wish for.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
That thing in the badlands already has pretty good targeting and is a relentless rear end in a top hat.

Yes more AI please.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

How do you get the samus aran the skybear out of his cryochamber? Do you need to destroy the walls or is there some lever or w/e i didn't see?

E; Like i'm level 20 atm and i gotta go to !Bethesda really, but i;m trying to see what else i can do before i go there. Bethesda is pretty spooky and my last good char died there at one of the 'bosses' that was invisible.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 30, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The glass walls are pretty flimsy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
^^^ Yeah this, trick him into throwing stones

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hehehe, i looked at the wiki what the bearguy was about. It said he was a wu tang swordsmaster of some sort and i chickened out. Went to Bethesda Susa were i perished at the hands of Jotun iirc.

Turns out if you disarm that fellow, he will throw his throwing axes at you through a force-bubble. Lol RIP :')

E; Game is starting to take it's toll, as i just recall i briefly dreamed about catching Glotrot...

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 1, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Why does Mehmet keep getting vaporized by the warden's laser rifle this happens 3 out of 4 games I start

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Eat, drink and watch the show brother.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Why does Mehmet keep getting vaporized by the warden's laser rifle this happens 3 out of 4 games I start

I think it started as an unintentional side effect of the faction system and then stayed in because it's hilarious. Is it still possible to get/do the Red Rock quest without Mehmet?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think it started as an unintentional side effect of the faction system and then stayed in because it's hilarious. Is it still possible to get/do the Red Rock quest without Mehmet?

No, but it's not a plot-line essential quest, so it's actually not a game-breaker, though people treat it as such. The fact that it's the first thing in your face makes it feel super important, when it's really just a nice-to-have reward. We're planning for six-day still to add some horizontal breadth to opening game plays.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It is nice for guaranteed access to an ubernostrum injector, though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

It is impossible to start the quest after he is dead. However, I found out that, as long as you start the quest before he gets offed by the Warden (which involves sprinting to him immediately and hammering the quest accept), you can turn in the completed quest to Irudad directly (without needing to ask Mehmet first) and still get the rewards.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

It is impossible to start the quest after he is dead. However, I found out that, as long as you start the quest before he gets offed by the Warden (which involves sprinting to him immediately and hammering the quest accept), you can turn in the completed quest to Irudad directly (without needing to ask Mehmet first) and still get the rewards.

The ideal opportunistic scenario, as you get the quest reward later and a free vinereaper from Mehmet's frozen corpse up front :eng101:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is there any differences between a Steel Vinereaper and a Steel Battle-axe, apart from the name? They look identical, but this IS a roguelike so... Not sure if there's any hidden properties to items or some such.

Also Hook & Drag is a ridiculous skill now i found out you can drag guys everywhere. I used that on some pink snapjaw hero and found out i couldn't get rid of him and he wouldn't break loose.. That was a really silly death :black101:

I kinda wanna be able to drag dudes into young ivory's and such now, but i don't think that works

E; "the bloody turret's dismembered feet"

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 2, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ed: The vinereaper only comes in steel while the battle axe comes in many different grades and metals.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Battle axes are one-handed. Unless it's a two-handed battle axe :eng101:.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ed: The vinereaper only comes in steel while the battle axe comes in many different grades and metals.

There are iron vinereapers. Player watervine farmers start with them :science:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

There are iron vinereapers. Player watervine farmers start with them :science:
Yes but you won't find a musteel vinereaper, much as I would have liked to :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Vinereapers are for vines. Battle axes are for battle. :science: :eng101: :science: