Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Zenostein posted:

Also, it doesn't really matter like, at all, but who the hell greets their estranged wife of like, 2–3 years with a loving handshake? I get it, but still what the hell.

Pretty much everything involving Hibiki's dad is one long string of "who DOES that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He does come off as a genuine idiot.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i struggle to think of worse anime dads

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Gyra_Solune posted:

He still falls short of the gold standard, Gendou.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

vibratingsheep posted:

He still falls short of the gold standard, Gendou.

gendou could at least run a paramilitary organization well enough to where it almost might have saved the world probably

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Finally catching up with GX and boy I was not ready for the world's best/worst Faustian Bargain and PHILOSOPHICAL WEAPONS.

Symphogear is a gift that keeps on giving.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Gyra_Solune posted:

He's just a deadbeat who ran off to the sticks to run a 7/11. There's always worse.

What bugs me most about him is that he really doesn't look like he's more than 26. Like, Kazanari's aide/ninja-in-training guy looks older than him. Although that might just be the suit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zenostein posted:

He's just a deadbeat who ran off to the sticks to run a 7/11. There's always worse.
I don't think he runs that 7/11.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Hibiki's dad's still a creep. I didn't know how to feel about that storyline being resolved. I guess the emphasis is on Hibiki's feelings, so it's good for her to be strong about it in the end.

I felt there were not enough Miku x Hibiki moments this season, but quite a few Maria x Tsubasa, which were all really good. I love the mix of seriousness and moe that makes up both their personalities.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Finally got to groupwatch the last two episodes, and boy what a doozy.

Loved DMJii Crab-Beyblade and Carol getting a Liger Zero.

Very surprised that they broke from the prior two instances and used Glorious Break instead of Exterminate for the final attack. I gotta say, though, the way it all cuts to the vocals during the attack card gives me chills.

Please give us another season of this horrible stupid trainwreck ride. I'm so curious about those sequel hooks.

graybook fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 28, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hibiki's dad's still a creep. I didn't know how to feel about that storyline being resolved. I guess the emphasis is on Hibiki's feelings, so it's good for her to be strong about it in the end.

I'm entirely convinced that if it's brought up again that Hibiki is not going to have a good time of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Marathoned the three seasons on Crunchyroll. Hell of a ride. It was a crying shame they were so inconsistent about subbing the songs during GX, though, especially when Chris was letting rip. Best line of the third season remained 'Adjusting K2 to the rank of Earth's third-highest mountain', although 'He just showed up out of nowhere and won't stop talking' was pretty great, too. I also adored how this season's upgrade involved asking 9/11-chan to make them all suicide brooches.

Looking forward to S4, hopefully spending a good amount of time with Tsubasa and Maria now they've been elevated to the show's third couple. I guess it's Shirabe and Kirika's turn to have Chris hang around as the awkward third wheel on their relationship (or was that already covered with the whole 'I will protect my kouhais' thing?), unless she's finally getting a girlfriend as well. It'd be nice to see the writers bullshit their way into getting Miku into a Gear again, too, so she can execute ridiculous combination attacks with Hibiki like Shirabe and Kirika's mighty murder-Roomba. And, of course, more Genjuro punching things.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Genjuro didn't end up doing poo poo this season. :( And Commie's subs put a lot more effort into translating the songs, aged fitting typesetting, etc. I don't know how CR subbed the old seasons, but I didn't like their slacking for GX either.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think any streaming service does much with typesetting, just dialogue subs and then maybe more subs in the same size/font for signs and such either at the top of the screen or just above the dialogue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The first two seasons on CR had all the songs subbed across the top. In GX, they forgot to do it half the time. Might have been because they were on a tight schedule (it being a simulcast and all) and translating songs is complex, but it did remove a touch of the charm.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

translating songs is complex,

It's always fun when a show's OP/ED translations come out as complete nonsense.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I really liked Chris's Season 3 song, too. "There's a big sale on bullets" is such a great line for her :allears:

In general, I like her and Hibiki's songs the best. So far, Tsubasa's songs have all boiled down to "YES, I USE A SWORD" in a way that's not kind of hilarious the way Chris's gun songs are.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 1, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I feel like Tsubasa's song this season was my favorite (though Carol's is pretty dang great too). For some reason the lyrics seemed most relevant to her character development this season, which did it for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I really liked Chris's Season 3 song, too. "There's a big sale on bullets" is such a great line for her :allears:

I'm partial to "Hey, you kids, go the hell to bed." myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want a gif of the bit in season 2 where shirabe just slooowly wheels up to dr. rev.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do love that one fight basically boiled down to:

Phara: My weapon can destroy anything conceptually defined as a sword.
Tsubasa: OMG WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO
Tsubasa's dad and Maria: Umm... honey, you do know that your name's Tsubasa, not Tsurugi, right?
Tsubasa: :aaaaa:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The concept of being able to destroy anything that defines itself or is defined as a sword is just bonkers. It's Gurren Lagann levels of "gently caress you, we're doing this." :haw:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ConanThe3rd posted:

The concept of being able to destroy anything that defines itself or is defined as a sword is just bonkers. It's Gurren Lagann levels of "gently caress you, we're doing this." :haw:

I honestly wish there had been more of that stuff. It's a really awesome/weird property for a magic weapon to have.

"Yeah, a wave of this fan can extinguish any flame. INCLUDING THE DAZZLING FIRE IN YOUR HEART :unsmigghh:"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was sure a Symphogear Season Finale. I hope this silly show gets another. The Death Roomba was brilliant. More ridiculous combination things like that would be great. Hibiki could add the fists, Tsubasa could stick some swords on there, Chris could bust out a cannon or something, and Maria could give it a whip.

I'm slightly disappointed that the moon got off scot-free this season.

I quite liked the sword destroying thing too. It's a neat concept.

Oh, and I liked Dr. Ver finally being called a hero, but the worst hero ever. I think that's good enough for him. I hope he comes back again with an even sillier reason for it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

McDragon posted:

Well that was sure a Symphogear Season Finale. I hope this silly show gets another. The Death Roomba was brilliant. More ridiculous combination things like that would be great. Hibiki could add the fists, Tsubasa could stick some swords on there, Chris could bust out a cannon or something, and Maria could give it a whip.

I'm slightly disappointed that the moon got off scot-free this season.

I quite liked the sword destroying thing too. It's a neat concept.

Oh, and I liked Dr. Ver finally being called a hero, but the worst hero ever. I think that's good enough for him. I hope he comes back again with an even sillier reason for it.

I hope he comes back as just a Nephilim arm with no body, scuttling around like Thing from the Addams Family. They have to invent a special armband to put on him to let him talk. He still insists on dressing himself in just a sleeve from a labcoat.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope he comes back as just a Nephilim arm with no body, scuttling around like Thing from the Addams Family. They have to invent a special armband to put on him to let him talk. He still insists on dressing himself in just a sleeve from a labcoat.

even better he attaches said arm to Hibiki's dad and becomes a nigh unstoppable villain

literally anime liquid snake

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gyra_Solune posted:

even better he attaches said arm to Hibiki's dad and becomes a nigh unstoppable villain

literally anime liquid snake

Hibiki is the moe Kiefer Sutherland this thread deserves.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Got around to finishing GX last night. The finale was really good, with my one little disappointment being Carol's ridiculous tiger robot thing being kinda easily destroyed. I did like they didn't cop out anything regarding the release of a massive ball of energy turning into a nuclear explosion right in the middle of Tokyo (or Yokohama, wherever that ended up happening). I do really like the fact the G trio got a lot of development and ended up being more important than the original trio in a number of ways. Maria in particular I felt really came into her own this time around, and she definitely needs a lot more interaction with Tsubasa in the very likely fourth season. The resolution to Carol and Elfnein's story was pretty predictable, really from the start, but I thought it was handled pretty well.

Overall, GX almost certainly couldn't have improved G the way G did to the first season, but it was immensely enjoyable to go through another Symphogear season. Now the wait begins for the fourth.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The first season was more artistically successful than G or GX, imo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

The first season was more artistically successful than G or GX, imo.

What is this even supposed to mean.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I thought it was better

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sylphid posted:

Overall, GX almost certainly couldn't have improved G the way G did to the first season, but it was immensely enjoyable to go through another Symphogear season. Now the wait begins for the fourth.

I couldn't really disagree with this more. G was a pretty big mess plotwise, even for a Symphogear show, and all of the characters it introduced were extremely half-baked(which is why GX was supposed to be the "second half" of G). GX tried pretty hard to flesh out the half-formed characters of the SIF girls, had a villain with a coherent plan, had entertaining sub-boss villains, and is generally a more solid product in general.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm surprised to see GX so well received here because I thought the majority of it was boring, but that there were some parts that were flat out insulting. The resolution of almost all the character arcs felt rushed and rather cheap, with Hibiki's father being particularly egregious being as how once he sees his daughter is a hero he essentially becomes a different character and all the faults that the show had built up just get forgotten, with Hibiki forgiving him like he'd never done anything wrong and then pushing her view on her family in a rather awful scene.

I hated everything about Carol too, but especially her ending. Not only does she never realize that anything she did is wrong, but the Gears seem more concerned with saving her than with the imminent explosion that took out a huge chunk of the city and probably killed thousands. The show might not have pulled any punches on that, but it also roundly ignored it and all the implications of it. After it's happened the only concern any of them have are whether Carol survived, not whether anyone was hurt, trying to help survivors or accepting guilt in such a tragic act. Nope, just crying because thank god the villain who blew it all up managed to survive.

Even the action was kind of tame, including in the finale. I can't help comparing it the finale of G, and it inevitably comes up short, because while G had the girls all teaming up to form a pair of fists to break through a huge monster and out of a collapsing dimensional gate, GX had Hibiki form a solo fist and everyone else stand around and passively give her a boost to finish the enemy on her own. Which just isn't nearly as good on any level.

And this is what Kaneko, the main guy behind it all wanted according to interviews. The director gave him a free hand according to the interviews and then when said director commented that this is what he wanted after seeing it all, he did so with a bitter smile that he still doesn't understand according to Kaneko. I really hope that next season the director takes a more active hand, because if there's more Hibiki melodrama about how she can't cause anything but violence using her fist (ignoring the fact she's made some of her best friends and saved the world three times using it) then I'm going to have to let it go, since I don't think Symphogear will be for me anymore at that point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The resolution of the character arcs felt cheap because they overloaded themselves and it's pretty apparent. You can't really do deep and meaningful character development for a whole menagerie of characters in a one cour show while still having an overarching plotline. Shirabe/Kirika, Tsubasa, and Chris's character arcs were especially badly done(the latter two primarily because they were so shoehorned in that they didn't even need to be there). Maria's was OK.

Hibiki's resolution was one of the ones I felt was done decently and it puzzles me how many people read it as terrible. Hibiki's father is a cowardly, selfish man who ran out on his family when things became too hard for him, which is why Hibiki loathes him. This is turned on its head when he explicitly risks his life to save hers, showing that deep down at his core, despite his mistakes and bad decisions, he cares about Hibiki enough to be willing to die for her. The ending scene is Hibiki forgiving him enough to give him a second chance to be a part of her life and asking her mother and grandmother to give him that chance too, not Hibiki going "dad lives here now again whether you like it or not". I guess I found him to be a pretty human character compared to most of the cast; being poo poo-scared out of my mind that people are egging my house and writing "gently caress YOU AND DIE" on my doors and simply peacing out and not wanting to deal with it is a totally understandable, if reprehensible response. I don't feel like people who make lovely mistakes and bad decisions should be forever locked out of attempting to change themselves for the better. How is her attempting to forgive her father any stupider than her forgiving Chris for making GBS threads noise everywhere and trying to capture/kill her, or forgiving Fine despite Fine trying to blow up the loving moon and destroy the planet, or forgiving the SIF girls for being complicit in Ver's plan to leave humanity to die? All of those crimes are far worse than anything her father did.

Carol explicitly realizes that what she was doing was wrong during the "gently caress it I'll burn all my memories so they don't bother me anymore" part. That was the entire point of her deciding to burn everything, because she realized that her entire life's work had been a lie and a perversion of what her father had really wanted and simply didn't want to deal with the fact that everything she had ever worked for was for nothing. Hibiki in particular is the only one super sad about Carol dying because Hibiki has never failed to save someone she's tried to befriend; even Fine ultimately relented before turning to dust. Hibiki has never had to face the concept that she can't save everyone she wants to, even when she tries her hardest. Nobody else is really sad about Carol going on the same level, and at the end they're all mostly happy because it means the totally innocent Elfnein doesn't have to die.

I can agree on a lot of the action. The budget constraints were really noticeable in later episodes, especially in the Alcanoise, who conspicuously stopped actually being animated at all pretty much from the moment the first Ignite happens.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The one personal hang up I had with GX was the removal of Hibiki's Gear being a part of her. granted, I'm sure that if they didn't remove it they've milked it for all it's worth drama wise but ignite mode really isn't a good replacement for Hibiki going up and out Alucard on everything.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
http://www.symphogear-gx.com/

Maybe you heard yesterday that Season 4 was coming. Well, have a season 5 too!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Yes! I wonder if they're going to do it as more of a two cours thing or if it will be a G/GX deal again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Life is good

Some of the girls better kiss soon though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
pump it into my motherfucking veeeiiins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

.Clash posted:

http://www.symphogear-gx.com/

Maybe you heard yesterday that Season 4 was coming. Well, have a season 5 too!

Yes.

Yes.

• Locked thread