Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh look it's ANNIE'S FUTURE BOYFRIEND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So did we ever learn why the Court and the Forest drifted apart? Cause it always seemed pretty suspicious that Coyote and his trickster cousins show up and THEN poo poo got bad and caused Coyote to create the gorge between the two factions.

And by suspicious I mean "No you idiot why would you loving trust anything he's ever done"

When coyote tells the story he says he heard about this place as a place of harmony but showed up and they were fighting and so he created the annan waters.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Pandering to the furry camp and the lesbian shipping camp in one fell swoop

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I honestly expected the "coyote knocked over a little building" was going to be a bonus page of him knocking over a trash can and crying.

Looks like Tom used that image of the collapsing empty apartments in China as reference, with the way it fell over intact with the foundation giving out

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Fried Chicken posted:

Looks like Tom used that image of the collapsing empty apartments in China as reference, with the way it fell over intact with the foundation giving out

I'm assuming you mean a photo like this: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/29/article-0-0585E9B2000005DC-994_634x455.jpg

I'm interested that Tom seems to have drawn thicknesses to the walls, but left the inside of the building as a completely empty shell - no outlines of rooms or internal structure. It seems quite purposeful.
Combined with the fact that there seem to be no people living there, is it possible that these buildings are completely empty? With literally nothing inside them? How often have we seen anybody near any of the buildings in the wider court?

How discussed to death is the idea that The Court may actually be huge in expanse, but small in population?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Noonsaliwah posted:

How discussed to death is the idea that The Court may actually be huge in expanse, but small in population?
I'm pretty sure it was directly stated somewhere in the comic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even if it isn't discussed reading the comic should give you that impression

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 30, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's like a forest, but urban instead of trees. You can go for long walks in the woods without seeing anyone or anything for a while.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1208

Imagine the scenes of city architecture are images you'd find in a forest. Like a waterfall, a big moss covered boulder, a flowery clearing, etc.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The emptiness of the Court has definitely come up a lot, and is certainly one of the remaining mysteries. That said, you can see the shape of a solution already; it's most likely the court was grown with organically-expanding technology and the buildings that are empty never had any people in them to start with. The fake Seed Bismuth tells Annie a story that's pretty much exactly that, although obviously it was lying about many things, so that story shouldn't be considered canonical until it's confirmed by an outside source. As we can see in today's page, the robots handle the actual maintenance of most of the Court, so the fact that the buildings aren't used isn't as much of a problem as it would be in the real world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Forgall posted:

I'm pretty sure it was directly stated somewhere in the comic.

Kind of.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=147

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
That kid is even cuter than when he was a bunny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

When coyote tells the story he says he heard about this place as a place of harmony but showed up and they were fighting and so he created the annan waters.

He says that the people of the court were trying to impose their will upon the forest creatures, but I've always been a bit suspicious of his interpretation of the original situation.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

He says that the people of the court were trying to impose their will upon the forest creatures, but I've always been a bit suspicious of his interpretation of the original situation.
Well, "humans imposing their will on nature" isn't exactly a stretch to believe. It's kinda what we do, almost fundamentally.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dogwood Fleet posted:

That kid is even cuter than when he was a bunny.

Finally, an inexperienced, non-threatening boy that Annie can safely date!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What do you get when you cross a bunny boy with a fire elemental?

Rabbit Cacciatore

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bilirubin posted:

What do you get when you cross a bunny boy with a fire elemental?

Rabbit Cacciatore

I would have said flambunny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Finally, an inexperienced, non-threatening boy that Annie can safely date!

I think the age difference might be an issue here. Bunny boy looks 10.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, "humans imposing their will on nature" isn't exactly a stretch to believe. It's kinda what we do, almost fundamentally.

You could claim that of any animal though, if you define them to be outside of nature. Every biological being tries its best to assert itself.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

hmm yeah nevermind he's like 8 years old

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

hmm yeah nevermind he's like 8 years old

yeah that's, like, a creepy old man in rabbit years

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Technically he's less than one year old.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

Technically he's less than one year old.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah that's, like, a creepy old man in rabbit years

Hmm, this is a nuanced topic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All of Annie's dads are terrible to her. :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wolfdad nooooo :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume the reaction is more to the firespirit thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What is she without her fire spirit? Just another human. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He just really doesn't like her new hairdo.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Oh no, you don't get to be disapproving of this Ysengrin, your lovely anger management advice is partially to blame here :argh:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Heh, Annie's going to have to make a choice. Stay as she is and lose the Forest; go back to how she was and lose the Court and her dad.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Heh, Annie's going to have to make a choice. Stay as she is and lose the Forest; go back to how she was and lose the Court and her dad.
I don't think even Tony would be happy to learn that his daughter physically cut out half her soul. He wants her to behave, but he doesn't realize what she thinks that requires.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Look what you did Tony :argh:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Ysengrin is shunning her for something she did based off of Ysengrin's life advice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That was anti-climactic

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No it was understated, a big difference. Ysengrin flying off the handle would have been more immediately impressive, but this is actually a way bigger deal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yes I know I just think it is fuinny because the thread was gearing up for ages with "Oh man he's going to be soooo cross". The fiery character having an understated response is clearly more effective and evocative though it's still an anti-climax.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Ysengrin flying off the handle would mean that he cares, either about Annie or her fire elemental side. The fact that he doesn't shows he simply doesn't care, its unimportant to him. She's unimportant to him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No he's just going to get her a hat jeez you guys

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EmmyOk posted:

Yes I know I just think it is fuinny because the thread was gearing up for ages with "Oh man he's going to be soooo cross". The fiery character having an understated response is clearly more effective and evocative though it's still an anti-climax.
I don't think that word means what you think it means. An anti-climax is something that doesn't live up to the build up. This, as you said, exceeds it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't say exceeds because that is not exactly what I am getting at. People were expecting a bomb to go off and it didn't. The tension was defused to be replaced with in my opinion a much more subtle tension. It's not an anti-climax in the sense that it was disappointing sure but it is certainly not the boom Ysengrin's character would have made us expect. If you want to quibble over semantics w/e