Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is there some way to buy an entire stack of items (ammo, vinewafers, etc) in one button press?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

Is there some way to buy an entire stack of items (ammo, vinewafers, etc) in one button press?

I had to look up how not to :v: I think you hit + over the stacks but I don't really think about it so I could be forgetting something.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

amuayse posted:

Space. Space takes the entire stack.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It seems that when you Beguile a creature to join your side, at some point they stop following you. Possibly because they level up too much? Somehow i doubt that it's intended.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

It seems that when you Beguile a creature to join your side, at some point they stop following you. Possibly because they level up too much? Somehow i doubt that it's intended.

Unless it's been changed, there's a bug where beguiling more than 1 creature breaks the beguiling on the first.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

S.T.C.A. posted:

Unless it's been changed, there's a bug where beguiling more than 1 creature breaks the beguiling on the first.

Nah I figured that out fast enough and that kinda makes sense imo. I had a friendly Salthopper just tearing poo poo up around redrock etc and after a while it just sat there, like it was fed up with killing poo poo. Same with a Snapjaw beserker(? the yellow muscledudes) further underground. Used him to clear a couple of levels and then after i was eliminating some vines, he just sat in a hallway and gave up on life or something.

I'll try beguiling some more guys tonite and see what happens.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Humans Among Us posted:

Nah I figured that out fast enough and that kinda makes sense imo. I had a friendly Salthopper just tearing poo poo up around redrock etc and after a while it just sat there, like it was fed up with killing poo poo. Same with a Snapjaw beserker(? the yellow muscledudes) further underground. Used him to clear a couple of levels and then after i was eliminating some vines, he just sat in a hallway and gave up on life or something.

I'll try beguiling some more guys tonite and see what happens.

If you get a guy into that state, zip up the save and send it to support@freeholdgames.com, should be able to diagnose it most easily that way.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Will do :)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I don't know the maths, but Brain Sunder has something like an attack/penetration roll, I think with penetration based on the attacker's Ego, and the defender's Willpower as armor. This means that you can Sunder brains dramatically harder if you have a way to lower someone's mental stats first. Flashbang or s-gas grenades, the Confusion brain power, the Berate persuasion skill, and probably other stuff, are all brainstrike multipliers. This occurred to me after a unique Snapjaw guy flashbanged himself and my level 6ish Esper gibbed him with 108 damage.

Also, Phasing + Disintegration is a fun mutation combomb. Leaves plenty of room to make the rest of your character useful, too.

Psychometry is like a character-defining mutation and seems crazy overpowered for only 4 mut points.

I'm kind of frustrated at how many merchants will sell unidentified artifacts - and price them according to their rarity - without any hint about what they are, or ability to identify them. Can we get like a "it looks like it would fit on your head" description?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

StringOfLetters posted:

I'm kind of frustrated at how many merchants will sell unidentified artifacts - and price them according to their rarity - without any hint about what they are, or ability to identify them. Can we get like a "it looks like it would fit on your head" description?

I kinda really like it like it is now, because the solution is: gotta buy all the artifacts :D It kinda depends on your Ego and if you have the snake oiler skill, but after a while you can make some pretty solid guesses anyway imo. Ego 20ish , costs 300? Probably some shotgun or something. Cost 50-60? Guessing grenades. Turns out it's a Injector? I'll take it :P

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Gonna have to try that Sunder Mind stuff next time, sounds cool and smiting dudes is rad.

Made a bit of a throw-away character to see if i can get a beguiled enemy to bug out and of course i find a bunch of really good armor in a chest and on some snapjaws, while just mashing poo poo with my warlord bro.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Humans Among Us posted:

I kinda really like it like it is now, because the solution is: gotta buy all the artifacts :D It kinda depends on your Ego and if you have the snake oiler skill, but after a while you can make some pretty solid guesses anyway imo. Ego 20ish , costs 300? Probably some shotgun or something. Cost 50-60? Guessing grenades. Turns out it's a Injector? I'll take it :P

The fact that you can price-ID them Nethack-style isn't really a point in favor of the current system. Something like "it looks like some kind of gun", "it looks like some kind of grenade", etc. would reduce the reliance on metagame knowledge.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah i just realized and was about to post 'defending nethack gameplay in 2015'

Still, i think it kinda works here for some reason. Finding the UNKNOWN artifact + a box of shotgun shells clued me in pretty quickly that things would be allright. :shobon:

e; I think the thing with trading for unknown artifacts is a bit of gambling and some people enjoy that and others don't, really.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 6, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I don't know what a two-headed slugsnout is, but gently caress that thing! It was outside of the first town with some sort of gun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Two guns, actually. In its faces. Because it's faces are guns.

Slugsnouts are really, really nasty to fight at very low levels.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Same is true for basically anything with a ranged attack that isn't a snapjaw hunter.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

dis astranagant posted:

Same is true for basically anything with a ranged attack that isn't a snapjaw hunter.

Seed vines aren't too bad, although they tend to have the bad habit of aggroing things like slumberlings

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Is there an ETA for stopping when you SEE a ranged enemy, instead of just getting hit by one? I'm a bit tired of watching auto explore dance out into the full rain of two different seed spitters until I actually took damage. It also ignores chaingun turrets until they fire too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, I finally had a character somewhat going. I was happily shredding enemies with my mental powers, and picking up all sorts of sweet loot.

Apparently some enemies can reflect that poo poo? Good to know.

How can I decrease the cooldown of sunder mind? It was doing a great job, but the 30 turn cooldown was kind of a bummer. It said I was getting like +5 levels on it or something from my ego, and it wasn't letting me put in points.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well, I finally had a character somewhat going. I was happily shredding enemies with my mental powers, and picking up all sorts of sweet loot.

How can I decrease the cooldown of sunder mind? It was doing a great job, but the 30 turn cooldown was kind of a bummer. It said I was getting like +5 levels on it or something from my ego, and it wasn't letting me put in points.

Skill cooldowns come from Willpower, but I don't know what the actual formula is. If you want to make use of powers more often, there's the Group Mind mutation...

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

I doubt it, but I wonder if your own mental mirror could reflect that, or if mental mirror doesn't count as mental damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Skill cooldowns come from Willpower, but I don't know what the actual formula is. If you want to make use of powers more often, there's the Group Mind mutation...

Seemed somewhere around cooldown/(1+(will mod/5)) for positive will mods last time I poked at it.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Have a second head!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MrWillsauce posted:

Have a second head!

That doesn't affect cooldowns, it just makes powers take fractions of a turn.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Wait, really? I built a whole character around minimizing physic power cooldowns by giving him a second head. It was one of my two runs where I survived through the main questline, and I got most of my powers down to a single-turn cooldown, which I was sure was only possible because of my two heads. I guess I misread the text of that mutation this whole time, and missed out on being a pure esper and thus several more powers. I wish I could manifest a reading comprehension mutation. At least I got to wear two hats.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, getting to wear 2 knollworm hats is nice (assuming that works at the moment)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This bug from a few years ago still happens!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=530643339

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Yeah i just realized and was about to post 'defending nethack gameplay in 2015'

Still, i think it kinda works here for some reason. Finding the UNKNOWN artifact + a box of shotgun shells clued me in pretty quickly that things would be allright. :shobon:

e; I think the thing with trading for unknown artifacts is a bit of gambling and some people enjoy that and others don't, really.

I like the current system for buying unidentified artifacts as well, but it could be more unpredictable to avoid immediate price-ID (which is easy for my characters since they almost always have 10 Ego, so I keep seeing the same standout prices for certain items). Here's a couple different approaches I thought of that could change this:

-Have all the merchants start with random likes and dislikes of the different types of equipment (re-appropriate some of the faction code for this?), and change their buy/sell prices accordingly so that you have to figure what they like/dislike first (by buying one and identifying it, or selling that type of artifact to them) before you can price ID (kind of a world building approach)
-Give unidentified items a random dram change (static, like -2 to 14 dram difference, or dynamic, like +/-15%) in price at generation in the shop (but it sticks like that until a restock) to throw off the price ID at random (a much more gamey approach)
-Have all unidentified artifacts cost the exact same base price (250/350 drams?), and become identified when you purchase them (the Diablo 2 gambling approach)
-Give boxes of crayons, folding chairs, and plastic trees the same price as a random medium/high rarity artifact when you are buying them unidentified, but not when selling them unidentified (this doesn't actually fix the issue; I just like funny traps that are disappointing and non-lethal. I'm also the person who still loves the defanged mimics in Crawl for the same reason)

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 6, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, getting to wear 2 knollworm hats is nice (assuming that works at the moment)
It does not, same for feet and hands. I mean you can wear them sure, but they don't do anything. The sad tale of buying a second pair of Plastilifer Sneakers for $800 bux and finding this out :')

Filthy Monkey posted:

Lol

Pressing '.' / del on the numpad makes you wait 20 turns iirc so you can press that a couple of times to refresh Sunder Mind before exploring.

The mutations are capped at your level. High Ego pushes them up levels, but they can't exceed your own character-level. After a while your character will outpace the ego bonus and you can stuff points in them again.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Humans Among Us posted:

It does not, same for feet and hands. I mean you can wear them sure, but they don't do anything. The sad tale of buying a second pair of Plastilifer Sneakers for $800 bux and finding this out :')

I'm not sure about knollworm skulls, and maybe this has changed, but the last time I played a four-legged mutant, the extra movement speed from river-wives sandals and spring-loaded boots did stack, just not the extra AV/DV.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

-Have all the merchants start with random likes and dislikes of the different types of equipment (re-appropriate some of the faction code for this?), and change their buy/sell prices accordingly so that you have to figure what they like/dislike first (by buying one and identifying it, or selling that type of artifact to them) before you can price ID (kind of a world building approach)

A better take on this IMO would be to give the merchants random faction likes/dislikes and then have that affect how much they charge you. "Oh, you're favored by the plant tribe? gently caress those guys, I'm charging you double on everything." I mean, you'd still be able to do some degree of price-ID by comparing relative prices (or by doing the math if you can figure out what the merchant's multiplier is) but it'd obfuscate it a bit. Plus racist rear end in a top hat merchants never cease to amuse me.

(They could also give you discounts if they like you, of course, but that's much less interesting)

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, you get two points of ego for wearing two knollworm skulls, but you only get the AV bonus from one. All of the resistances and status effects will apply when you wear something on an extra body part, but not the armor or dodge effects.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
So for multi armed characters does shield armor stack? Do you get extra armor or more chances to shield bash?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
You actually do get somewhat higher chance to block per shield equipped (as it currently checks each equipped shield); though the one that procs will determine the AV added for that block.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Unormal posted:

You actually do get somewhat higher chance to block per shield equipped (as it currently checks each equipped shield); though the one that procs will determine the AV added for that block.

Same vein: do multiple shields allow for more blocks per turn?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Unormal posted:

So my multi-armed, 4-shield wielding, double-muscled punchy mutant is viable?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Any plans to expand cybernetics for True Kin characters so they might suck less relative to mutants?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nutranurse posted:

So my multi-armed, 4-shield wielding, double-muscled punchy mutant is viable?

Punchy probably not because there's no punching skill tree to raise your d2-1 punch damage.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Same vein: do multiple shields allow for more blocks per turn?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
I have now learned to never ever enter ruins as every time I do even my best runs are just mowed down by super enemies the second I do.