Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Richter's father is dead.

I never meant to say otherwise. It just makes me feel as if Richard and Richter's father are supposed to be related somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

dasmause posted:

I never meant to say otherwise. It just makes me feel as if Richard and Richter's father are supposed to be related somehow

Well, I mean, they are.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

dasmause posted:

Considering if Richard showed up in her dream she'd have died in her sleep, her describing her dream that way is a nice oblique hint at the ending scene of the game.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
A bit late for the normal playthrough, but have you considered editing out deaths? It's not terribly interesting to watch you die and restart over and over again, trying the same stuff, no offence.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

Well, I mean, they are.

Whaaaaaa
That's news to me

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Flesnolk posted:

A bit late for the normal playthrough, but have you considered editing out deaths? It's not terribly interesting to watch you die and restart over and over again, trying the same stuff, no offence.

To be fair, the whole cycle of die/restart/repeat/die is a pretty big component of the gameplay.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It is! But after the first few we sort of get the point and it starts to get boring to watch.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Editing out deaths would not give enough time for the level's music to play.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Act 3's here! If you think you've seen tedium you ain't seen nuttin' yet.

Flesnolk posted:

I'd considered it but decided against it for the above reasons. However if it's wanted, I can add annotations on the videos to skip to the winning run.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That would probably help, it's a good compromise. I don't think it's a bad LP, but there's a few too many failed runs left in and I think it makes the videos drag a little.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Finally another opportunity to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJW1EiuxRWU

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 6, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think the letters Pardo is leaving with the bodies are meant to make people care or be curious about the Mutilator, but to my amusement they're labeled "mundane." He wants to create this myth of a creative and desperate killer, not so much because he wants to be caught (he clearly doesn't want to be caught) but because he wants acclaim. He's jealous of Jacket's media attention; if he can steal some of that with a killer of his own, he gets the fame either as the detective on the case or through people's fear of the mutilator. But he's just such a boring killer compared to the sensation of Jacket's massacres. It's weird that he can't be satisfied with his rampages against the Columbians, because holy poo poo he is an engine of death.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lotish posted:

He's jealous of Jacket's media attention; if he can steal some of that with a killer of his own, he gets the fame either as the detective on the case or through people's fear of the mutilator.

One thing that's potentially interesting (as it's left up to audience interpretation) is that both are equally valid. I like to think that he started this whole thing as a crazy sort of 'don't worry about those crazy mass murderers out there citizens, with Detectives like Me who put away the Miami Mutilator we can still keep you safe!' but then morphs more into 'what the heck this is grisly as hell what do you mean it's not enough to get media attention!? Guess I have to go even further! And further! AND FURTHER what do you mean this isn't grisly enough he appears to have been literally decapitated by a garrote made of his own intestines!'

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

One small thing with the last update: your commentary is quite low and is drowned out by some of the louder music tracks, especially on the tower block level. I recommend giving it a pass with Audacity's auto-duck feature or similar, just so that you're slightly more audible. It might only be a noticeable problem on my sound setup, right enough.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If there haven't been any requests for the soldier levels, I kind of want to see the other unique guns like the sniper rifle and maybe also the LMG if it's different from weapons in other parts of the game (I'm guessing the assault rifle and shotgun act like every other one in the game).

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
In Act 2, when the Henchman is dreaming about driving on the freeway, we see flashes of abandoned cars and bodies lying on the road.

Do you think Richard was showing the Henchman the end of the game when the nuke drops on Florida and people are dying on the freeway trying to escape the blast?

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Quiet Python posted:

In Act 2, when the Henchman is dreaming about driving on the freeway, we see flashes of abandoned cars and bodies lying on the road.

Do you think Richard was showing the Henchman the end of the game when the nuke drops on Florida and people are dying on the freeway trying to escape the blast?

Most likely, though at the same time, if you look at every scene Richard is in, death and destruction is always present with him. Like they go hand in hand. The only real exception to this rule is the one at the beginning of Death Wish where he is only foreshadowing everyone's death, not actively showing it like every other time.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The little jungle areas between "floors" on the Soldier's stages make me think of the original Metal Gear.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Searching around google for Hotline Miami fanart can be rewarding.

I'm honestly surprised that the artwork that comes out of the series' fanbase is pretty reliably not-creepy. With some exceptions.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 8, 2015

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Re: The messages and guilty conscience, couldn't that be just trying to spice the scene up? Especially since it adds to nobody really caring much about the desperate grab for attention - he's trying to make himself famous by basically using every serial killer cliché in the book.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I bet I could away with having Microsoft Sam read thread posts for commentary. Hell, if youtube still allowed public annotations I wouldn't need to bother with commentary at all.

Lacedaemonius posted:

I can add annotations on the videos to skip to the winning run.
So I'm doing this for the hard videos, does anyone care about normal or can I skip it in my laziness?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It might be good for people who are going to watch it later when the LP is archived or something. I'm not going to go back any time soon, to be honest, but I imagine someone who finds this LP later would appreciate it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I agree with Lotish.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

ManlyGrunting posted:

If there haven't been any requests for the soldier levels, I kind of want to see the other unique guns like the sniper rifle and maybe also the LMG if it's different from weapons in other parts of the game (I'm guessing the assault rifle and shotgun act like every other one in the game).

The sniper rifle is super cool, but I don't know how helpful it would be on hard mode. It's fun using it to take out all the big dudes and AK-wielding guards and then just running around stabbing everyone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I like your commentary Lacedaemonius! It's nice to hear someone's thoughts when playing, whether it be a "oh that was close" moment or complaining about bullshit.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Molly Millions posted:

The sniper rifle is super cool, but I don't know how helpful it would be on hard mode. It's fun using it to take out all the big dudes and AK-wielding guards and then just running around stabbing everyone.
I just used it for a test run on Stronghold and oh my god I'd forgotten how awful it is.

mycot posted:

I like your commentary Lacedaemonius! It's nice to hear someone's thoughts when playing, whether it be a "oh that was close" moment or complaining about bullshit.
Thanks for saying! Being my first LP I was downing liquid courage a little nervous.

P.S. For any interested expect to have the next EP up later today.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Act 4 or whatever. gently caress this game, I think I have stockholm syndrome.

E: Just finished uploading a few minutes ago so it won't be in the good resolutions for several hours.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Lacedaemonius, in the year 2015 posted:

"if you use anything else you're a huge human being"

Classy.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The vibe I get from Richard is less "death personified" and more "man's inhumanity to man". He's not about the death so much as he is about the murder. He's a lighter touch with the author because the author has the potential to not kill everyone. But the more inhumane you are, the harsher he seems to become.

EDIT: "Casevac" is probably short for Casualty Evacuation.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 10, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I didn't really see anything different about the execution animation that Crazy Evan uses when killing the one hoodlum, which was disappointing. Seemed more or less the same as all the blunt weapon executions -- three bashes to the head, the third hit leaving an unrecognizable pulp on the ground. Most of the executions go by really fast due to constant button-mashing though, so you don't notice.

The fact that you see it so often, due to the difficulty and bodycount of the game, takes all the edge off of the hosed up poo poo you do. It's the unusual executions -- such as Martin Brown literally tearing a guy's head out -- that still make you cringe when you see them later.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 10, 2015

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

That really bothered me too.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I didn't really see anything different about the execution animation that Crazy Evan uses when killing the one hoodlum, which was disappointing. Seemed more or less the same as all the blunt weapon executions -- three bashes to the head, the third hit leaving an unrecognizable pulp on the ground. Most of the executions go by really fast due to constant button-mashing though, so you don't notice.

The fact that you see it so often, due to the difficulty and bodycount of the game, takes all the edge off of the hosed up poo poo you do. It's the unusual executions -- such as Martin Brown literally tearing a guy's head out -- that still make you cringe when you see them later.
For me, it's not the image but the sound. Hearing that execution for the 5th or 6th time in a row I want to retch.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

EDIT: "Casevac" is probably short for Casualty Evacuation.
What I meant was the common pronunciation, whether it's "case-evac" (repeat the vowel) or "cas-evac" (omit it from the casualty part). As for the character of Richard, if he's supposed to inhumanity it strikes me as odd that he's so tender. I would've have expected a more Norse character, or at least Ares/Mars.

JossiRossi posted:

That really bothered me too.
I wasn't really fair, there are a lot of cool masks besides Brandon, like Graham, or Carl, or Nigel. I'll give a solid Probably Not a human being™ to everyone who used a mask that's not Tony. gently caress Tony.
In all seriousness if it offends your delicate constitutions so much I can put it on my bad list with other naughty words like "meaniehead" and "fartface".

E: Just realized I forgot to annotate the videos for the winning runs. Sorry about that! Should be fixed now though.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 11, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:yikes: Well I think that's my cue to stop watching the LP. Was cool to see the game, but ho boy.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Same, nice while it lasted I guess.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
With the last floor of Casualties, you can snipe a lot of people from outside the door before entering, which would've made it a lot easier on you. Also how I did the first floor of Takeover.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Haha welp way to be a fuckwad. Bye.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
...I can understand a certain youthful indiscretion, but is it really necessary to double down on it?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Flesnolk posted:

With the last floor of Casualties, you can snipe a lot of people from outside the door before entering, which would've made it a lot easier on you. Also how I did the first floor of Takeover.
Do you mean on the second floor or actually outside the main compound? Because I was able to shoot a couple people on the second floor from the elevator but I didn't see any windows outside the compound itself.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

...I can understand a certain youthful indiscretion, but is it really necessary to double down on it?
To me the notion of purposefully handicapping our ability to communicate with one another is far more offensive than any word could be. But my offer wasn't mockery, it was serious. I won't recant my previous use, but I can refrain from using it in future videos if everyone feels so inclined. I'd rather get into further language discussion on the thread as this forum isn't the proper venue, so if anyone wants to please either send me a PM or steam message.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I even met all the requirements to not be classified a "huge human being" and was still revulsed to know that option was on the table. Welcome to the forums, first-time LPer, and also to the ignore list of all your viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lacedaemonius posted:

Do you mean on the second floor or actually outside the main compound? Because I was able to shoot a couple people on the second floor from the elevator but I didn't see any windows outside the compound itself.

Outside the compound. Hang out just inside/just outside the doorway and move side to side, you can angle some shots through the windows and take people out who're on the far end of the corridor.

• Locked thread