Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EmmyOk posted:

Did the Rumble punch come after an eyepoke or am I fantasising

Of course it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Important, is octagon control Joe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Of course it did

Le Saboteur posted:

It did, and the crack that punch made when it connected was nuts.

Good lord how do people keep making that mistake. I'd love to see Bader poke him in the eye.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

coconono posted:

maybe Cher and Nick are besties.

I have this image in my head now of the Diaz Brothers getting blazed with Cher in a Vegas penthouse.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

El Roncho posted:

Important, is octagon control Joe.
If Gus' evasion didn't look so much like frequent fleeing then chances are he would've gotten the decision, it seems like a safe bet that the judge who only gave him one round was fixated on it

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Good lord how do people keep making that mistake. I'd love to see Bader poke him in the eye.

I remember actually laughing out loud when he hit him because it was so predictable

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dariush saying the only reason the Johnson fight looked like such a robbery was because KenFlo was biased against him

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/..._source=twitter

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Clearly Rumble would have sent Jones to the next dimension.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I'm just curious, why is the most sig. strikes a good thing?

because clumsy assholes wallowing into each others fists is the pinnacle of the Sweet Science

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

So I guess bader/Rumble is the fight to make for the next contender after jones/dc. They should give gus somebody to maul in the mean time, because I still want jones/gus 2.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I hope Ryan Bader continues to win fights convincingly just to further be ignored as a legitimate title contender.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Ryan Bader has essentially been Alpha Male'd without actually ever getting copious amounts of cracks at the title and it's great

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I look forward to Ryan Bader tepidly jabbing Rumble to a split decision win.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Will Bader's head pop off if he runs into Rumble's right like he did into Machida's?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Bader wins his 6th consecutive fight and they'll do a Bellator and go Bader's the #1 contender but he has an, uh, shoulder injury so he won't be able to fight.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Le Saboteur posted:

Will Bader's head pop off if he runs into Rumble's right like he did into Machida's?

I look forward to watching the result.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Ryan Bader could win 20 uninteresting fights against people who had names five plus years ago in a row but he'll still have lost to Tito Ortiz

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Ryan Bader could win 20 uninteresting fights against people who had names five plus years ago in a row but he'll still have lost to Tito Ortiz
As a reminder, Tito Ortiz's wins over his last 14 fights, spanning 9 years:

-Old, broken down Ken Shamrock
-Alexander Shlemenko, a middleweight
-Old, fat, horrible Stephan Bonnar (by split decision)
-Ryan Bader, at a point where Ortiz had gone over 5 years since beating a relevant opponent (Forrest Griffin by split decision)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't even imagine what goes through Ryan Bader's head when he checks his Wiki page to make sure no one's added "master" to his nicknames again.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Aurain posted:

I can't even imagine what goes through Ryan Bader's head when he checks his Wiki page to make sure no one's added "master" to his nicknames again.

He's probably got a Google alert so he only needs to log in when he gets the email letting him know it's happened.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

He says he plans on using it before he retires.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Bluedeanie posted:

He's probably got a Google alert so he only needs to log in when he gets the email letting him know it's happened.

I notice The Master is listed under his nicknames right now and I'm not sure if thats a real thing or someone just adding in some crap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Bader

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

EmmyOk posted:

Dariush saying the only reason the Johnson fight looked like such a robbery was because KenFlo was biased against him

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/..._source=twitter

I kinda agree with him, even though I disagree with the decision. That 2nd round was closer than many think, the announcers were acting like it was obviously 20-18, but I wasn't so sure that it was not tied in the judges scorecards going into the 3rd round. The crowd added to the perception that it was a travesty because they were supporting their hometown guy against a Persian.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't get why people hate Ryan Bader so much. I figure some of it is because everyone else is doing it, but really he's completely inoffensive and has ok fights. He's not outright bad or annoying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
exactly. he's the gray maynard of lhw so who gives a poo poo

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Seltzer posted:

I don't get why people hate Ryan Bader so much. I figure some of it is because everyone else is doing it, but really he's completely inoffensive and has ok fights. He's not outright bad or annoying.

dude has had 16 fights in the ufc. 9 were bad fights where very little happened. 1 was a terrible tragedy (against vlad). 2 were him getting sparked severely, 1 was him getting subbed by jones, he has three knockouts (2 of which were against chinny as hell fighters and the jardine fight was still depressing in a lot of ways) and then he has the very quick loss against, of course, tito ortiz.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Seltzer posted:

He hasn't really had an entertaining fight that he won since 2013, his last six have all been grinding wrestlefests or tepid kickboxing matches. That said, despite having some bad flaws, anyone acting like he is not a legitimate higher-level LHW is either spiteful or just plain wrong.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

despite having some bad flaws, anyone acting like he is not a legitimate higher-level LHW is either spiteful or just plain wrong.

Yea this is the annoying part. Also I'd argue that taken as a whole his fights have been of average quality, not awful. Barring his loss to Tito Ortiz 4 years ago he's only lost to top guys. He's just a bizarre guy to obsessively root against. I have no problem with him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Seltzer posted:

has ok fights.

Nope. he's had a few good performances here and there but overwhelmingly his fights have been forgettable decision fights. The Davis match, 5 round OSP match, the Rampage fight, the Perosh fight which was the most gimme opponent ever and he still couldn't do much to finish, and probably others that I did indeed forget about.

Bader's fight with Jardine was A Classic, but he still has a long ways to go until he's known more for good wins than spectacular losses to Machida/Tito/etc.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

drat I got noped by Bubba Smith really gonna have to think hard about my controversial subjective opinion that Ryan Bader has had ok fights.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Yeah, when you get really defensive about Ryan Bader you've probably hosed up in life. Agreed.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
It's almost like different people have different views on what an ok fight is and what isn't....

I think Bader is ok, I don't understand the hate for him. There are tons of more annoying, or boring, or unlikable fighters, but whatever.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm Kikuno level defensive about Ryan Bader dude.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 5, 2015

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

It's almost like different people have different views on what an ok fight is and what isn't....

I think Bader is ok, I don't understand the hate for him. There are tons of more annoying, or boring, or unlikable fighters, but whatever.

There are plenty of other bad fighters, but not being able to understand why anyone dislikes a bad fighter who has bad fights is baffling

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The cool thing is Bader has been a top 10 LHW since like the moment he won the ultimate fighter but he is still super unliked by hardcores and unknown by casuals.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 5, 2015

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Has Rashad apologized for his horrible performance?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Bader's like Thiago Tavares. You never see him in title shots, and every time he pops up, you go "He's still here?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This thread keeps delivering reasons to give Ryan Bader a title shot.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

david carmichael posted:

There are plenty of other bad fighters, but not being able to understand why anyone dislikes a bad fighter who has bad fights is baffling

But that's just it, you think he's a bad fighter with bad fights, and others don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

But that's just it, you think he's a bad fighter with bad fights, and others don't.

If you can learn one thing from these threads, it should be that some fighters are objectively cool and good and some are objectively bad and dumb

• Locked thread