Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

toanoradian posted:

I don't know where they get that 10%. The highest prediction of ISIS members is [url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/war-with-isis-islamic-militants-have-army-of-200000-claims-kurdish-leader-9863418.html]200,000[/spoiler], which is roughly 0.01% of Muslims worldwide. Al-Qaeda has less than 100 thousand, so it is still far away from 10%.

Ask the average American which country do they think has the most Muslims and that'd explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

toanoradian posted:

I don't know where they get that 10%. The highest prediction of ISIS members is 200,000, which is roughly 0.01% of Muslims worldwide. Al-Qaeda has less than 100 thousand, so it is still far away from 10%.

Next time somebody asks where the moderate muslims are, just point to the Kurdish forces kicking the poo poo out of IS. Hell, there's a reason IS has started to move South and attack more Iraqi targets: because they were getting their asses handed to them in the North.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

Giving guns to PTSD addled vets is a sure fire solution, just ask Chris Kyle.

"I can cure them, with loud combat-like noises" - Chris Kyle's last words.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Often the argument is that Muslims should be profiled because "all terrorists are Muslims" which I guess is just like buying a bag of M&Ms and throwing them away instead of eating them, because they look like poisoned M&Ms would.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ask the average American which country do they think has the most Muslims and that'd explain it.

Is it Indonesia?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

PhazonLink posted:

Is it Indonesia?

It is, but most Americans would probably say Iraq or Iran.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Under the Obama deal, over the next decade, it's predicted that they'll be ten years closer to having a nuclear bomb

How could that even be quantified.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Under the Obama deal, over the next decade, it's predicted that they'll be ten years closer to having a nuclear bomb

Any day now.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How could that even be quantified.

If you read it a few times you'll realize that the number of years in a decade can be quantified quite easily.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Defenestration posted:

[citation needed]

This one seems like a good starting point to talk about support networks for veterans returning to a country they've been away from for years and using immigrant communities as a model to get them started in civilian life but oh well close the borders kill all mexicans etc.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Predicted by who?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

This one seems like a good starting point to talk about support networks for veterans returning to a country they've been away from for years and using immigrant communities as a model to get them started in civilian life but oh well close the borders kill all mexicans etc.

actually this one makes sense if you interpret it as a bumpkin walking down a city street who sincerely believes every homeless panhandler who asks "can you help out a vet"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

socialsecurity posted:

Predicted by who?

People who only care about nuclear proliferation when it happens to countries that dislike Israel

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems like you both missed the joke.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

^^Add a third to that then.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can you tell me how you got this conclusion? Because it seems mighty hard to do that when you restrict the amount of nuclear material and its associated tech a country can use.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i have never done that ever

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

SSNeoman posted:

^^Add a third to that then.

Can you tell me how you got this conclusion? Because it seems mighty hard to do that when you restrict the amount of nuclear material and its associated tech a country can use.

In ten years Iran will be ten years closer to nuclear weapons...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Scruff McGruff posted:

In ten years Iran will be ten years closer to nuclear weapons...

Oh :downs:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

actually this one makes sense if you interpret it as a bumpkin walking down a city street who sincerely believes every homeless panhandler who asks "can you help out a vet"

Do you mean to say some of those cardboard signs may have been LYING!

I don't have figures, but I'm pretty sure illegal immigrants have high rates of homelessness. After all, they are guys with no prospects in their home country coming over with the clothes on their back and maybe some meager savings, if they didn't spend it all on a people-smuggler. If they get into trouble they have *no* backup. An injury or illness could easily put them on the streets. Tickets back home are costly, and they might not be able to go back.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Interestingly, it actually more than pays for itself to get homeless vets off the streets when you consider the medical costs associated with homelessness.

I suspect that it'd be a similar value for non-veteran homeless.

Obviously, fiscally responsible politicians are chomping at the bit to get in on this.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Not email related but my teabagger mother is on the phone bitching about how "real life isn't like Leave it to Beaver! :saddowns: and the "Real War on Women!" as well as the Oregon shooting thing. :ughh:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Would anyone like to see Fox News attempt to perform a character assassination on that clock kid? It's . . . surreal.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4520515914001/boy-arrested-for-clock-had-prior-suspensions/#sp=show-clips

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Play posted:

Would anyone like to see Fox News attempt to perform a character assassination on that clock kid? It's . . . surreal.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4520515914001/boy-arrested-for-clock-had-prior-suspensions/#sp=show-clips

This bit on Last Week Tonight was pretty amazing in the Fox bullshitting department.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqvYhb3wf4&t=112s

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mo_Steel posted:

Your response reminded me to lookup an old favorite:

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

borkencode posted:

Hey it's this old small government plan again.

A couple years ago, there was someone in this very thread who did some math and figured out it would cost about half as much to give every single school-aged child healthcare coverage than it would be to hire former soldiers to patrol schools. It would also have the benefit of saving more lives once you figure in the number of children that die every year from lack of coverage.

I posted up the math and such on Facebook and got someone who honestly said "What about the veterans though?"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Interestingly, it actually more than pays for itself to get homeless vets off the streets when you consider the medical costs associated with homelessness.

Obviously, fiscally responsible politicians are chomping at the bit to get in on this.

Anyone have the study that showed, long-term, one of the most cost-effective ways to reducing homelessness and the societal costs that comes from it was just to provide the homeless with houses at government expense?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Back to back posts. I especially like the metro one. I broke my vow never to engage this guy again and replied back with

quote:

If this were truly analogous instead of saying "we're investigating to find out why this happened and implement new safety equipment and procedures to try and help prevent it again" which is basically what they're doing, it would say "Look, there's no point in investigating or trying to prevent this in the future, if a train is going to catch fire then it's going to find a way to catch fire and there's nothing we can do about it so we're just going to keep the trains the way they are."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you read it a few times you'll realize that the number of years in a decade can be quantified quite easily.

Dammit. :golfclap:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

To be fair, some have. The rest are still freaking out at the notion of government just giving people stuff.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Matt Walsh just posted an article that it's fatherless kids that are causing all these school shootings and that's a thing I'm seeing getting shared :shepface:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ban fatherless children.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Matt Walsh just posted an article that it's fatherless kids that are causing all these school shootings and that's a thing I'm seeing getting shared :shepface:

I haven't seen any black mass shooters. Must have got his talking points mixed up.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I haven't seen any black mass shooters. Must have got his talking points mixed up.

Don't you know the Oregon guy is half black, so there you go. He isn't pure aryan, so therefore he is full negro

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
The Oregon's guy mixed racial background seems to be bringing out the Stormfront from one of my co-workers. He just linked me to this:

http://racehist.blogspot.ca/2009/04/more-data-on-racial-mixing.html

Which uses this:

https://www.nlsinfo.org/investigator/pages/search.jsp

to draw some really weird conclusions.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The guys who go in and shoot up a school and then shoot themselves only target gun free zones because they're afraid of getting shot.

Good point!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Correct, he used a very dangerous mix of fertilizer, and the bombing prompted a shitload of regulation regarding who can get it. Hasn't happened since! :buddy:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know; I got the joke, but doesn't that assume technological progress never goes backwards? Yes, I am deliberately overthinking this.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Blarghalt posted:

Correct, he used a very dangerous mix of fertilizer, and the bombing prompted a shitload of regulation regarding who can get it. Hasn't happened since! :buddy:

Yup! http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/02/nation/la-na-ammonium-nitrate-20110803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Actually, the fertilizer mix he used is pretty heavily regulated now. Anyone trying to buy bulk quantities of ANFO without a very good reason is going to set off alerts at every police department in a hundred-mile radius, and will shortly get a visit from some friendly men with the letters 'ATF' on their jackets.

e: beaten