Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

So there's that, at least.

They should play Roy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

At first, I wondered why the meatball courier grabbed Jerry. The reasoning seemed pretty forced.

But then I realised that the bukkake bride would have programmed it to do exactly something like that to ensure Rick came to the wedding/arrest party.

Rick told it to ship Jerry by accident.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Dolash posted:

They did say something about next season going in a different direction, right? It's probably too early to tell exactly what direction that'll be, if they've even decided yet themselves.

I imagine they'll abandon the idea of the family/B-stories being grounded in some way on Earth, and instead they're all on the lam.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They should play Roy.

Roy 3: Enter the Sanchez.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

At first, I wondered why the meatball courier grabbed Jerry. The reasoning seemed pretty forced.

But then I realised that the bukkake bride would have programmed it to do exactly something like that to ensure Rick came to the wedding/arrest party.

You're thinking about this way too much.

"What do you know about friendship Jerry"

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I wonder if the council of ricks are going to bust Rick out of jail causing a huge war between the council and the galactic government that will kick them off earth but will be happening in the background from now on.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

I wonder if the council of ricks are going to bust Rick out of jail causing a huge war between the council and the galactic government that will kick them off earth but will be happening in the background from now on.

Yeah, I mean even if the CoR doesn't have any real love for The Rickest Rick, they probably don't want someone with his knowledge in GF custody.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I was wondering: will Rick get a trial?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How is he Evil Morty and not Darkest Timeline Morty

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How is he Evil Morty and not Darkest Timeline Morty

Because fuuuuuuck that poo poo

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
We all know that Jerry is going to thrive in the nanny-state bureaucracy that is now Earth, but how is it going to work out for the rest of the Smiths? They're descendants and accomplices of the most wanted criminal ever. Hell, Morty killed a customs agent .

I'm willing to bet money that there's going to be a point where Jerry's going to have to willingly sacrifice his perfect new life in exchange for his family's happiness.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ashpanash posted:

I imagine they'll abandon the idea of the family/B-stories being grounded in some way on Earth, and instead they're all on the lam.

That doesn't seem likely, the finale went to some lengths to establish that the family was cleared of Rick's wrongdoing and will be allowed to live on the newly-Federalized Earth. It seems like a good setup for the sci-fi elements Rick usually introduces to enter the family's stories even while he's in jail, since worlds are colliding anyway. Unless they anticlimax everything away offscreen, breaking out Rick and going on the lamb is a pretty story-heavy way to kick off a season.

I do like that idea of Rick returning early in the season only to turn out to be a different Rick, while our Rick is still in jail. That'd actually be a pretty interesting conflict, since Rick doesn't seem to put much value in individual instances of a person but Morty probably does.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised nobody's mentioning the fact that there was a scene clearly showing Birdman and Tammy's bird-human?-hybrid baby being fed at the wedding. Bird Man Jr. totally has to figure in.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioning the fact that there was a scene clearly showing Birdman and Tammy's bird-human?-hybrid baby being fed at the wedding. Bird Man Jr. totally has to figure in.

I thought that that was just a random bird-baby.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dolash posted:

They did say something about next season going in a different direction, right? It's probably too early to tell exactly what direction that'll be, if they've even decided yet themselves.

I'm hoping it's not a bunch of episodes about Rick's life in prison, Red Dwarf did an entire season set in prison and it was pretty lovely.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
On the other hand Guardians of the Galaxy was the most fun i've ever had in an alien prison.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GueroDeEncanta posted:

If you need to calm your withdrawals, we just released our first expansion pack for the Rickstaverse! Check it out, I'm pretty proud of this one. https://instagram.com/RickandMortyRickstaverse/

Nice!
Was the Steven Universe reference in any way inspired by this thread?

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm hoping it's not a bunch of episodes about Rick's life in prison, Red Dwarf did an entire season set in prison and it was pretty lovely.

Although that wasn't so much a problem with the setting as just the fact that the better writer of the original two had left the show.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I just binge-watched this entire show in the last two days.

It was pretty interesting watching a TV show go from "Promising, but still shaky and finding it's footing" ---> "OK, now it's really finding it's rhythm and delivering" --> "Wow, now it's REALLY hitting its stride and delivering absolute gems, this is amazing" --> "OK, now it's getting too meta and self-referential and getting too far up its own rear end and has kind of jumped the shark" over the course of seven hours.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bbf2 posted:

It was pretty interesting watching a TV show go from "Promising, but still shaky and finding it's footing" ---> "OK, now it's really finding it's rhythm and delivering" --> "Wow, now it's REALLY hitting its stride and delivering absolute gems, this is amazing" --> "OK, now it's getting too meta and self-referential and getting too far up its own rear end and has kind of jumped the shark" over the course of seven hours.

It's meta and self-referential 22 minutes in.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

weekly font posted:

It's meta and self-referential 22 minutes in.

Yes, but I didn't feel it was TOO much so to the point of distraction until the final four or five episodes

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bbf2 posted:

Yes, but I didn't feel it was TOO much so to the point of distraction until the final four or five episodes

If you're thinking of the second watching TV episode, yeah, that seemed to be a case of "Everyone loved it the first time, suits want us to do it again", except lightning doesn't strike twice. Otherwise, I can't say I'm really getting where the show steps out and gets too referential in the last five or so episodes. I'm mostly curious since a lot of what I hear about the show is from screaming goons from inside this thread and it'd be refreshing for a different take.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Dolash posted:

That doesn't seem likely, the finale went to some lengths to establish that the family was cleared of Rick's wrongdoing and will be allowed to live on the newly-Federalized Earth. It seems like a good setup for the sci-fi elements Rick usually introduces to enter the family's stories even while he's in jail, since worlds are colliding anyway. Unless they anticlimax everything away offscreen, breaking out Rick and going on the lamb is a pretty story-heavy way to kick off a season.

Who knows what they actually go with, but as long as we're speculating, I don't think the family trapped in (and learning about) a 'Federation world' Earth would really be very compelling as a premise, particularly to these writers. Unless they can come up with some really interesting consequences of a Federated Earth - which, if I'm guessing, is not really what they want to do. They just want to tell varied stories, not provide a sensible mythology for how the Rick & Morty universe actually works.

That's why I think the idea of "changing it up" is more about simply removing Earth from the equation, more or less entirely. They're still a grounded family, just a family that now travels around the absurd space of this universe. I say "on the lam" because it sets up a possible running background framework, but that's the kind of thing that comes up in one episode out of four.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bbf2 posted:

Dan Harmon

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
For some reason Mister Poopybutthole attacking the pizza guy reminded me of Tyler Durden bleeding into the face and mouth of the bar owner in Fight Club.

Also, that was a good episode and this is a great show. The minutiae some of you loving whine about...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

bbf2 posted:

ah man shits always different if you binge watch instead of waiting between episodes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clearly what they're going to do is just have the season premiere be a totally normal episode as if the finale never happened. No end of episode reveal that it's an alternate universe or anything. Just no continuity at all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Some people are too eager to claim hip-hop the show is dead (or at least already up its own rear end) but I think we've got at least one more fantastic season left. That'll give us three excellent seasons, after that it'll likely nest in its own rear end for good, probably only pausing to crawl a little deeper.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AmiYumi posted:

Also, once again I am reminded how great it is that goons do not write for TV, because y'all have garbage ideas. You know what I want to see? The premiere's cold open takes all of your "Evil Morty" and "Council of Ricks" and "Buff Morty 10 years later" spergy fanfic, makes it as awful and TvTropes as possible, and then we smash-cut to a different universe where none of that happened and never mention it again. Then the show can continue with an actual good plot, by writers who know what the gently caress they're doing.

It's really, really important that we write out all the possible lovely future plot twists in this thread to stop them actually appearing in the show. There was an interview with the show's creators ages ago where they were talking about how there was some aspect of Rick's backstory which they had kept out of the first few episodes but then someone on Reddit guessed it so they dropped it completely.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

someone on Reddit guessed it so they dropped it completely.

This seems very petulant and also really impractical.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whiz Palace posted:

This seems very petulant and also really impractical.

Classic Roiland!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

...there was some aspect of Rick's backstory which they had kept out of the first few episodes but then someone on Reddit guessed it so they dropped it completely.

Kinda, but not quite--They'd decided from the beginning that they weren't going to do any big-reveal "and that's how THIS became the way it was!" episodes, but that they had a big secret (probably more) in mind for the backstory, and someone on reddit figured it out and they were like "well good thing we didn't hang any hopes on blowing minds with a big reveal"

Here's the interview you're talking about (relevant part bolded):

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-one-secret-rick-and-morty-guys-will-never-r-222269

quote:

DH: We haven’t talked about this in a while, but before we wrote the first episode of Rick And Morty, we had a conversation where, I think it was Mike McMahan who said, “Should we decide that there is a secret we keep from the audience forever?” But we always know it.” I won’t say what. We said, “Oh, what about this?” And we went, “Yeah, that’s really cool.” I was kind of obsessed with it for a while. But I think what’s really interesting about this new golden age of TV is that [Snaps fingers.] halfway through the first season, somebody made a Reddit post where they threw out the theory, which was exactly what we had talked about, basically. It was like, “Oh, thank God we didn’t really do anything with it.”

JR: We were operating with that thought, though. We were writing season one with that thought in our heads that it could be the case.

DH: I think that’s a really remarkable thing about today’s TV audience. You cannot write payoff-based TV anymore because the audience is essentially a render farm. They have an unlimited calculation capacity. There’s no writers’ room that can think more than 20 million people who can think about it for an hour a day. That season of Dexter being the big example: They had planned out this whole Fight Club reveal that there was a character that didn’t really exist except in someone else’s head. They’d planned out the whole clever thing, and they were going to reveal it, and all this stuff, and then after episode one aired, somebody on Reddit just like, [Snaps fingers.]. You can’t do it anymore. You can’t try to fool the audience.

JR: Unless you’re M. Night Shyamalan, and it’s just a movie. You can do it. Go ahead, do it. But if it’s a series—

DH: But the really cool thing is that render farm reduces your job as a writer to story and jokes. Character. Just things that in the moment that you provide for them, it’s like you’re spinning plates or juggling. This idea that you’re a magician that, like, gets there early and puts threads somewhere—they’re always going to see it.

They're almost certainly talking about the Evil Morty theory.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What Evil Morty theory are you talking about? It says that it was a post from halfway through season 1, and we didn't see the Evil Morty we know until the second to last episode. Was there a prior theory about an Evil Morty?

I am just genuinely curious, I only started following this thread since I started watching shortly before the season 2 premiere, so I am not up on any fan theories.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

What Evil Morty theory are you talking about? It says that it was a post from halfway through season 1, and we didn't see the Evil Morty we know until the second to last episode. Was there a prior theory about an Evil Morty?

I am just genuinely curious, I only started following this thread since I started watching shortly before the season 2 premiere, so I am not up on any fan theories.

Oh yeah! Duh, that's me not thinking for even a second. Revising to say "the theory that Rick C-137's original Morty is the one we see left behind to get eaten/mauled by the giant frog creatures in the title sequence"

Which would later on become the Evil Morty theory

https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/2nzm2a/the_rickest_rick_master_theory/

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Kinda, but not quite--They'd decided from the beginning that they weren't going to do any big-reveal "and that's how THIS became the way it was!" episodes, but that they had a big secret (probably more) in mind for the backstory, and someone on reddit figured it out and they were like "well good thing we didn't hang any hopes on blowing minds with a big reveal"

Here's the interview you're talking about (relevant part bolded):

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-one-secret-rick-and-morty-guys-will-never-r-222269

I think it's more likely the "every episode is a different Rick & Morty from the multiverse" theory. Which allows them really loose rules on continuity

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Since the season ended, I figure we could have a little survey.

What's your favorite episode in the show's run thus far, and why?

Who's your favorite side character?

Do you have a favorite joke/gag/line from the show?

What's your least favorite episode, and what could have been done to redeem it in your eyes?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think it's more likely the "every episode is a different Rick & Morty from the multiverse" theory. Which allows them really loose rules on continuity

They could really play with this fan theory in season 3 episode 1. The shoddiest idea I've had so far is "The episode starts by showing Rick back at the family, it seems like the last season finale never happened and everything's normal aside from Earth being a tourist attraction. As the show goes on, Rick keeps trying to leave the house while Jerry is trying to get everyone to give him the attention he desperately craves and Morty keeps asking him about what happened. At the end of the episode, Rick gets accidentally shot and it's revealed he's an evolved memory parasite and we see that our Rick is still in prison. Right before the credits, we see a giant bar of soap land on him.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 6, 2015

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Oh, hadn't heard that one. I like that too. Right now the only theories I'm aware of are Evil Morty and this one you just posted. Are there any other good or fun theories out there?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Completely pedestrian answers here:

Total Rickall, because it's exactly what the show is about.

Krombopulos Michael.

Tiny Rick's songs.

Interdimensional Cable 2, by not having an Interdimensional Cable 2.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Whiz Palace posted:

Krombopulos Michael.

Tiny Rick's songs.

Almost how I would have answered, but my favorite joke is probably "Morty. y-y-you've gotta turn into a car" or that drat screaming sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

Krombopulos Michael.

"I'm a stickler Mr. Meeseeks..."

• Locked thread